{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from September 2022

17th September 2022 0:02

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 0 - 0 Carlisle United
Attendance: 5,421 (155 from Carlisle) (note this it is essentially tickets sold, including season tickets)

Date: 13 September 2022

Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Before last night’s 0-0 draw at home to Carlisle United, Mansfield Town had won 3 league games at home out of 3 this season. And if you include last season and the play-off semi-final, Mansfield had won 17 league games at home out of 19. Indeed in all competitions at home, Mansfield had scored in 23 consecutive home games. The last time the Stags had failed to score at home was a 0-0 draw with Oldham Athletic all the way back on 9th October last year.

Such was that incredible run of form at home, that it was understandable that Stags fans were left frustrated and disappointed with a 0-0 draw. Visitors Carlisle were no mugs though. Indeed they had only been beaten once this season. There were some boos at the end of the game. They weren’t for the Stags players though, even though the Stags were far from being at their best. They were for the match officials, who had a dreadful game, with a catalogue of poor decisions, including disallowing a Stags goal for offside which should have stood. However a 1-0 defeat would have been harsh on Carlisle, who were dangerous going forward and created several good chances, but were denied victory by some poor finishing, and good goalkeeping from Christy Pym. Taking all that into account, a draw was a fair result. The draw drops Mansfield one place in the table to 8th, one point and one place outside the play-off places.

Before the game, there was an impeccable minute’s silence to mark the death of the Queen last Thursday, followed by the singing of God Save The King, and then the release of 96 white doves from the middle of the pitch, one for every year of the Queen's life.

Carlisle could have been ahead with a couple of good chances in the opening 15 minutes. On 12 minutes, a low ball in from the right from Jordan Gibson found Kristian Dennis in front of goal with just Pym to beat from 10 yards, but Oli Hawkins did just enough to put him off from behind and Dennis sent his effort wide. Then two minutes later, Jack Armer crossed from the byline on the left and Morgan Feeney had a free shot at goal from 5 yards with more than three quarters of an open goal to aim at, but fired straight at Pym who was covering the quarter of the goal.

However the Stags should have taken the lead after 16 minutes with a goal wrongly disallowed. Riley Harbottle headed the ball down to George Maris 40 yards from goal. Maris got past Callum Guy and did well to work space for a shot from 20 yards, which was parried by keeper Tomas Holy into the path of George Lapslie who tucked the rebound into the net. Brilliant play from Maris and a clinical finish from Lapslie. But Mansfield’s celebrations were cut short by an offside flag.
At half time, I was able to check the video from the main camera (see still below) and from the analyst’s camera in the West Stand, and freezing at the point that Maris fired in his shot, it’s clear that Lapslie was played onside by Carlisle no.3 Jack Armer. A mistake from the assistant referee to flag for offside.

Stephen McLaughlin went close after 24 minutes. He played a 1-2 with Maris before cutting inside from the left and firing a right-footed shot just wide of the left post into the side netting. The keeper had left a big gap in the left of the net and would not have had a chance if McLaughlin’s shot had been on target. The shot lifted the netting away from the woodwork, and there was a four minute stoppage in play while it was re-attached. In a moment of comedy, the groundstaff brought on a ladder, but in the meantime 6 ft 9 inches keeper Holy was able to re-attach it with some tape and no need for the ladder!

Christy Pym made a good save after 33 minutes getting down low to Gibson’s shot from 15 yards, after McLaughlin had headed away Owen Moxon’s cross under pressure from Dennis.

A minute into the second half, Dennis missed a sitter for Carlisle. A great diagonal ball forward from Paul Huntington put Gibson in behind the defence on the byline on the right. Gibson’s low ball across the edge of the six yard box found Dennis 6 yards out but somehow he fired over the bar with just Pym to beat. A dreadful miss.

Excellent play by Lucas Akins after 49 minutes. With his back to goal on the edge of the box on the left, he took a pass from Maris, brilliantly span away from Feeney, and sent in a low left footed shot which the keeper knocked around the post with his right boot. Brilliant from Akins.

Not too many clearcut chances after that for either side, but Mansfield had the best of them to win it, after 82 minutes. A good move, and sub Stephen Quinn played a great ball in from the left to Maris who met it first time and cleanly from 12 yards, but sent his shot just wide of the left post.

A fair result overall then, though the Stags had good reason to be frustrated with the officials. The Stags didn’t do enough to deserve victory and didn’t hit the heights of previous performances at home in the wonderful run stretching back to last October. Credit to Carlisle who played well.

For the Stags, Elliott Hewitt was terrific in defence, with plenty of excellent challenges and headers. Christy Pym also did very well in goal with one fine save, good handling, and good distribution.



Mansfield Town 0-0 Carlisle United

Match report supplied by PA Media.

Carlisle ruined Mansfield's 100 per cent League Two home record with a 0-0 draw in a game in which they had the better chances.

Kristian Dennis turned a low cross wide from eight yards in the 13th minute with the Stags expecting an offside flag.

Then Morgan Feeney somehow sent a far-post finish straight at Christy Pym when it seemed easier to score two minutes later.

Pym then saved superbly from a rasping first time Jordan Gibson shot from a loose ball after 33 minutes.

Mansfield did have the ball in the net after 16 minutes but George Lapslie was deemed offside for his follow-up after Tomas Holy had blocked George Maris' initial effort.

Maris also sent a tame shot at Holy, Stephen McLaughlin flashed one into the side-netting and Lapslie sent another one over from outside the box.

A minute after the break Dennis somehow fired over from six yards unmarked from Gibson's low pullback.

Maris sidefooted a great chance wide from 12 yards near the end.

Match Stats
Home Team Mansfield Away Team Carlisle
Possession Home 61% Away 39%
Shots Home 12 Away 6
Shots on Target Home 3 Away 3
Corners Home 6 Away 0
Fouls Home 12 Away 16


Mansfield Town held at home in stalemate with Carlisle United
chad.co.uk, By John Lomas, Tuesday 13th September 2022

Carlisle United became the first side to take a point away from the One Call Stadium this season in tonight's 0-0 draw with Mansfield Town.

But the excellent Cumbrians will feel they could have had all three with Christian Dennis, twice, Morgan Feeney and Jordan Gibson all wasting great chances.

Christy Pym also made some important saves.

Stags failed to get into their usual groove on the night and Carlisle got men behind the ball quickly and broke dangerously.


George Lapslie did haven effort disallowed for offside but the score was a good reflection of a disappointing game.

Nigel Clough made one change to the side as Elliott Hewitt replaced the injured James Perch, but John-Joe O'Toole had recovered from his injury enough to be named on a six-man home bench.

The evening began on a sombre note with a minute's silence to mark the death of the Queen on Thursday followed by the singing of God Save The King and the release of 96 white doves from the middle of the pitch - one for every year of the Queen's life.

There was a worry as Patrick burst onto a Moxon pass into the box in the second minute, but a scramble was ended when Pym took control and grabbed the ball.

Stags had a corner cleared and then when a low Clarke cross was half-cleared, Maris sidefooted a tame finish at Holy on four minutes.

A low Gibson cross was turned wide by Dennis eight yards from goal with Stags waiting on an offside flag on 13 minutes.

Two minutes later United should have gone ahead as a low Armer cross from the left went through everyone to an unmarked Feeney at the far post but, with the goal at his mercy, he somehow put the ball into the arms of a relieved Pym.

A minute later Stags did have the ball in the net as Lapslie pounced following a save from a Maris shot, but an offside flag quickly halted celebrations.

On 24 minutes from a throw on the left, McLaughlin beat his man and whipped a powerful shot just wide of the left post, causing the netting to pull away from the goal frame which necessitated a hold-up to repair it.

The Cumbrians went close again on 33 minutes as McLaughlin tried to head away a high cross and Gibson met his clearance with a first time shot on the half volley that Pym did well to beat away diving to his left.

Akins cued up Lapslie for a shot over the bar from just outside the box on 38 minutes as a tight half ended scoreless.

Carlisle wasted a glorious chance in the opening minute of the second half as Gibson got to the right by-line and pulled a low cross back to an unmarked Dennis who blazed over from six yards.

In response, Lapslie got into the right of the box but his cross was too high for Akins.

Akins then forced Holy to save to his right with a decent low shot and soon after Bowery was well off target from 30 yards.

On 56 minutes Gibson cut in from the right and whistled a shot across goal and just wide of the far post as the visitors continued to look the more threatening.

On 59 minutes Maris knew Gibson was away from him and took his legs to take one for the team with a yellow card. Gibson kicked the ball at Maris and argued with the referee to be added to the book before the game restarted.

United threatened once more on 65 minutes as a long Moxon free kick saw Feeney stretch and poke it on target, forcing Pym down to gather.

Mellish was booked on 69 minutes for a foul on Lapslie before Stags sent on Quinn for Clarke in a search for fresh ideas.

Maris was too high from 20 yards as Carlisle tried to clear a long Hewitt throw as the home crowd tired to lift their players, Hartigan over from 25 yards minutes later.

With 11 minutes to go a left wing cross reached Back, who controlled and fired at Pym with home fans holding their breath.

On 83 minutes Quinn pulled back a cross from the left which Maris sidefooted powerfully wide with Holy stationary and beaten - Stags’ best chance of the game.

Moxon went in late on Hartigan on 87 minutes and was rightly booked as the game ended in stalemate.

STAGS: Pym, Bowery, Hewitt, Hawkins, Harbottle, McLaughlin, Clarke (Quinn 70), Hartigan, Maris, Lapslie, Akins. SUBS NOT USED: Flinders, O'Toole, Gordon, Wallace, Gale.

CARLISLE: Holy, Armer, Moxon, Feeney, Huntington, Gibson (Hilton 83), Guy, Patrick, Dennis (Stretton 89), Mellish, Back. SUBS NOT USED: Kelly, Charters, Whelan, Harris, Idehen.

REFEREE: Sam Allison.

ATTENDANCE: 5,421 (155 away).



Latest | September 2022