{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report Notts County game

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report Notts County game

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:28 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby Bradders » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:48 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:https://stagsnet.net/match/reports/viewreport.php?matchid=1265

Great report. If the shortlist for MOTM is down to Williams and Flint, it's Flint for me. Although Brunt should get a mention, also Akins (as you pointed out).
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:01 pm

Cargill man of match for me.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:21 pm

Bradders wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:https://stagsnet.net/match/reports/viewreport.php?matchid=1265

Great report. If the shortlist for MOTM is down to Williams and Flint, it's Flint for me. Although Brunt should get a mention, also Akins (as you pointed out).

Brunt for me, he was exceptional. Williams had a good game but was caught out for pace a couple of times 1st half. Same for Cargill, was skinned a couple of times early on but overall, like Williams, had an excellent game.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:45 pm

Rob wrote:
Bradders wrote:

Brunt for me, he was exceptional. Williams had a good game but was caught out for pace a couple of times 1st half. Same for Cargill, was skinned a couple of times early on but overall, like Williams, had an excellent game.

Williams and Cargill were indeed caught out a couple of times early on, but found the solution quite quickly. A lesson in sophisticated defending.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:57 pm

Thanks for this Martin. As ever, a great read.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:21 pm

Brunt had an easier time than Williams and Cargill but was still brilliant.

Brunt did a good job on Langstaff but he does goes missing against anyone half decent in L2 and lacks any physical presence, I think he will be found out in higher divisions - I reckon they should sell in the summer.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:39 pm

I don't agree, he has stepped up all season and, to my mind, his issues have been over naive and silly mistakes which is slowly eradicating. He had been mentioned in the discussions for MotM a huge amount since October. He can be knocked off the ball but is learning to deal with that better the more he plays. He has already totally changed his technique for heading long balls since joining us which shows he can develop.
He has thrown himself in front of the ball blocking shots and is no shrinking violet.
Whether he is good enough for Leicester, I genuinely don't know but, to my mind, he is a step above Harbottle.
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:19 pm

I think Conker was talking about Langstaff. Must admit I thought the same as you at first :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:27 pm

Oh god - sorry Conker :lol:
So with Langstaff it will be interesting to see if he makes it in the league in a, slightly different set up. Perfect playing off a larger strike partner
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:01 am

Yeah was on about Langstaff - they pretty much played with ten men against us, he was a waste of time.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:56 am

I’ve also had my doubts about Langstaff being capable of stepping up a league or two. As mentioned he has little physical presence and is easily outmuscled. I suppose that may not be such a problem in higher leagues as the game isn’t as physical but centre halves will also be more mobile and be better readers of the game. Perhaps that’s why they haven’t had any serious large offers for him contrary to what you would expect for a striker with his conversion rate.

I suppose we won’t know until he moves or County are promoted.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:11 pm

He's a poacher. He's not going to create openings on his own. Put him in teams that create chances and he will score goals.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:19 pm

All the folk shouting for us to sign a 20 goal striker. County have a 30 goal man, but we stopped the ball getting to him and he wasn't prepared or able to get involved in the game. That's why Nigel doesn't play with a Langstaff, Cook or DJ type player. Each player has to pull their weight in a NC team.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:33 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I’ve also had my doubts about Langstaff being capable of stepping up a league or two. As mentioned he has little physical presence and is easily outmuscled. I suppose that may not be such a problem in higher leagues as the game isn’t as physical but centre halves will also be more mobile and be better readers of the game. Perhaps that’s why they haven’t had any serious large offers for him contrary to what you would expect for a striker with his conversion rate.

He's already moved up the leagues. There's no arguing with Langstaff's 20 goals and 5 assists this season; suggesting that his quiet spells against us are down to excellent defending rather than his substandard ability.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:45 pm

Bradders wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I’ve also had my doubts about Langstaff being capable of stepping up a league or two. As mentioned he has little physical presence and is easily outmuscled. I suppose that may not be such a problem in higher leagues as the game isn’t as physical but centre halves will also be more mobile and be better readers of the game. Perhaps that’s why they haven’t had any serious large offers for him contrary to what you would expect for a striker with his conversion rate.

He's already moved up the leagues. There's no arguing with Langstaff's 20 goals and 5 assists this season; suggesting that his quiet spells against us are down to excellent defending rather than his substandard ability.

Yes I agree with that but if he moves up the leagues again, our excellent defending will probably be the norm so what does he do then?. He is no doubt a very capable league 2 forward but l don’t think he will be anything special in league 1 and certainly not in the Championship. He was 27 years old the other day so hardly a promising young lad learning his trade. If he doesn’t move up this summer I personally don’t think he ever will with any huge success.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:20 pm

Why the different attendance to the Wrexham game which were both total sell outs. First 7k Home attendance since when ?
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:04 pm

ST4GS wrote:Why the different attendance to the Wrexham game which were both total sell outs. First 7k Home attendance since when ?

there were 55 more tickets sold for the Notts County game than the Wrexham game. That could have been something to do with a different number of disabled tickets, or carers, or such like. Also different matches might have different sterile areas or seats not sold for crowd management purposes. So a "sell out" for one match may not be the same number of seats sold as for another.

Whilst the total attendance is the number of tickets sold (and not the number actually inside the ground), the away attendance announced is the number passing through the turnstile. It is an unfortunate discrepancy (slightly irritating for a statistician like me!) which leads to difficulty when calculating the number of home fans. The home capacity is actually about 6950. The Notts County game wasn't a 7000 home attendance.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sneag » Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:42 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
ST4GS wrote:Why the different attendance to the Wrexham game which were both total sell outs. First 7k Home attendance since when ?

there were 55 more tickets sold for the Notts County game than the Wrexham game. That could have been something to do with a different number of disabled tickets, or carers, or such like. Also different matches might have different sterile areas or seats not sold for crowd management purposes. So a "sell out" for one match may not be the same number of seats sold as for another.

Whilst the total attendance is the number of tickets sold (and not the number actually inside the ground), the away attendance announced is the number passing through the turnstile. It is an unfortunate discrepancy (slightly irritating for a statistician like me!) which leads to difficulty when calculating the number of home fans. The home capacity is actually about 6950. The Notts County game wasn't a 7000 home attendance.

The first 7,000 + home crowd will be the night we clinch promotion against FGR in April. ;)
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:09 pm

Sneag wrote:The first 7,000 + home crowd will be the night we clinch promotion against FGR in April. ;)

could well be. Home capacity will be about 6950 + 577 in the North Stand
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:25 pm

my detailed report now on
https://stagsnet.net/match/reports/view ... tchid=1265
If you read the original report, you only need to read from DETAILED REPORT onwards.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby ST4GS » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:36 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

According to your report the total attendance = 8667 with an away following of 1659. Difference = 7008.
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby eggy » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:48 pm

ST4GS wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

According to your report the total attendance = 8667 with an away following of 1659. Difference = 7008.

Read the explanation that you've replied to again :D
eggy
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:31 pm

eggy wrote:
ST4GS wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

I understand the disparity between the calculation of home and away figures which is madness but if away fans figure is the actual number of away fans that attended then the difference must be home tickets sold which is in excess of 7000 so we sold more than our upper limit although probably 100 or so lower than this limit actually attended.
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:24 pm

ST4GS wrote:
eggy wrote:
ST4GS wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

I understand the disparity between the calculation of home and away figures which is madness but if away fans figure is the actual number of away fans that attended then the difference must be home tickets sold which is in excess of 7000 so we sold more than our upper limit although probably 100 or so lower than this limit actually attended.

the exact number of tickets sent to away clubs in the North Stand is 1689+10wheelchair+12accessible=1711. So what has happened is that 30 to 50 away fans with tickets have not turned up. Hence the actual home attendance was actually about 6960.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum