{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from April 2023

19th April 2023 21:42

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Grimsby Town 1 - 1 Mansfield Town
Lloyd 52. Bowery 39.
Attendance: 7,088 (1236 from Mansfield)

Date: 15 April 2023

Martin Shaw at Blundell Park

Mansfield Town drew 1-1 at Grimsby Town yesterday. A frustrating result for the Stags. In a one-sided first half, Mansfield were deservedly ahead through a Jordan Bowery goal, and had 6 shots to none from Grimsby, who barely got anywhere near the Stags penalty area. The second half was even, Grimsby equalised when a penalty was saved by Christy Pym but the rebound was knocked in. Both sides could have won it, with Pym making a good save from Lloyd, but Mansfield should have had a penalty in stoppage time, and on the basis that the Stags were so much the better side in the first half and the second half was even, I think the Stags would have just about deserved a victory.

Mansfield were once again without 8 players through injury. The news that Ollie Clarke will be out “for a few weeks” is yet another massive blow. Rhys Oates was initially named on the subs bench, but had to pull out. Stephen McLaughlin was at least able to come on for the last few minutes, a welcome return, but was only capable of a maximum of ten minutes.

With Callum Johnson now fit, and James Gale having been ill, Gale was on the bench, and Jordan Bowery moved further forward, on the right of Lucas Akins, with Davis Keillor-Dunn on the left. Callum Johnson was at right back, as Elliott Hewitt switched to left back in a 4-3-3 formation.

The first half was completely one-sided. Grimsby barely got near the Stags penalty area and didn’t have a single shot, while Mansfield had 6 shots. Mansfield were deservedly in front after 39 minutes. Hewitt crossed from the left, Bowery took the ball down beautifully 10 yards from goal, and then volleyed goalwards. Keeper Max Crocombe got down to his left and got a hand on it but couldn’t keep it out. In truth the keeper probably should have done better, but it was a fine goal from Bowery, with good play to control the ball then volley it. His 4th goal of the season and his first since February but he has been playing wing-back or full-back most of that time. Hewitt’s 8th assist of the season (see my stats below), equal top in the assists table with Quinn and Lapslie.

Grimsby equalised after 52 minutes. Otis Khan chipped the ball in behind the Stags defence, George Lloyd ran on to it, getting away from Callum Johnson, knocked the ball past Pym and was brought down by Pym as Pym tried to get the ball. A definite penalty. A yellow card for Pym as he tried to get the ball. Callum Johnson got caught out and should have done better. Nigel Clough put it down to rustiness on Callum Johnson’s part, having been out injured. Khan took the penalty and Pym made a brilliant save, diving to his right. Lloyd though headed the rebound into the net. Nigel Clough said his defenders should have been more alive to the rebound. That is right and Boateng and Kilgour could have been quicker. But a view of the video shows that Lloyd was a yard inside the area when Khan struck the penalty, and it should have been retaken. Really unlucky for Pym anyway, who got no reward for his excellent penalty save.

The rest of the half panned out evenly. Pym made a magnificent save after 64 minutes, as Harry Clifton sent Lloyd through 1-on-1. Lloyd shot from the edge of the area, and Pym dived to his left to push away the shot one-handed.

Lucas Akins made a brilliant run forward after 74 minutes to the edge of the area, and his low left footed shot was well-saved, pushed away by Crocombe. Mansfield thought they were awarded a penalty after 72 minutes, as Bowery was brought down, just outside the box. From my position in the press box, the referee appeared to point towards the penalty spot, but he was pointing at the player who had brought him down to give him a yellow card. The foul was just outside the box and Davis Keillor-Dunn fired the free kick into the wall. Keillor-Dunn wasted a number of good positions in the second half.

Mansfield made three changes after 89 minutes, bringing on Law, Gale and McLaughlin. Some Mansfield fans on social media have criticised Nigel Clough for not making changes earlier, but Oates had been removed from the bench, Gale had been ill, and Danny Johnson had been ineffective in his recent time on the pitch (since AFC Wimbledon), hence in my opinion the 11 on the pitch were best placed to find a winner, as the Stags kept pushing forward to the very end. Law would be the only one I might have brought on earlier. With a fit Swan, or a fit Oates, or even Gale not having been ill, it would have been completely different in terms of substitutions clearly.

As it was, Mansfield should have been awarded a penalty after 90+2 minutes. A free kick from just inside his own half from Pym was flicked on by Akins, and Bowery got goalside of his defender Anthony Glennon just outside the six yard box. As Bowery was looking to shoot, Glennon made contact with him, was nowhere near getting the ball, and brought Bowery down. The referee gave a goal kick, as Glennon feigned injury. A poor decision from the referee, who was bad in the game, for both sides. So Mansfield were denied an opportunity to win the game at the death

With Salford losing at home to Colchester, the point moved Mansfield back into 7th place, level with Salford on points, with a game in hand, and above Salford on the basis of having scored more goals. Indeed Mansfield are the top scorers in League Two, with one goal more than Salford. The Stags are 7 games unbeaten, but 5 of those were draws, and at least a couple of those draws should have been wins with better finishing.

The Stags move on to Newport County on Tuesday night. Graham Coughlan will of course have a point to prove. But Mansfield need the points. If you’re not travelling to Newport, you can buy a match pass to watch the game with us on iFollow Stags.



Grimsby Town 1-1 Mansfield Town
Lloyd (52'minutes)
Bowery (39'minutes)
Hewitt (39'minutes)
Pens Missed
Khan (52'minutes)

Match report supplied by PA Media.

Mansfield moved into the League Two play-off places on goals scored after a draw with Grimsby at Blundell Park.

Jordan Bowery opened the scoring for Mansfield in the first half before George Lloyd replied with a rebounded header after Otis Khan saw his 52nd-minute penalty saved.

Mansfield defender Elliott Hewitt nodded over from a corner with 12 minutes on the clock against his former club shortly before team-mate Lucas Akins curled wide on the angle with his left foot.

Chances were few and far between throughout the first half, but the play-off chasing Stags did manage to take the one that came their way when Bowery prodded beyond Max Crocombe and into the Grimsby net.

Grimsby improved markedly upon the restart and were awarded a penalty when Mansfield goalkeeper Christy Pym bundled Lloyd over. Pym nearly redeemed himself when saving from Khan, but Lloyd turned home the rebound.

As the game ticked by, Khan and Lloyd went close to earning Grimsby three points as seventh-placed Mansfield held firm to make it seven matches unbeaten.

Match Stats
Home Team Grimsby Away Team Mansfield
Possession Home 56% Away 44%
Shots Home 15 Away 18
Shots on Target Home 5 Away 3
Corners Home 3 Away 6
Fouls Home 12 Away 7


Unbeaten run extended, but Mansfield Town see two points dropped as Grimsby Town hit back
chad.co.uk, Sat 15 Apr 2023

Mansfield Town let a potentially priceless two points slip as Grimsby Town hit back from behind in today's 1-1 draw at Blundell Park.

But the Stags remain firmly in the play-off frame as they extended their unbeaten run to seven games, though they let the hosts back into contention following a dominant opening 45 minutes.

The result edged Stags back into the seventh and final play-off spot but saw the gap to the top three automatic places stretch to seven points with only five games to go.

With a big army of 1,236 away fans behind the goal, there was a terrific atmosphere in the bright sunshine ahead of kick-off at Blundell Park.


The Stags made a lively start, with Stephen Quinn only just failing to meet Lucas Akins’ measured through-ball.

The visitors’ first major chance came after 13 minutes.

Elliott Hewitt rose superbly to meet Davis Keillor-Dunn’s in-swinging corner-kick, but his glancing header fizzed inches over the top.

Akins then tried his luck from distance, only to fire off target.

The Stags were definitely on top, with Quinn next to threaten when his pile-driver was blocked by a defender.

It was becoming clear that FA Cup heroes Grimsby had gone off the boil somewhat of late thanks to just one win in their previous six games, but could the Stags take advantage?

They finally grabbed the goal they had been threatening six minutes before the break.

Hewitt crossed in from the left, reaching Jordan Bowery, who took a touch, turning well before slotting smartly past keeper Max Crocombe.

However the Mariners evened it up seven minutes after the restart.

After Stags’ keeper Christy Pym upended the advancing George Lloyd in the box as he tried to round him, referee Neil Hair pointed to the spot.

Pym saved Otis Khan’s penalty, only for Lloyd to dart in and head home the rebound.

Hiram Boateng came close to an immediate response for the Stags, but it was now ‘game on’ again.

Keillor-Dunn also tested Crocombe as the Stags were building momentum again.

However, that momentum fizzled away towards the closing stages and, despite a late triple change which saw a welcome return from injury for Stephen McLaughlin, Nigel Clough’s men were forced to settle for a share of the spoils though felt they should have had a penalty at the death when Bowery got goalside of his man and went down.

GRIMSBY: Crocombe, Smith, Gallacher (Driscoll-Glennon, 46), Maher, Efete, Morris (Holohan, 67), Green (Khouri, 85), Clifton, Khan (McAtee, 85), Lloyd, Taylor (Orsi, 67). SUBS NOT USED: Emmanuel, Hunt.

STAGS: Pym, Hewitt, Kilgour, Perch, C Johnson, Wallace, Boateng (McLaughlin, 89), Quinn (Law, 89), Keillor-Dunn (Gale, 89), Bowery, Akins. SUBS NOT USED: Flinders, Harbottle, D Johnson, Oates.

REFEREE: Neil Hair.

ATTENDANCE: 7,088 (1,236 away).


Grimsby Town battle back in the second half to share the points with Mansfield Town
grimsbytelegraph.co.uk, By Sam Allen, Sat 15 Apr 2023

A spirited second-half display rescued a point for Grimsby Town as they drew 1-1 with Mansfield Town at Blundell Park, in what was the Mariners' tenth home draw of the league season

George Lloyd’s fifth goal for Town and his second in as many games, heading in the rebound of Otis Khan’s saved penalty was enough for Paul Hurst’s side to take something from the game after a poor first half showing.

It was a tentative start to the game for the Mariners who allowed the visitors plenty of the ball in the opening 20 minutes with which they created a couple of half chances, with former Town defender Elliott Hewitt and Lucas Akins going close in that time.


Town were happy to play on the counter but could not get out of their own half often enough with the ball to really worry Mansfield in the first half who were comfortable in the game while not creating a huge amount themselves.

It was another turgid half of football at Blundell Park for Town who deservedly went behind five minutes before the break. Jordan Bowery received the ball in the box from a cross from the left side, firing shot lacking in power but still enough to beat Max Crocombe.

That was all she wrote for the first half as Grimsby lacked imagination going forward and were fragile at the back at times in another half of football at home that failed to capture the imagination of the supporters in attendance.

Town needed a response in the second half to stop the same questions being asked of the team again after the game. They were gifted an opportunity to get back into the game when the Mansfield defence let the ball bounce through to Lloyd who had got in behind, with goalkeeper Christy Pym coming off his line and bringing down the Grimsby forward for a penalty.

Otis Khan stepped up to take the spot-kick that was saved by Pym, but the man who won the penalty was following up and headed in the rebound from close range to level the game just after the break.

The hosts had the momentum in the game for the next 10 minutes with Khan firing just wide with a shot from outside the box soon after the goal followed up by a brilliant save from Pym to deny Lloyd doubling his personal and Town’s goal tally for the afternoon with a powerful volley.

Mansfield still looked a threat on the counter attack and Crocombe was tested by shots from Hiram Boateng and Lucas Akins shortly after one another but saved both well to keep the scores level. There was not much between the teams overall as the game entered the final stages and while both threatened to pull away, neither could do so as the points were shared.


Grimsby Town player ratings as George Lloyd leads the way again for the Mariners
The ratings out of ten for the Mariners players in their 1-1 draw with Mansfield Town

grimsbytelegraph.co.uk, By Sam Allen, Sat 15 Apr 2023


Grimsby Town (4-3-1-2)

Max Crocombe 6

Poor distribution in the first half and probably could have done better with Jordan Bowery's shot, which lacked power but was still able to beat the Town 'keeper for the first goal. Better in the second half with a couple of decent saves.

Michee Efete 6

Struggled at times defending tricky winger Davis Keillor-Dunn, especially later on in the game on tired legs, but it was an ok performance from the right-back.

Andy Smith 6

Passing out from the back was a bit suspect in the first half but improved after the break and was more of an outlet for starting Town attacks.

Niall Maher 6

One or two important interceptions in the second half when Mansfield looked threatening.

Owen Gallacher 4

Positioning was off for Mansfield's goal in the first half and he was subbed off at half-time after a tough 45 minutes.

Kieran Green 7

Another strong performance in the middle for Town's midfield enforcer. Hard-working display and deserved the plaudits he received when subbed off late.

Bryn Morris 5

Tough game for Morris who had some decent moments in the game but was caught out a couple of times in possession and ultimately taken off in the second half.

Harry Clifton 7

Looked the most likely to create something in the first half for Town as they struggled to get forward. His strong runs with the ball from midfield were key to push the team forward.

Otis Khan 7

Had his penalty saved which luckily did not matter as Lloyd followed in. Had some decent touches for Town and tried his best to inspire change in the second half.

Ryan Taylor 5

Could not really get into the game in the first half, with not a lot working for Town going forward and was subbed off past the hour mark with Hurst looking for some fresh legs up top.

George Lloyd 8

Crucial contributions at the start of the second half to get Town back into the game, first winning the penalty which was saved but following in for the rebound goal.

Anthony Glennon (45') 7

Important change at the break with Gallacher really struggling in the first half, Town looked better and more direct with Glennon on.

Gavan Holohan (67') 6

Provided a bit more quality on the ball in the second half.

Danilo Orsi (67') 6

Could not get into the game a huge amount after coming on.

John McAtee (84') 6

Evan Khouri (84') 6



Grimsby Town recovered from going a goal down to claim a share of the spoils in an entertaining contest against play-off-chasing Mansfield Town at Blundell Park.

The visitors controlled the early part of the game and took a deserved lead through striker Jordan Bowery.

But the Mariners improved after the break and after George Lloyd’s penalty was saved by keeper Christy Pym, the striker reacted the quickest to head the rebound into the net and restore parity.

Both sides created chances to win the game but ultimately, neither was able to force a decisive goal and so both had to be content with a point.

Michee Efete, Owen Gallacher, Otis Khan and Lloyd came back into the Grimsby starting line-up as boss Paul Hurst made four changes following the Easter Monday victory at Doncaster Rovers. Luke Waterfall missed out, while Josh Emmanuel, Anthony Glennon and John McAtee all moved to the bench.

Max Crocombe started in goal, with Efete, Andy Smith, Niall Maher and Gallacher forming a four-man defence. Kieran Green sat at the base of a diamond in midfield, with Harry Clifton and Bryn Morris ahead of him and Khan supporting strikers Lloyd and Ryan Taylor.

Glennon, Emmanuel and McAtee were joined among the substitutes by Gavan Holohan, Alex Hunt, Danilo Orsi and Evan Khouri.

Mansfield began the day eighth in the Sky Bet League Two table, one point behind Salford City in the final play-off position. Nigel Clough’s side were looking for a victory to boost their promotion bid, with Bowery and fellow striker Lucas Akins aiming to be among the goals.


A foul by Efete on Stephen Quinn earned him the first yellow card of the afternoon inside the opening minute, although the resulting free kick from wide on the left beat everybody and went out at the far post for a goal kick.

Gallacher linked up well with Lloyd on the left as Town mounted their first attack but Mansfield looked the more comfortable of the two sides in the early stages and controlled possession over the first 10 minutes.

Khan was brought down by Hiram Boateng as he looked to break over the halfway line but the free kick caused no problems and the visitors brought the ball away from danger.

A cross-field ball to Efete set up another Town attack and this time, a cross from deep was met by Lloyd but the striker was not able to direct his header towards goal.

The game’s first corner came on the Mansfield left but the delivery from it was flicked wide at the near post by Callum Johnson, then Akins curled an effort wide from 20 yards as the away side went forward again.

Mansfield won another corner on the left on 18 minutes but it was caught by Crocombe, then a strong run through the middle by Clifton led to an opening for Khan, although he opted not to shoot and instead, looked to play the ball back to Clifton and it was intercepted by Boateng.

A free kick from Davis Keillor-Dunn on the right was headed clear by Smith, who was also first to a follow-up cross from the midfielder.

Crocombe then caught a cross from Quinn as the visitors continued to control the game, before a nice move by the Mariners led to a corner on their right after Khan had linked up with Efete. Morris’ delivery from the flag was met by Green but he could not direct his header towards goal and when he went down amid a scramble, the referee waved play in.

Former Town defender Elliott Hewitt was booked after catching Efete in an aerial challenge, then Taylor was penalised for a foul on defender Alfie Kilgour as they battled for the ball on the edge of the Mansfield box.

Bowery won a corner on the away right on 33 minutes and it led to another one when Lloyd got the ball away following a short delivery. Again, it was played low into the box but after it was half-cleared, a handball decision went in Town’s favour.

Goalmouth action had been in short supply as both sides struggled to keep the ball but when the visitors created a chance six minutes before the break, they took it to break the deadlock. A throw-in on he left was worked to BOWERY an he turned before hitting a low shot which found the bottom corner of the net, despite Crocombe getting a strong hand to the ball.

A snap-shot from Kieran Wallace went off-target as Mansfield immediately looked for a second goal, before a Maher long throw at the other end was cleared before it could reach Lloyd.

Three added minutes were played at the end of the first half and Boateng escaped punishment for pulling Khan back as the referee allowed play to go on until Keillor-Dunn fired over the bar from distance.

A Mansfield corner was headed clear by Green and with no further opportunities coming for either side, the away side retained their single-goal advantage at half-time.


Glennon replaced Gallacher before the restart and an early Maher long throw was held up inside the box by Taylor but his attempted pull-back was blocked and cleared.

Akins was caught offside at the other end as he ran onto a through-ball, then a shot from Clifton was blocked after Khan had pulled the ball back for him and a follow-up strike from Morris was also blocked.

Town were given their opportunity to get back on level terms on 52 minutes, when Lloyd burst into the box and was brought down by the advancing Pym. The referee pointed to the spot and after the keeper was booked for the foul, he dived to keep Lloyd’s penalty out, although LLOYD got to the rebound first to head it into the net for 1-1.

The equalising goal galvanised the Mariners and the home crowd, with the men in black and white immediately pushing forward in a bid to complete the turnaround. Lloyd saw a shot saved by Pym, before a driving run through the middle by Khan ended with him firing just wide.

Boateng was off-target with a free kick at he other end, before Clifton sent a ball across the six-yard line after good hold-up play by Taylor but nobody could get on the end of it.

A low shot by Green was blocked after Khan pulled the ball back from the left, before a free kick from Hewitt was headed clear but another one followed after a foul by Khan on the Mansfield right. Keillor-Dunn’s delivery was not fully dealt with but when Boateng eventually let fly with a shot from 20 yard, Crocombe got down to stop it.

Khan missed the target with a shot from 20 yards, then Lloyd produced a great save from Lloyd, diving to his left to punch the striker’s volley away for a corner. Glennon’s ball from the flag was flicked on and put out for a Town throw-in.

Keillor-Dunn lifted a strike over the bar after a spell of Mansfield possession, before the home side made a double-substitution as Orsi and Holohan replaced Taylor and Morris.

Brave defending by Maher saw him head clear after Quinn had chipped the ball across the six-yard line, then a cross from Bowery was caught by Crocombe as the away side attacked again.

Maher was booked for bringing Bowery down on the edge of the penalty area on 72 minutes but Keillor-Dunn’s strike from the free kick bounced back off the Town wall and when the ball was worked back into the box, Quinn headed harmlessly wide.

A Maher throw two minutes later was eventually dealt with and Mansfield broke through Akins but after taking the ball from the halfway line, his low shot from 20 yards was pushed away from danger by Crocombe.

Orsi prodded wide from close range after Clifton had done well to keep the ball in on the right, then Orsi was caught offside from Town’s next attack as the game remained in he balance.

Keillor-Dunn beat Efete to make his way into the box on 80 minutes but he could not beat Smith, who blocked his shot for a corner.

Another strike by Keillor-Dunn was blocked by Smith and Clifton completed the clearance as he got the ball away for a throw-in.

Khouri and McAtee were sent on in place of Green and Khan with six minutes to go and McAtee’s first involvement was to win a corner on the right. Glennon’s delivery to the near post was headed away by Hewittt and a follow-up cross was also cleared.

A foul on Khouri gave the hosts a free kick in a promising, central position on 88 minutes but Glennon was unable to take advantage as he sent his shot over the bar.

Jason Law replaced Boateng, James Gale came on for Keillor-Dunn and Stephen McLaughlin was sent on in place of Quinn as the away side made a triple-substitution with a minute left in a bid to force all three points.

The fourth official then signalled five additional minutes and Holohan had a shooting chance from 25 yard after being picked out by McAtee, although the midfielder’s effort was caught by keeper Pym.

Bowery went down inside the box under a challenge from Glennon but the referee ignored the appeals of the travelling Mansfield supporters and pointed for a goal kick.

Both sides kept looking for a winning goal but it was not to come, with the game ending all-square.

Town are next in action on Tuesday, when they host Barrow at Blundell Park.



Latest | April 2023