{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Sutton fred MATCH /RE-ARRANGED FOR TUES

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Sutton fred MATCH /RE-ARRANGED FOR TUES

Postby lifestags » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:42 am

I almost felt sorry for the team last night, its nothing to do with effort, they just look mentally fatigued and out of ideas, we are desperate for some new faces and fresh ideas in the team.

My real concern is the lack of options players have on the ball and when the strikers do get it, they constantly seem to be having to fight off 3 defenders to get any real possession.

I get we are waiting for the ''right man'' to become available but while we are waiting, games and points are passing us by.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Slackythestag » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:44 am

A very frustrating night, why are we so slow out the traps?

It's becoming a regular occurance now, teams come here, we give them an early goal and they park the bus. They then slow the game down, con the referees with head injuries when we are on the attack and go down injured to release the pressure and stop any momentum. Thankfully we got a goal and didn't lose,, that was the only positive from last night.

The conditions were awful last night, but wind or no wind I still think we would of played exactly like that. We look out of ideas at times and lack any intelligence or to break them down when they have 11 men behind the ball. Our decision making from the midfielders is so frustrating.

Another terrible referee last night, completely lost control of the game after 28 minutes. The inconsistencies are horrendous. I would like to see the potential red card again.

Twice the Sutton players "clashed heads" and went down as if they had been knocked unconscious. There was no concern from any sutton players, they went over and got drinks... it was all staged to break up the momentum :lol:. This happened twice and the referee fell for it.

Minimum of a point required at Wimbledon.

:coys:
Slackythestag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Colchester Stag » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:04 am

lifestags wrote:I almost felt sorry for the team last night, its nothing to do with effort, they just look mentally fatigued .

They've had over a week off, and you come out with a comment like that?
Colchester Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby lifestags » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:06 am

Colchester Stag wrote:
lifestags wrote:I almost felt sorry for the team last night, its nothing to do with effort, they just look mentally fatigued .

They've had over a week off, and you come out with a comment like that?

I didn't say physically fatigued, mentally...its completely different and time off may not just fix it.

Numerous reason why we may look a bit drained mentally.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:12 am

The issue is clear. For all of our excellent build up play, we dont have the players getting into the box regularly enough. That is because Akins comes deep. When we have quicker players forward, DKD and Swan for example, the ball tends to go into the wide channels every time. On the odd occasion it works when Maris for example gets on the end of one, but its few and far between.

Im not trying to knock it, as I enjoy watching it, but i dont think we have the personal at this moment in time to pull of that style of play now oates is out.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:20 am

Clough really did not want to drop Brunt, sometimes he’s guilty of making any change no matter how daft just to keep certain players in. So it was a mistake not to play Bowery RB, Macca LB and drop Brunt. Obviously you can only blame the player himself for the mistake that caused the goal. Sometimes it’s may be harsh but Clough gotta just drop the player when it’s right no matter how well he’s done this season.

My main concern is we have just being creative, we know most games we will not be clinical but the amount of chances we created overcome that but that’s gone away in the past 3 games.

Akins is terribly out of form too, not played even remotely well since Stockport.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:31 am

Akins is terribly out of form too, not played even remotely well since Stockport.[/quote]

He hadn't played well since he came back from injury, the Stockport game was the exception if he played well there as you say. There is no alternative to a very ordinary player at the moment and that's why the silence in the January window drives me crazy.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby PostmanPat » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:36 am

We seriously lack a striker and some pace across the team.

Why is brunt playing right back? Stupid decisions from Clough yet again!
PostmanPat
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby broomo » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:02 am

diablo wrote:
chimneyboy wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
bigalstag1 wrote:Jolly well done Mr. Clough and your players. Another night of rip roaring entertainment, can't wait for the next home game. Especially liked your 10 players back in the box against the bottom team on the league!
Nothing to do with the swirling wind and rain then :?

Andy, you are going to have to take your rose coloured specs off one day you are getting repetitive

The Manager seems to be struggling with Selection problems...Bowery shoe horned in at left back instead of Macca, For goodness sake play Bowery at Right back and Macca Left back that would work reasonably well...Brunt is not a full back so why play him there? the lad is basically a centre half/ defensive midfielder...Clarke must start if fit...Akins is unfortunately totally hopeless at present...if the Club seriously want Lee Gregory then they will have to pay SW the 12k a week they are asking for not the 6K a week we offered or alternatively another striker or 2...no new Striker then no top 3

Didn't you tell us last week Gregory had already signed on a free transfer?

He isn't on 12k a week, we haven't offered 6k and there is no way on gods green earth we'd pay his full wages. It would be absolute madness if we did.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:06 am

I'm with Broomo on that.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimmy11 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:09 am

We are third in the league, have had the best season in years, have great owners, a great manager and great training facilities but for some it's not good enough. You want to criticise the club, the manager, the stadium, the pitch, the groundsman and try to humiliate players you don't rate or like. That is not the role of a supporter ! We need to be constructive and supportive of our club if we are to achieve league 1 status. The owners have been incredible for our club but are criticised/mocked by a section of our fan Base. The same fans who demand that the owners pay for a better pitch, pay to refurbish the stadium, sign the 3 or 4 players that these fans demand we need. These fans are not worried about the club's future which without the owners and the current manager will not be that great. The Radfords along with their staff have given us a wonderful chance of promotion at on small cost to themselves ( financially or personally ),

19 games to go and Mansfield Town can win promotion this season.
Jimmy11
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Conker » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:32 am

Plenty of constructive criticism on this thread.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby PostmanPat » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:46 am

Jimmy11 wrote:We are third in the league, have had the best season in years, have great owners, a great manager and great training facilities but for some it's not good enough. You want to criticise the club, the manager, the stadium, the pitch, the groundsman and try to humiliate players you don't rate or like. That is not the role of a supporter ! We need to be constructive and supportive of our club if we are to achieve league 1 status. The owners have been incredible for our club but are criticised/mocked by a section of our fan Base. The same fans who demand that the owners pay for a better pitch, pay to refurbish the stadium, sign the 3 or 4 players that these fans demand we need. These fans are not worried about the club's future which without the owners and the current manager will not be that great. The Radfords along with their staff have given us a wonderful chance of promotion at on small cost to themselves ( financially or personally ),

So people aren’t allowed an opinion??

And you don’t think we need a striker?

Ok.
PostmanPat
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby HitchcocksShins » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:05 pm

Baffling formation again. I wonder if the chip off the ol' block has been on the sauce
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby steiner » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:10 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:Baffling formation again. I wonder if the chip off the ol' block has been on the sauce

Say that to his face.. He would prob rip you a new one
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby bear 73 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:38 pm

Jimmy11 wrote:We are third in the league, have had the best season in years, have great owners, a great manager and great training facilities but for some it's not good enough. You want to criticise the club, the manager, the stadium, the pitch, the groundsman and try to humiliate players you don't rate or like. That is not the role of a supporter ! We need to be constructive and supportive of our club if we are to achieve league 1 status. The owners have been incredible for our club but are criticised/mocked by a section of our fan Base. The same fans who demand that the owners pay for a better pitch, pay to refurbish the stadium, sign the 3 or 4 players that these fans demand we need. These fans are not worried about the club's future which without the owners and the current manager will not be that great. The Radfords along with their staff have given us a wonderful chance of promotion at on small cost to themselves ( financially or personally ),

Jimmy 11" what a refreshing post nice to see this is not a opinion but fact
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:43 pm

bear 73 wrote:

when has a section of our fan base mocked the Radfords ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:05 pm

Maybe it’s the case everyone’s petrified of falling into the playoffs and then the inevitable happening. :lol:
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:19 pm

bear 73 wrote:

The only criticism I've seen or heard about our brilliant owners is that being in Portugal, as is their right of choice, hasn't exactly felt like the day to day club is well oiled and running smoothly. I've certainly never heard or read of any other mockery or criticism.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:19 pm

Oh what a night i got wet blown away and froze, but for some a good night to play fast flowing football.
Brunt made a huge error on a windy poor pitch, and im sure he will know what Nigel thought of his decision making.
Sutton came like many do on a mission to use The One Call as a yard stick with a point being a marker.
The conditions certainly worked in their favour and one goal was the difference between the Stags doing well in the conditions or being a failure,
Now its 3rd of feb and having lost one game at home all season it will be a full house at the One Call, and for some the club is failing, { only a opinion } really.
Last night we gained one point more on Crewe and Barrow and still have a game in hand.
Stockport lost one in last 5.
wrexham lost two in last 5
Mansfield lost one in last 5
Crewe lost none in last 5
Barrow lost two in last 5 After 27 games Mansfield Town are 3 points off top of league 2.
Personally i want to thank all At Mansfield Town for a brilliant first half of the season, and look forward to the Challenge in 2024 and in keeping my season in the promotion mix
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:25 pm

The most worrying thing from last night is the potential injury to Maris. If he’s injured for any length of time we may need even more reinforcements.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:26 pm

A horrible game against a horrible team on a horrible pitch in horrible weather.

One of the worst 2nd halfs I have seen at Field Mill due to the weather, an incompetent referee and the anti-footnall tactics of Sutton United. The ball was in play for around 10 minutes.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:52 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:The most worrying thing from last night is the potential injury to Maris. If he’s injured for any length of time we may need even more reinforcements.

My worry too Musings, to me he seems to have been carrying an ankle for weeks.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby robeyre » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:06 pm

Great post
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dave Wayne » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:20 pm

Reading this thread, I can only assume the Samaritans phone line was busy last night !!
Unless I am looking at the wrong table we are currently in the 3rd automatic promotion spot, 3 points off the leaders, and with a game in hand over the next 2 teams behind us.
Yes mistakes were made last night but for people to suggest we were outplayed is ridiculous when you look at the stats.
I have been saying for a while that we are a better team away from home as teams come here to defend and frustrate us, whereas away they have to attack us in front of their home fans and this allows us to play to our strengths. The problem we had last night, and against Crewe, was gifting them both an early goal and giving them something to defend.
Can't be bothered to dig through and look for it, but I saw a comment earlier in the thread suggesting Clough had cost us by failing to get a decent striker over several windows. I wonder if the person who posted that was saying the same thing when he signed a young striker from a Premier League club in the summer who scored 10 goals in 28 L2 appearances last season ?
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum