{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Walsall scorefred sponsored by Stirk it to 'em

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Walsall scorefred sponsored by Stirk it to 'em

Postby Dave Wayne » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:42 pm

Rob wrote:Akins game is about more than just goals. It's pathetic that every time we lose, no matter what actually happened in the match, Akins and Bowery are ALWAYS singled out by the same few. Neither were our worst players yesterday and Akins actually had a very good 1st half when but for poor finishing we should have been well ahead.

Akins is crucial to how we play, especially away from home. His strength is a major factor in the way we build attacks as he holds the ball up and allows other players to get forward.
Sadly, to so many people on here, unless a forward player scores 20 goals a season he isn't a good striker.
He makes mistakes as all players do. If he didn't he wouldn't be playing in league 2. I admit he didn't have the greatest beginning at Mansfield, but people still look back at that period when judging his performances now.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:46 pm

Costastag wrote:
Rob wrote:Akins game is about more than just goals. It's pathetic that every time we lose, no matter what actually happened in the match, Akins and Bowery are ALWAYS singled out by the same few. Neither were our worst players yesterday and Akins actually had a very good 1st half when but for poor finishing we should have been well ahead.

Rob i havent said one detrimental thing about akins ,all i have said is i think we would be better with swann and nichol up top is that too hard for some to accept

You said we don't play 2 up top, despite the fact that we have done in the last 5 games. When I pointed this out, and that 1 of those 2 had been Akins on 4 occasions, you said "Akins up top is like playing with one up top". How is that not detrimental ?
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:49 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
Costastag wrote:

Rob i havent said one detrimental thing about akins ,all i have said is i think we would be better with swann and nichol up top is that too hard for some to accept

You said we don't play 2 up top, despite the fact that we have done in the last 5 games. When I pointed this out, and that 1 of those 2 had been Akins on 4 occasions, you said "Akins up top is like playing with one up top". How is that not detrimental ?

Simple akins is or never has been a goalscorer ,you conveniently fail to mention my comment about his attributes about being a good hold up player but that doesnt suit your narrative does it
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby 88BenM » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:50 pm

You've got to take the rough with the smooth, the reaction of some of our fans makes me wonder just how long they have been following MTFC?

If you are new this season, then welcome aboard. This is what it is like, we do not do things the easy way and we probably never will.

Yesterday we just didn't quite have that clinical edge. We had more than enough chances to win the game and we simply didn't take them. Sometimes those days happen and they are frustrating. Fair play to Walsall, they looked dangerous going forwards and put plenty of crosses into our 6 yard box and managed to finish 2 of them.

A few of our most reliable lads really weren't at it at all yesterday. I thought Jordan really struggled and Lucas, despite having a great couple of weeks, didn't have a very good game. We've got Saturday back on home turf to put it right. Nothing is won or lost in February and we are still in a commanding position.
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:59 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:

Akins is crucial to how we play, especially away from home. His strength is a major factor in the way we build attacks as he holds the ball up and allows other players to get forward.
Sadly, to so many people on here, unless a forward player scores 20 goals a season he isn't a good striker.
He makes mistakes as all players do. If he didn't he wouldn't be playing in league 2. I admit he didn't have the greatest beginning at Mansfield, but people still look back at that period when judging his performances now.

He played well in the first half, but not so well in the second. He should have been replaced as he looked tired and wasn’t holding the ball up as he had done in the first half. When we needed a goal I didn’t see the logic in taking Swan off and leaving him on.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:05 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:

He played well in the first half, but not so well in the second. He should have been replaced as he looked tired and wasn’t holding the ball up as he had done in the first half. When we needed a goal I didn’t see the logic in taking Swan off and leaving him on.

Some people cant accept that lucas wont score many goals but its not his game
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:12 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:

I thought he was right to take Swan off, his overall game was decent enough, his finishing was abysmal. Clough clearly felt he'd had enough chances and wanted someone else on the end of them. I think had those sitters Swan missed fallen to DKD he'd probably have scored 2 of them. Costa would have combusted had Akins missed the chances Swan did :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:20 pm

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:

I thought he was right to take Swan off, his overall game was decent enough, his finishing was abysmal. Clough clearly felt he'd had enough chances and wanted someone else on the end of them. I think had those sitters Swan missed fallen to DKD he'd probably have scored 2 of them. Costa would have combusted had Akins missed the chances Swan did :lol:

Swans chances were those of a finisher ,yep he missed i havent got any issue with akins but hes not as good as swan or nichol imo not to hard is it
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:20 pm

Swan was the best player on the pitch Rob and only one who looked like scoring. Granted he needs to at least test the keeper but he got into those positions in the first place.

Swan going off showed yesterday. We lost his pressing edge when he went off ans it totally slowed our forward play. He capitalised on and cuased quite a few mistakes in the walsall defence yesterday
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:38 pm

Capitalising would mean scoring wouldn't it ?
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:41 pm

Costastag wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
Costastag wrote:

Simple akins is or never has been a goalscorer ,you conveniently fail to mention my comment about his attributes about being a good hold up player but that doesnt suit your narrative does it

No narrative here, just defending against your narrative.
Akins is not a poacher, we both agree on that, but he is very important to the way we play, and 9 goals in 30 games this season is not what I would call 'not a goalscorer'.
You are wanting to play Nichols and Swan with DKD in behind, so where does the hold up man Akins fit in to your team ?
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:42 pm

I agree that they often get unfairly singled out, but Bowery was definitely our worst player yesterday. Had a stinker. Akins was also at fault for a goal, although I thought he played very well first half.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:48 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
Costastag wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
Costastag wrote:

Akins is not a poacher, we both agree on that, but he is very important to the way we play, and 9 goals in 30 games this season is not what I would call 'not a goalscorer'.
You are wanting to play Nichols and Swan with DKD in behind, so where does the hold up man Akins fit in to your team ?

Simple he doesnt thats why i said it may mean changing our formation we go with 442
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:50 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:Swan was the best player on the pitch Rob and only one who looked like scoring. Granted he needs to at least test the keeper but he got into those positions in the first place.

Swan going off showed yesterday. We lost his pressing edge when he went off ans it totally slowed our forward play. He capitalised on and cuased quite a few mistakes in the walsall defence yesterday

I like Swan and agreed with Clough bringing him back, but how can he possibly be the best player on the pitch when he missed 3 one on one's, twice not even hitting the target? He had other good chances too, he should have converted some of them, that's his job. Yes his overall game was good, but his finishing was dire and it cost us.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:53 pm

Lucas Akins has a good 1st half yesterday. I didn't think he was as good in the 2nd half but he was involved in the build up to our goal and nearly scored at the end.

I would have kept Will Swan on because he was having a good game and I thought he's bound to stick one away sooner or later. He's like a new signing. It was only his 20th league start for the Stags yesterday and he has scored 15 goals. He's made 32 sub appearances.

Will Swan has started 8 league games this season. W3 D3 L2. 5 goals with 3 goals as a sub from 16 sub appearances . He secured us a point against Tranmere Rovers.

Last season he started 12 league games. W4 D0 L8. 10 goals with 6 goals as a sub from 16 sub appearances. He won us the game off the bench against Crewe and Walsall.

6 league goals from 20 starts. W7 D3 L10
9 league goals from 32 sub appearances.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:05 pm

After he missed his 5th great chance I lost faith that he was "bound to get one in a minute" Darren, as clearly did the manager.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:11 pm

Rob wrote:After he missed his 5th great chance I lost faith that he was "bound to get one in a minute" Darren, as clearly did the manager.

Nobody else was gonna get them though ,hes the future for us
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Suttonian » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:28 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
Costastag wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
Costastag wrote:

Right back where he usually plays well or right wing when Clarke had to come off. Can't fault his effort & commitment but he's not a very good hold up man playing with his back to goal in my opinion
Suttonian
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:34 pm

It's good to see a rejuvenated Will Swan. Many fans wanted to send him out on loan last month. He does give us that option of getting in behind opposition defences in the absence of Rhys Oates. It would be nice if he could get into double figures by the end of the season.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:45 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:It's good to see a rejuvenated Will Swan. Many fans wanted to send him out on loan last month. He does give us that option of getting in behind opposition defences in the absence of Rhys Oates. It would be nice if he could get into double figures by the end of the season.

I see you're ignoring the point about missed chances Darren ;) What did you say on comms after he twice missed the goal when through one on one?

He definitely looks rejuvenated, I hope yesterday was just a blip in front of goal.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:46 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
Amber Andy wrote: I find it incredulous that you think it is somehow unreasonable that I and others think that Boateng should have started yesterday after his performance on Tuesday. Probably the best performance of any Mansfield player this season. You say due to lack of stamina. Well if that is the case, why didn’t NC substitute Boateng on Tuesday night on 50 minutes after he had scored his hat trick and the game won ? Surely the form he was in warranted starting the next game. Others such as Flint and Quinn were substituted and started yesterday.

I can only guess why he did that because I was of the opinion that Boateng would be knackered after an hour, and he was.

Boateng had got his hattrick. By this point, we had already brought on Maris for Reed at half time (also Nichols for Swan). He needs to sub Quinn nearly every game so he came off for Lewis in the 62nd minute along with Macca for Flint who, bar Pym, has the highest amount of minutes and has a recent shoulder injury that he didn't need to risk potentially aggravating. we were 7-2 ahead at this point. We had one more sub we could make and Williams and Clarke on the bench (doubt Pym would randomly be subbed) he took off DKD who also has a high amount of minutes for Williams that sent Bowery up front.

Nigel said post match he already had a Harrogate XI and Walsall XI, his only regret was not sticking to whatever the Walsall XI was which included a start for Williams. So he kept Boateng on just because he knew he wasn't starting against Walsall.

So that meant he could keep Boateng on in a game we were out of sight of already knowing he was being dropped to the bench regardless of what he did and potentially return this Saturday.

We lost, so now hopefully this Saturday we can see some changes

Thsnks Gazza. Saved me the trouble !!
So no matter how well someone does in a game, if NC has already decded who is going to start in the next two games he hasn't got a chance of playing (injuries accepted). You think that is the right thing to do ?

Yes he got booked after 15 minutes or so. Nigel isn't going to hook someone that early. Likely subbed off at half time. He then scores 2 goals and on a hattrick at half time so nigel keeps him on. Boateng was going to be dropped anyway regardless. He gets sent off then we have Clarke, Lewis and McLaughlin on the bench who played midfield before.

It's unfair but he's played so little minutes that he can't do well over 90 minutes on a Tuesday night on a heavy pitch and then same again Saturday.

Fun facts. Boateng has 469 total minutes this season over 20 appearances. Average of 23 minutes per appearance. He's also only made 2 starts, totalling 161 minutes which is 34% of his total minutes alone. Before Harrogate he played 35 minutes since his last appearance last year, an 89th minute sub vs Swindon on 25th November. Total his 2 appearances he's equalled the amount of minutes he played in total since the end of October.

Sorry but he needs more minutes and probably isn't match fit enough for full 90s.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:56 pm

It’s frustrating that this is another game we should’ve won, but it’s got away from us. Looking at the table, we’re still in an excellent position, however we’ve got some extremely difficult fixtures coming up. Looking at our closest rivals, they’ve all got tough fixtures too. It’s going to be bloody close, but we must put those chances away and hope for better officiating decisions. We were robbed again yesterday.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:16 pm

Rob wrote:After he missed his 5th great chance I lost faith that he was "bound to get one in a minute" Darren, as clearly did the manager.

What are the 5 missed chances?

1 was just wide of the left post, 1 was wide of the right post and his 3rd was on target. Shot past the keeper who did his job with good reactions and got a foot to it.

What are the other 2 shots?

He has the 3rd highest goal conversion in our side (24%). 2nd is Callum Johnson with 33%, and 1st is Nichols with 67% 2 goals from 3 shots in 4 appearances, it should level out as we get nearer the end of the season both Nichols and Johnson have 3 shots each, Johnson scored 1.

Shot accuracy. He is again behind Nichols and Johnson. 100% of Nichol's shots have been on target and 67% of Johnsons. Swan has an accuracy of 60%

Goals per minute. He's behind Nichols and DKD. Again Nichols is because he's not played many games - Nichols is on 70 minutes per goal. I believe we can agree keeping up that goalscoring form is unlikely, but would be welcome :D. DKD is on a goal every 178 mins and Swan is 1 goal every 193 minutes. Closest is Boateng at 212 mins per goal but is skewered somewhat by his hattrick (not taking anything away from him though). Next is Oates at 225mins/goal then Akins at 238mins/goal, Maris is 291mins/goal. After this it's player over 500 mins/goal.

So yeah his stats are good, he's not going to score every game. He came very close to scoring yesterday, just a keepers leg away. His stats above point to one more chance and he could have scored it considering his rate is a slight touch over 1 in 4 shots are goals.

Taken from - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/te ... op-scorers
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:22 pm

Blinkered view oh dear
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:23 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:It's good to see a rejuvenated Will Swan. Many fans wanted to send him out on loan last month. He does give us that option of getting in behind opposition defences in the absence of Rhys Oates. It would be nice if he could get into double figures by the end of the season.

I'm not sure many wanted him out on loan, maybe the odd one perhaps. I felt he'd have a decent run in, and he has so far. Was lively yesterday. I wish we'd seen him Nichols and DKD on together.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum