{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Lucas Akins Chant

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Lucas Akins Chant

Postby Sue » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:00 am

Both are totally unacceptable
Sue
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:51 am

jpstags wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:He's needs another chant creating which drowns it out

Ignoring the root cause, while distracting with something else is never the solution.

It needs the club to take a firm stance and put out a statement to those fans singing it, that they'll be banned if they continue. Either we're a club that takes an anti-racist stance or we aren't.

So you’re happy to ban our fans for singing this song and yet you didn’t have a problem with the Ntts Vounty players obscene gesturing ?

Do you not have a problem with the song?
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Pitkin » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:17 pm

I've never heard any clubs fans sing anything like it in all my time as a supporter. Its the most gross, offensive, shameful filth I've ever heard, and it shames our town.

Seriously its got to be stopped for at least 3 reasons. Race, its depiction of a woman being murdered, and the damage its doing to kids...but you know what......NOTHING will be done about it....zilch.
I bet Lucas would love a song created for him, look at the DKD tune, its brilliant, but this........heaven help us.
Pitkin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby london amber stag » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:33 pm

That song is offensive and Lucas must cringe when he hears it. We are having a wonderful season and the powers that be need to make a statement about it. Most decent folk baulk at those lyrics.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:59 pm

jpstags wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

Ignoring the root cause, while distracting with something else is never the solution.

It needs the club to take a firm stance and put out a statement to those fans singing it, that they'll be banned if they continue. Either we're a club that takes an anti-racist stance or we aren't.

So you’re happy to ban our fans for singing this song and yet you didn’t have a problem with the Ntts Vounty players obscene gesturing ?

I'm happy for them to be banned if they continue to be racist after fair warning to stop, not that I expect the club to do anything, unfortunately. Some clubs take a zero tolerance approach and would ban them before even warning them formally. I'm not advocating that, as they're kids and need an example setting. It's down to the club to do that, as clearly this is a case of dereliction of duty on the part of the parents.

Re. Jodi Jones, I haven't said I'm ok with it, have I?
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:03 pm

Even though he shouldn't have too I think Lucas himself coning out and saying that he appreciates the support but not the racist tones in the song.
A bit like Lukaku did at United...

Anyone who continues to sing it then can be reprimanded accordingly...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby jpstags » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:28 pm

ParisStag wrote:
jpstags wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

I'm happy for them to be banned if they continue to be racist after fair warning to stop, not that I expect the club to do anything, unfortunately. Some clubs take a zero tolerance approach and would ban them before even warning them formally. I'm not advocating that, as they're kids and need an example setting. It's down to the club to do that, as clearly this is a case of dereliction of duty on the part of the parents.

Yes, you said ‘he abused the fans the fans abused him, happens all the time move on’. Double standards ?
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:34 pm

it was a HUGH moment in my life when i won the Knobbly Knees Competition :oops: Judges where right impressed :silent:

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:03 pm

So four other than some attempted whataboutery they doesn't seem to be anyone able to reasonably give a, reason why the song should be sung.
Martin's link to the Athletic article seems to have been missed some though
https://www.stagsnet.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42474#p1030808
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:40 am

The drummer needs telling NOT to start off the song in the first place as that’s when all the other morons follow suit. I’m amazed none have been arrested yet when you can see the police are filming them. It’s at least a section 5 public order offence bordering on aggravated racism.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:53 am

jpstags wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
jpstags wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

Yes, you said ‘he abused the fans the fans abused him, happens all the time move on’. Double standards ?

That's not me saying either is OK though is it. It's me saying there was abuse both ways. The context of that one sentence you've taken was that you can't complain if you're also abusing, not that it's OK.

You've had the opportunity to go back and reread it before quoting me in a post and yet still managed to not grasp a pretty simple concept.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:11 am

jpstags wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
jpstags wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

It's not double standards. For it to be double standards Lucas Akins would have to be racially abusing the fans as well, surely? Has he? Doesn't seem in his nature to me.

It is a bit juvenile though with the "well they started it" so I did it too" mentality. Like it's ok if others do it.

ParisStag, I think what jpstags is trying to say is IF (big if) Akins had racially abused the crowd would you have said "he racially abused the fans the fans racially abused him, happens all the time move on"? I know you wouldn't, but it can come across as certain forms of abuse are ok, so long as I'm not affected by it. Which I appreciate is a view many people of all colours and creed have been guilty of in the past.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Pitkin » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:28 am

Let's be honest here, as a nation racist/hate abuse in many forms has increased dramatically in the last 8 years or so, regardless of what people think about the B word, and in particular the rhetoric of the Govt in power and indeed the venom directed towards foreign, trans people by one local MP, one who claims to be a Stags fan, judging his wearing of a Mansfield scarf at Notts County.
BUT.... and before this post is moved off here, and its important this subject is kept on here......we can only deal with racist, misogynistic behaviour where we find it.....so, here it is, on our 'front porch', a kid banging a drum, and starting off a vile song about Race, a crime against women, and gleefully and in complete ignorance, joined in by young kids, many with their parents with them......
It's got to stop....the drummer has to be told, signs put up, police informed, anything to stop it, because we aren't at the thin end of a wedge here, we are encouraging young people to add to the thickness of it...and it gets thicker and thicker every day.
Listening to Alan Wilson droning on about racism in his prepared speech before the game about racist behaviour is frankly embarrassing.
Pitkin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby BigGuy » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:59 am

Boring political point scoring, I came on this forum to read about football related matters.

The ‘B’ word you are looking for is Bore off!
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:00 am

Then you are part of the problem not the solution for our club

For clarification, we have a racist song being sung about one of our own players. Anyone defending that, inserting whataboutery into the debate or telling those objecting to bore off is either in denial, pig raspberries thick or a racist.
People can make their choice of which of the three it is.
Last edited by georgefostersbeard on Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:02 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:Then you are part of the problem not the solution for our club

I’m the problem because I don’t want to read politics on a football forum, I can get bored looking at the politics section on here.

That’s a new one that, good effort.
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:09 am

Read my clarification above and choose which one you are then
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:14 am

Here you go again, labelling people on a point I made no reference to.

For clarification the chant is disgusting and needs to be stopped and those thinking it acceptable slapped and re-educated.

What I don’t want to read however on a football forum is politics, which clearly the above references.

Clear enough for you ?
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:45 am

Clear but defending one of our own from racist chanting is football related not politics.

Clear enough for you?
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Pitkin » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:50 am

BigGuy wrote:Here you go again, labelling people on a point I made no reference to.

For clarification the chant is disgusting and needs to be stopped and those thinking it acceptable slapped and re-educated.

What I don’t want to read however on a football forum is politics, which clearly the above references.

Clear enough for you ?

I'm not trying to political points score, this behaviour has always happened from the days of Love thy Neighbour and before, however if these issues aren't addressed by the people in power on a local and national level, and by local I mean our football club and MPs then we're stuffed....I merely made the point that this racist trend has increased dramatically in the last 5-8 years,and we have to stamp it out wherever we see it.
I hope that's clear enough for you, I'm really not looking or going to fall out with you about it, and I'm glad you share the same opinion about the songs context.
It needs being front and centre, not just a casual announcement before a game, which few listen to, especially the ones who should be listening.
Pitkin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby HitchcocksShins » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:21 am

Can someone help clarify what the B word actually is?
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:29 am

HitchcocksShins wrote:Can someone help clarify what the B word actually is?

Beermen
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:30 am

Can someone come up with an inoffensive translation of the chant?
I don't even know which song it is.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:19 pm

zod wrote:Can someone come up with an inoffensive translation of the chant?

Same here, no idea which song people are talking about.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby SeanieStag » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:29 pm

part time pete wrote:
zod wrote:Can someone come up with an inoffensive translation of the chant?

Same here, no idea which song people are talking about.

Me three. I've been reading this thread and I'm still none the wiser.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum