AIDAN STONE SIGNS FOR PORT VALE
Port Vale agree terms with goalkeeper Aidan Stone
port-vale.co.uk, mansfieldtown.net, Fri 25 June 2021
Port Vale Football Club is delighted to confirm the capture of Aidan Stone, who has agreed a one-year deal with the option of an additional year.
The Stafford-born 21-year-old becomes our second goalkeeper signing this week, following the arrival of Lucas Covolan.
Aidan will officially join the Valiants on July 1, following the conclusion of his Mansfield Town contract.
The shot-stopper joined the Stags following a spell at Premier League Burnley, finishing the 2019/20 season as Mansfield’s first choice keeper.
The arrival of Czech goalkeeper Marek Stech provided healthy competition in the position, as the pair battled for the first-choice spot throughout the 2020/21 campaign.
He made his EFL debut for Mansfield in February 2020, securing a 1-0 home win against Newport County and registered 29 appearances in his two years with the Nottinghamshire-based outfit.
Speaking on conclusion of the agreement, Manager Darrell Clarke said:
“We are pleased to have secured Aidan’s future at Vale Park and expect to have a healthy dose of competition now in the goalkeeping positions, following Lucas’ arrival earlier in the week.
“Another permanent addition to the goalkeeping ranks was preferred over a loan move and developing another club’s player, with 21-year-old Aidan most well-suited to the club’s requirements.
“He is a young, promising goalkeeper and joins with EFL experience. We are confident Ronnie [Sinclair] will be able to continue Aidan’s professional development at the club.”
Welcome to the Vale, Aidan!
AIDAN STONE ON HIS SHOCK AT BEING RELEASED:
Goalkeeper Aidan Stone was shocked by Stags exit
chad.co.uk, By John Lomas, Monday 21st June 2021
Aidan Stone said he was shocked to be released by Mansfield Town this summer.
The young goalkeeper, signed from Burnley, played 29 times for Stags over two season, with 24 starts in the EFL, but did not have his contract renewed by boss Nigel Clough
“It was a bit of a shock really. I thought I'd done enough,” Stone told Mark Plumb in a Mansfield Town News & Views interview.
“I thought given my age and first real season playing I thought I had played well in enough games and had got us a point or three points in some games and kept us in it.
“I thought I had done enough to earn a new contract. But that's football.
“I understand where the gaffer is coming from. You have to move on and prepare for your next challenge.
“It was quite a good conversation considering the outcome. He said my experiences will stand me in good stead for the future.
“I have had a couple of offers come through, so it's just a case of finalising personal terms. I am just keeping myself fit and ready.”
Stone said he will look back on his time with Stags fondly.
“I think it was a successful time as I went from playing U23s football and not thinking I was going to play League Two or One for numerous years,” he said.
“To then having played the good amount of games I have played, it was progressive and I have learned a lot over two years.
“I will be the first to admit I made a few mistakes. That's going to happen - I am 21 and it was probably my first real season I played consecutive games in.
“The gaffer said it was all part of my learning curve and how I will get better as a player. It's not always about pulling off the big saves as you know you will always do that.
“It's how you react to your mistakes and what you do the following game. To start the next game made you realise he trusted and believed in you.”
He added: “I'd like to say a massive thank you and goodbye to the fans.
“Since I walked though the door they have been very welcoming and positive towards me on and off the pitch. That's something I tried to give back as I used to be in that position.”
Latest | June 2021