{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

What was the point

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: What was the point

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:58 pm

Would have been better off having Abdullah on the bench if Swan was there to make up the numbers.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:27 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:Seriously what was point in pressing with Flint up top, which made us far worse.

Take the point, move on...

What was the point?
It was the point we gambled away! If it works, great…but only when we desperately need a goal. It’s these decisions that will determine whether we are 3rd or 4th come May imo. Very odd behaviour by Clough at times.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:32 pm

1970Stag wrote:Glad it wasn't just me that thought this was a bizarre decision! Disrupted the defence and we lumped the ball forward and had no pace up there to benefit! And how do you think Swan feels that his manager would rather stick Flint up top than him!
I'll also add and get loads of flack, but Quinn added nothing to the game and has no legs which puts pressure on the midfield. I'm afraid the subs we bring on at the moment make us a weaker team :( What does Boateng bring to the game?

Swan has had repeated opportunities all season and done nothing nor made any real impact or difference whereas the tactic with Flint has worked before.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:07 pm

Swan not score too many sat on the bench continually will he ?
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bear 73 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:13 pm

During a game a manager has big decisions to make and most fans have very little facts as to why.
Quinn and Akins coming on worked within minutes,
Flint playing up front to give a target for long clearances, And Johnson=Brunt-Cargill-MacDonald a trusted back 4.
They scored a scrappy goal and play back must have shown Flint would have stopped it.
Im sure he was in defence when they scored their first goal,
The point is we have a manager who is their to make decisions on the players available and so far it is working,
Stockport;lost their winning streak to Newport county funny game football ,Notts county also lost with all their top strikers, and Portsmouth lost their winning run .
I know it only happens in Mansfield we move 1 player and the whole team collapses.
I can see why we are struggling
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:28 pm

bear 73 wrote:During a game a manager has big decisions to make and most fans have very little facts as to why.
Flint playing up front to give a target for long clearances, And Johnson=Brunt-Cargill-MacDonald a trusted back 4.
They scored a scrappy goal and play back must have shown Flint would have stopped it.
The point is we have a manager who is their to make decisions on the players available and so far it is working,
Stockport;lost their winning streak to Newport county funny game football ,Notts county also lost with all their top strikers, and Portsmouth lost their winning run .
I know it only happens in Mansfield we move 1 player and the whole team collapses.

:shock:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:44 pm

Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:Swan not score too many sat on the bench continually will he ?

I'd probably say it's the same amount as when he's played this season :lol: :cry:
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:23 am

Dan wrote:
bear 73 wrote:During a game a manager has big decisions to make and most fans have very little facts as to why.

:shock:

I know what he means, we haven't been as impressive of late, but we were never going to keep that up for 46 games. Even Stags promotion winning teams have lost a 10+ games in a season (barring 74/75 which only lost 6).
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:52 pm

Quinn being back is significant and could go one of two ways, regardless of performances or unbeaten runs Clough is going to find a place for him on the pitch, there's no way he can be match fit for 45 minutes let alone any longer. We've done well without him, if it isn't broke there's nothing to fix.

Next team selection will be interesting, I can see Bowery being dropped in favour of Akins, and Maris for Quinn - we'll see tomorrow night.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:11 pm

Agree Pemill. You get the feeling that he’ll do what he can to get Quinn back in to the side, but I’d be a bit cautious of it. That’s not because I don’t think he’s any good, just that we’ve been on a great run with Clarke, Reed, Maris and Lewis and like you say I don’t think it needs changing really.

For me, Clarke is the bigger miss. We could have really done with his running ability and legs second half at Swindon - when you’ve got a couple of slower players like Reed/Lewis in the midfield you need one that can get about the pitch well and Clarke compliments them perfectly.

I feel like Quinn might be better suited at home against teams that are happy to sit in against us.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum