{ match reports }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Season 18/19 Stagsnet Match Report
English Football League Trophy - Checkatrade Trophy, round 2
Mansfield Town  
0 - 1
 Telford 35. Dawson sent off 85. Lavery missed pen 88
Attendance: 1029 (27 from Bury)
Date: 4 December 2018


Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town were knocked out in the second round of the Checkatrade Trophy by Bury last night after putting in a really poor performance and deservedly losing 1-0. After a 10 day break since the last match, David Flitcroft understandably chose a strong side for the game. Bury on the other hand, having played in the FA Cup against Luton just 48 hours earlier, made nine changes including resting their best players such as Danny Mayor and Nicky Maynard. But it was Bury who dictated the game and looked crisper in their passing while Mansfield looked extremely rusty. Indeed Mansfield’s first half performance must rank as the worst of the season, and perhaps on a par with the second half at Macclesfield as the worst 45 minutes of the season. The Stags were barely able to string a few passes together in that first half with Bury totally dictating things. It took Mansfield 34 minutes to muster any kind of effort on goal with Neal Bishop shooting straight at the keeper. And Bury deservedly went ahead on 35 minutes when Dominic Telford fired powerfully under Conrad Logan after a fortunate ricochet off Mal Benning fell nicely into his path. Mansfield made a triple substitution at half time including bringing on CJ Hamilton, and Hamilton immediately injected some pace and purpose into the Stags game. The second half performance was better from the Stags but Bury still ran out deserved winners. Bury missed the two best chances when Telford chipped over Logan and wide of the post in another 1-on-1 chance, and then Logan saved superbly from Lavery’s penalty after he had brought down Barjonas inside the area who was also though 1-on-1. Former Stags midfielder Stephen Dawson, on his 33rd birthday, and more than a decade after he left Mansfield, was sent off after 85 minutes for a terrible challenge on Tyler Walker on the touchline but it didn’t help the Stags. Ahead of the big local derby against Notts County on Saturday, only CJ Hamilton and Conrad Logan came out of this game with real credit. However if it was rustiness that led to this performance, then it will have been an important game for Mansfield in getting the players back into action and getting that rustiness out of the system before the really big game.

Mansfield made three changes from the side that drew at Lincoln. Logan came in for Olejnik in goal. Logan had played in all games in the competition previously. Hayden White returned from injury for Atkinson. White had pulled out in the warm-up against Lincoln. Otis Khan replaced Hamilton who was rested, having been suffering from tonsillitis and lost some weight. Manager Flitcroft explained that he wanted to give Hamilton some game time, but only 45 minutes. Krystian Pearce was taken off as a precaution at half time with a bit of a groin strain with the big game coming up on Saturday.
Lewis Gibbens, who has gone out on loan to Boston United, a move which should be good for him, could have played if selected as players on loan at non-league clubs are eligible to play for their parent clubs in the Checkatrade Trophy. However Flitcroft went for his usual central defensive three.

The Stags started with a 3-4-1-2 formation, with Khan just behind the front two of Walker and Rose.

The last time Mansfield beat Bury in any competition, David Flitcroft was in the Bury side, including shooting just wide of the post. (my match report from February 2005 here). The two teams will meet again on Boxing Day.

It was a cold evening in Mansfield, three degrees above freezing.

Bury started the game on the front foot. Inside the open 25 seconds they created a double chance. Logan was out quickly to block from Telford at close range, the ball fell to Dagnall, whose shot was cleared off the line by Sweeney. Then after 2 minutes, McFadzean’s cross shot from the left was just over the bar. And on 5 minutes, a low cross from Cooney through the corridor of uncertainty was just missed by Telford in the middle.

A good tackle by Sweeney on 6 minutes. Then a good low take by Logan from a cross on 14 minutes.

On 17 minutes, a free kick from 35 yards for Bury taken by Barjonas, who chipped it in, Logan came for it but didn’t get there, and Aimson headed over the bar.

White did well to win a corner after a 1-2 with Khan on 18 minutes. It was the best passage of play from Mansfield so far. From the first corner, Mansfield won another corner, from which Pearce tried to lay off to Rose in the box but couldn’t.

On 23 minutes, another free kick from 35 yards for Bury again taken by Barjonas, who chipped it in, and Aimson again headed over the bar.

Bury were dictating play and looked hungry , unlike Mansfield who were disjointed. Mansfield’s frustration was summed up as Neal Bishop blasted a ball out of play.

On 33 minutes, McFadzean’s cross-shot was wide of the right post.

Mansfield created their first chance on 34 minutes. White’s cross from the right didn’t reach Benning, but Cooney’s overhead clearance only reached Bishop, who side-footed shot from 18 yards was straight at the keeper.

Bury deservedly went ahead on 35 minutes when Telford fired powerfully under Logan from 16 yards after a fortunate ricochet off Benning fell nicely into his path.

On 37 minutes, Sweeney’s diagonal ball from halfway was straight to McFadzean, who miscontrolled, presenting Walker with a chance to shoot from 26 yards, and Walker fired over the bar.

Then Benning crossed from the left, Walker controlled nicely and flicked goalwards but couldn’t get enough power on it and it was straight at the keeper.

McFadzean was booked for diving in the box trying to win a penalty on 40 minutes. A very blatant dive from the video.

A very poor first half from Mansfield and Bury deservedly ahead at the break.

Half time 0-1

A triple substitution from David Flitcroft at the start of the second half. Davies replaced Rose. Flitcroft explained that he always intended to give both 45 minutes. Hamilton replaced Pearce. Pearce was taken off as a precaution at half time with a bit of a groin strain with the big game coming up on Saturday. Flitcroft explained that he wanted to give Hamilton some game time, but only 45 minutes. And Elsnik replaced Khan. Mansfield switched to a 4-3-3 formation, with Bishop, Mellis and Elsnik in midfield, and Walker, Davies, Hamilton up front.

Hamilton was straight into the action. A good run down the left sparked a good move, which ended with White teeing up Bishop for a low shot from 24 yards, saved on his line by the keeper on 48 minutes.

On 53 minutes, Hamilton was hauled down by Aimson, who was booked. Following the resulting free kick, Hamilton’s powerful volley from 16 yards was blocked by his own man Walker, straight back to Hamilton, whose second shot was blocked by Stephen Dawson, then Mellis fired inches over the bar from 30 yards.

Good defending by Sweeney on the edge of his own area on 58 minutes.

Bury should have doubled their lead on 64 minutes. McFadzuan threaded a fine ball forward for Telford, who was 1-on-1 with Logan, and dinked the ball over Logan but wide of the right post.

On 65 minutes, a good ball from Elsnik from the right, Benning knocked it back into the middle but it was cleared.

Good play from Davies to win a free kick on 67 minutes. Elsnik laid the free kick off to Mellis, who good a good connection on his shot which fizzed wide from 30 yards.

A great run from Hamilton on 71 minutes but his cross evaded Walker. Moments later Elsnik found Bishop, whose shot was half-blocked through to the keeper.

Hamilton went close on 72 minutes. He superbly controlled a high ball forward from Mellis, got it into his right foot and fired towards the bottom left corner of the net. The keeper parried away at full stretch.

On 73 minutes, Hamilton crossed from the left and Walker went down under a clumsy challenge from Miller, but from the video there was not enough for a penalty.

Logan made a good save on 75 minutes. Sub Nicky Adams crossed low from the right, Telford flicked goalwards from close range and Logan saved with his feet. Six minutes later, another good save from Logan. Adams crossed from the right again, it deflected off Matt Preston and Logan tipped it wide for a corner at full stretch.

Bishop was booked for chopping down Adams on 82 minutes. He took one for the team there.

Telford played a 1-2 with sub Gold Omotayo on 83 minutes and fired over the bar from 19 yards.

Stephen Dawson was sent off after 85 minutes for a terrible challenge on Walker on the touchline. It was a bad foul, but he didn’t deserve to be told “f*** off fatty” by a section of the crowd in the West Stand lower tier, and Dawson looked bemused at getting such abuse as he trudged to the tunnel.

On 88 minutes, Bury should have sealed the game. From the free kick resulting from the free kick, Bury broke and Barjonas got into the area 1-on-1 with Logan. Barjonas attempted to go around Logan and Logan brought him down. Logan was correctly booked and not sent off as he was attempting to get the ball, and Barjonas touch was taking him away from goal as well. Logan saved superbly from Lavery’s penalty, diving low to his left and saving with his left hand fully outstretched.

Logan immediately launched upfield and Hamilton nearly got on the end of it but it just went through to the keeper. It was clever from Logan and nearly paid off.

On 89 minutes, Elsnik tried his luck from 28 yards wide on the right, but was so far wide he sent it out for a throw-in level with the edge of the area.

Six minutes of stoppage time were added on but the Stags could not create any further chances.

The Stags can now concentrate on the league.

Man of the match: Hamilton/Logan

Report by: Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Line Up:
Logan 7 Superb save from the penalty and three other good saves.
Preston 6
Pearce 6 Taken off as a precaution at half time.
Sweeney 6.5 A clearance off the line and a couple of bits of good defending.
White 6 Did well to win a corner on 18 minutes which was the Stags best passage to that point. Set up a chance for Bishop.
Mellis 5.5 A couple of shots not far off target.
Bishop 6 Three shots on target, all saved by the keeper.
Benning 5.5 Unfortunate that the ricochet off him fell nicely for Telford for the goal.
Khan 5.5 Quiet half. Replaced at half time.
Walker 5.5 One nice piece of control and flick goalwards at the keeper. Things didn’t go his way.
Rose 5.5 Very quiet first half. Subbed at half time.
Sub Line Up:
Davies (for Rose, 46 mins) 5.5 Good play to win one free kick. Didn’t contribute much otherwise.
Hamilton (for Pearce, 46 mins) 7 Injected some pace and purpose into the Stags game in the second half. Several good runs down the left. One shot brought a good save from the keeper.
Elsnik (for Khan, 46 mins) 6 One or two decent passes.
Subs not used: Olejnik, Atkinson, Butcher, Graham.
Opposition Line Up:
(3-5-2): Hudson; Miller, Aimson, Thompson (56, Lavery); Cooney, Dawson, Dagnall (75, Omotayo), Styles, McFadzean (46’ Adams); Telford, Barjonas. Subs not used: Moloney, Hulme, Nyaupembe, Seriki.
Robert Lewis 7 Correct decisions for the red card and the penalty.

Season 18/19 Reports