{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

MK scorefred sponsored by MATCH POSTPONED

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: MK scorefred sponsored by MATCH POSTPONED

Postby BigGuy » Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:40 pm

Rob wrote:
A few years ago I referee'd a Middx County Cup game at Flitwick, next to the ground I was on was another pitch which was being used by the club's Reserve side - the referee on that game came over to have a chat with me about the pitch so I went over and we immediately agreed the pitch was waterlogged and unplayable - the pitch I was on, just 25 yards away, was fine. This facility is one of the new FA funded grounds and the pitches are normally excellent. It happens.

Beep
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:56 pm

BigGuy wrote:
Rob wrote:
A few years ago I referee'd a Middx County Cup game at Flitwick, next to the ground I was on was another pitch which was being used by the club's Reserve side - the referee on that game came over to have a chat with me about the pitch so I went over and we immediately agreed the pitch was waterlogged and unplayable - the pitch I was on, just 25 yards away, was fine. This facility is one of the new FA funded grounds and the pitches are normally excellent. It happens.

Beep

Surely given the mass amount of money we’ve spent on drainage you’d expect we wouldn’t be burdened by this.

Something seriously wrong with the pitch/drainage
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:59 pm

Stoney wrote:
Rob wrote:
Stoney wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote:
Stoney wrote:It is quite embarrassing that our game is off but Shirebrook Town can get their game on.

You are comparing apples and oranges

How so?

That's fair enough Rob, my knowledge of drainage and soil is limited to growing a few veggies in my allotment but my point was we are in a greater financial position than the likes of Shirebrook so we have got to be sorting this drainage out once and for all as there is clearly an issue.

Yes no doubt there is an issue but we've always had problems with drainage despite quite big investment in the pitch in recent years. There has been an awful lot of rain in recent months so the water table is very high so pitches like ours, which have always been more susceptible to waterlogging, are affected more than others like at Clippo, Shirebrook etc.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:00 pm

Stoney wrote:
Stoney wrote:It is quite embarrassing that our game is off but Shirebrook Town can get their game on.

How so?

Because they are miles apart from each other, it is likely that they are on different soils and rock base. The water table will be different at Clipstone due to the proximity of open land
Clipstone is more open and so the win has some chance of drying the pitch a little
Also they are several steps apart in the leagues and so the referee expectations will be different.
I find it so odd that league 2 has a disproportionate number of postponements in comparison to the leagues above and below - my suspicion, as I wrote earlier, is that there is a tension between the funding available and the expectations of pitch quality
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Re: MK scorefred sponsored by can’t be bothered

Postby Spiritater » Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:01 pm

part time pete wrote:In here lads and lasses

All this comes from pete's lackadaisical attitude to the Fred, was doomed on Wednesday after he didn't post it up ;)
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:03 pm

I'd certainly put it to the company (companies?) that have installed our drainage system, why the heck does the pitch hold water like one that hasn't had a multi-hundreds of thousands of pounds drainage system installed?

They'll be pitches in the Championship and League 1, and League 2 that have been hosed on by the elements and look like a bowling green. Whereas ours - which I agree with Sneag, must have a seam of clay running through it - has had good money thrown at it by the owners for zero return when the weather arrives.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:12 pm

Rob wrote:
Stoney wrote:

How so?

Rob I think you could show this post to every Stags fan and there'd still be fifty percent who won't understand it, because they need someone to blame.

I work in Sheffield - for the water company, by the way - go to the west side of the city: Wadsley, Walkley, Stannington, Hillsborough etc and watch how the ground water pours down the streets due to the clay not allowing the it to go anywhere when the water table is at maximum.

There's more going off under your feet than just a bit of grass and soil.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:25 pm

Mez is so lucky to have so many qualified groundsmen ( if you can say that) on here.

This is the real value of forums like this - Physio’s and fitness experts, fully qualified tacticians and coaches , experts in ground development, player recruitment experts.

We are so blessed . - ))))
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:27 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Rob wrote:
Stoney wrote:

How so?

Rob I think you could show this post to every Stags fan and there'd still be fifty percent who won't understand it, because they need someone to blame.

I work in Sheffield - for the water company, by the way - go to the west side of the city: Wadsley, Walkley, Stannington, Hillsborough etc and watch how the ground water pours down the streets due to the clay not allowing the it to go anywhere when the water table is at maximum.

There's more going off under your feet than just a bit of grass and soil.

It's obviously a balancing act, does the club spend a million (at a rough guess) digging up the pitch to a depth where this is no longer a problem, or do they risk losing one or two games a season (which of course will still be played). I don't know how many games we've lost to a waterlogged pitch over the past ten years, but would guess that the lost revenue would not represent anywhere near what it would cost to dig up the pitch to the depth required and install a new drainage system. No-one wants games off, but it's December, it happens, spend some quality time with the other half :P
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:30 pm

yorkstag wrote:Mez is so lucky to have so many qualified groundsmen ( if you can say that) on here.

This is the real value of forums like this - Physio’s and fitness experts, fully qualified tacticians and coaches , experts in ground development, player recruitment experts.

If only qualified professionals were allowed to comment frankly there would be no discussions at all - following your logic, you have to be a player to comment on player performance, a manager to comment on tactics, an owner to comment on the state of the ground, a builder to comment on building new stands, a groundsman to comment on the pitch and a physio to comment on injuries. If you don't want to read fans views, what are you doing here?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:39 pm

Anyone loooked out the window in the last 10 minutes? :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby The Hoffmeister » Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:44 pm

Rob wrote:
yorkstag wrote:Mez is so lucky to have so many qualified groundsmen ( if you can say that) on here.

If only qualified professionals were allowed to comment frankly there would be no discussions at all - following your logic, you have to be a player to comment on player performance, a manager to comment on tactics, an owner to comment on the state of the ground, a builder to comment on building new stands, a groundsman to comment on the pitch and a physio to comment on injuries. If you don't want to read fans views, what are you doing here?

Whooooosh :lol:
Yorkstag and he has a couple of cohorts on here Rob are the Stagsnet classics......You know the ones, "moan at the moaners" :lol:
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby 1970Stag » Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:49 pm

Let’s hope if Crewe win in the cup replay we can put this game on that Saturday and then it’s not so bad. Absolutely pelting down out there at the mo with a blowy game, I’m glad it’s off, because it could have been abandoned which is even worse!
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:57 pm

Sneag wrote:Anyone loooked out the window in the last 10 minutes? :lol:

Nope im outside in 23 degrees irrelevant i know ,but i feel better just letting you know :lol:
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:58 pm

The Hoffmeister wrote:
Rob wrote:

Whooooosh :lol:
Yorkstag and he has a couple of cohorts on here Rob are the Stagsnet classics......You know the ones, "moan at the moaners" :lol:

I’m not moaning at the moaners I’m just saying how lucky we are.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:00 pm

Rob wrote:

We all know you know everything about everything and that’s why we are so lucky
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:14 pm

In our promotion year we had a lot of postponed games that required tue/sat games for a while…we created some rhythm and momentum. I’m not saying I like postponements, but I’m hoping it eventually works in our favour!
We definitely need to sort this going forward, but the amount of rain we’ve had is a once in decade event.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Hon Sec » Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:19 pm

I had to drive to Bawtry this morning at about 10am and the conditions on the roads was atrocious. I can’t think I have ever seen so much deep surface water on the roads. On my return back I said I can’t see the game being on. And it was still raining heavy. So the person earlier up on this post saying it was no more than drizzle was obviously not out in it.
Hon Sec
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:27 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:In our promotion year we had a lot of postponed games that required tue/sat games for a while…we created some rhythm and momentum. I’m not saying I like postponements, but I’m hoping it eventually works in our favour!
We definitely need to sort this going forward, but the amount of rain we’ve had is a once in decade event.

And now Notts losing at home…I’m telling ya, this could be in our favour!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:47 pm

Hon Sec wrote:I had to drive to Bawtry this morning at about 10am

We get it, you drove to Bawtry this morning, not sure it needs multiple posts about it.

For the record I got up this morning.
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:51 pm

Costastag wrote:

Nope im outside in 23 degrees irrelevant i know ,but i feel better just letting you know :lol:
Yeh, and I bet the maintenance of pitches over where you are so much better that you don't get postponements due to a bit of rain. :? :D
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:58 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Costastag wrote:

Yeh, and I bet the maintenance of pitches over where you are so much better that you don't get postponements due to a bit of rain. :? :D

That's because he doesn't live on the plain.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:12 pm

1970Stag wrote:Let’s hope if Crewe win in the cup replay we can put this game on that Saturday and then it’s not so bad. Absolutely pelting down out there at the mo with a blowy game, I’m glad it’s off, because it could have been abandoned which is even worse!

Why, if Crewe lose to Bristol Rovers, then we play them on the 6th Jan. If they win then we still have a game to rearrange in new year either Crewe or MK Dons.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Hon Sec » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:18 pm

BigGuy wrote:
Hon Sec wrote:I had to drive to Bawtry this morning at about 10am

We get it, you drove to Bawtry this morning, not sure it needs multiple posts about it.

For the record I got up this morning.

If you’re in that sort of mood I think you’d do well to go back to bed.
Hon Sec
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneag » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:23 pm

part time pete wrote:
1970Stag wrote:Let’s hope if Crewe win in the cup replay we can put this game on that Saturday and then it’s not so bad. Absolutely pelting down out there at the mo with a blowy game, I’m glad it’s off, because it could have been abandoned which is even worse!

Why, if Crewe lose to Bristol Rovers, then we play them on the 6th Jan. If they win then we still have a game to rearrange in new year either Crewe or MK Dons.

Damn you & your Vulcan logic Spock.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum