{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Latest News

27th September 2022 22:41

Papa John’s Trophy (English Football League Trophy)
Grimsby Town 2 - 0 Mansfield Town
Khan 15, Orsi 39
Attendance: 912 (144 from Mansfield)

Date: 20 September 2022

Martin Shaw at Blundell Park

Mansfield Town were beaten 2-0 at Grimsby Town in the second match in the group stages of this season’s Papa John’s Trophy. Grimsby were the better side in the opening half and opened up a 2-0 lead with goals from former Stag Otis Khan, on his Grimsby debut, and Danilo Orsi, who scored a hat-trick against the Stags in this competition last season for Harrogate. The Stags had been poor in the first half, and were better in the second half, but despite some good chances, were unable to get back into the game.

A big disappointment of the evening was an injury to Anthony Hartigan with a dislocated shoulder. Boss Nigel Clough said after the game: “He’s dislocated his shoulder for the second time. We’ll have to see how it settles down. We’ve lost one of our best players for a few weeks. We'll have to have it scanned and looked at. He said it's less painful than the first time he did it, I'm not sure if that's good news or not.”

There is one more game in the group stages as Derby County visit Mansfield in October, for the second time this season.

Meanwhile, the next game in the league is at Crewe on Saturday. If you’re not travelling to the game, you can watch it with us on iFollow Stags by buying a match pass, as the game falls on an international weekend.


Mansfield Town slip to defeat at Grimsby Town in Papa Johns Trophy
chad.co.uk, Tuesday 20th September 2022

Former Mansfield midfielder Otis Khan came back to haunt his old club as he dented Nigel Clough’s side’s chances of qualifying for the knockout stages of the EFL Trophy.

Khan marked his Grimsby debut in style as he and Danilo Orsi broke their Mariners’ ducks in the first half as the Stags slipped to defeat at Blundell Park.

Town are third after two games and host table-toppers Derby County on Tuesday October 18.

Clough made eight changes to the side which beat Gillingham 2-0 on Saturday to go three league games unbeaten.


Dangerous Khan had an early sniff at goal and forced Stags’ stopper Scott Flinders into a good save with his legs.

The Stags’ first real chance fell to John-Joe O’Toole as his powerful header from Hartigan’s free-kick flew over.

Grimsby struck after just 15 minutes as Khan rounded the keeper after being expertly slipped in by Jordan Maguire-Drew.

Moments later, Flinders fumbled Keyendrah Simmonds’ long-range strike as the hosts threatened.

Orsi’s effort was ruled out for offside before Hartigan was forced off with a nasty looking shoulder injury on the half-hour mark.

Will Swan fired wide of the mark as the Stags searched for an equaliser.

But it was the hosts who grabbed the second goal of the game as Orsi latched onto Simmonds’ pin-point through ball and fired beneath Flinders in the 39th minute.

McLaughlin came close on the stroke of half time as he cut inside on the edge of the box, only to be thwarted by Kiwi keep Max Crocombe.

After the break, Stags’ skipper James Perch forced Crocombe into a great stop from 10 yards.

And moments later, Crocombe frustrated the visitors again when he kept out Jordan Bowery’s curling shot.

Youngster James Gale squandered a great chance with 25 minutes to go when he smashed over after Swan knocked a long ball into his path.

Canadian forward Aribim Pebble should have added a third with 15 minutes left as he poked just wide with only Flinders to beat.

Down the other end, substitute Riley Harbottle nodded George Maris’ corner over before Gale headed wide as time ebbed away.

Grimsby: Crocombe, Efete, Maher, Pearson, Amos, Khan (Pepple, 45), Clifton (Holohan, 87), Khouri, Maguire-Drew (Richardson, 79), Simmonds (Wearne, 45), Orsi (Glendon, 87).

Unused subs: Battersby.

Mansfield: Flinders, Gordon (Law, 69), O’Toole, Perch, McLaughlin (Hewitt, 45), Bowery, Hartigan (Maris, 30), Wallace (Harbottle, 73), Quinn (Lapslie, 73), Gale, Swan.

Unused subs: Collin, Hawkins

Referee: Bobby Madden


Otis Khan and Danilo Orsi bag first Grimsby Town goals as Mariners beat Mansfield Town
grimsbytelegraph.co.uk, By Sam Allen, Grimsby Town Reporter, Tuesday 20th September 2022

Grimsby Town recorded their first win at home in all competitions since August 9 as they defeated fellow League Two outfit Mansfield Town 2-0 in the Papa John’s Trophy.

Otis Khan, on his competitive debut, and Danilo Orsi, on his first start, scored their first goals for the club on the night as Paul Hurst was able to heavily rotate his side from the Colchester United game on Saturday yet still witness a deserved victory under the lights at Blundell Park.

Khan was finally fit again to make his competitive debut for the Mariners after picking up an injury early in pre-season, and he almost made a dream start to his debut as he was played in on goal by Harry Clifton with less than four minutes on the clock.

Mansfield goalkeeper Scott Flinders came quickly off his line and saved Khan’s low shot to his right well to deny the winger his first goal in black and white. He did not have to wait much longer for another chance, and this time he made no error in finding the back of the net.

Played in this time by a beautifully-weighted through ball from Jordan Maguire-Drew, Khan rounded Flinders, who pounced off his line quickly again, slotting into an empty net to cap off a brilliant opening 15 minutes for the Town debutant.


It was the first start for Town for Niall Maher at the back, who had a solid start to the game alongside the experienced Shaun Pearson, who was also getting some much-needed minutes, with Luke Waterfall and Andy Smith locking down the centre-back spots so far this season.

It really was half of first for the Mariners, as with just over five minutes left before the break, Danilo Orsi slotted in his first goal for the club in a competitive game. His strike partner Keyendrah Simmonds got the vital touch to put Orsi through on goal, who kept his composure to slide the ball past Flinders and into the back of the net.

Overall, it was a solid first-half performance for Town and a great showcase of the attacking arsenal Hurst has available to him for the months that follow. The visitors made a strong start to the half, with Efete making a strong block on a goal-bound effort from Jordan Bowery, before Crocombe made a sprawling save off a volley in the box from James Peach.

Still, Town got through that initial surge from Mansfield unscathed and had a couple of chances of their own on the hour mark, as half-time substitute Aribim Pepple who was back from injury, had two chances in quick succession.

The forward was first found by a Maguire-Drew, with his header at the back post deflected at the last moment to divert the ball out for a corner, which produced another opportunity for Pepple as Flinders reacted well to push his effort away on the goal line.

Some time passed by in what was a largely scrappy but tightly-contested second half before Pepple had another golden opportunity to score what would have been the third of first goals for the club on the night. Town countered well with Pepple’s dummy presenting the ball to Orsi, who played the former in on goal, but his effort rolled just wide in a head-in-hands moment for the young forward.