{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Latest News

15th September 2023 22:51

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Accrington Stanley 0 - 3 Mansfield Town
Keillor-Dunn 29, Maris 35, Lewis 75
Attendance: 3,094 (1,034 from Mansfield)

Date: 9 September 2023

By Martin Shaw at the Wham Stadium (Crown Ground)

Mansfield Town moved into third place in League Two with a 3-0 win at Accrington Stanley this afternoon. The game was memorable for two sensational goals: an overhead kick from Davis Keillor-Dunn, and a volley from just under 40 yards from Aaron Lewis. The win was Mansfield's first ever at this ground at the 8th attempt. And Mansfield's first win against Accrington in the league since Accrington reformed as a club, at the 15th attempt.

Mansfield remain unbeaten in league and cup, and are still the only EFL club to be unbeaten this season in all competitions.

The Stags welcomed back Aaron Lewis from injury, straight into the starting XI, and Hiram Boateng too, as a substitute. James Gale was preferred in the starting line-up to Will Swan.

On a very hot afternoon, the first half was one of very few chances, and how ironic was it that having averaged more than 20 shots per game in the opening games of the season but converted a low ratio of chances, the Stags scored with their first two shots of the game, after 29 and 35 minutes, and had just 3 shots in the first half to lead 2-0.

Accrington had the first chance of the game, after 23 minutes, as Josh Andrews headed wide.

Mansfield took the lead after 29 minutes. Lewis played a ball down the line to Gale on the right, Gale crossed in, the ball bounced up, Keillor-Dunn took it on his chest, and then sent an overhead kick into the top left corner of the net from 10 yards. What a goal!

The only Stags players who have scored with overhead kicks in the last 30 years are Phil Stant, Paul Holland, Chris Greenacre, Richie Barker, Rob Duffy, Lee Stevenson, and Danny Rose. Unless I am forgetting anyone?

It was 2-0 after 35 minutes. Lewis slid another ball down the line on the right, for Keillor-Dunn, who got to the byline and crossed low into the middle where Maris side-footed into the bottom left corner of the net from 9 yards. A clinical finish from Maris and a nice assist from Keillor-Dunn.

2-0 at half time.

It could have been 3-0 after 50 minutes, after a great tackle from Lewis, Lucas Akins played forward for Keillor-Dunn to go 1-on-1 with the keeper but Keillor-Dunn couldn't finish. A minute later, Keillor-Dunn had the ball in the net but the offside flag was up.

Sloppy play by Lewis Brunt after 57 minutes, losing the ball allowed Josh Andrews to shoot, Pym pushed his shot out, and Jack Nolan put the rebound against the roof of the stand.

Sub Hiram Boateng fired just wide of the left post from 25 yards after 59 minutes.

Mansfield sealed the game after 75 minutes in incredible fashion. Accrington keeper Toby Savin cleared the ball from his area, it reached Lewis on the full, and he sent it back goalwards with a cushioned side-footed volley from just under 40 yards and it nestled into the top left corner of the net. Unbelievable. It was Lewis's first goal for Mansfield.

There was a long delay as a ball was smashed into the stand and struck a spectator. Hopefully he is ok.

Play restarted after 90+2 minutes with 14 more minutes to play. A great chance for sub Ollie Clarke after 90+8 minutes but he slipped as he was about to shoot. Then on 90+10, Clarke sent Swan away down the left, he cut inside and fired powerfully goalwards but the keeper somehow blocked it.

A great win for the Stags. A brilliant afternoon for the sun-soaked Stags fans, more than 1,000 of them, who enjoyed 3 great goals and a rare win at Accrington. A super performance. Keillor-Dunn and Lewis will get the headlines for their goals, but everybody played well.



Accrington Stanley 0-3 Mansfield Town
Keillor-Dunn (29'minutes), Maris (36'minutes), Lewis (75'minutes)
Keillor-Dunn (36'minutes)

Match report supplied by PA Media.

Aaron Lewis scored a spectacular 40-yard volley to maintain Mansfield's unbeaten start to the League Two campaign with a 3-0 win over Accrington.

Lewis got the ball straight from a Toby Savin clearance on 75 minutes and hit it first time into the far corner of the net to complete the scoring as the Stags moved up to third place in the league.

Mansfield had two shots on target in the first half and took them both.

They opened the scoring after 29 minutes when James Gale's ball into the box was chested down by Davis Keillor-Dunn and his superb overhead kick found the top of the net.

It was two on 36 minutes when Keillor-Dunn turned provider, his low cross being fired home by George Maris from eight yards.

Stanley's Jack Nolan had a long-range strike saved by Christy Pym in added time in the first half while, just after the restart, Savin denied Maris a second.

It was action-packed, with Pym pushing out a fierce Josh Andrews strike and Nolan could only put the follow-up over the bar, while substitute Hiram Boateng fired narrowly wide for the Stags.

Then came the Lewis wonder goal to seal three points for Mansfield.

Match Stats
Home Team Accrington Away Team Mansfield
Possession Home 53% Away 47%
Shots Home 13 Away 12
Shots on Target Home 2 Away 5
Corners Home 5 Away 4
Fouls Home 13 Away 17


Mansfield Town end Accrington Stanley hoodoo with big away win
chad.co.uk, Sat 9 September 2023

Mansfield Town finally ended their long wait for a win over bogey side Accrington Stanley in style with a 3-0 away hammering of Stanley to move up to third this afternoon.

It was a first league win over them in 15 attempts and Stags' last win over Stanley came in March 1961 against the previous incarnation of the club.

Davis Keillor-Dunn put them on their way with a stunning overhead kick in the first half and George Maris added a second soon after before Aaron Lewis added a 45 yard wonder goal after the break as Stags remain unbeaten after the first nine games.


Boss Nigel Clough made two changes from the side against Bradford City last week.

Lewis was back into the starting line-up after returning from injury to replace Ollie Clarke, whilst James Gale came in for Swan up front.

There was a scrappy start to proceedings in sweltering Lancashire conditions.

Jordan Bowery created a moment for the visitors but Maris nodded his cross into no man’s land.

Stanley threatened to take the lead as Birmingham City loanee Josh Andrews headed just wide before the players took the first drinks break.

After a stale opening half an hour, the Stags took the lead in some style as Keillor-Dunn used his chest to control Gale’s cross before unleashing a breathtaking overhead kick.

And after hitting the front the Stags doubled their lead seven minutes later.

It wasn’t a goal to rival the Scot’s super strike but they all count as Maris completed a decent move which started with Lewis slipping the visitors in down the right and Keillor-Dunn pulling back a low cross.

Stags’ stopper Christy ensured Clough’s charges went into the break with a two-goal cushion as he kept out Jack Nolan’s powerful 25-yard drive deep in first-half stoppage time.

Dangerous Keillor-Dunn went close to a second five minutes into the second half but was thwarted by Toby Savin.

Nolan squandered a great chance to get Stanley back into the contest when he fired wide from inside the box after Lewis Brunt had given the ball away when bringing it out.

Sub Hiram Boateng failed to test Savin as his curling effort flew narrowly wide.

But the returning Lewis wrapped up the points with 15 minutes to go with first-time strike from a poor Savin clearance.

With the keeper out of position, Lewis simply cushioned it back goalwards from 45 yards and found the open goal with a fantastic finish.

Substitute Swan was denied by a good Savin save at the near post in the ninth minute of added time as the sides were forced to play an additional 16 minutes following a supporter needing medical treatment after taking an Accrington clearance into the stand in the face.

ACCRINGTON: Savin, Mellor, Hills, Rich-Baghuelou (Gubbins, 67), Longelo, Conneely (Woods, 90+5), Coyle (Adedoyin, 77), Nolan (Lowe, 90+6), Leigh, Whalley, Andrews. SUBS NOT USED: Quirk, McIntyre, Woods.

STAGS: Pym, Bowery, Flint, Brunt, MacDonald (Cargill, 78), Reed, Lewis (Williams, 90+2), Maris (Boateng, 57), Keillor-Dunn (Swan, 77), Gale (Clarke, 90+2), Akins. SUBS NOT USED: Flinders, O'Toole.

REFEREE: Ross Joyce

ATTENDANCE: 3,094 (1,034)


REPORT: Stanley 0 Mansfield Town 3

Accrington Stanley lost 3-0 to unbeaten Mansfield Town at the Wham Stadium.

Jay Rich-Baghuelou returned to the starting line-up for the Reds after missing two games as he recovers from an injury which kept him out for almost all of last season.


While it was a full-bloodied battle there were no real chances in the opening 20 minutes.

The first chance to Stanley came on 24 minutes when Tommy Leigh’s ball in was headed wide by Josh Andrews.

Mansfield opened the scoring on 29 minutes with their first real attack. James Gale’s ball into the box wasn’t cleared and it was chested down by Davis Keillor-Dunn who, with his back to goal, hooked the ball home.

The Stags made it two on 36 minutes when Aaron Lewis sent Keillor-Dunn free on the right and his cross was fired home by George Maris.

Jack Nolan had a long-range strike saved by Christy Pym in added time in the first half but, with two shots on target in the first half, Mansfield were clinical.

Stanley started the second half on the attack with a couple of dangerous balls into the Mansfield box but Toby Savin had to be quickly out to stop Maris running onto the ball and grabbing a second on 49 minutes.

The Reds came close on 56 minutes when Mansfield lost the ball and a fierce drive by Andrews was pushed out by Pym but Nolan’s follow up was over the bar.

Brad Hills headed a Lewis strike off the line while sub Hiram Boateng fired narrowly wide for the Stags.

Stanley appealed for a penalty when Shaun Whalley went down in the area on 64 minutes but referee Ross Joyce waved them away.

Mansfield made it three on 75 minutes when Lewis got on the end of a Savin clearance and hit the ball first time, finding the top corner of the net from 40 yards.

There was 14 minutes of added time after a clearance on 83 minutes hit a spectator who needed lengthy treatment from the medical staff.

In this time Savin saved well to deny Will Swan at the near post while Leigh fired wide from a free kick.

Stanley: Savin, Mellor, Rich-Baghuelou (Gubbins), Hills, Longelo, Whalley, Coyle (Adedoyin), Conneely (J Woods), Nolan (Lowe), Leigh, Andrews.

Subs: McIntyre, B Woods, Quirk

Yellow: Rich-Baghuelou

Attendance: 3,094 (1,034)