{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from November 2022

3rd November 2022 21:43

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 2 - 5 Swindon Town
Gordon 1, Swan 30. Boateng sent off 59. Williams 7, 35, Jephcott 51, Darcy 68, Gladwin pen 85
Attendance: 6,804 (734 from Swindon) (note this it is essentially tickets sold, including season tickets)

Date: 29 October 2022

Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town were beaten 5-2 by Swindon Town at the One Call Stadium this afternoon. It was an extraordinary game. The first half was absolutely superb entertainment with high quality attacking from both sides, as the Stags took the lead after 35 seconds through Kellan Gordon, were pegged back after 7 minutes, took the lead again after 30 minutes through Will Swan, and were pegged back again in controversial circumstances after 35 minutes. It was 2-2 at the break and it was hard to remember a better half of entertaining football.
The Stags should have been ahead after 50 minutes but missed a great chance, and within a minute at the other end Swindon took the lead for the first time at 3-2.
The Stags then had a player sent off after 59 minutes, for the second game running at exactly the same minute. This time it was Hiram Boateng, picking up a second booking for trying to stop a free kick from being taken quickly. Daft from Boateng, when he was already on a yellow card, and that would be understating the stupidity and costliness of it. After that, Swindon ruthlessly took advantage of the extra man to cruise to victory scoring two more goals as well as hitting the bar.

An extraordinary result:
The first time Mansfield had lost at home in the league this season.
Only Mansfield’s second defeat at home in the league in 13 months.
The first time Mansfield had conceded 5 goals in a league game for 6 years, since a 5-2 defeat at Carlisle in November 2016.
The first time Mansfield had conceded 5 goals at home in a league game for nearly 12 years, since a 5-2 defeat at home to Fleetwood in the Conference in January 2011. (Mansfield also lost 5-2 at home to AFC Wimbledon earlier the same season).

Full credit to Swindon who played very well going forward. As did Mansfield for an hour. But defences looked suspect. In Jonny Williams, a Welsh international, Swindon have a midfielder who in my opinion is too good for League Two. I said that in commentary before the game started. He went on to score Swindon’s first two goals. I also said in commentary before the game that I was surprised that Ollie Clarke wasn’t starting for Mansfield to nullify the threat of Williams, as he did very effectively last season. Clarke was brought on after 66 minutes, he almost immediately got Williams booked, and Williams was almost immediately substituted.

The Stags drop 5 places to 9th in the table, albeit only five points behind third placed Northampton with a game in hand.

Mansfield took the lead after 35 seconds. Good play on the left involving McLaughlin, Quinn and Swan, gave McLaughlin a yard of space to cross from the left across the edge of the six yard box and find Gordon unmarked at the far post. Gordon slotted past the keeper from 6 yards. Gordon wasn’t just unmarked, there was no defender within 10 yards of him. It was just his second goal for Mansfield, and his first for more than 3 years since scoring at Port Vale in a 2-2 draw in October 2019.

Swindon were level after 7 minutes. Hawkins lost possession following a McLaughlin throw-in on the halfway line. Jacob Wakeling got past O’Toole, as O’Toole and Hawkins then collided taking each other out, Wakeling got into the area, and fired towards the bottom right corner of the net. Pym dived at full stretch to make a great save, but Jonny Williams slotted the loose ball into the net from 3 yards. Unfortunate for Pym who was at such full stretch that he could not push the ball anywhere else other than towards Williams. Poor from Hawkins, and O’Toole could have done better.

The Stags could have been back in front as Gordon had a shot blocked at source, and then after a lovely move, McLaughlin’s low ball in from the left was turned goalwards by Swan but Swindon keeper Sol Brynn saved on his line.

The Stags were back in front after 30 minutes. Boateng nicked the ball off Ronan Darcy in the centre circle, he played a lovely ball forward to Lapslie, and Lapslie sent Swan away with a fabulous ball. Swan ran on to it, took one touch into the area, and fired past the keeper into the bottom left corner of the net from 16 yards. A tremendous goal, Swan’s 5th goal of the season.

Boateng was booked for a late challenge after 32 minutes. That was to become significant in the second half.

Swindon were level again after 35 minutes. Remeao Hutton, who had a fine game going forward for Swindon from right back, played a 1-2 with Ben Gladwin to get into the Stags area, Hutton fired across Pym and against the inside of the left post. The ball span across the face of goal, around the right post and appeared to go out of play for a goal kick. Hutton meanwhile had got to the byline and pulled the ball back into play. From the video, Hutton’s left foot is planted on the byline as he uses his right boot to pull the ball back into play. We don’t have the perfect angle, but it certainly appears to be out of play. The ball is pulled back to Jonny Williams, who slots into the right corner of the net from 8 yards. A controversial goal. McLaughlin was convinced the ball was out of play.

More chances for both sides before the break as Darcy fired straight at Pym, and Swan flicked just wide from a great cross from Gordon.

2-2 at the break and it had been simply superb entertainment, and high quality attacking from both sides.

Into the second half. After 49 minutes, great play from Lapslie to tee up Swan who volleyed just over the bar. Then after 50 minutes, Lapslie sent Gordon into the area for a great chance but Gordon’s shot was saved by the keeper with his legs.

However within seconds, on 51 minutes, rather than the Stags being ahead, it was Swindon who took the lead, for the first time in the game. Luke Jephcott sent Wakeling away down the left, Wakeling got to the byline, cut back inside O’Toole, and teed up Jephcott who was completely unmarked 11 yards out to fire into the net. O’Toole could have done better, as could Hawkins, Hewitt and Hartigan who all left Jephcott unmarked.

The Stags were reduced to ten men after 59 minute. Boateng chased after Saidou Khan from inside his own half to 40 yards from goal. Boateng fouled Khan, a soft foul, but probably a foul nonetheless. Khan got up, put the ball on the floor and tried to take the free kick quickly, but Boateng stopped him doing so. The referee immediately booked Boateng for doing so. After the game Nigel Clough commented that the ball was moving as Boateng stopped it being taken quickly. That is true, but it doesn’t take away from the stupidity of Boateng’s action when he was already on a yellow card.
(This is what Clough said about the free kick: “The free kick was bouncing so it wasn't a legitimate free kick with the ball moving, so I am not sure he is entitled to send him off. I asked the assistant and fourth official what the rule was on that bit, neither of them answered it.”)
Worth noting of course that you can’t appeal against a second yellow card, whatever the rights and wrongs of the ball already moving when Boateng stopped the free kick being taken.

There was little chance of a Stags recovery after that. On 68 minutes, it was 4-2. Hutton got forward and the right and squared inside to Wakeling whose shot was brilliantly saved by Pym. Wakeling recycled the loose ball to Darcy who cut inside from the left along the edge of the area and curled a great shot into the top right corner of the net.

Pym pushed a long range shot from Williams wide, then Jephcott got into the area 1-on-1 with Pym and fired into the side netting as Swindon pushed home the man advantage.

And it was 5-2 after 85 minutes, with a rare error of judgement from Pym. Jephcott went for a ball on the byline, running away from goal, going nowhere, and Pym brought him down for a clear penalty. Ben Gladwin converted the penalty, down the middle, as Pym dived to his right.

Jephcott sent a flying header against the bar from a Hutton cross after 87 minutes.

The Stags had three chances for a consolation goal as sub Jason Law made a great run along the byline on the right and his shot was saved at the near post, Bowery brought a good save from the keeper with a left footed shot, Hawkins headed straight at the keeper from the resulting corner, and Clarke fired wide from the edge of the area having been teed up by Swan.

A terrible result for the Stags. Plenty of poor defending, maybe a bit of bad luck with the second Swindon goal, and a really daft and costly sending off all contributed to the result.

The next game is in the FA Cup, away to Barrow next Saturday. Due to FA Cup rights, there is no streaming on iFollow for overseas or UK viewers, though we will of course bring full match commentary as usual.



Mansfield Town 2-5 Swindon Town
Gordon (1'minutes), Swan (30'minutes), Boateng (Dismissed at59'minutes)
Williams (7'minutes, 35'minutes), Jephcott (51'minutes), Darcy (68'minutes), Gladwin (85'minutes pen)
Boateng (1'minutes), Lapslie (30'minutes)
Hutton (35'minutes), Wakeling (51'minutes, 68'minutes)


Report supplied by PA Media

Swindon leapfrogged promotion rivals Mansfield and into the top four with an impressive 5-2 away victory over the 10-man Stags.

Mansfield twice lead in the opening 30 minutes through Kellan Gordon and Will Swan but a Jonny Williams brace saw the teams go into half-time locked at 2-2.

Luke Jephcott put the visitors ahead for the first time before Mansfield lost Hiram Boateng to a 59th-minute red card, with Swindon taking full advantage to wrap up victory through further goals from Ronan Darcy and Ben Gladwin.

The goal-fest began inside the opening minute with Mansfield going ahead after just 36 seconds when Stephen McLaughlin's low ball from the left found Gordon unmarked at the far post for a simple finish.

But the Robins levelled in the seventh minute, Jacob Wakeling robbing Oli Hawkins and then forcing Christy Pym into a fine parry only for Williams to tuck away the loose ball.

Mansfield re-took the lead on the half-hour when Swan raced onto George Lapslie's through ball down the centre to fire past Sol Brynn.

However, Swindon rallied again and five minutes later Remeao Hutton sent in a low shot from the right across Pym which came back out off the far post and Williams was again quickest to the ball to level.

The thrills continued after the break and in the 51st minute Swindon were finally ahead as Wakeling's low pull-back was swept home by Jephcott from 12 yards.

Mansfield were reduced to 10 men just before the hour when Boateng picked up a second yellow for delaying a Swindon free-kick and the hosts were punished in the 68th minute when Darcy curled a brilliant finish into the top right corner from 20 yards after Pym had denied the same player from close range.

Five minutes from time Gladwin made it 5-2 from the penalty spot after Pym had brought down Jephcott, and Swindon almost added a sixth soon after when Morgan Roberts headed against the bar.

Match Stats
Home Team Mansfield Away Team Swindon
Possession Home 36% Away 64%
Shots Home 14 Away 17
Shots on Target Home 8 Away 11
Corners Home 5 Away 3
Fouls Home 15 Away 9


Red card so costly as Mansfield Town lose seven-goal thriller at home to promotion rivals Swindown Town
chad.co.uk, By John Lomas, Sat 29 Oct 2022

Hiram Boateng's needless 59th minute red card ensured Mansfield Town suffered a rare home defeat as promotion rivals Swindon Town twice came from behind to eventually coast home 5-2 at the One Call Stadium this afternoon.

Boateng went for two yellow cards, the second for delaying a free kick which boss Nigel Clough will be furious with as Stags were still in the game, traling 3-2 at that point.

But that is now only one home win in five outings and more precious promotion points dropped.

A thrilling first half saw Mansfield go ahead after only 36 seconds through Kellan Gordon, but Swindon hit back through Jonny Williams on seven minutes.


Will Swan dispatched a superb finish to restore the lead on 30 minutes only to see that man Williams again pop up quickest to a loose ball to level for a second time.

But six minutes after the break the Robins were ahead for the first time through Luke Jephcott, and the home side suffered another blow when Boateng was dismissed for a second yellow card with 31 minutes still to play.

It was a second home red card in five days for Mansfield.

Swindon made them pay as Ronan Darcy curled in a magnificent top corner finish on 68 minutes and Ben Gladwin poured on the agony from the spot on 85 minutes.

Nigel Clough freshened up his side with five changes to the side that drew 0-0 at home with Newport County in midweek.

James Perch, Kieran Wallace, Anthony Hartigan, Ollie Clarke and Lucas Akins were replaced by Kellan Gordon, John-Joe O'Toole, Stephen McLaughlin, Stephen Quinn and Will Swan with McLaughlin named as captain.

The visitors made two changes as midweek late equaliser sub hero Luke Jephcott and Ronan Darcy took over from Ricky Aguiar and Frazer Blake-Tracy.

After conceding after a minute in both halves at Crawley last weekend, Stags made the perfect start by grabbing the lead after only 36 seconds.

Mansfield worked the ball from a throw in on the left and McLaughlin eventually sent a firm low ball across the box to where Gordon was waiting unmarked at the far post for an easy finish.

Swindon tried to respond immediately and a left wing cross picked out Jephcott for a firm header that Pym had to palm away for a corner on three minutes.

Two minutes later a half-clearance reached Khan who sent a rasping 20-yard drive just over the bar.

But they were forced into an 18th minute change as Clayton limped off to be replaced by Baudry.

Mansfield were back in front on the half-hour mark with a superb move down the centre.

Boateng won the ball in the middle of the pitch and fed Lapslie who sliced open Swindon with a superb through ball that Swan raced onto before dispatching a perfect low finish past Brynn from 10 yards.

A bone-crunching tackle on Khan from Boateng soon after saw the Stags man shown the game's first yellow card.

But Swindon levelled matters again on 35 minutes. A through ball put Hutton in space in the right and his low shot across Pym hit the base of the far post.

Somehow it rebounded outwards where the defence had froze and Williams was the only one alive and quickly put away the loose ball for a second time.

Maris was added to the book for a tackle from behind on Khan on 38 minutes.

On 40 minutes Pym was safely behind a low shot on the turn from Darcy and a minute later Swan's first time flick sailed wide from Gordon's powerful low cross as an absorbing game continued to flow from end to end and the sides unable to be separated at the break.

Maris was replaced by Hartigan in the home midfield for the second half.

A loose pass by McLaughlin handed Robins possession and Darcy's through ball looked to have put Jephcott in on goal, Pym alive to the danger and out quickly to spread his body and block.

Mansfield's reply was a move that saw Lapslie fall but still manage to flick the ball up for Swan to volley powerfully over.

Seconds later Gordon was in acres of space on the right but chose to shoot and Brynn got his angles right to block.

Instead Swindon went ahead for the first time on 51 minutes as Wakeling got to the left by-line and pulled back a low finish that Jephcott buried from 12 yards.

Pym was down to make another good stop on 58 minutes as Williams sent Darcy in on goal.

Further disaster struck Stags on 59 minutes as Boateng halted a break with a foul and, having seemingly got way with a second caution, delayed the restart and was sent off for his second yellow card, Pym also added to the book for his protests.

Clarke replaced Quinn and on the restart Swan flashed a shot off target on the right.

But it was 4-2 on 68 minutes. The lively Hutton again crossed from the right and Pym was able to smother Wakeling's finish.

But the ball was recycled to Darcy, 20 yards out and he curled in an unstoppable finish into the top right corner.

O'Toole went into the book for dissent on 70 minutes and Williams joined him two minutes later after squaring up to O'Toole and sparking a flare-up between the sides.

Pym denied Williams a hat-trick on 76 minutes as he dived to his right to parry a low 20-yard effort.

Then Iandolo raced away from a Gordon cross that was blocked and he put in Jephcott only to see him fire into the sidenetting.

Jephcott then delayed the restart to earn a booking.

Desperate, Stags threw on Bowery and Akins for Gordon and McLaughlin with 12 minutes to play and Law soon followed for Lapslie.

But it was the visitors who extended their lead on 85 minutes as Pym needlessly brought down Jephcott as he tried to go round him but wide and Gladwin drilled home the spot kick under the keeper's dive.

On 87 minutes Roberts sent a powerful diving header against the home bar as Swindon enjoyed their afternoon.

In the final minutes Law hit the sidenetting and Bowery forced a save as Swindon held firm.

STAGS: Pym, Gordon (Swindon made them pay as Ronan Darcy curled in a magnificent top corner finish on 68 minutes. 78), Hewitt, Hawkins, O'Toole, McLaughlin (Akins 78), Maris (Hartigan HT), Boateng, Quinn (Clarke 66), Lapslie (Law 82), Swan. SUBS NOT USED: Flinders, Wallace.

SWINDON: Brynn, Hutton, Iandolo, Clayton (Baudry 18), Gladwin, Williams (Shade 83), Darcy, Jephcott, Khan (Reed 66), Wakeling Roberts 83), Brennan. SUBS: Brann, Aguiar, Lavinier

REFEREE: Carl Brook.

ATTENDANCE: 6,804 (734 away).


Swindon Town beat Mansfield Town 5-2 at One Call Stadium in League Two
By Jonny Leighfield

SWINDON Town produced their best performance of the season to comfortably see off promotion rivals Mansfield Town 5-2 at the One Call Stadium in League Two on Saturday.

Despite going behind twice in the game, Swindon showed their ever-growing confidence and form to hit back and win the game at a canter in the end.

Jonny Williams struck twice for the Robins, while Luke Jephcott, Ronan Darcy, and Ben Gladwin also made goal-scoring contributions for a Swindon side who moved up to fourth.

Mansfield’s tough day was made worse after having Hiram Boateng sent off around the hour mark - their second red card in as many games.

Scott Lindsey made two changes to the side which deservedly took a draw away from Bradford City on Tuesday night.

Ricky Aguiar dropped to the bench while Frazer Blake-Tracy missed out due to a facial injury. Jephcott and Darcy started instead as the visitors opted for a 4-1-2-1 formation with Williams starting just behind Jephcott and Jacob Wakeling up front.

For the Stags, Nigel Clough made five changes to the side that drew 0-0 with Newport County in midweek. James Perch, Kieran Wallace, Anthony Hartigan, Ollie Clarke and Lucas Akins were replaced by Kellan Gordon, John-Joe O'Toole, Stephen McLaughlin, Stephen Quinn and Will Swan.

It was one of those new Mansfield faces who put the hosts in front inside the first 40 seconds. From the game’s first attack, a throw on the left allowed Stephen McLaughlin to drill a low ball across the box that former Swindon defender Gordon finished off unmarked at the back post.

After Jephcott headed at goal and was turned away by Christy Pym, Williams bagged his first of the afternoon in the seventh minute to put the Robins back on level terms. A poor touch from Oli Hawkins in midfield allowed Wakeling to take over, and the striker raced in towards goal before shooting low towards the bottom right corner. Pym kept it out but could only turn it into the path of Williams, and he tapped home from inside the six-yard box.

Inside the opening quarter of an hour, Sol Brynn kept Swan out after McLaughlin’s ball in was touched goalwards first time.

Tom Clayton was replaced in the 20th minute after picking up a thigh injury, and 10 minutes later the Stags had scored a second when the Swindon defence went AWOL. Lindsey’s men gave it away in midfield, and one pass later Swan was in on goal. The striker took advantage of a breakdown in communication to coolly slot past Brynn to his right.

But yet again, Swindon’s response was quick and decisive. Four minutes later, Remeao Hutton picked the ball up high and played a one-two with Ben Gladwin which saw the right-back break into the box. Hutton volleyed at goal, and it struck the left post before bouncing across goal and almost over the by-line for a goal-kick. But Hutton followed the ball and played a cross back into the middle which Williams finished off with aplomb into the bottom right corner.

Just six minutes into the second half, Lindsey’s men went in front for the first time. A long ball down the left was taken in by Wakeling, and with almost nothing on for the striker, he held it up and turned inside down the by-line as he reached the box. As amber shirts raced back to the line thinking Wakeling was to shoot, Jephcott was left unmarked inside the box. Wakeling simply set the ball back to his striker partner and Jephcott slotted the ball into the corner.

And just prior to the hour mark, the Robins’ gained a man advantage to boot. After being booked for a heavy tackle in the first half, Boateng was dismissed for hacking down Saidou Khan on a breakaway and then preventing the restart.

With 20 minutes to play, Swindon added a fourth goal, and in some style. Substitute Louis Reed clipped a superb pass down the right channel which Hutton latched onto before playing in Wakeling. After Pym denied the striker, Darcy collected the loose ball, cut inside and hammered a curling effort into the top right corner from the edge of the box.

Inside the final five minutes, the Robins made their man advantage count once again after Jephcott was fouled by Pym, going away from goal, inside the box. Gladwin calmly stepped up to pass the ball down the middle and make it five.

Substitute Morgan Roberts was denied his first Swindon goal after he smashed the bar with a late header, but Lindsey’s men were excellent value for their stand-out victory.

MTFC starting XI: Pym, Gordon, Hewitt, Hawkins, O'Toole, McLaughlin ©, Maris, Boateng, Quinn, Lapslie, Swan.

MTFC substitutes: Flinders, Wallace, Hartigan, Clarke, Law, Bowery, Akins.

STFC starting XI: Brynn, Hutton, Brennan, Clayton, Iandolo, Khan, Gladwin ©, Darcy, Williams, Jephcott, Wakeling.

STFC substitutes: Brann, Reed, Baudry, Aguiar, Shade, Lavinier, Roberts.

Referee: Carl Brook

Attendance: 6,804 (734)



Latest | November 2022