{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Crawley scorefred sponsored by let’s not be rusty

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Crawley scorefred sponsored by let’s not be rusty

Postby bear 73 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:05 pm

A good win and coming back from that penalty, lve seen blocking, shirt pulling and players not even looking at the ball from free kicks and corners , just blocking opponents from the cross.
All this allowed in games,, but the sending off was also very harsh,
The best comment was Nigel stating that we need to keep pace with the front runners over xmas, and a lot of football left to play.
As a fan its nice to be in the mix and January to come, but some bad pitches will even the teams out. and of course we have the refs one decision could change a game.
A funny old game it just keeps giving sometimes not what we want :mtfc:
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:11 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
HitchcocksShins wrote:Is rewatching a match common? Is this something lots of people do and I had no idea? Are y'all treating football matches like GoT? Please respond as I'm scared and suddenly feel very alone.

I usually watch the ten minute highlight video unless there’s a particular incident I want to watch again.

I'll watch the whole game, if I didn't get to a game & we won.

10 minute highlights, if I went to thegame or if I didn't go & we drew.

If we lose I don't bother at all.

If we stuff Notts County 1-4 live on national TV & I was at the game, I will rewatch the game in its entirety anything up to 5 or 6 times (so far)
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:18 pm

marksay wrote:We really do need a striker in Jan to nail the chances

Yes we do, all the challenging teams have a dependable striker, Oates and Akins are not consistent enough, we should have replaced one or both yesterday for the last 20 or so but Swan is out I'll and has still not regained his last season form and Gale needs a loan out and regular men's football to see if he has a future.
Last edited by oldweststander on Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:58 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Sneag wrote:First 13 minutes is missing off the iFollow replay.

yes, major mess-up by IMG.

Is that also why the coverage got stuck a few minutes before kickoff and didn't return until well into the first half? According to the Stags in Spain.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:57 pm

Bradders wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Is that also why the coverage got stuck a few minutes before kickoff and didn't return until well into the first half? According to the Stags in Spain.

I don't know. I'm hoping we'll get the full match replay fixed tomorrow and some info on what went wrong.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby ParisStag » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:52 pm

Bradders wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

I had exactly that issue too.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:03 am

oldweststander wrote:

Yes we do, all the challenging teams have a dependable striker, Oates and Akins are not consistent enough, we should have replaced one or both yesterday for the last 20 or so but Swan is out I'll and has still not regained his last season form and Gale needs a loan out and regular men's football to see if he has a future.

What do we do when said striker also misses a couple? Most strikers tend to miss more than they score. Erling Haaland scored 34% of his shots last season (premier league data is more available) and is 1st in the "top 10" for goals to shots. 10th has a 20% conversion rate. So the 10th best finisher in the premier league scored 1 in 5 chances. And the best was 1 in 3.

I don't know if the usual stattos know of a site to see what our player's conversion stats are. no expected stuff actual shots:goals ratio for players. Would be interesting to see. I tried to find and best I can find is team goals to goals ratio. DKD has scored 34% of our goals btw proving he is this elusive 20-goal forward people think we definitely will get in Jan.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:09 am

A great goal from the George Maris free kick and Rhys Oates cross for the Stags to take the lead. Baily Cargill scoring with a bullet header. The Stags should then have added to their lead after two great interceptions by Davis Keillor Dunn and Lewis Brunt. Rhys Oates should have scored from one of them but he smashed his shot over the bar. Lucas Akins should also have scored with a free header early on.

I then thought the referee was going to spoil the game as he awarded Crawley a mystery penalty when the ball was 30 yards away as they were taking a free kick. Daniel Orsi has a good record against Mansfield and he scored the penalty. The Stags then looked a bit rattled and Crawley had a couple of good chances to take the lead.. The referee was whipping cards out like he was on a spending binge in The Lanes in Brighton and Ollie Clarke looked the favourite to receive the first red card. Crawley were mainly attacking down the right and Ollie and Jordan Bowery were letting Liam Kelly and Kellan Gordon get in behind them too many times. Kellan Gordon was playing in a more attacking position on the right which was good for him as his main weakness is defending.

Thankfully Stephen Quinn came on for Ollie Clarke at half time and he changed the game. He crossed from the left for DKD to score his 12th goal of the season and then helped to set up George Maris to score a great 3rd goal from the edge of the area (5th of the season). Quinn was then fouled by Jay Williams and the ref fulfilled his main aim of the day by giving Williams two yellow cards and sending him off. Mansfield then ran out the clock by just passing the ball around for the rest of the game although DKD and Oates could have added to the score. We ended up with a left back and midfield player up front after making three subs in injury time.

My MOM were Lewis Brunt and George Maris followed by Stephen Quinn. DKD and Baily Cargill also played well. Jordan Bowery had a better 2nd half.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:08 am

Catching up on the post match and Clough mentioned a tactical tweak at half time, looked like we switched to a 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 whichever way you want to call it. I don’t remember us lining up too often like that under Clough.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:44 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Catching up on the post match and Clough mentioned a tactical tweak at half time, looked like we switched to a 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 whichever way you want to call it. I don’t remember us lining up too often like that under Clough.

Not a bad thing to change occasionally as some teams may have sussed us out.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:08 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Catching up on the post match and Clough mentioned a tactical tweak at half time, looked like we switched to a 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 whichever way you want to call it. I don’t remember us lining up too often like that under Clough.

If they have they're not going about it very well
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:24 pm

That Assist from Quinn is sensational. 5 assists for him now.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:33 pm

To the people that went, how did brunt do in midfield and Bowery at left back? Would you keep them in the team at Sutton?
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby TheMyTStags » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:10 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
oldweststander wrote:

What do we do when said striker also misses a couple? Most strikers tend to miss more than they score. Erling Haaland scored 34% of his shots last season (premier league data is more available) and is 1st in the "top 10" for goals to shots. 10th has a 20% conversion rate. So the 10th best finisher in the premier league scored 1 in 5 chances. And the best was 1 in 3.

I don't know if the usual stattos know of a site to see what our player's conversion stats are. no expected stuff actual shots:goals ratio for players. Would be interesting to see. I tried to find and best I can find is team goals to goals ratio. DKD has scored 34% of our goals btw proving he is this elusive 20-goal forward people think we definitely will get in Jan.[/quote
They are on fbref. Our highest is Bowery with 22%, then Cargill with 18%, then DKD with 15%.
Akins: 11%
Swan: 7%
Oates: 5%
TheMyTStags
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:40 pm

lifestags wrote:That Assist from Quinn is sensational. 5 assists for him now.

And a few on here were saying he was done a few weeks ago! far from it
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:44 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

If they have they're not going about it very well
To be fair Tranmere did.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:20 pm

To be fair a lot more haven't....
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:43 pm

lifestags wrote:To the people that went, how did brunt do in midfield and Bowery at left back? Would you keep them in the team at Sutton?

Both were excellent. I would imagine he would still bring Reed back, move Cargill to left back and drop Johnson.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby WoodhouseStag » Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:44 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
oldweststander wrote:

I don't know if the usual stattos know of a site to see what our player's conversion stats are. no expected stuff actual shots:goals ratio for players. Would be interesting to see. I tried to find and best I can find is team goals to goals ratio. DKD has scored 34% of our goals btw proving he is this elusive 20-goal forward people think we definitely will get in Jan.

Bowery 9 shots 2 goals - 0.22 G/Sh
Cargill 11 shots 2 goals - 0.18 G/Sh
DKD 82 shots 12 goals - 0.15 G/Sh
Brunt 7 shots 1 goals - 0.14 G/Sh
Maris 38 shots 5 goals - 0.13 G/Sh
Reed 18 shots 2 goals - 0.11 G/Sh
Akins 47 shots 6 goals - 0.11 G/Sh
Flint 24 shots 2 goals - 0.08 G/Sh
Swan 15 shots 1 goals - 0.07 G/Sh
Oates 37 shots 2 goals - 0.05 G/Sh
Clarke 22 shots 1 goals - 0.05 G/Sh
Lewis 23 shots 1 goals - 0.04 G/Sh

https://fbref.com/en/squads/13cb8449/Mansfield-Town-Stats#all_stats_shooting
WoodhouseStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Bradders » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:01 pm

82 shots from DKD?!
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:10 pm

Bradders wrote:82 shots from DKD?!

That’s only four attempts a game. I would have thought any forward worth his salt would have four attempts a game.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:11 pm

Thanks for that. I will bookmark that site.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:21 pm

part time pete wrote:
Bradders wrote:82 shots from DKD?!

That’s only four attempts a game. I would have thought any forward worth his salt would have four attempts a game.

Isaac Olafe, 13 goals for Stockport, has had 45 shots on goal.

DKD has 37 shots on target. Louie Barrie (9 goals for Stockport) has 37 shots (14 on target).

The leading goalscorer is Jake Young at Swindon, with a conversion rate of 0.27. They're 12th, who wants to swap with them? We would be mid table but at least our forward would have scored 16 instead of 12.

I'll take 4 with a game in hand on 2nd with a further game in hand to take us near top with top still to play later on in the season.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby SelstonStag88 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:22 pm

part time pete wrote:
lifestags wrote:To the people that went, how did brunt do in midfield and Bowery at left back? Would you keep them in the team at Sutton?

Both were excellent. I would imagine he would still bring Reed back, move Cargill to left back and drop Johnson.

Brunt was good up to his booking then had to just play the rest of the game carefully . Bowery really struggled up against Kellan Gordon who beat him every time first half but just like we all know Gordon has no end product. Bowery dealt with him better 2nd half.

No changes from the 2nd half team Quinn in for Clarke don't change a winning team.
SelstonStag88
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:46 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:To be fair a lot more haven't....
Let us hope they don't for the rest of the season.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum