{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Latest News

23rd November 2021 15:33

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 3 - 1 Scunthorpe United
O.Clarke 29, 60, Bowery 45+1. Hippolyte pen 15.
Attendance: 4,904 (528 from Scunthorpe)

Date: 20 November 2021

Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town continued their winning run, 5 games in all competitions, 3 in the league, with a comfortable 3-1 victory over bottom-of-the-table Scunthorpe United yesterday. 5 wins on the trot in all competitions is the Stags’ best run of victories since Oct-Nov 2017, under Steve Evans, a run which included the 1-0 win at Coventry City, as well as the win at Shaw Lane in the FA Cup and a win in the EFL Trophy.

The Stags continue to move away from the relegation zone, 7 points above it now, and are 6 points outside the play-offs.

Two fine goals from Ollie Clarke, and a goal from Jordan Bowery, saw the Stags come back from going behind to a 15th minute penalty from Myles Hippolyte.

The Stags made a positive start to the game in the opening 15 minutes with Harry Charsley having a shot blocked after good play from Jordan Bowery, Elliott Hewitt looping a header towards the top of the net which was tipped over by the keeper from a Stephen McLaughlin free kick, and George Maris dragging a shot wide from the left side of the penalty area.

Stags keeper Nathan Bishop had not touched the ball in the opening 15 minutes, even from a backpass or anything like that, when he conceded a penalty after 15 minutes. Jake Scrimshaw laid off to Alex Perry who threaded a superb pass forward from 35 yards out for Myles Hippolyte to run on to into the box, getting in between Oli Hawkins and John-Joe O’Toole. Hawkins appealed for offside in vain. Hippolyte took a touch to take the ball around Bishop and went straight over the Stags keeper for a clear penalty. I don’t really think the Stags keeper could have done much about it. He was not booked as he was going for the ball and it wasn’t a dangerous tackle. Hippolyte took the penalty himself and sent Bishop the wrong way, sending his kick into the bottom right corner of the net. Bishop’s first touch of the ball in the game was to pick it out of the net.

Scunthorpe had a good chance to make it 2-0 after 19 minutes. Alex Kenyon headed the ball forward from the edge of the centre circle. Ryan Loft got in between Hawkins and O’Toole to run on to it in the area, and, under pressure from O’Toole, fired a couple of feet wide of the left post with just Bishop to beat. Loft should have scored by O’Toole perhaps did just enough to put him off.

Just a minute later, after 20 minutes, the Stags were so close to equalising. Perry lost the ball 40 yards from his own goal, Charsley nicked it away from him for Bowery to run on to. Bowery took a touch to steady himself and with just the keeper to beat, he fired against the right post from 16 yards. He should have scored, but it’s also a bit unlucky to hit the post in my opinion. A minute after that, McLaughlin went close when he pushed forward to the edge of the area and his shot was deflected wide.

The Stags equalised after 29 minutes. Ollie Clarke fed the ball from the edge of the centre circle out to Ryan Stirk on the right wing. Stirk then slid the ball back inside to Clarke 30 yards from goal. Clarke turned and cut inside, away from Kenyon to create just enough space for a shot from 22 yards out, left footed into the bottom right corner of the net. An absolutely brilliant finish from Clarke, his second goal of the season. He celebrated with a huge leap into the air in front of the West Stand.

Good play from Ollie Clarke after 39 minutes, as he found Bowery who took a very good first touch to get the ball onto his left foot but he fired over the bar from 18 yards.

Scunthorpe had rarely ventured into the Stags half but went close again after 42 minutes as Manny Onariase got away from Elliott Hewitt from a corner from the right by Mason O’Malley to head over the bar from 7 yards.

The Stags took the lead in stoppage time at the end of the first half, a great time to score. Stephen Quinn set McLaughlin away down the left hand side. McLaughlin sent a terrific low ball across just inside the area to Charsley who met it first time left footed. His shot towards the bottom left corner of the net was well saved by keeper Kieran O’Hara, it came out to Bowery, who immediately sent it back goalwards with his left foot from 7 yards. The keeper was still on the ground from his previous save and could only half-parry the shot up in the air with his left hand, it looped behind him and into the net. A good effort at saving it from the keeper, but a great moment for Bowery. This season Bowery has been well below the performance levels he showed last season, but he had had a very good first half here and deserved his first goal of the season.

There was still time for another chance for the Stags as George Maris played a good 1-2 with Bowery and fired wide of the left post from 25 yards.

The Stags ahead at the break then, having had almost of the play going forward, and most of the chances, but Scunthorpe having taken the lead could have made it 2-0 which might have made a very different game. The Stags though were playing well.

Loft tested Bishop with a shot from a tight angle after 52 minutes, but Bishop stayed big and strong and saved comfortably.

A glorious chance for the Stags after 54 minutes as Stirk teed up Ollie Clarke for a shot from 10 yards but he completely scuffed his shot.

But the Stags did make it 3-1 after 60 minutes. George Taft, the former Stags defender, laid the ball off the Alex Perry 35 yards from his own goal. Perry tried to dribble the ball out of trouble, but was tackled by Ollie Clarke, who took the ball to the edge of the area before firing under the keeper into the net. Fine play from Clarke and a reward for Mansfield’s pressing. But abysmal from Perry. Perry claimed for a free kick but it wasn’t in my opinion, it was just very weak play from Perry. Scunthorpe’s new boss Keith Hill bemoaned Perry’s play after the game saying it was very weak, and that he had got away with a similar mistake in the first half (when Bowery hit the post).

The goal pretty much sealed the Stags victory. Stephen Quinn was immediately substituted, resting him for a tough week with trips to Sutton and Crawley. Bowery was also taken off shortly afterwards. He will also be needed with both Rhys Oates and Danny Johnson out injured.

There were few chances in the final half an hour as the Stags saw the game out comfortably.
Substitute James Gale fired wide from the right on his league debut.
Tyrese Sinclair also on as sub, then sent a free kick, which he had won, miles over the bar (*)
(*) On Sunday morning, replying to a tweet which said “tag a teammate who takes free kicks like this” (with a video of a player firing a free kick miles over the bar), Ollie Clarke tagged Sinclair, who replied with an emoji of his hands over his face in embarrassment.

Scunthorpe just had one real chance to pull a goal back as O’Malley’s free kick from 25 yards was caught by the diving Bishop, to his left, after 78 minutes.
Then at the other end after 80 minutes, great play by Gale getting past his marker O’Malley towards the byline and pulling back to Charsley whose goalbound flick from 5 yards was saved at point blank range by the keeper.

A convincing win for the Stags. Plenty of good performances throughout the Stags side. Everyone played well, at least a 7 out of 10 performance, but Ollie Clarke has to be my man of the match for his two goals in a captain’s performance.

The Stags visit Sutton United on Tuesday. It will be Mansfield’s first ever game there. If you are not travelling to the game, you will be able to buy a match pass to watch the game with us on iFollow Stags.

In terms of injury news, Oates and Lapslie were injured and missed the Scunthorpe game. They were replaced by Stirk and Bowery. Maris had recovered from his knee injury and played the full 90 minutes. Kellan Gordon was back from injury on the bench. Danny Johnson will remain out for at least a couple more weeks with an ankle ligament injury.
After the Scunthorpe game, coach Andy Garner told BBC Radio Nottingham:
"Oatesey (Rhys Oates) is feeling it a bit (his groin injury). There is a possibility he could be involved in the Crawley game (next Saturday).
"Laps (George Lapslie) might have a possibility to be involved on Tuesday (at Sutton). It depends how it feels (his shoulder) over the next 48 hours but we'll assess that on Monday".



Mansfield Town 3-1 Scunthorpe United
O Clarke (28'minutes, 60'minutes), Bowery (45'+1minutes)
Hippolyte (15'minutes pen)
Stirk (28'minutes)

Report supplied by PA Media.

A brace from skipper Ollie Clarke helped Mansfield chalk up a fifth win in a row as they beat bottom club Scunthorpe.

An entertaining first half saw United go ahead against the run of play when Myles Hippolyte netted from the spot after keeper Nathan Bishop had brought him down following a defence-splitting pass down the middle by Hayden Hackney.

Jordan Bowery hit the post in a 20th minute one on one before Clarke finally levelled on 28 minutes with a low shot inside the right post from 20 yards.

The Stags then swept ahead in the first of two added minutes as Keiran O'Hara saved Harry Charsley's shot from a Stephen McLaughlin cross but, despite getting his hands to Bowery's follow-up, could not prevent the ball spinning home.

Bishop denied Ryan Loft on a 52nd-minute breakaway, blocking at his near post.

But on the hour Clarke netted his second as he caught Alex Perry dallying on the ball 25 yards out, robbed him and raced forward for a low finish.

Match Stats
Home Team Mansfield Away Team Scunthorpe
Possession Home 47% Away 53%
Shots Home 17 Away 8
Shots on Target Home 8 Away 3
Corners Home 6 Away 2
Fouls Home 12 Away 13


Skipper Ollie Clarke strikes twice as Mansfield Town make it five wins in a row against battling Scunthorpe United
chad.co.uk, By John Lomas, Saturday 20th November 2021

Captain Ollie Clarke struck twice as much-improved Mansfield Town made it five sparkling wins in a row with a 3-1 home win over bottom side Scunthorpe United this afternoon.

Battling Scunthorpe grabbed an unlikely lead through a Myles Hippolyte penalty on 15 minutes.

But Clarke goals on 28 and 60 minutes, sandwiching a finish by Jordan Bowery in first half injury time saw Nigel Clough's men deservedly home to three more points.

Rhys Oates and George Lapslie missed out with the injuries they picked up at Stevenage last weekend, replaced by Jordan Bowery and Ryan Stirk.


But George Maris was passed fit after his knee injury from last week and Kellan Gordon's return from injury to the bench was also a welcome sight for the home side.

Stags started well and on five minutes Charlsley had a finish blocked by Onariase after good work by Maris and a low cross from Bowery.

There was a hold-up after Clarke took a knock to the head, but he was able to continue.

O'Hara had his first save to make on 10 minutes when he turned over a dipping Hewitt header from a McLaughlin free kick.

And as United tried to clear the corer, Quinn fed Maris, who shot wide of the near post.

But all the early good work was undone when United went ahead from the spot on 15 minutes from their first serious raid.

Stags were undone by a quality pass down the centre by Hackney that put Hippolyte in on goal. He was brought down by keeper Bishop as he tried to go round him and picked himself up to send Bishop the wrong way from the penalty.

Quinn then put in a great cross which Chatrsley headed back in front of goal, but no Stags players were there to capitalise as the ball was hacked clear.

But Loft's persistence almost doubled United's lead on 19 minutes as he held off O'Toole in a battle down the middle and pulled a low finish just wide.

A minute later Charsley sent Bowery clear into the box, but although his low finish beat O'Hara's dive, it came back off the post.

McLaughlin then saw a low blast deflect just wide.

Stags were deservedly level on 28 minutes from a move started and finished by skipper Clarke. He finally made space on the edge of the box and drilled the ball low inside the right post.

Mansfield kept pressing and on 39 minutes Maris' pass picked out Bowery in the box, but his finish was always rising well over.

Three minutes later the Iron won their first corner of the contest and, taken by O'Malley, it was headed over by Onariase.

Home players and fans were then angry that play was waved on when it had appeared a Scunthorpe player had handled and Scrimshaw ran on to shoot in the sidenetting.

Two minutes were added on and in the first of those Stags went ahead for the first time.

McLaughlin pulled back a cross from the left which saw Charsley fire goalwards.

O'Hara made a good save and when Bowery met the lose ball, O'Hara again got his hands to it but the ball spun on into the gaping net.

There was still time for Maris to shoot low and wide from another neat home move.

Scunthorpe almost levelled seven minutes into the second half as Loft burst impressively down the left only to see Bishop alert to block as he tried to beat him low at his neat post.

A minute later Stirk fed Clarke in the United box, but the skipper missed his kick with only the keeper to beat.

But Clarke was the hero on the hour as he robbed a dithering Perry 25 yards from goal and ran on to slot home a low finish.

Young striker Gale was given a league debut on 69 minutes as Bowery limped off.

Hippolyte was well over after cutting in from the right on 77 minutes as Scunthorpe desperately looked for a lifeline.

A minute later they came even closer as O'Malley's 25 yard free kick looked destined for the top right corner only for Bishop to reach it, catch and hold on.

Sinclair then warmed O'Hara's hands with a low shot from a tight angle.

Finding his feet, a good run by Gale to the right by-line saw him cross low but Charsley unable to turn home from close range.

Pugh, halting a Stags break with a foul two minutes into added time, saw the game's first and only yellow card as Stags coasted to a deserved victory.

STAGS: Bishop, Hewitt, O'Toole, Hawkins, McLaughlin, Charsley, O.Clarke, Maris, Quinn (Sinclair 61), Stirk (Forrester 88), Bowery (Gale 69). SUBS NOT USED: Shelvey, Rawson, Gordon, Law

SCUNTHORPE: O'Hara, O'Malley, Kenyon (Beestin 61), Taft, Onariase, Loft (Jarvis 73), Hippolyte, Rowe, Scrimshaw, Perry (Jarvis 78), Hackney. SUBS NOT USED: Collins, Millen, Green, Thompson.

REFEREE: Benjamin Speedie.

ATTENDANCE:4,904 (528 away).


Mansfield Town 3-1 Scunthorpe United report and reaction as Iron surrender one-goal lead

Keith Hill's side led against the Stags but ended up on the losing end of the score line

Scunthorpe United fell to their first League Two defeat under Keith Hill as they lost 3-1 away at Mansfield.

The Iron took an early lead through Myles Hippolyte from the penalty spot after 'keeper Nathan Bishop brought him down in the area.

That lead lasted only five minutes though as Ollie Banks (comment by Martin - bizarre error, should be Clarke) brought Nigel Clough's side level at the One Call Stadium after Jordan Bowery had hit the post.

Mansfield then went ahead through Bowery as he turned in the rebound after Keirnan O'Hara had kept out Harry Charsley's shot, with the ball squirming across the goal line.

The Stags then made sure of the points as Banks (comment by Martin - bizarre error, should be Clarke) netted his second of the game, as he robbed Alex Perry of possession 25 yards from goal before racing clear and firing home.


How the teams lined up
MANSFIELD: Bishop, Hewitt, O'Toole, Hawkins, McLaughlin, Charsley, O Clarke, Maris, Quinn (Sinclair, 61), Stirk (Forrester, 86), Bowery (Gale, 69).

MANSFIELD SUBS NOT USED: Shelvey, Rawson, Gordon, Law.

IRON: O'Hara, O'Malley, Kenyon (Beestin, 61), Taft, Onariase, Loft (Jarvis, 73), Hippolyte, Rowe, Scrimshaw, Perry (Pugh, 78), Hackney.

IRON SUBS NOT USED: Collins, Millen, Green, Thompson.

ATTENDANCE: 4,904 (528 away).