{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Latest News

10th October 2021 0:03

Papa John’s Trophy (English Football League Trophy)
Mansfield Town 1 - 2 Sheffield Wednesday
Quinn 69. Wing 64, Kamberi 90+3
Attendance: 2836 (1291 from Sheffield Wednesday, official figure given, though they sold 1666)

Date: 5 October 2021


Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town lost 2-1 to Sheffield Wednesday in the second game of this season’s Papa John’s Trophy at the One Call Stadium last night. The Stags put out a predominantly young side, and many of the youngsters impressed as Mansfield put in an encouraging performance only to lose to a more experienced Sheffield Wednesday side with a goal in stoppage time.

With the Stags on a very poor run of form in the league, hampered by injuries and suspensions, it was a night when young players needed to put their hands up and put themselves in the frame for a place in the first team in the league on Saturday, and several of them did that.

On a windy night, Sheffield Wednesday had the wind behind them in the first half. A mistake by George Shelvey nearly gifted the visitors the lead inside the opening 30 seconds as the young keeper was slow to clear the ball, Saido Berahino charged his clearance down and the ball ricocheted just wide. Shelvey had a nightmare game in the opening game of this competition against Harrogate, and he was already off to a bad start.

At the other end, Harry Charsley had a shot blocked after a nice move on 3 minutes. Then young Stags central defender George Cooper did well to put in a good block after tricky winger Theo Corbeanu got past Stags left back Ryan Burke too easily after 11 minutes. Three minutes later, Shelvey was able to parry Corbeanu’s shot while Farrend Rawson blocked the rebound.

A chance for the Stags after 26 minutes as Jason Law’s corner reached Keaton Ward who found space at the far post but headed wide. Nearly another calamity for Shelvey a minute later as he came to claim the ball near the edge of his area and lost it, but he got away with it.

The Stags should have been ahead after 41 minutes. Danny Johnson laid a magnificent ball from the halfway line into the path of Tyrese Sinclair. Sinclair took a touch to get him inside the area, clean through on goal, but then slid his shot wide of the left post. Sinclair looked to the heavens in frustration. Another chance for the Stags after 45+1 minutes as Sinclair pushed forward again and put in a low cross but Johnson couldn’t get a good enough connection on it to turn it goalwards.

A positive first half for the Stags more than holding their own with the likes of James Clarke, George Cooper, Keaton Ward and Jason Law really impressing.

Sadly, Cooper, a product of the academy and making his first ever start for the club, had to go off at half time with a groin injury, and will now be out for a few weeks, joining the list of injured centre halves. It was a shame, because he would have had a chance of making his league debut on Saturday. Elliott Hewitt came on to replace him at centre half.

Into the second half, and with the wind behind them, the Stags got right on top for 15 minutes. Sinclair had a first time shot straight at the keeper from 18 yards after 50 minutes. A minute later a great ball from Law into Johnson but he couldn’t get a shot in. Then Sinclair with a volley that the keeper saved above his head. The Stags went even closer after 56 minutes, with good play on the left from Quinn, playing the ball inside to Law, whose low shot took a little deflection taking it towards the bottom left corner of the net, but the keeper made a brilliant save to tip it wide.

But having been on top, the Stags found themselves behind after 64 minutes. Marvin Johnson curled a high cross from the right into the middle. Shelvey came out to clear, didn’t get there, and Lewis Wing nipped in front of him to head into the empty net. There’s no getting away from it, it was another howler from the young keeper.

But within 5 minutes the Stags were deservedly level. James Clarke did well to win the ball just outside the area. He laid a nice ball in to Sinclair, Sinclair controlled it, and back-flicked the ball to an unmarked Stephen Quinn, who smashed the ball gleefully into the top right corner of the net from 9 yards. The ex-Sheffield United man ran three-quarters of the length of the pitch to knee-slide in front of the Wednesday fans in celebration! A lovely goal, with good play from James Clarke, and what a wonderful flick by Sinclair in the build-up.

After 70 minutes, Sinclair got to the edge of the area and had a shot deflected for a corner. On 77 minutes, great defending from Rawson at one end, and immediately James Clarke fired a great crossfield diagonal pass into the path of Quinn who tried to chip the ball over the advancing keeper but sent his shot just wide.

On 83 minutes, a chance for the Owls as Corbeanu weaved his way into the Stags area on the right and Shelvey did well to save his shot, that coming after sub Rhys Oates had lost the ball. Then a minute after that, good play from Marvin Johnson just outside the Stags area on the right and Sylla Sow fired across Shelvey and wide of the left post.

Keaton Ward scuffed a left footed shot wide after 90+2 minutes.

But there was disappointment for the young Stags after 90+3 minutes as Wednesday snatched a late winner. Wing slid Corbeanu in on the byline on the right, Corbeanu pulled the ball back to Florian Kamberi who fired into the roof of the net from 6 yards having peeled away from Rawson and Hewitt.

From the kick-off, Oates embarked on a wonderful run all the way into the Wednesday area and his low left footed shot was saved by the keeper.

So defeat for Mansfield. But really encouraging performances from several of this young side. James Clarke, captain again for the night, really caught the eye with some good defending, and some good balls going forward. George Cooper had a very good first half before his injury. Keaton Ward had a very fine game in front of the back four in midfield. A local lad, it meant a lot to him to play in front of fans at the One Call Stadium for the first time, and he arguably put in his best performance in a Stags shirt, though he was also very good on his full debut last season against Oldham. Jason Law put in his best performance of the season and looked more like the player who so impressed last season having finally broken into the side after five years at the club. Rawson had a decent game at centre half, Charsley did well in midfield, Quinn was good and reminded us what we are missing during his six game suspension, and Danny Johnson worked very hard and was more involved than he has been in some other games. Sinclair’s assist for Quinn’s goal was something special though he missed a few chances himself in front of goal. George Shelvey in goal had another poor game with too many mistakes, while Ryan Burke had a difficult game at left back against tricky winger Theo Corbeanu.

The Stags are out of the competition with one game remaining (against Newcastle U21 next month). But last night’s game was an extremely useful workout for the young players against experienced opposition.

On to Saturday’s game against Oldham at home. It’s a big game. Should the Stags lose, they will drop into the bottom two. An upturn in form is needed. With Rawson suspended for one game, there is a slot in the defence up for grabs. I think James Clarke is the most likely player to grab that shirt at right back, with Hawkins having to continue at centre half, alongside Hewitt, and McLaughlin at left back. While up front, Danny Johnson will probably come into the side, looking the most likely player to put the ball in the net. Quinn and Sinclair remain suspended in the league for two more games.

Credit to the Stags fans again last night for creating a good atmosphere, with a good following from Wednesday also in attendance. The Stags will need the fans right behind them again on Saturday.

A mention of last night’s referee, Rebecca Welch, the first woman ever to referee a Stags game (correction below). She had a very good game overall, in stark contrast to some of the poor refereeing performances we’ve seen this season.
(correction: she is the second, Amy Fearn refereed a Stags game against Stockport in April 2012, thank to you Richard Baldwin for the correction, while Paul Taylor is sacked as my adviser :-) ).



Late,late Sheffield Wednesday strike sinks battling Mansfield Town
chad.co.uk, By John Lomas, Tuesday 5th October 2021

A last gasp winner by Sheffield Wednesday's Florian Kamberi left Mansfield Town without a win in 10 games in tonight's Papa John's Trophy home group clash.

A much-changed Stags side played their part in an end-to-end game, but their League one neighbours had the sting in the tail in the third of four added minutes.

Stags will now prepare for the far more important home clash with fellow strugglers Oldham Athletic on Saturday.

Both sides entertained, despite the swirling wind and rain, and Lewis Wing punished a mistake by home keeper George Shelvey to net on 63 minutes only to see Stephen Quinn level it five minutes later.


With the visitors selling over 1,600 tickets they outnumbered the home fans to create a great atmosphere for a group game.

Wednesday had won their opening group fixture while Stags lost 3-1 at Harrogate Town.

Nigel Clough made nine changes from the weekend in a side which included suspended trio Farrend Rawson, Quinn and Tyrese Sinclair.

Young right back James Clarke was handed the captain's armband while 18-year-old centre half George Cooper, 18, was handed a full debut.

Sinclair and Danny Johnson started up front with Jason Law at the tip of a midfield diamond with Keaton Ward at the base, Harry Charsley on the right and Quinn on the left.

For Wednesday, Darren Moore made eight changes.

Goalkeeper Bailey Peacock-Farrell was away on international duty with Northern Ireland so Joe Wildsmith made his second appearance of the season.

Lewis Gibson made a debut and there were recalls for Fisayo Dele-Bashiru, Theo Corbeanu, Sylla Sow and Florian Kamberi.

History was made in the game for Stags with Rebecca Welch becoming the first female to referee a Mansfield Town match and she produced an excellent performance.

Stags were almost behind inside 30 seconds as Shelvey took a touch from a Rawson backpass and saw his clearance charged down by Berahino and fly inches wide of the open goal.

Charsley then had a shot blocked by Gibson from Stags first raid on three minutes.

A Wildsmith clearance then caught on the wind and bounced worryingly wide of the home goal.

On 14 minutes Shelvey had to parry a swirling, powerful shot from 20 yards by Corbeanu and Rawson was on hand to block Berahino's follow-up for a corner.

More home pressure saw Charsley just unable to get his head on Johnson's left wing cross while Johnson drilled a low cross through everyone at the other end.

Shelvey was then down smartly to smother a cross-cum-shot from Corbeanu after a thrilling run by the Wednesday man.

On 26 minutes Ward had Stags' best chance so far but planted a far post free header across goal and over from Law's flag kick.

Shelvey had another moment when he allowed the ball to squirm away from him, but Cooper eventually cleared home lines.

Charsley saw the game's first booking on 28 minutes for a trip on Dele-Bashiru, halting a rampaging run.

Wing warmed Shelvey's hands from 30 yards on 38 minutes but the youngster held onto it.

Cooper made two good interventions on the Owls' nest raid with a header and a block.

Sinclair should have done better on 41 minutes when sent clear on the left by Johnson but sent a low finish just wide as Dunkley went to close him down.

Then a low Sinclair cross was just too hard for Johnson to turn on goal in added time as an entertaining half ended scoreless.

Hewitt replaced the impressive Cooper for the second half.

Wildsmith was safely behind a low Sinclair strike five minutes into the restart and a rising near post effort from the same player soon after.

Shelvey then won a race to clear ahead of the chasing Sow.

Wildsmith had to get down smartly to turn round a deflected low Law shot as Stags resumed their offensive.

The lively Corbeanu flashed a shot into the home sidenetting on 61 minutes.

Burke was added to the notebook on 63 minutes for sliding into the back of Dunkley.

But the visitors were ahead seconds later. Johnson sent in a right wing cross, Shelvey came for it but was out-jumped by Wing who buried a header into the inviting net to finally break the deadlock.

But Stags were quickly level on 68 minutes with a beautifully worked goal.

Clarke threaded a neat ball inside to his left to Sinclair and he backheeled the ball into the path of Quinn who beat Wildsmith with an unstoppable rising finish.

On 77 minutes Quinn almost doubled his tally on a counter-attack but was wide of the far post.

Then on 83 minutes Shelvey made a crucial save after another fantastic Corbeanu run took him into the box.

Sow drilled a finish wide of the far post seconds later and Shelvey had to cut out a dangerous Brown cross as the Owls pressed for the win.

Ward shot tamely wide in the four added minutes as we headed towards penalties.

But in the third of those added minutes Wednesday stole a winner.

Wing found Corbeanu on the right and he jinked to the by-line before crossing low for Kamberi to bury a close range rising finish.

STAGS: Shelvey, J. Clarke, Rawson, Cooper (Hewitt HT), Burke, Quinn, Charsley (Lapslie 72), Ward, Law (Oates 79), Sinclair, Johnson. SUBS NOT USED: Stech, Bowery, Charles, Gale.

OWLS: Wildsmith, Gibson (Palmer HT), Dele-Bashiru, Johnson, Kamberi, Dunkley, Corbeanu, Berahino (Shopido HT), Wing, Hunt (Brown 61), Sow. SUBS NOT USED: Render, Iorfa, Adeniran, Adedoyin.

REFEREE: Rebecca Welch.



Phew... - Florian Kamberi to the rescue as Sheffield Wednesday leave it late in the EFL Trophy
Sheffield Star, By Joe Crann, Tuesday 5th October 2021

Sheffield Wednesday pushed their luck in the Papa John’s Trophy against Mansfield Town but managed to secure a win at the death, a rarity for the Owls.

There was nearly some early drama as Saido Berahino closed down George Shelvey in the opening minutes, and almost saw his block head goalwards, but the Mansfield ‘keeper watched with relief as it sailed wide of his post. But things didn’t get much more exciting than that, really.

Theo Corbeanu, one of Wednesday’s only livewires in the first 45, caused plenty of problems down The Stags’ right-hand side, but - aside from a strong effort from outside the box that was parried into Berahino’s path and ultimately dealt with - he was lacking in his end product.

Moore clearly thought things need to change after the break, bringing on Liam Palmer and Olamide Shodipo for Lewis Gibson and Saido Berahino - the young defender getting a good first 45 minutes under his belt in a Wednesday shirt after an assured performance in the backline.


The game continued at a bit of a pedestrian pace though, and it was Mansfield asking the early questions, forcing Wildsmith into a couple of saves before Wednesday got a chance through Corbeanu - who broke, but could only hit the side netting.

Jaden Brown was then brought into the mix, replacing Jack Hunt, and a goal followed shortly after - even though it came down the opposite side.
Lewis Wing found himself in acres of space, and Shelvey was in No Man’s Land as Marvin Johnson’s ball was floated into the box. Wing was able to head into an open net - and Wednesday were ahead.

It didn’t last long though, and it was former Sheffield United man, Stephen Quinn, with a terrific finish just a few minutes later - making it another game that the Owls will have to wait for a clean sheet.

Wednesday twice could’ve regained their lead, but a golden chance for Corbeanu was well-saved, and Sylla Sow saw his effort fizz past the far post from a tight angle.

An odd penalty shootout - for a bonus point - was looming, until Wing found Corbeanu, the Canadian found Kamberi, and the Albanian found the back of the net from close range. Job done - but only just.


Fernando Forestieri chant, Stephen Quinn's reaction and Sheffield Wednesday moments missed
A round-up of the moments you might not have spotted from the Owls' 2-1 victory over Mansfield Town in the Papa John's Trophy last night.

By Dom Howson, Yorkshire Live


Sheffield Wednesday secured qualification to the knock-out phases of the Papa John’s Trophy after a hard-fought win over Mansfield Town last night.

A goal deep into added on time from Florian Kamberi, who rifled home from Theo Corbeanu’s pull back near the byline, ensured the Owls recorded a 2-1 victory.

It was Wednesday's second successive win in the Northern Section Group H.

Here are the moments you might have missed from the tie.

Fernando Forestieri chant
Yesterday was the first time the Owls had played the Stags at the One Call Stadium in over three years. Their last visit came in a pre-season friendly and was marred by an ugly 22-man brawl. Things boiled over near the end after Fernando Forestieri was shown a yellow card for a bad tackle on Mansfield defender Hayden White.

Tempers flared and Forestieri was accused of racially abusing Stags defender Krystian Pearce. Argentine-born Forestieri was acquitted in March 2019 at Mansfield Magistrates’ Court of racially abusing Pearce but was then subsequently charged by the Football Association in June and hit with a six-match ban and a £25,000 fine. Forestier lost his appeal.

In a statement Sheffield Wednesday said: "The club and the player remain extremely disappointed with the findings of the Regulatory Commission and the Appeal Board when Fernando was acquitted in relation to the same incident in a court of law earlier this year."

Wednesdayites had not forgotten the case, either, and chants of 'Oh, Forestieri' could be heard from the away end pre and post match last night.

There was also an outpouring of support from the away end throughout the evening for Jose Semedo.

Saido Berahino's frustration
The striker was one of eight changes made by Darren Moore.

It was a frustrating evening for the former West Bromwich Albion and Stoke City man. He struggled to get going and only had one shot at goal.

He went berserk at star man Theo Corbeanu in the 38th minute. Berahino was closed down quickly near the touchline and managed to win a throw in under pressure from a number of Mansfield defenders.

But Berahino was far from impressed with the lack of movement in front of him and vented his anger towards Corbeanu. He had no option on the ball.

Stephen Quinn's reaction
The former Sheffield United midfielder rifled in the equaliser and proceeded to race towards the 1,600 plus Owls fans to celebrate exuberantly.

Quinn was fired up and did a knee-slide, albeit nowhere near the Wednesday end. It was a poor man's Emmanuel Adebayor celebration.

And Wednesdayites enjoyed taunting Quinn at the final whistle after Kamberi's late winner, singing: "Quinny, what's the score? Quinny, Quinny what's the score?"

Impeccable officiating
It is often said that the best officials are the ones that you don't notice.

Well, Rebecca Welch and her assistants did an excellent job of letting the clash flow.

There has been some iffy officiating in the last few weeks but not yesterday.


Sheffield Wednesday player ratings as Theo Corbeanu inspires last-gasp Mansfield Town victory
All of the marks out of 10 for Darren Moore's Owls team as they left it late to seal a 2-1 win at the One Call Stadium tonight

By Dom Howson, Yorkshire Live

Theo Corbeanu impressed as the Owls left it late at Mansfield Town

Sheffield Wednesday (4-4-2)
Joe Wildsmith 7

Came in for only his second appearance of the season. Was relatively untroubled. Commanded his area well and he always looked to play the ball out quickly from the back. Could do nothing about Quinn’s leveller.

Jack Hunt 6

Looked a tad rusty on his return to the team. Could not influence things offensively and was subbed off.

Chey Dunkley 6

Wore the captain’s armband. Won a number of aerial duels but did not have things all his own way against Mansfield’s mobile forward line.

Lewis Gibson 7

Made his long-awaited Owls debut. The Everton loanee threw himself superbly in front of Charsley's drive in the early skirmishes. A calm, composed display. Withdrawn at half-time.

Marvin Johnson 7

Much-improved showing. Switched to the right to accommodate Brown and delivered a pinpoint cross for opener. Defended well. Should take a lot of confidence from this outing.

Theo Corbeanu 8 (star man)

A constant threat down the right. Was positive and looked to take on his man at every opportunity. Will be disappointed not to have got on the scoresheet. Claimed the assist for the winner.

Fisayo Dele-Bashiru 6

Showed some neat touches and went on a couple of driving runs from deep. Displayed plenty of energy and aggression in the middle of the park.

Lewis Wing 6

Sloppy with the ball at times in swirling, windy conditions. Headed home Johnson’s cross. Finished the game strongly.

Sylla Sow 5

Struggled to make an impact in the opening 45 minutes. Livened up after the break when he moved centrally. Fired narrowly wide when well-placed.

Saido Berahino 5

Had a fierce low shot charged down by Cooper in the first half. Looked comfortable with the ball at his feet but the service into the front players left a lot to be desired. Taken off at half time.

Florian Kamberi 6

Poor in the first half. Repeatedly gave the ball away and did not make it stick in attack. Drilled in his second Owls goal deep into added on time.


Olamide Shodipo (HT, 6)

Tried to make things happen on the left.

Liam Palmer (HT, 6)

Barely put a foot wrong.

Jaded Brown (61, 6)

Slotted in seamlessly at left-back. A willing runner