{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Prices in Sandys

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Prices in Sandys

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:26 am

Jamie wrote:A few non match day regulars not going won't make any difference if the vast majority of income comes on match day when it's still very busy.

The prices mentioned don't seem too bad to me, sure you can get cheaper but you can say that about loads of things. If you want to watch football cheaper you can, if you want to drink cheaper you can. If you want to drink at MTFC and watch MTFC you pay MTFC prices. It's called supply and demand.

If we go up expect prices to go up across the board. This is a business trying to compete with other businesses on and off the pitch. As with everything you can always go elsewhere. If the bar was empty the prices would come down. Its not,, so they don't.

and what happens if it dies a death? once you lose a trade you lose it.

probably about 10 years ago, the Sandy Pate used to be rammed every Friday night. The season stopped, so they stopped the live bands as if peoples lives just stopped in the summer. They tried to restart the bands the following season and never ever recovered from it. Biggest mistake they made imo

What I am saying is, If you make people think about other options, then your business model is not a good one. When people then try alternatives, its difficult to recover from it. The increase has been significant enough to start a debate on here. Remember we are not big a big city, prices like this are not really seen in Mansfield, unless you are il Rosso or Ill Rossos little brother, and why not.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:30 am

Are they related ?
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby SeanieStag » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:59 am

Jamie’s right. I’m a Towers regular but recently their prices have had a massive increase. I pass by Triple S at least once a week without really noticing it but last week I popped in to see what the competition was like. It’s significantly cheaper and I’m now looking to switch venues.

The fact that there is a thread about the pricing shows that people are concerned. It’s hard to justify £6 a pint when you can get 18 cans for £12 on a supermarket special deal or nip to ‘Spoons for half the price. Prices have increased everywhere and that’s not Stags’ fault but high prices and low disposable income is not good for a hospitality business. It can get away with so much due to the limited options when you are at the ground. However, like the cinema and gig venues, people will find a way around the high cost for food and beverages by sneaking items in or filling up before or after which causes more problems.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Costastag » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:04 am

Jamie wrote:A few non match day regulars not going won't make any difference if the vast majority of income comes on match day when it's still very busy.

The prices mentioned don't seem too bad to me, sure you can get cheaper but you can say that about loads of things. If you want to watch football cheaper you can, if you want to drink cheaper you can. If you want to drink at MTFC and watch MTFC you pay MTFC prices. It's called supply and demand.

If we go up expect prices to go up across the board. This is a business trying to compete with other businesses on and off the pitch. As with everything you can always go elsewhere. If the bar was empty the prices would come down. Its not,, so they don't.

Get what your saying but the price of beer shouldn't go up because we will be in a higher division ,that's taking the proverbial
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:36 am

Captain Cunno wrote:Are they related ?

Gibbo and Kirsty? Yeh
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:54 am

part time pete wrote:The problem now that it is contactless tapping you don’t realise what you are paying as you never get offered a receipt.

I don't know if this is fantastic irony or a ridiculous genuine comment.

The line between the two is thin.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:03 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
part time pete wrote:The problem now that it is contactless tapping you don’t realise what you are paying as you never get offered a receipt.

Well he has a point.... When you tap, how often do you look at the screen? How easy is it for someone to accidently key in the wrong number, even though they may have verbally said the correct price from the till.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:27 pm

This is the internet. Everything everyone says is in bad faith and more often than not a thinly veiled direct insult to whoever is reading it.
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:27 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:

Well, he has a point.... When you tap, how often do you look at the screen? How easy is it for someone to accidentally key in the wrong number, even though they may have verbally said the correct price from the till.

Always look at the screen!
It's the modern-day equivalent of checking your change.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:28 pm

There's a price list in front of you as you pay so you.know the.cost per drink.

The 'receipt' is sent as a notification to your phone from your online banking app immediately after a transaction - least that's what I get. So you know if your round is £25, not accidentally £250.

And look at the screen before you tap.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Tre Cool » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:41 pm

The two outdoor bars have different price points.

The kiosk next to Sandy's was £3.40 for a Carling, the bar opposite was £4 as of January. Both have now gone up in price. I'm not sure if the price disparity still exists.
Last edited by Tre Cool on Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tre Cool
First Team
First Team

Postby HitchcocksShins » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:41 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:There's a price list in front of you as you pay so you.know the.cost per drink.

The 'receipt' is sent as a notification to your phone from your online banking app immediately after a transaction - least that's what I get. So you know if your round is £25, not accidentally £250.

And look at the screen before you tap.

Don't take that tone with me.
Also, keep my family members out of it.
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Rustystag » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:25 pm

I do feel sorry for the bar staff in there as they seem to be taken the brunt of the flack over the price increase when it's out of their hands

However personal opinion for me Sandy suffers from an identity crisis it needs the football people in however inside it's decorated like you wouldn't expect

That's three football shirts outside of the bar itself and some
little pictures on the wall that is it

To say that's a club supporters bar it's like they want nothing to do with the club itself

A lot of us on know who Sandy Pete is and what he did for the club

However inside the bar there's hardly a mention of his name there should at least be a shirt framed above the bar

It's surprising when you see the likes of priors well, Byron and the ram all seem to want to be more Mansfield pubs than our own club's bar

I think people higher up in the club probably at board level need to look at Sandy's and maybe take a little bit more of an interest into it and maybe turn it into a sports bar somewhere Mansfield fans can go and be proud of where it shows our history
Rustystag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby scotsstag » Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:12 pm

Was Sandy Pete a groundsman? :D
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:14 pm

Rustystag wrote:I do feel sorry for the bar staff in there as they seem to be taken the brunt of the flack over the price increase when it's out of their hands

However personal opinion for me Sandy suffers from an identity crisis it needs the football people in however inside it's decorated like you wouldn't expect

That's three football shirts outside of the bar itself and some
little pictures on the wall that is it

To say that's a club supporters bar it's like they want nothing to do with the club itself

A lot of us on know who Sandy Pete is and what he did for the club

However inside the bar there's hardly a mention of his name there should at least be a shirt framed above the bar

It's surprising when you see the likes of priors well, Byron and the ram all seem to want to be more Mansfield pubs than our own club's bar

I think people higher up in the club probably at board level need to look at Sandy's and maybe take a little bit more of an interest into it and maybe turn it into a sports bar somewhere Mansfield fans can go and be proud of where it shows our history

Agreed, to me it should be a sports bar, as it was originally, not trying to be a bistro like it is now. When people want to go for a nice meal, their first thought is not going to be to pop down to The One Call, no matter how nice the food is.

The only times I've ever been there are matchdays, after playing five a side or to watch football. Whilst it's nice that they serve food, I think it would do much better if it was a dedicated sports bar.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:16 pm

Looks at the Broughtons........
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum