{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Saturday Night Striker Questions

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Saturday Night Striker Questions

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:32 pm

The raging point of the season has been our lack of prowess in front of the sticks this season; so I have a couple of questions for you to ponder and answer!

Would you take a chance on Stevenage's top scorer: 16 goals in all comps in League 1 this season and 40 goals from 82 starts since signing for Stevenage?

The other question - would you have kept Jamie Read on the books at Mansfield Town when he was released after one season: 6 goals from 35 starts in League 2?
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Re: Saturday Night Striker Questions

Postby TheMyTStags » Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:44 pm

I think I remember Clough saying at the time that he wanted him to stay, but Reid wasn't comfortable and wanted to move. Always started him ahead of Cook and Maynard. Coughlan (who signed him but tbf then never played him), Clough and Evans all saw something in him, they were never all going to be wrong. Always had the all round game here but without the clinical edge (like most of our strike options), I guess it shows that a strikers ability to be clinical depends on the team that he is in. Which is something we've now seen with him, Cook, Johnson. Goes back to the question of if there even is a striker affordable to us who would score 20 in the current system, considering how we like to spread the chances around. Take the Swindon game, where most of the missed chances fell to Aaron Lewis, no striker could influence that as the ball wouldn't fall to them
TheMyTStags
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:11 pm

cheeky bid for luke Armstrong
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Chris M » Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:11 pm

In the evening with Andy Garner, he said Jamie Read was the one player who had left the club who he had hoped would stay.
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:37 pm

I think most of us liked him for his attitude and wanted him to succeed but his scoring record was shocking, it wasn't like he wasn't getting the service either. I'm glad he's done well but wish it wasn't under that odious individual and his tinpot club.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:14 pm

Rob wrote:I think most of us liked him for his attitude and wanted him to succeed but his scoring record was shocking, it wasn't like he wasn't getting the service either. I'm glad he's done well but wish it wasn't under that odious individual and his tinpot club.

:lol: :lol:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MK7qz13bU
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Isle of Mansfield » Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:23 pm

Odious? Maybe. Successful? Undoubtedly.
And to describe Stevenage as tinpot is laughably blinkered. Don't let your jealousy obscure the truth. Under Evans, Reid is scoring goals and Stevenage are gunning for promotion to the Championship on a modest budget.
We'd kill for that kind of position. Instead, we now look destined for our annual scramble for the playoffs as our strikers fail to fire and our aging squad fails to deliver. We look like we have a chance of automatic promotion but recent performances have rightly left many questioning the depth of our squad.
Clough or Evans? I know who'd be more likely to take us to the Championship. Clough is a nearly man who tried to tell us 8th place was coming agonisingly close. Yeah to the playoffs Nigel, not to promotion. Evans, on the other hand, is a proven winner. His departure put the club back years.
Isle of Mansfield
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Rob » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:06 pm

Isle of Mansfield wrote:Odious? Maybe. Successful? Undoubtedly.
And to describe Stevenage as tinpot is laughably blinkered. Don't let your jealousy obscure the truth. Under Evans, Reid is scoring goals and Stevenage are gunning for promotion to the Championship on a modest budget.
We'd kill for that kind of position. Instead, we now look destined for our annual scramble for the playoffs as our strikers fail to fire and our aging squad fails to deliver. We look like we have a chance of automatic promotion but recent performances have rightly left many questioning the depth of our squad.
Clough or Evans? I know who'd be more likely to take us to the Championship. Clough is a nearly man who tried to tell us 8th place was coming agonisingly close. Yeah to the playoffs Nigel, not to promotion. Evans, on the other hand, is a proven winner. His departure put the club back years.

2,491 at their game today, the very definition of tinpot.

We know you're a Spireite, we know Dan loves Evans for some bizarre reason. Whatever, Stevenage are tinpot, Evans is vile.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:19 pm

Rob wrote:

We know you're a Spireite, we know Dan loves Evans for some bizarre reason. Whatever, Stevenage are tinpot, Evans is vile.

I'm with you Rob. Don't care how successful he might be, I never wanted Evans as our manager and was delighted when he left. Him and his sidekick are an embarassment on the touchline and he has no loyalty whatsoever. We are far better off with Clough.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:49 pm

It's just generally the Mansfield way. Any striker who leaves us seems to go on to do better elsewhere.

Lee Gregory and Ollie Palmer being examples before Reid.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:24 am

Dave Wayne wrote:
Rob wrote:

I'm with you Rob. Don't care how successful he might be, I never wanted Evans as our manager and was delighted when he left. Him and his sidekick are an embarassment on the touchline and he has no loyalty whatsoever. We are far better off with Clough.

So you'd rather have a loyal manager and repeated failure to stay in Leage Two DW. I realise we are on opposite sides of the Clough coin but I know where I'd rather be.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:02 am

Set us back years?

So we didn't finish 8th and then 4th after he left?

There's the sacking of a manager that set us back years and it isn't the one that left for China before finishing a whole season.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:15 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:cheeky bid for luke Armstrong
Yes. Especially as Wrexham rumoured to be interested elsewhere (Billy Sharp) ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:32 am

I think Wrexham had agreed £500,000, wouldn’t think that’s in our range plus he’s not played much this season, not sure why. Two of the top scorers in our league are on loan from lower clubs ,Young at Swindon is on loan from Bradford and Draper at Walsall is on loan from Lincoln . Maybe a loan deal for Armstrong with a view to buying would be a good option.
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby vicar_jeremiah » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:55 am

This thread is going over old ground:

a. anyone who is not tucked up and having a warm drink in a psychiatric ward knows we need a new striker in Jan

b. If Evans had stayed we would have been promoted. If Nigel fails to get said promotion this season again(despite resources he has had) he will quite rightly fall on his sword and walk, or someone will call him a taxi
vicar_jeremiah
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:42 am

chimneyboy wrote:This thread is going over old ground:

a. anyone who is not tucked up and having a warm drink in a psychiatric ward knows we need a new striker in Jan

b. If Evans had stayed we would have been promoted. If Nigel fails to get said promotion this season again(despite resources he has had) he will quite rightly fall on his sword and walk, or someone will call him a taxi
But Evan's decided not to stay ! You can't put a price on loyalty. The only reason we need a striker is due to Akins injury. We were doing fine until then. We need someone who can hold the ball up and create chances for others. By the way your reference to the "psychiatric ward" I find is in very poor taste.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Gruff » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:58 am

I think it's interesting how we go completely unbeaten playing Akins as almost a loan striker backed up by a 5-man midfield. Generally getting 20+shots on goal every game and outplaying every side we come up against.

When we start playing to 2 recognised forwards, our form drops, we create less chances and don't look so effective.

So, whilst tucked up having my warm drink in the psychiatric ward,I'm probably on the fence about a new striker.
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkstag » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:17 am

I would keep Nigel if he wants to stay irrespective.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:18 am

Amber Andy wrote:

But Evan's decided not to stay ! You can't put a price on loyalty. The only reason we need a striker is due to Akins injury. We were doing fine until then. We need someone who can hold the ball up and create chances for others. By the way your reference to the "psychiatric ward" I find is in very poor taste.

Good post
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:25 am

Gruff wrote:

I think it's interesting how we go completely unbeaten playing Akins as almost a loan striker backed up by a 5-man midfield. Generally getting 20+shots on goal every game and outplaying every side we come up against.

When we start playing to 2 recognised forwards, our form drops, we create less chances and don't look so effective.

So, whilst tucked up having my warm drink in the psychiatric ward,I'm probably on the fence about a new striker.

I agree. If James Gale goes out on loan then possibly but Will Swan will come good in my view.

Players are not going to come to sit on the bench and it's difficult to see who anyone incoming will displace.

Defensively we are good with three top CH's. George Williams looks good and lets not forget Lewis was bought as a full back/wing back

Midfield - it's just a case of everyone being on their game and staying fit.

For me its one in one out and a decision on Hartigan in January.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby SelstonStag88 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:31 am

yorkstag wrote:I would keep Nigel if he wants to stay irrespective.

He goes with no promotion. Would be a catastrophe if this squad isn't promoted come May and he would rightly fall on his sword.
SelstonStag88
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:35 am

Amber Andy wrote:

Absolutely right Andy. Nobody knows where we'd have finished had Evans stayed, in his final game 1-0 up against Coventry his abysmal tactics cost us the game, we drew 1-1, had we won we'd have been promoted that season, despite the poor run-in. Frankly I hated every second he was here, I never wanted a man like him at my club and to even suggest swapping him for Clough is laughable. I want Evans at our club as much as I want Haslam back!

As for strikers, as I've said before, I'd loan out Gale and bring in a loan striker from a higher division.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:45 am

I disagree completely that it's going over old ground. The point of the thread is that we've had to listen to folk bemoaning for a striker for months. If Jamie Reid had never played for Mansfield there'd be a clamour for a goalscorer like him, however, there was barely a murmur when he left.

The whole point of the discussion is: strikers, you know what you want but you're never sure of what you'll get.

As for your point about Cloughie - I'd give him another season if we didn't get promoted, and most probably another after that too. So different fans with different opinions, hey.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby The Hoffmeister » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:48 am

Rob wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Absolutely right Andy. Nobody knows where we'd have finished had Evans stayed, in his final game 1-0 up against Coventry his abysmal tactics cost us the game, we drew 1-1, had we won we'd have been promoted that season, despite the poor run-in. Frankly I hated every second he was here, I never wanted a man like him at my club and to even suggest swapping him for Clough is laughable. I want Evans at our club as much as I want Haslam back!

As for strikers, as I've said before, I'd loan out Gale and bring in a loan striker from a higher division.

Oh Robert........the "abysmal tactics" against Coventry are outdone x10 by Nigel's "abysmal team selection and tactics" to spoil a massive Wembley date ;)
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dave Wayne » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:56 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
Rob wrote:

So you'd rather have a loyal manager and repeated failure to stay in Leage Two DW. I realise we are on opposite sides of the Clough coin but I know where I'd rather be.

According to all the Evans lovers we would have been promoted, but thanks to his lack of loyalty we will never know. Most managers talk about a 3 year plan to build a squad. Clough is in his 3rd full season and we are well in the mix. Why do people feel the need to slate him when things are going well ? If we don't get promoted this year then we can revisit things, but we are supposed to be supporters so why the negativity ? Win the game in hand and we are 2nd fgs. The squad has improved over each transfer window, and I'm sure he already has plans for January. I don't get why people need to look for doom and gloom all the time instead of enjoying the ride.

On a side note, I notice Evans was bigging up Peterborough in the press again last week and saying they are a better side than Portsmouth. Lining up another move to China ?
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum