{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Newport scorefred sponsored by 1 down 7 to go

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Newport scorefred sponsored by 1 down 7 to go

Postby Sue » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:59 am

WoodhouseStag wrote:
Sue wrote:
WoodhouseStag wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:Listening to Welsh commentary on the radio.

Christ they are biased

Our iFollow commentators are incredibly biased too :lol:

Our iFollow commentators are incredibly fair

I'll agree to disagree, Sue! :lol:

I'm probably biased :lol:
Sue
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby lifestags » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:49 am

We are some team, proper strong performance yesterday.

For me, Bailey Cargill is underrated what a signing he has been. His performance levels at left back since county at home have been quality.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:30 pm

Well done to all the fans that travelled it was a long journey and then to be in a open stand, but with the team brought 3 valuable points back.
Coughlan had a master plan win the ball and boot it up field and with Williams=Flint=Brunt=Cargill waiting it failed and Pym did not have a save to make.
Mansfield were the better team and created more and better chances, Blaming the ref was as brilliant has his game plan .
No shots on target and the ref gets the blame. hope he gets away with that statement, they lost to a better team.
A big well done to our squad
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:45 pm

I'm still bemused as to what Coughlan is going on about, I can't remember one single incident which changed the game in our favour or theirs.

It might have been an even game first half but second we should have been out of sight. Pretty much we got the goal and cruised to full time, 1-0 is always precarious but without a freak goal they didn't look like scoring.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:28 pm

There was a run of incidents in the first half with their number 3 which were nonsense but I think certainly their crowd wanted Williams and Clarke to be booked / sent off / hung drawn and quartered.
It fed a bit of a narrative that they were hard down by, on the way out there were mutters of a penalty not given which were too far from to make a judgement.
Coughlan doesn't have any of the match stats yo back up his feeling of being hard done by
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:31 pm

pemill wrote:I'm still bemused as to what Coughlan is going on about, I can't remember one single incident which changed the game in our favour or theirs.

It might have been an even game first half but second we should have been out of sight. Pretty much we got the goal and cruised to full time, 1-0 is always precarious but without a freak goal they didn't look like scoring.
Sour grapes. Also him cold shouldering Lewis was so unprofessional.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:53 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
pemill wrote:I'm still bemused as to what Coughlan is going on about, I can't remember one single incident which changed the game in our favour or theirs.

Sure it didn’t bother Lewis, he left for a reason.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:59 pm

Conker wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Sure it didn’t bother Lewis, he left for a reason.

I always wonder how he’d got a job at bristol rovers, whereas from time to time i make posts about another former manager, coughlan was proper crap, especially when he binned off wingers and took our all creativity.

Wouldn’t want him back anytime soon.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:53 pm

Half Time Thoughts

A very scrappy game with a lot of the play down Newport's right in front of the stand. Newport are hitting a lot of long balls to the enthusiastic farmer Will Evans but Lewis Brunt is dealing with them well so far.

The Stags have had the best two chances. DKD was clean through on goal but shot straight at the keeper Nick Townsend from 30 yards. Ollie Clarke should have scored with his left foot in the area but again shot straight at Townsend. Tom Nichols has played well up front with his link play. DKD and Nichols could have done with a bit better service. Final ball let us down at times.

I'm chuckling at the Newport fans going mental over Baily Cargill stealing a few feet at throw ins. I was here last April when every Micky Demetriou long throw was taken 10-15 yards further up the pitch from where the ball went out and the ref and linesman did nothing. I've never known a set of fans who expect every decision to go their way. They were screaming for a free kick and a yellow card when Ollie Clarke tickled Adam Lewis on the far side and Lewis threw himself on the floor and started rolling around. They were also shouting for penalties when Brunt, Cargill and Flint made good tackles. Completely deluded.

Full Time Thoughts

A great three three bags of coal for the Super Stags. It was a scrappy game at times but Mansfield should have won by more. Newport County did not have a shot on goal.

DKD could have had a hat-trick and should have had a penalty when he was clearly clipped as he dribbled into the area before George Maris scored. DKD played well up front with Tom Nichols with George Maris in behind. Maris scored his 9th league goal of the season. Ollie Clarke had a good chance in the 1st half. Hiram Boateng headed over the bar after a lovely cross from George Williams. Baily Cargill had a good shot saved and provided the assist for George Maris. Lucas Akins was great up front when he came on as a 2nd half sub. Lucas Akins, DKD and Tom Nichols all demonstrated some lovely ball control at times.

Lewis Brunt was brilliant at the back. Will Evans never got a sniff. He was my MOM along with Aden Flint. Baily Cargill also had a very good game after getting an early ticking off from Nigel Clough for missing a tackle. George Williams also played really well. Adam Lewis got no joy out of him.

Louis Reed and Ollie Clarke were very quick to the ball and hoovered up a lot of second balls. I was not surprised to see Stephen Quinn replace Hiram Boateng who had a hit and miss game. Stephen Quinn was very lively down the left and was furious with himself for not setting up Aaron Lewis for a tap in for a second goal although Aaron might have blasted it over the bar! I was surprised when Tom Nichols and Ollie Clarke came off as we were well in control and they were playing well. George Maris had to move to the right side of midfield to accomodate Lucas Akins and Jordan Bowery going up front with DKD behind. We then lost a bit of our fluency and resorted to more long balls out of defence to Lucas Akins who did a great job holding the ball up and setting up counter attacks. It was also good to see him turn and shoot a few times as he does not do this enough being very unselfish.

Aaron Lewis came on as a sub to chants of "scab" from the Newport fans. I don't know if he felt a bit intimidated but he did not play well when he came on and put a shot over the top of the away end. His shooting has been weak this season apart from his 40 yard first time volley over the keeper's head at Accrington. He should have won us the game away at Swindon where he had three good chances to score. He's probably struggling to get back to his early season form due to not having a run of games. The competition is tough.

Newport sponsors gave MOM to right back Lewis Payne who was subbed on 74 minutes. I would have given it to Will Evans. He did not do a great deal mainly down to the excellent Lewis Brunt but you had to admire his enthusiasm and 100% effort and you always thought he was a threat.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:16 am

The only thing I would disagree with is over DKD, he shouldn't have had a hatrick as twice he should have slipped the ball to Bowery who was clear in the 6 yard box.
Jordan was doing his nut after both shots as they would have been tap ins.
An effective, good enough performance across the field with some stand out performances. I thought Williams was lucky not to be booked early on and settled well after that whilst Brunt and Flint were imperious
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:37 pm

Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:27 pm

I like Graham Coughlan but he is completely deluded. The best team won and it was the same last season.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum