{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report, including detailed report

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:02 pm

Rob wrote:It's a subjective rating and I've never done it like Martin. Akins was involved in a goal, got a player sent off for a professional foul and scored a great goal. His overall play was outstanding. Only reason I didn't give him a 10 was I felt Quinn shaded MOM. If you only gave a 10 for a faultless performance you'd never, ever give a 10.

It would help if you actually read my responses before you go full tilt. I said if you only deducted 0.5 when there were 3 glaring misses and two areas where he brought attacks to a standstill, and that was off the top of my head not that I said to deduct that for each error.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:14 pm

Was his header straight at the keeper? My recollection is that it was a good save albeit a downward header would have been unsaveble but Lucas does have a 50p head.

At the time I felt it was more a good save than a glaring miss
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:30 pm

Call it 9.25 lads and enjoy the moment :D :D
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby daddycool » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:34 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
Rob wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:
Bradders wrote:
Rob wrote:You do wonder what game some watch, Akins was outstanding on Saturday. I gave him 9.5 on Eggys ratings, I gave Quinn 10, it was a masterclass of quality and experience from them both..

Yes, both showing why they are crucial players. I had Quinn as man of the match, closely followed by Akins. Even when he's not quite at his best, Akins is a nightmare for any opposition defence.

I'm not a great fan of Akins but will fully agree that he played well on Saturday but how can you possibly give him 9.5 when he directed one header embarrassingly wide, one sitter on a plate straight at the goalkeeper, one shot high and wide from 15 yards and fell over his feet twice in two separate attacks that brought them to a disappointing stop. Some of his control and touches were excellent and he held up the ball brilliantly but come on.

So firstly you answered your own question with your first few words, secondly you do know we play in Div 4? If you can't see what Akins brings to our side then perhaps Rugby is more your thing Chris ;)

When you consider Akins and Bowery have played almost every game this season isn't it amazing we're top with the best attacking and defensive record in the division .......... if you believed some of the guff on here you'd think we'd been playing with 9 men all season!

My query was how he could get 9.5 when there were all those quite stark issues not that he was a 4 or a 5. If you're only going to detract 0.5 for them then surely it defeats the whole concept of 10 being perfect Rob? That's all I'm saying, not that he was rubbish. I did say he played well.

Strange how you can remember every mistake Akins made but probably hardly any of the rest of the players.
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:01 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
Rob wrote:It's a subjective rating and I've never done it like Martin. Akins was involved in a goal, got a player sent off for a professional foul and scored a great goal. His overall play was outstanding. Only reason I didn't give him a 10 was I felt Quinn shaded MOM. If you only gave a 10 for a faultless performance you'd never, ever give a 10.

It would help if you actually read my responses before you go full tilt. I said if you only deducted 0.5 when there were 3 glaring misses and two areas where he brought attacks to a standstill, and that was off the top of my head not that I said to deduct that for each error.

OK, so given you think he missed three glaring chances and ruined two attacks what rating would you give him?

You and I did not see the same game I'm afraid Chris. If you look at the header from the pitch cam its rather ridiculous to call that a glaring chance, I don't recall the other two, all I really remember is what a great game he had.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:06 pm

Rob wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:

OK, so given you think he missed three glaring chances and ruined two attacks what rating would you give him?

You and I did not see the same game I'm afraid Chris. If you look at the header from the pitch cam its rather ridiculous to call that a glaring chance, I don't recall the other two, all I really remember is what a great game he had.

Akins had a great game, as did most players. A great goal and good play which brought the red card.

His header was a good effort that brought a very good save.

He had a glaring miss in the first half :
A brilliant run from Keillor-Dunn, and Akins sent a left footed shot over the bar, when he just needed to keep it down. Andy Garner said after the game: "he skied one over the bar earlier, which was an awful finish when he was leaning back. I keep telling them in training” (to keep it down).
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:12 pm

Ah yes the leaning back shot, I've not seen it back, wasn't it on his left foot and bobbling a bit, it's what we thought at the time. What was the other glaring miss Chris refers to?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:48 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
part time pete wrote:The pass from Reed to Williams in the build up to Swan's goal was fabulous. Some folk might say it was too far in front of him, but it made Williams do only one thing and that was cross it first time.

It reminded me of the pass from Pele to Carlos Alberto in the 1970 world cup final in so much it gave Williams the only option of crossing the ball first time, much like the Carlos Alberto goal scoring shot.

When Reed played that pass I said 'give him a chance!' :lol:

I can't work out if Williams cross took a slight deflection.

I thought exactly the same. It’s amazing how many times you remember thinking in the game that we’ve made a mistake or played a wrong pass or something and then the highlights show it 10-15 seconds back in the build up to a goal. I remember thinking at the time that Akins should have gone cross field for the pass, it wasn’t until
I saw the first goal in the highlights that his actual pass back down the line was in the lead up to the first goal.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:39 pm

Rob wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:

He had a header at the North stand end which was probably the first one he has hit truly cleanly all season and the keeper, to my memory, pulled off a great save.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:08 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum