{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from April 2003

12th April 2003 20:01

report from http://www.bcfc.premiumtv.co.uk

City 5 (Peacock 12, Murray 32, 51, 80, Carey 70) Mansfield Town 2 (Disley 36, Butler og 61)

Hat-trick hero Scott Murray sent City within touching distance of the play-offs by inspiring City to a 5-2 demolition of Mansfield Town.

In an incident-packed match at Ashton Gate, Lee Peacock and Louis Carey also found their way onto the scoresheet as the home side's pace destroyed relegation-threatened Mansfield Town, managed by ex-City defender Keith Curle.

With five games to play City need just six points to make sure of their place in the top six, and that if seventh-placed Tranmere win their remaining four games.

But the result was somewhat overshadowed by a booking for Tommy Doherty, which means City's skipper will miss City's last two scheduled League games of the season.

Danny Wilson stuck with the same side who beat Carlisle to win the LDV Vans Trophy at the Millennium Stadium on Sunday.

Christian Roberts should have started the rout as early as the ninth minute but fell flat on his face attempting to get something on Murray's cross after the Scotsman had beat Curle on the right.

That chance was soon forgotten, however, three minutes later when Lee Peacock rose above a static Mansfield defence to power home a free header from Brian Tinnion's left-hand cross for City's opener.

Doherty was an early casualty of a pulsating game for the neutral as manager Danny Wilson substituted City's skipper after just 21 minutes. Doherty had received a caution for a fourth-minute elbow on Stags midfielder Rhys Day and appeared in danger of further punishment by referee Paul Taylor before Wilson pulled him off in favour of Aaron Brown.

Doherty's enforced absence fired up a healthy home crowd of 12,013 and Murray had two chances to score before extending the lead before scoring City's second in the 32nd minute. Mansfield left-back Adam Eaton stumbled while intercepting a through ball by Peacock and Murray pounced to slot the ball past the advancing Kevin Pilkington.

The two-goal lead lasted only four minutes before Craig Disley capitalised on a rare slip by Tony Butler to round Steve Phillips for the visitors' opening goal. Although under pressure by the lively Disley, City's experienced central defender was beaten as the Mansfield youngster stole forward on a ball through the middle.

Murray and Peacock both had goals disallowed as the first half ended with the home side in front.

That lead started to look fragile shortly after the break as Disley wasted a glorious opportunity to equalise from Junior Mendes right-hand cross minutes after the re-start.

And, with Mansfield look threatening going forward, Murray's second goal gave the home side breathing space in the 51st minute. The Scot had the beating of the Stags defence and used this to his advantage as he darted on to a flick-on by Roberts to shoot past Pilkington.

That goal should have made it game, set and match for City but they were stunned by a second Mansfield on the hour when a long throw caused problems in the area, and Butler contrived to send a looping header over Phillips and into the net.

With memories revived of the 5-4 thriller at Field Mill back in November, Mansfield pushed forward in search of an equaliser. That left spaces at the back at Murray was denied a hat-trick by Pilkington in the 64th minute as he burst clear on goal. The Stags skipper followed up this save by parrying a sublime left-footed volley by Brian Tinnion over the bar minutes later.

When City did score a fourth goal, it came in the unlikely form of right-back Louis Carey. The City defender drove forward on goal from 40 yards out before drilling a right-foot shot into the bottom corner for his second goal of the season.

City could have extended their lead but saw a Mickey Bell free-kick charged down by Day and Pilkington alert to catch a Peacock lob at the very edge of his area.

Murray sealed his first hat-trick in senior football in the 81st minute in characteristic fashion when he burst from the halfway line to finish the game off on the break.

Aaron Brown went close to putting City ahead with two late chances as the home side signed off in the best possible fashion ahead of what is now a big, big game away at second-placed Crewe Alexandra on Tuesday night.

City: Phillips; Bell, Butler, Coles, Carey; Tinnion (Hill 71), Doherty (A.Brown 24), Burnell, Murray; Peacock, Roberts (Rosenior 83).
Subs: Beadle, Stowell.

Mansfield Town: Pilkington, Mendes, Corden, Williamson, Curtis (Christie 55), Mackenzie (White 67), Disley, Hassell, Eaton (Gadsby 46), Curle, Day.
Subs: Welch, Mitchell.

Bookings: City - Doherty (5, foul), A.Brown (78, unsporting behaviour), Burnell (79, foul), Butler (90, foul); Mansfield Town - Hassle (43, foul), Christie (72, foul), Curle (72, foul).

Attendance: 12,013
Referee: P Taylor

Reported by Ed Furniss,
Rampant Murray Enjoys Stags Party
By Rob Fernandes, bristolcitynet.co.uk

Unstoppable Scott Murray scored his first senior hat-trick as promotion chasing City brushed aside Mansfield with a resounding 5-2 victory at Ashton Gate, the winger reaching 25 goals for the season on an afternoon in which Lee Peacock and Louis Carey were also on target.

The two teams have now shared 16 goals in two Second Division matches this season, but unfortunately for relegation threatened Mansfield 10 of them have gone City's way, Danny Wilson's men netting five again this afternoon to eventually win at a canter.

Indeed the hosts - fresh from their LDV Trophy success last weekend - could have won by more if not for visiting keeper Kevin Pilkington, who denied Murray as well as Brian Tinnion's fierce first time volley, whilst early on Christian Roberts missed his kick with the goal gaping.

City however could not fail to capitalise on the Stags at times woeful defending, and on just twelve minutes Peacock roared in to head home Tinnion's left wing cross, and give the home team an early lead they rarely looked like losing.

After Wilson had replaced skipper Tommy Doherty - harshly booked early on by a particularly poor referee - the hosts went on to make it 2-0 shortly after the hour mark as Murray raced in from the right to fire past Pilkington.

But Mansfield, shocking at the back but purposeful going forward, quickly reduced the arrears as Craig Disley strode out of midfield to outstrip the City defence, round keeper Steve Phillips and slide the ball into an empty net to make it 2-1.

However after the break the home side, attacking towards their massed ranks of supporters, went back into the commanding lead that their performance deserved as Roberts muscled past a defender before slipping the ball forward for Murray to race clean through and drill past the Stags keeper.

Much like the first meeting - 5-4 at Field Mill - the afternoon turned into something of a shootout as Once again Mansfield pulled a goal back, this time City defender Tony Butler the unfortunate one to meet a Stags corner at the near post and glance it beyond Phillips and inside the far post.

Thankfully the centre-back's embarassment was spared as twenty minutes from time fellow defender Louis Carey was given acres of space to stride upfield before lashing a shot beyond beleagured keeper Pilkington from the edge of the box.

It finally gave City something of a deserved comfort zone, and ten minutes from time the irrepressible Murray ended the match as a contest and completed his first ever senior hat-trick, racing upfield before digging a shot out that swept past Pilkington and home.

With Oldham only drawing at Cheltenham Murray's magic in the resounding victory ensured that Wilson's men climb up to fourth, in a strong position as they take on second placed Crewe and third placed Cardiff in the next ten days.


Latest | April 2003