{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The Squad.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

The Squad.

Postby Showaddywaddy » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:27 am

This is without doubt the best squad I’ve ever seen us assemble and by some considerable distance. It is definitely the culmination of a three plus year project and we are now reaping the rewards of all that hard work.

When you looked at the bench yesterday it was full of players that would walk into any League Two side and a lot of League One sides and it’s been like that for weeks now. I think the most staggering thing is those players that aren’t even making the eighteen at the moment due to injury. To have players like Kilgour, Hewitt, MacDonald, Johnson and Oates missing and still be looking this strong is just a strength in depth that I never thought I’d witness.

If we do go up and I am convinced we will I don’t know what areas we have to look at improving and what calibre of player we will be looking at. I certainly don’t envisage a one season wonder in the third tier, which is all we’ve managed since I saw us survive in 88/89 and 89/90. After that the two occasions we’ve gone back up we’ve dropped straight back down.

It feels like now is the time to drink it in and enjoy every moment because this could well be the beginning of a period of time that Stags fans look back on for years to come.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Re: The Squad.

Postby Scothie the Stag » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:44 am

Spot on.

I had be thinking since post full-time yesterday, that if we go up we will obviously want to sign 4 or 5 bodies to strengthen further. Given the limit on players that we can register to the squad, one thing I know is who we release/sell in order to accommodate them? As Clough and co keep saying, there isn't too much disparity in quality between the whole squad.
Scothie the Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Bradders » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:03 pm

Agreed. If we'd been told that those five key players would all be missing in February, then a playoff position by now would appear to be an excellent achievement. Top of the league would require a miracle. I thought that the season was over when Kilgour was injured.

It's way too early to talk about replacing players to improve squad quality for a League One campaign, but certainly it isn't going to be easy to predict who'll be deemed not good enough. If any of yesterday's squad is going to be let go, it will be down to age rather than ability.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:14 pm

If we do get promoted or should i say when we get promoted even if not this year the club has made a giant leap forward.
Stability has proved to be the key to success and fans shouting for change were going down the wrong road.
Clough and his ability to manage the players from Academy to the first team whilst looking after the budget is well known as David Sharpe pointed out.
And the Radfords have shown faith in the appointment .
Mansfield have no fear of League 1 but Championship, well we have a lot of infrastructure problems to deal with.
39 points to play and having a good season, Once more i agree Clough has built a good squad
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:07 pm

1976/77 squad wasn’t bad , not forgetting Deardens babes of nearly all home grown talent, have to say i put them above todays Galácticos, however it’s building very nicely atm

let’s just take it one game at a time, as we all know we’ve won nowt yet duck
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Scothie the Stag » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:20 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:1976/77 squad wasn’t bad , not forgetting Deardens babes of nearly all home grown talent, have to say i put them above todays Galácticos, however it’s building very nicely atm

As a starting 11, probably. As a squad, absolutely not. After 15 players or so, the 01/02 squad was a little lacking.
Scothie the Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:58 pm

It is a very strong squad. Squad rules are the same (22 outfield players over a certain age) in league 1.

I did research a provisional retained list here. which I will quote below.

gazza1988 wrote:That looks a mess so I'll do a provisional retained list for easy reading?

Under contract next season
Aden Flint
Elliott Hewitt
Christy Pym
Baily Cargill
Hiram Boateng
Davis Keillor Dunn
Calum MacDonald
Alfie Kilgour
Aaron Lewis
Will Swan
Tom Nichols (forgot to add him above he signed a 18 month deal until the end of next season)
Louis Reed (signed 18 month deal on 28/02/2024)

Options could be exercised or new deal could be negotiated or just released on a free
George Williams
George Maris
Callum Johnson
James Gale
George Cooper

Contracts expiring - could be released, renegotiated or may even have an option not disclosed in press releases(or I didn't read it properly - I did only skim the official website after a while)
Stephen Quinn
Scott Flinders
Lucas Akins
Stephen McLaughlin
Jordan Bowery
Ollie Clarke
Rhys Oates (likely get a 1 year deal to recuperate)
Anthony Hartigan

Loan deals expiring
Lewis Brunt

Have I missed anybody?

If we are to sign 4-5 players who would be the 4-5 to go out?

EDIT: updated to reflect Reed's new contract
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:42 pm

No disrespect to George Cooper, but if we get to L1 his required inclusion in the squad list is a real wasted spot, given he has barely played in L2.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:49 pm

I think
Cooper, Hartigan, Flinders, Stephen McLaughlin, Quinn will all go.

Bowery may well go, a bit older, been a while since he played in league 1.

Boateng will be sold
Calum Macdonald may be retained as backup pending inclusion of a new left back.

I think We'll look to get some money for Maris also.

Clarke is the one I am not so sure about. I like him a lot, I just feel he may be the surprise person to move on.

keeps the core squed, but we need some replacements of a slightly younger demographic. We'd need a replacement / additional to challange Akins also.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:30 pm

I'd like to think we'll give Quinn the choice of staying another year if we're in L1.

He's had fewer games this season and has been in great form. Manage him well and he can definitely contribute at that level - and we'll need creative players like him there.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFC Man » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:59 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:I think
Cooper, Hartigan, Flinders, Stephen McLaughlin, Quinn will all go.

Bowery may well go, a bit older, been a while since he played in league 1.

Boateng will be sold
Calum Macdonald may be retained as backup pending inclusion of a new left back.

I think We'll look to get some money for Maris also.

Clarke is the one I am not so sure about. I like him a lot, I just feel he may be the surprise person to move on.

keeps the core squed, but we need some replacements of a slightly younger demographic. We'd need a replacement / additional to challange Akins also.

I think if Flinders wants to stay he is a more than capable back up and would stay, Quinn maybe the same but depends how the rest of the season goes fitness wise. Would be disappointing to see McLaughlin go but can’t see him reaching the levels he did 2 years ago and with his injury record would be an understandable decision. Would like to see Clarke and Maris both stay but we have to get promoted first before we really start discussing it, whatever Clough does I’ll trust it’ll be the right thing for the club.
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Spiritater » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:04 am

yorkshire stag wrote:1976/77 squad wasn’t bad not forgetting Deardens babes of nearly all home grown talent, have to say i put them above todays Galácticos, however it’s building very nicely atm

Sorry mate not a chance. Many were talented and went on to have good careers, but fact is they had not the experience and nous the present team have at the time. That's why they received some proper tonkings during that season and lost 13 or 14 games in total. Back in 01/ 02 we lost 6 games from now till the end of the season... that will not happen this time. Today's team would boss the Dearden team, quite literally 'men against boys'.

I hve said previously on here I can't see us losing more than six, if we do I'd be very surprised.
This team is up there with the mid 70s teams.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:01 am

Spiritater wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:1976/77 squad wasn’t bad not forgetting Deardens babes of nearly all home grown talent, have to say i put them above todays Galácticos, however it’s building very nicely atm

Sorry mate not a chance. Many were talented and went on to have good careers, but fact is they had not the experience and nous the present team have at the time. That's why they received some proper tonkings during that season and lost 13 or 14 games in total. Back in 01/ 02 we lost 6 games from now till the end of the season... that will not happen this time. Today's team would boss the Dearden team, quite literally 'men against boys'.

I hve said previously on here I can't see us losing more than six, if we do I'd be very surprised.

I didn't see the 70s teams, but in my 33 years as a Stag, this is comfortably the best side I've seen, in terms of being a complete side/squad. The 01 team had a certain flair and wow factor, but they weren't as good as these.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:28 am

ParisStag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

I didn't see the 70s teams, but in my 33 years as a Stag, this is comfortably the best side I've seen, in terms of being a complete side/squad. The 01 team had a certain flair and wow factor, but they weren't as good as these.

That’s exactly how I look at it Paris. This version is a more refined, polished and consistent squad than 01/02. However, and this might sound daft but the 01/02 side is still my favourite and probably always will be, because of that wow factor you mention. Not being in anyone’s thoughts for promotion at the start of the season and then watching our own young lads steam roller sides with a combination of unrelenting energy and scintillating football. Sir Bobby overlapping Lawrence on the right, Cordeniho turning defenders inside out and scoring worldies on the left, Dis and Leroy bossing the middle of the park, Greenacre just lethal, sir Les as the grandad of the team holding it all together, Ned Kelly and Scott Sellars add g experience and class. The Hull, Luton and Huddersfield home games remain some of the best performances I’ve even seen.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:50 am

When trying to analyse the two teams, I think I would agree that the current squad has much more talent in depth. However, from an entertainment point of view, I think Dearden’s team was better. If full squads were available it would be very hard to predict a winner but the current lot would probably be less likely to concede a goal. That said I have to acknowledge that the quick wing play from the earlier team would probably be the most effective style of play to unlock the current defence.

I would also point out the length of time taken to build the two squads with Billy winning hands down on that count not mentioning the amount of resources given to the two managers. We also have to acknowledge that Billy left us part way through the season when his team were absolutely flying. Had he stayed I think they would have gone up as champions or very close to it instead of limping over the line.

My other consideration would have to be the levels that the players achieved after leaving us. There is no doubt that many of Dearden’s players had their best days after leaving our club. I’m not so sure that will be the case with the current team apart from a very few exceptions so overall my vote would marginally go to Billy’s team.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:59 pm

I've said this before, and it's worth a debate.

With this squad being undoubtedly our best....is it also on the flip side, our slowest?

There's only Oates and Swan with any proper pace really, and for me Oates has lost a bit since his injuries too.

I can always remember us having pacey players even when we've been terrible - definitely more than two anyway (mostly speedboats without drivers mind you).

Just goes to show a bit of nous can counteract the need to play on the break.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:12 pm

stagmanrob wrote:I've said this before, and it's worth a debate.

With this squad being undoubtedly our best....is it also on the flip side, our slowest?

There's only Oates and Swan with any proper pace really, and for me Oates has lost a bit since his injuries too.

I can always remember us having pacey players even when we've been terrible - definitely more than two anyway (mostly speedboats without drivers mind you).

The way we play the ball does all the running. :D
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:31 pm

Sneag wrote:

The way we play the ball does all the running. :D

I agree. I think it also applies with our defensive side of the game as well. "First 5 yards are in your head" as the saying goes. We defend in such a way that it limits the space in dangerous areas or resorts them to going long and giving up possession.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:45 pm

It's not our best squad, not even close yet.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:56 pm

Rob wrote:

I can't remember a time when we had 18 players that could be switched around without weakening the first 11.

The squads of 74/75 & 76/77 achieved more (so far) but we only had squads of 13 players back then :D
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:29 pm

Sneag wrote:
Rob wrote:

I can't remember a time when we had 18 players that could be switched around without weakening the first 11.

The squads of 74/75 & 76/77 achieved more (so far) but we only had squads of 13 players back then :D

Exactly. We've had better XI's for sure. But we are top of the league, having lost only four games, with at times nine players out injured. A large chunk of which are long-term absentees, and two are former players of the season.
Definitely our best squad.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:36 pm

Definitely not our best squad :lol: . Yes the 76/77 squad was smaller, all squads were back then, but it won the League 1 title. This squad, good as it is, has won nothing.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:29 am

You have to say that the squad in itself is really strong and when you looked at the bench on Saturday, notwithstanding theose unavailable due to injury, it was breathtaking and you shouldn't really have any qualms about the team being weakened by any of those being brought on.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:42 am

What this squad is missing is a pacy winger. I can’t believe no one has ever mentioned it before! :D
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:47 am

Dan wrote:What this squad is missing is a pacy winger. I can’t believe no one has ever mentioned it before! :D

And a 20 goal a season striker
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum