{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The defence

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The defense

Postby yorkstag » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:15 am

Spiritater wrote:As someone has alluded above Flint is just the best thing to have happened to us defensively for decades. He is an absolute collosus of a defender and watching him warm up makes me feel so glad he plays for us.

Me too. There seems a real togetherness about the squad. Flint and Quinn seem heavily invested - just look at them when we score.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:17 am

yorkstag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:As someone has alluded above Flint is just the best thing to have happened to us defensively for decades. He is an absolute collosus of a defender and watching him warm up makes me feel so glad he plays for us.

Me too. There seems a real togetherness about the squad. Flint and Quinn seem heavily invested - just look at them when we score.

They love us & we love them
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Re: The defence

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:18 am

Brunt is a class act and the stick he gets on here always makes me smile...

Hes quick , great In the air , brilliant at one on defending and great on the ball , he's got it all for me.

Yes he makes the odd error but that's why we have him.

Bigger clubs loan their talented youngsters out so they can get experience, make their mistakes and learn from them at other clubs not theirs.

They then hopefully get back their talented youngster that has learnt a lot and then goes into their team or on loan again higher up the pyramid to gain more experience.

If he didn't make these mistakes he'd be in their first team and not with us...

That's generally how loans work isn't it ?
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby 88BenM » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:31 am

Captain Cunno wrote:Brunt is a class act and the stick he gets on here always makes me smile...

Hes quick , great In the air , brilliant at one on defending and great on the ball , he's got it all for me.

Yes he makes the odd error but that's why we have him.

Bigger clubs loan their talented youngsters out so they can get experience, make their mistakes and learn from them at other clubs not theirs.

They then hopefully get back their talented youngster that has learnt a lot and then goes into their team or on loan again higher up the pyramid to gain more experience.

If he didn't make these mistakes he'd be in their first team and not with us...

That's generally how loans work isn't it ?

This is bang on. He is a much better defender than he is a midfielder though and I would 100% put that down to having Flint at the side of him, guiding him through games. Brunt was a colossus against County and marked Langstaff out of the game, his best game in a Stags shirt by far.
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Ralphy » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:48 am

Captain Cunno wrote:
ST4GS wrote:
Ralphy wrote:Factor in Hewitt and Kilgour to come back as well and we have a hell of a squad for next season as well!!
Kilgour is brilliant but will be behind Flint. Dont think Flint and Kilgour will play together. Need big man and pace. Hewitt only gets in as a wing back. What great options.

Hewitt only gets in as a Wing back ?

don’t think it is a matter of who can and can’t play with Flint, it’s more that both would be great additions to the squad. Football more than ever is becoming a squad game rather than the same 11 playing every week. All players would have a part to play as we have seen with Williams in recent weeks
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Showaddywaddy » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:07 am

Flint is the best I’ve seen since big George. What makes our defensive record all the more remarkable is that the player that has most reminded me of Foster in the last 30 plus years is Alfie Kilgour such were his commanding performances and presence on the pitch.

I’ve been convinced from the start of this season that we are going straight up this time. Promotion seasons don’t come around very often at all and I think you just get a sense when you are witnessing one. This season very much has that feel to it.

The title race is well and truly on and the manager and players have a very real chance to write themselves into Mansfield Town folklore. I wouldn’t bet against us.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:56 am

Controversial opinion time.

Flint is incredible, absolutely sensational as a defender but gets away scot free with his sometimes very poor distribution.

He goes too long, too quickly, too often.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:03 pm

broomo wrote:Controversial opinion time.

Flint is incredible, absolutely sensational as a defender but gets away scot free with his sometimes very poor distribution.

He goes too long, too quickly, too often.

Maybe Broomo but the fact he’s so solid at his primary role more than compensates for that. At League Two level you expect the odd wayward pass from your centre half. What is so enjoyable to see is when he pings a cross field ball to one of the fullbacks pushing on or one of the front men having gone wide. He’s got us on the front foot so many times this season.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:17 pm

broomo wrote:Controversial opinion time. Flint is incredible, absolutely sensational as a defender but gets away scot free with his sometimes very poor distribution. He goes too long, too quickly, too often.

Believe me Craig, Aden Flint's distribution is brilliant compared to most other centre halfs we have had playing for the Stags. :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:34 pm

Distribution wise he has the cross field switch down perfectly, however over hits a lot of the straight “long balls”
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:35 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
broomo wrote:Controversial opinion time. Flint is incredible, absolutely sensational as a defender but gets away scot free with his sometimes very poor distribution. He goes too long, too quickly, too often.

Believe me Craig, Aden Flint's distribution is brilliant compared to most other centre halfs we have had playing for the Stags. :lol:

I can well remember David Linighans 45 yard passes slicing into the West Stand. As you say Flint is far from the worst we've had but he does give it away a lot, as he did yesterday. Nevertheless, as you've said, he's the best CB we've had since George, we'd be mid table League 1 now if we'd had him last season.

Shame the bus cut our chat short yesterday!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:47 pm

Flint plays plenty of short balls but sometimes you just have to lump it, niggly this one broomo.
Putting building blocks for a sustainable future takes time and we are now seeing progress. our defence has evolved since 2020 into present day
A good back 5 is important but defending starts with the forwards, and attack starts with the defence, and both are glued with a solid midfield.
Wow i have just described a team game
.David Sharpe said we have to be in a better place than we were in 2020, and as a club we have achieved that,
The Academy seems to have taken vast strides and it all starts with a solid foundation.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby SelstonStag88 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:13 pm

Hon Sec wrote:Nobody’s mentioned Johnson.

He's one of them who goes massively under appreciated, there is always one in every team. When he's fit and on it he is a level above L2, like quite a few are
SelstonStag88
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby smulls » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:31 pm

yorkstag wrote:
ParisStag wrote:I think next year, if in League One, we'll need more of a ball-playing CB who can step up with it. Not sure Kilgour is that player, but it will be difficult to not involve him, given his many attributes. Flint and Brunt again if we can get him.

I think Brunt is a classy defender. Yes he makes mistakes but his overall contribution has been massively positive.

I think Kilgour is a better defender than Brunt who will be back to Leicester anyway. They may have put a ridiculous price on Brunt that we cannot afford that.
smulls
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:50 pm

My understanding is that, currently, Leicester are happy to be patient with Brunt as they have had him for around a year and converted him from a midfielder. He has clearly learned so much from playing alongside Flint and as part of this setup. He has improved so much and, bluntly, if he learn to get rid of the ball when under real pressure we will have done Leicester a great service whilst benefitting from his time with us
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:36 pm

Brunt will go on to play at Championship level within the next 3 years.

Would be lovely to dream that could be with us.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:44 pm

We go up Leicester will likely allow us to loan him again. Especially with them likely to be promoted back to the premier league.

Otherwise, like Walker with Forest, they will want him at league 1.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:03 pm

broomo wrote:Brunt will go on to play at Championship level within the next 3 years.

Would be lovely to dream that could be with us.

Agree on both fronts
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:22 pm

Can't understand why bowery played left back.cargill and McLaughlin better there.bowery doesn't do much wrong but he doesn't get any crosses in.plays the easy ball too much.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:25 pm

Cargill was ill and I suspect they are being protective of MacLaughlin with such an important run in.
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:30 pm

Rob wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:

I can well remember David Linighans 45 yard passes slicing into the West Stand. As you say Flint is far from the worst we've had but he does give it away a lot, as he did yesterday. Nevertheless, as you've said, he's the best CB we've had since George, we'd be mid table League 1 now if we'd had him last season.

Shame the bus cut our chat short yesterday!

The important point about Flint's long passes is that if they go astray then the ball has still been cleared from the danger area. A good option at this level is to use the percentages like that rather than trying to be clever. We've had too many defenders who've tried clever passing, but their team mates aren't international standard and aren't anticipating the unexpected.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:34 pm

geoffhill wrote:Can't understand why bowery played left back.cargill and McLaughlin better there.bowery doesn't do much wrong but he doesn't get any crosses in.plays the easy ball too much.

Cargill was Ill. probably coming down from it but seems to be a week or 2 to get over it. May not even be 100% Tuesday but I would guess that could go down to the wire.

McLaughlin is returning from injury. Needs to get up to match fitness so will be off the bench. Some forget he had to come on against AFC Wimbledon after Bowery was sent off and Flint got injured it was way before we perhaps would have liked to have introduced him and IMO he did look knackered towards the end.

So Bowery started.

Lewis played left back most of his career but because Nigel hasn't played him there yet apparently he can't play LB.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Redspirelite » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:45 pm

Flint without doubt is the stand out defender in the division, he is more than capable of playing next season
Redspirelite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:12 pm

geoffhill wrote:Can't understand why bowery played left back.cargill and McLaughlin better there.bowery doesn't do much wrong but he doesn't get any crosses in.plays the easy ball too much.

Answered your own question.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:46 pm

Dan wrote:

Answered your own question.

He was excellent again yesterday, especially second half where he covered one very dangerous moment superbly for the centre backs with the score at 1-0. He won't get praise from the usual suspects, but I think we are all used to that now :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum