{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Goals For

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Goals For

Postby broomo » Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:50 pm

Today we've just matched the 72 goals we scored last season (top scorers) with 10 games to go.

This isn't meant as an "I told you so" post but it was always pretty clear we were healthy up front and just needed to convert more chances.

DKD looks to be every inch the 20 goal a season man and with Lucas and Will chipping in semi regularly we look in good shape for the run in.

Incredible goals tally really and I'd put decent money on us finishing with 90+ goals.

Cracking entertainment.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Re: Goals For

Postby Sneag » Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:56 pm

We're in with a good chance of topping 100 in all comps, which is nice.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:29 pm

Sneag wrote:We're in with a good chance of topping 100 in all comps, which is nice.

We've failed to score in only 4 league games this season.

In our last 8 games we have averaged 3.125 goals a game,

Keep that up in our final 10 then it's 31 goals and 103 goals.

We've conceded an average of 1.125 a game in the same period. so 11 more goals conceded. Which would take us to 44 goals against.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:40 am

Flitcroft's side conceded 41 goals when we finished 4th, a really good achievement.

Interestingly the highest scoring side that season was Lincoln with 73. We're 1 goal behind that with 10 games left.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:46 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Flitcroft's side conceded 41 goals when we finished 4th, a really good achievement.

Interestingly the highest scoring side that season was Lincoln with 73. We're 1 goal behind that with 10 games left.

Adam and Dan firing up their laptops :lol:

Still, it finally looks like we are going to beat DF's highest league position in 20 years record :D
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby steiner » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:43 pm

I remember us scoring 100+ in the Andy King play off season…goals across the team that season too
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby pemill » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:12 pm

broomo wrote:Today we've just matched the 72 goals we scored last season (top scorers) with 10 games to go.

This isn't meant as an "I told you so" post but it was always pretty clear we were healthy up front and just needed to convert more chances.

DKD looks to be every inch the 20 goal a season man and with Lucas and Will chipping in semi regularly we look in good shape for the run in.

Incredible goals tally really and I'd put decent money on us finishing with 90+ goals.

Cracking entertainment.

Swan chipping in semi regularly? if I'm not mistaken he has got the best goals per minutes ratio, had he been afforded the minutes of both DKD and Akins he's probably be topping the L2 top scorers.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:16 pm

An excellent point well made Pemill.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:17 pm

What’s the breakdown of scorers by competition? Swan has found form at the most perfect time and he’s on track to beat his tally for last season. Lucas’s return has been excellent this season.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:20 pm

pemill wrote:
broomo wrote:Today we've just matched the 72 goals we scored last season (top scorers) with 10 games to go.

Cracking entertainment.

Swan chipping in semi regularly? if I'm not mistaken he has got the best goals per minutes ratio, had he been afforded the minutes of both DKD and Akins he's probably be topping the L2 top scorers.

Not with the way he, was playing up to January. He was massively off form and couldn't hit a barn door from five yards for quite some time
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:21 pm

pemill wrote:

Cracking entertainment.

He wasn't playing well enough to warrant a start. Now he is.

No doubt at all that when he's confident and playing well he's the clubs most naturally gifted finisher and certainly carries a bigger individual goal threat than Lucas.

The "occasionally chipping in" wasn't a criticism in any shape of form. I always hoped and believed he'd play his way back into the goals.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:31 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:
pemill wrote:

Cracking entertainment.

Not with the way he, was playing up to January. He was massively off form and couldn't hit a barn door from five yards for quite some time

he was getting 5 minutes at the end of the a game and the occasion chicken feed cup game. IMO its not enough. Not complaining like, as we're top and its worked, but i think its harsh to say hes been poor when i dont think he was personally.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:34 pm

Just to add.

He's got 6 in his last 8 appearances, which is phenomenal but prior to that it was 2 in 26 appearances in all comps.

Obviously a lot of those were cameos and you could argue too little time to have a real impact but....he missed some huge opportunities in some of those cameos.

He's NEVER been out of Nigels plans. Nigel has always said he's got faith in him and all it would take was a goal to get his confidence going.

A fit and confident Will Swan is a cracking boost to the squad and to our chances of going up automatically.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:35 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:
pemill wrote:

Cracking entertainment.

he was getting 5 minutes at the end of the a game and the occasion chicken feed cup game. IMO its not enough. Not complaining like, as we're top and its worked, but i think its harsh to say hes been poor when i dont think he was personally.

Except at the start of the campaign when he was starting games but doing nothing. That’s why he was dropped and found it difficult to get back in.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:38 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:
pemill wrote:

Cracking entertainment.

If he'd have tucked away the odd chance or two out of those few minutes he got, he would have got more minutes.

He got 2 off the bench v Harrogate and that got him starts, he got one off the bench v Swindon and that'll probably get him a start.

There is a huge and clear difference between the Will Swan of now and the Will Swan of pre January. There just is.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:43 pm

The difference is confidence.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:43 pm

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Flitcroft's side conceded 41 goals when we finished 4th, a really good achievement.

Still, it finally looks like we are going to beat DF's highest league position in 20 years record :D

:lol: :lol: It’s about the only good thing he did ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:45 pm

Dan wrote:
Rob wrote:

:lol: :lol: It’s about the only good thing he did ;)

If we didn’t concede that 41st goal we’d have got promotion, boo :lol:
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:49 pm

Moving slightly away from goals for….

we last conceded 3 in a game (of any competition) to salford in a 5-2 defeat last february. 58 games ago.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:56 pm

adamstag wrote:Moving slightly away from goals for….

we last conceded 3 in a game (of any competition) to salford in a 5-2 defeat last february. 58 games ago.

NOW...YOU'VE...DONE...IT
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:08 am

Showaddywaddy wrote:What’s the breakdown of scorers by competition? Swan has found form at the most perfect time and he’s on track to beat his tally for last season. Lucas’s return has been excellent this season.

Martin keeps a running total of scorers at the end of his match reports if that's what you mean?

Goals (league and cup):
Keillor-Dunn 18 goals, 12 assists.
Akins 13 goals, 5 assists.
Maris 9 goals, 7 assists.
Swan 8 goals, 6 assists.
Oates 5 goals, 5 assists.
Boateng 4 goals, 1 assist.
Cargill 4 goals, 3 assists.
Clarke 3 goals 6 assists.
Quinn 3 goals, 9 assists.
Bowery 2 goals, 2 assists.
Flint 2 goals, 5 assists.
Gale 2 goals, 2 assists.
Johnson 2 goals, 2 assists.
Nichols 2 goals, 2 assists.
Reed 2 goals, 2 assists.
Brunt 1 goal, 1 assist.
Cooper 1 goal.
Lewis 1 goal, 3 assists.
Macdonald 1 assist.
McLaughlin 1 assist.
Williams 1 assist.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Ethers1979 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:10 am

Ethers1979
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Johnny Rotten » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:22 am

You mean going off thread? Maybe a new thread relating to the subject matter in question is required?

I know, it's so left field to have a thread kept on subject but then that's what admins are accountable for...
@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:47 am

Johnny Rotten wrote:

You mean going off thread? Maybe a new thread relating to the subject matter in question is required?

I know, it's so left field to have a thread kept on subject but then that's what admins are accountable for...

Should he have slipped a park run reference in there ?
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:51 am

Stoney wrote:
Showaddywaddy wrote:What’s the breakdown of scorers by competition? Swan has found form at the most perfect time and he’s on track to beat his tally for last season. Lucas’s return has been excellent this season.

Martin keeps a running total of scorers at the end of his match reports if that's what you mean?

Goals (league and cup):
Keillor-Dunn 18 goals, 12 assists.
Akins 13 goals, 5 assists.
Maris 9 goals, 7 assists.
Swan 8 goals, 6 assists.
Oates 5 goals, 5 assists.
Boateng 4 goals, 1 assist.
Cargill 4 goals, 3 assists.
Clarke 3 goals 6 assists.
Quinn 3 goals, 9 assists.
Bowery 2 goals, 2 assists.
Flint 2 goals, 5 assists.
Gale 2 goals, 2 assists.
Johnson 2 goals, 2 assists.
Nichols 2 goals, 2 assists.
Reed 2 goals, 2 assists.
Brunt 1 goal, 1 assist.
Cooper 1 goal.
Lewis 1 goal, 3 assists.
Macdonald 1 assist.
McLaughlin 1 assist.
Williams 1 assist.

Cheers Stoney, I was curious of the breakdown by competition, league goals, FA Cup (not hard Oates 1), League Cup and Trophy and couldn’t find it anywhere. Can always just work through the fixtures.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum