{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

personal project: top 24 significant players in our history

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: personal project: top 24 significant players in our hist

Postby Showaddywaddy » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:57 am

If based on significance then I’d go with:

1) Arnold - almost unanimously agreed to be our best ever keeper.
2) Hitchcock- will always be part of our history for his two penalty saves at Wembley.
3) Foster - the only player to captain us to success at Wembley and lead us to promotion as both a captain and manager.
4) Kent - scorer of our first ever Wembley goal and to this day the only Stags player to score from open play at Wembley and in any cup final.
5) Kenworthy - winning penalty at Wembley.
6) Bird - legend status as our best ever defender in our best ever side.
7) MacCaffrey - our best ever winger in our best ever side.
8) Hodgson - captain of our best ever side.
9) Pate - record appearances and record number of consecutive appearances.
10) Ray Clarke - ridiculous scoring record, widely acknowledged as one of the classiest players to wear the shirt and that’s backed up by his career after leaving the Stags.
11) Wagstaff - all time top scorer.
12) Cassells - incredible scoring record, cult hero, the celebration against Chester, finishing his final home game in goal as we relegated Chesterfield.
13) Wilkinson - one of our top goalscorers and the first Stags player to score 5 in a game since….i can’t remember the stat).
14) Stant - another terrace hero, goal machine, would run through brick walls for the shirt and mastered the art of diving before the Premier League even existed (Barnet at home 91).
15) Greenacre - the most natural finisher I’ve seen in a Stags shirt, the talisman in the best Stags side I’ve ever seen and scored probably the greatest ever individual Stags goal (Cheltenham away 00-01).
16) Lawrence- local lad, probably the most gifted Stags player I’ve seen, scoring a boat like ad of goals from midfield including that stoppage time winner at Saltergate.
17) Corden - the most exciting winger I’ve seen, didn’t score tap ins was brilliant to watch.
18) Green- without him we wouldn’t have escaped non league when we did, the Hereford goal will be talked about forever.
19) Hassell - part of the incredible 01/02 side, Liam wouldn’t have been as good if he didn’t have Bobby behind him.
20) Williamson - not fair to mention Liam and Bobby without Leroy, having so many youth teamers players not only break through but also star in a promotion season probably won’t be seen again in a very, very long time.
21) Disley - same reason as Leroy and he also chipped in with some incredibly important goals.
22) Les Robinson - coming back to his hometown club to captain us to promotion was just as special as the youth team quartet leading the charge. He rolled back the years.
23) Holland - one of the best box to box midfielders I’ve seen, think his career would’ve been even more impressive if not for a couple of serious injuries.
24) Murray - captained us to the Conference title, a true leader, lost count how many spells he had with us and managed us and kept us in the league on a very modest budget. Another player and manager who gave everything for the shirt.

I’ve no doubt missed off some who deserve to be on the list and I’ve included several players from before my time but their names will forever be part of our history.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:04 pm

Thread about significant players and not one mention of the club legend who's departure literally kept the club alive.

Shaking my head and wagging my fingers at you, lads.
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:05 pm

Also, Blair Sturrock

HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Gruff » Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:05 pm

When I think about "significant", I think of achievements for the club, and not necessarily the best.
Promotion winning players & FR Trophy winners need more consideration than fans favourites in my opinion.
But saying that...
Managers: Smith, Greaves, Morris
Keepers: Arnold, Hitchcock, Marriott
Fullbacks: Pate, B Foster
Centrebacks: G Foster, C Foster, K Bird, McClelland, Calderwood, Boam
Midfield: Hodgson, McCaffrey, Morris, Murray, Matthews, Lawrence, L Williams
Forwards: Roberts, Clarke, Eccles, Cassells, Greenacre, Barker, Green

That's 3 managers and 25 players... we have had some legends.
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby georgefostersbeard » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:07 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:Thread about significant players and not one mention of the club legend who's departure literally kept the club alive.

I had been thinking about this and which players' departures had a significant impact from the money brought in. In one generation, Hitchcock left in 1988, Craig Mckernon in 1990 and Simon Coleman in 1989.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:21 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:
HitchcocksShins wrote:Thread about significant players and not one mention of the club legend who's departure literally kept the club alive.

I had been thinking about this and which players' departures had a significant impact from the money brought in. In one generation, Hitchcock left in 1988, Craig Mckernon in 1990 and Simon Coleman in 1989.

He's possibly referring to Richie Barker, who I believe was sold at a bargain price from under the nose of the manager, as Haslam needed some cash at the time. Either him or Calderwood, who provided an immediate unexpected cash windfall direct to Haslam, despite Calderwood leaving for about £30k to Swindon under Abacus as the tribunal ruling when Calderwood went to Spurs came under Haslam, giving him the best part of £600k. I wouldn't call Calderwood a club legend though.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:49 pm

Dudley Roberts surely has to be in any list. And as I said above, Ted Harston. Not many strikers get over 50 goals a season.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:18 pm

Bradders wrote:Dudley Roberts surely has to be in any list. And as I said above, Ted Harston. Not many strikers get over 50 goals a season.

Thanks Bradders, couldn’t remember Ted Harston’s name. He was the last player before Wilko to get five in a game . Can remember a presentation to Wilko at the next home game after the Brum game to mark the achievement.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:30 pm

Quite striking how few candidates there are from recent years.

Green and Murray appear to be the only ones in the last 20 years really to get a sniff. I wonder if any of the 18/19 or 21/22 squad would have been mentioned had we got over the line?

Need another promotion under our belt!
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tre Cool » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:37 pm

Gruff wrote:When I think about "significant", I think of achievements for the club, and not necessarily the best.
Promotion winning players & FR Trophy winners need more consideration than fans favourites in my opinion.
But saying that...

I'd include Paul Cox and Ted Harston in that list, but I agree with everything else. That's a definitive list of significant players for our club.
Tre Cool
First Team
First Team

Postby PaulG » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:51 pm

I think part of the problem in including players from recent squads is that the player turn-over has been significant. Most of those mentioned in the lists above were either 1st team regulars over two or three seasons, were truly exceptional (Ray Clarke, who wasn't with us long but can't be overlooked springs to mind), or were part of that glorious bunch of youth team players who came through together. We've had, and have, some very good players over the last ten years, but none have hung around long (different managers looking for different qualities), and none have won anything.
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Rob » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:10 pm

Gruff wrote:When I think about "significant", I think of achievements for the club, and not necessarily the best.
But saying that...

Those who saw Waggy play would argue he is the best Stags player ever - I grew up with tales of Waggy and Roberts, they were my grandads favourite players and even though we saw every game in the mid 70's, he always said those two were better than anyone from that great mid-70's side. It is difficult to put players onto a list who you haven't seen, stats tell part of the story, but not all and this is a subjective discussion. I agree with all your list apart from Willo, he was a good solid player and I liked him, but I can think of lots of other midfielders not on your list I'd choose ahead of him.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:12 pm

The most significant for me is Matt Green. Not because he’s the best we’ve had…not by a long chalk…but because, if it wasn’t for him, I swear we’d still be in non league.
As for the best…going on stories of old, it is most definitely Waggy.
For a Wembley cup final win…we could pick 14 or 15 of em…for our best ever team of the late 70’s, the same applies.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:10 pm

I always say this every time it comes up.

But Paul Holland is the best all round midfielder I have seen play for us. People omit him simply because he went on to play for THEM later on.

But name a player who makes an England U21 squad whilst playing in the fourth tier?

It just does not happen.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:46 pm

stagmanrob wrote:I always say this every time it comes up.

But Paul Holland is the best all round midfielder I have seen play for us. People omit him simply because he went on to play for THEM later on.

But name a player who makes an England U21 squad whilst playing in the fourth tier?

It just does not happen.

Brilliant player. I just don’t think he hits the significant top spot. Definitely in a 24!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:53 pm

Wasn't Paul Holland youth team coach when we had our influx of youth coming through in early 00's? I'd say for this he earns a significant spot.

HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:00 pm

Showaddywaddy wrote:
Bradders wrote:Dudley Roberts surely has to be in any list. And as I said above, Ted Harston. Not many strikers get over 50 goals a season.

Thanks Bradders, couldn’t remember Ted Harston’s name. He was the last player before Wilko to get five in a game . Can remember a presentation to Wilko at the next home game after the Brum game to mark the achievement.

Harston had two 5 goal games, and a 7!
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:13 am

I’m still amazed we haven’t got a statue of big George at the ground lifting the FRT. it would be nice to do it while he’s still alive. Too many things are done when people pass away which baffles me.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:51 am

Surprising that Freddie Steele doesn't get a mention. As player manager he initiated our best period, with average gates of 12000 unbeaten at home all season and a second place finish. He scored a lot too. Possibly our most significant player, after Harston?
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:18 am

Dan wrote:I’m still amazed we haven’t got a statue of big George at the ground lifting the FRT. it would be nice to do it while he’s still alive. Too many things are done when people pass away which baffles me.

He hasn't had the recognition he deserves so that younger fans know what a legend he was (I accept I am totally biased) :lol:
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:22 pm

He deserves better recognition imo.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Size10boot » Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:48 pm

George Foster
Kevin Hitchcock
Kevin Kent
Chris Greenacre
Liam Lawrence
Wayne Corden
Keith Cassells
Phil Stant
Bobby Hassell
Paul Holland
Matt Green
Simon Coleman
Size10boot
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby robeyre » Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:05 pm

Showaddywaddy wrote:

Definately Dudley. Sinply because he came as a defender but became the most effective striker around.
Think Phil Stant for the impact on the team.
Duncan McKenzie for transporting an average team
Sandy Pate. A stalwart of every Mansfield team for years
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby robeyre » Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:08 pm

Dan wrote:I’m still amazed we haven’t got a statue of big George at the ground lifting the FRT. it would be nice to do it while he’s still alive. Too many things are done when people pass away which baffles me.

I Always remember at Frieght Rover final, just before the penalties he ran round to Stags fans to gee them up. A true leader.
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby HitchcocksShins » Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:52 pm

Alot of players chosen for positive significance... any for negative significance?

I'm going to go Jason White.

Had he not been out keeper we'd have had a much better chance at avoiding relegation into non league

HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum