{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Woburn Lane & Hotel Update

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Woburn Lane & Hotel Update

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:22 pm

Vice President wrote:The cost seems incredibly high! I am no expert on what these things cost - but do we think we are getting good value for money here?
For £2m we could have bought a fair few other things, such as the players that could almost guarantee a promotion or even two promotions, or a new Bishop St. stand.
I only point this out because we seem to be managing pretty well on the training front without this expensive project.

A large amount of the cost is coming from a grant that the club applied for.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Frontrowhero » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:24 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Vice President wrote:The cost seems incredibly high! I am no expert on what these things cost - but do we think we are getting good value for money here?
For £2m we could have bought a fair few other things, such as the players that could almost guarantee a promotion or even two promotions, or a new Bishop St. stand.
I only point this out because we seem to be managing pretty well on the training front without this expensive project.

Also massive thanks to jr and Steve Hymas funding through mansfield town developments helping pick up the rest of the bill. I would sooner the money be put in trying to produce some of our own talent and a facility that will be there for years too come, trying to help the club to the next level through producing our own talent. Not some journeyman players picking up one last fat pay cheque dropping down from the championship.

I see your point re bishop street, I'm sure vp should we get to the championship jr has plans to get a nice shiny new stand, until then not needed
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:31 pm

I’m looking forward to the day when we have youngsters emerging from our academy and a manager willing to give them a try.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:54 pm

Frontrowhero wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

Also massive thanks to jr and Steve Hymas funding through mansfield town developments helping pick up the rest of the bill. I would sooner the money be put in trying to produce some of our own talent and a facility that will be there for years too come, trying to help the club to the next level through producing our own talent. Not some journeyman players picking up one last fat pay cheque dropping down from the championship.

I see your point re bishop street, I'm sure vp should we get to the championship jr has plans to get a nice shiny new stand, until then not needed

Agree with all of that fella.
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:31 pm

The academy is not the problem, just the last two managers keeping the lads away from the senior team. There have been times that we could have given one or two a chance from the bench. I know the managers walk the tightrope of success but until we try a few will we will never produce a potential money earner.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:23 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:

Only 27% is provided by a grant. The club are putting up most of the costs: the remaining 73% - approx £1.5m.
We have been training successfully up to now. I am not convinced that these training pitches will suddenly produce great players, or signal an successful fruition in youth talent (which isn't usually the way to get promoted out of league 2 in any case).
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby steve-hymas » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:15 pm

Vice President wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

Only 27% is provided by a grant. The club are putting up most of the costs: the remaining 73% - approx £1.5m.
We have been training successfully up to now. I am not convinced that these training pitches will suddenly produce great players, or signal an successful fruition in youth talent (which isn't usually the way to get promoted out of league 2 in any case).
you have been mis-informed or read the wrong info .
Woburn lane is owned by myself and JR in a company called Mansfield Town Developments .I have managed to get a 27% grant from the Fa and premier league facilities fund .The other £1.5 m is being supplied by Mansfield town Developments .So not costing the club anything .We are developing property with this company to generate income used on the project .
VP you are totally barking up the wrong tree but you weren’t to know
steve-hymas
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby smulls » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:08 am

Yes, Vice President. The new training centre will attract new players I am sure!!
smulls
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby The One » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:56 pm

Re hotels. We have none now three turning up at once

https://www.chad.co.uk/news/third-hotel ... -1-8973667
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:02 pm

The One wrote:Re hotels. We have none now three turning up at once

https://www.chad.co.uk/news/third-hotel ... -1-8973667

Will probably have been built by the time the Chad webpage loads.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:37 pm

I think one will be sufficient, first to lay bricks will take the slot.

Time will tell?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:42 pm

All sounds positive for little ode Mansfield!
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:27 pm

Frontrowhero wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

"Championship"? ....... We don't actually need to wait for an event that might never happen!
We built the other three stands without being in the Championship - and most clubs in league 2 and league 1 have built new stadiums without using the championship as the only criteria.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:41 pm

Vice President wrote:
Frontrowhero wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

"Championship"? ....... We don't actually need to wait for an event that might never happen!
We built the other three stands without being in the Championship - and most clubs in league 2 and league 1 have built new stadiums without using the championship as the only criteria.

You use the word "we" a lot

How much are you putting in?
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:39 pm

Beano wrote:
Vice President wrote:
Frontrowhero wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

You use the word "we" a lot

How much are you putting in?

Not sure that's the point. But never mind.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:41 pm

"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby old ram stag » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:54 pm

Be interesting to see how that corner will look from inside the ground and where the tunnel will be etc.
old ram stag
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:43 pm

I'd be very surprised if part of the process isn't adding to the clubs own facilities: offices, dressing rooms, shop etc.

That corner can't help but be improved on its current shabbiness. You'd think that the club would want to add some hospitality boxes to the corner too, but obviously none of us are party to the owners ideas.
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby old ram stag » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:52 pm

If we were to have a new nice shop would be better in the north/west stand corner being on the retail park.
old ram stag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:07 pm

At MK Dons part of the supporters bar and also hospitality is incorporated within the Hilton built into the stand.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:43 pm

Marky Mark wrote:

The façade of yellow and grey diamonds seems to have be unfinished with gaps.
Is this by design or work in progress?
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:32 pm

old ram stag wrote:If we were to have a new nice shop would be better in the north/west stand corner being on the retail park.

Not near the away end, no chance!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:37 pm

old ram stag wrote:Be interesting to see how that corner will look from inside the ground and where the tunnel will be etc.

#
Tunnell will be Bishop Street ;)
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:17 pm

Gosh - I’m really concerned.

Where will the club’s execs and players have to park their cars?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby smulls » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:39 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:Gosh - I’m really concerned.

Where will the club’s execs and players have to park their cars?

Underground car park under the new stand.
smulls
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum