{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Swindon scorefred sponsored by, we can do this

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Swindon scorefred sponsored by, we can do this

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:10 pm

why?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:14 pm

Frustrating game. We had the chances. Lewis about 3 , Akins 2 ( scored 1) but we just don't have a cutting edge. A draw would have been fair.
Midfield went missing a bit . Clarke needs to replace Maris when fit after next weeks break.
Lewis needs to learn to strike a ball hard when he gets in good positions.
Oates as others have said is so frustrating. He should have come off for Swan when Clough put Flint up front ( not a decision I agree with) but he could have run behind. Fine lines, but you don't get a finer line than after 46 games last season.
Bowery is a conundrum for Clough. He's served us so well during the injury crisis but is not now 1st choice right back and really shouldn't be 1st pick on the forward line.
Young had 2 chances, 2 kicks and 2 goals. We are just so naive at times. Why was Oates marking their goal threat? It just makes no sense.
Swan was supposed to be the answer but isn't on the pitch. We need a poacher, a real goalscorer. DKD weighs in from midfield but our strikers wont be threatening the top scorer charts once again. I fear it will cost us.
As others have said, Flint should have stayed back and we take the point away from home. Maybe their second goes in still, but he would have commanded the initial cross.
Important to bounce back Tuesday.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:01 pm

Are we classing that header Akins put against the bar as a chance he probably should have done better with?

Please don't tell me we're classing that header that Akins put against the bar as a chance he probably should have done better with.
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:11 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Clear now that a lot on here said striker is most important if we are going to get automatic place
Oates is great but not scoring anything like enough
Forget Swan
No good
Gale not good currently but too young
As said who is out there we can grab
Clough needs to send out a big search party somewhere
Striker costing us big time
Flint up front is ok odd games but Nige got that one wrong today

We are 3rd, we have scored more goals that this point last season when we finished highest goalscorers.

Forget 3-year-deal Swan. How? Do we send him away on a free transfer? Pay up his contract?

Here's a couple of questions.
What do we do if we send our own players out on loan to bring in more on loan and they aren't better than either? WE then give someone else's player game time whilst ours are playing at a lower level.
What do we do if they just replace Gale/Swan and get 10 mins here and there an odd 20 minutes and they don't score?

From what I can tell what we want is a completely free CF who will come in and score what 15 goals before the end of the season? Whilst not detracting from our current goalscoring? I don't envy any recruitment guy who is tasked with that one.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:26 pm

I’ll be honest, what’s the crack here?

We’ve lost 2 competitive games all season, one in the 4th round of the league cup and today, and we’re opening advent calendars next week (should you be so inclined)

Appreciate i’ve had times when i’ve not always been positive about the direction of the club/team etc but what’s all this about, literally 2 games we’ve lost and it’s the back end of november.

And results still went out way.

Chill out, take it on the chin, move on. We rocking along at 2 points a game, next.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:34 pm

adamstag wrote:I’ll be honest, what’s the crack here?

We’ve lost 2 competitive games all season, one in the 4th round of the league cup and today, and we’re opening advent calendars next week (should you be so inclined)

Appreciate i’ve had times when i’ve not always been positive about the direction of the club/team etc but what’s all this about, literally 2 games we’ve lost and it’s the back end of november.

Chill out, take it on the chin, move on. We rocking along at 2 points a game, next.

And Wrexham in the FA Cup
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:38 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
adamstag wrote:I’ll be honest, what’s the crack here?

And Wrexham in the FA Cup

Ha well yeah, i’ll take that on the chin 3. But those stupid pizza cup games don’t count.

What’s the fuss about, we got a draw at colchester when we shouldn’t have, we’d have had no complaints had we lost to wimbledon at home. Always going to be games over a season when the result
doesn’t always reflect the performance.

We’ve tranmere on tuesday, let’s go again
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:59 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
tillydog123 wrote:Clear now that a lot on here said striker is most important if we are going to get automatic place
Forget Swan
No good

We are 3rd, we have scored more goals that this point last season when we finished highest goalscorers.

Forget 3-year-deal Swan. How? Do we send him away on a free transfer? Pay up his contract?

What do we do if we send our own players out on loan to bring in more on loan and they aren't better than either? WE then give someone else's player game time whilst ours are playing at a lower level.
What do we do if they just replace Gale/Swan and get 10 mins here and there an odd 20 minutes and they don't score?

From what I can tell what we want is a completely free CF who will come in and score what 15 goals before the end of the season? Whilst not detracting from our current goalscoring? I don't envy any recruitment guy who is tasked with that one.

Gale is out for two months, do you still think we don't need to at least be looking for a new striker? I'd be astonished if our scouts weren't looking at young strikers in the Championship/Prem.

It's pretty clear we need to strengthen a little in January - I have no doubt we will - JR isn't spending millions for fun.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:59 am

I'm not bothered we lost, it happes. It's more how it happened and when.

Long journey home
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:16 am

Forget yesterday's game of missed chances and yes we are third in he league with a game in hand.

However, looking at games played so far our finishing hasn't been anywhere near good enough, those early season draws, full of missed chances etc.

The top teams, except us, have very useful striker, Wrexham's is arguably the best followed by Notts number 9, Stockport to have a regular scorer, unfortunately we don't and it shows. Our general play deserves more goal reward, it is goals that count and will decide whether it be automatic promotion or the lottery play-offs where luck comes into it.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:25 am

Poor finishing cost us yesterday. We move onto Tuesday now where 3 points is a must
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:29 am

Rob wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
Forget Swan
No good

Gale is out for two months, do you still think we don't need to at least be looking for a new striker? I'd be astonished if our scouts weren't looking at young strikers in the Championship/Prem.

It's pretty clear we need to strengthen a little in January - I have no doubt we will - JR isn't spending millions for fun.

Not only that, you've got to realise that if we want to push for automatic promotion, we will have to look to improve weak areas to compete with those around us.

It'd be madness if you believe Wrexham, Stockport, Notts, Gillingham and even the massively disappointing Salford won't be throwing money at it to finish the season with a chance of promotion - whether that be automatics or the playoffs.

Our league is that crazy as we all too well know ourselves, that it isn't beyond possible for a team sat in the bottom half to have a good run and end up in contention for promotion.

I would hope JR pushes Clough to have a decent striker like he did with pushing for the signing of Flint.

After all it's his trainset as the saying goes on here.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:23 am

I love Nigel Clough as manager and would give him another 3 year contract today but it was not fair of him in his post match interview to blame the players for not seeing the game out and to take a point when he had weakened the defence by pushing Flint up front. We could easily have gone five at the back or five in midfield and one up front.

It was very very frustrating to travel a long distance and throw away a point at the end when we had missed some good chances and should have been 2-1 up but we nearly got to December without losing a game. We now need a big reaction on Tuesday night and three bags of coal to keep the promotion train on on track.

Swindon took the lead when Calum Johnson and Aaron Lewis lost the ball on the right which they did several times and George Maris had to concede a free kick to stop the counter attack and was yellow carded which resulted in him being undeservedly subbed.

I thought Lewis Brunt and Aden Flint played really well at the back in the 1st half with Louis Reed in front. George Maris was also busy. Rhys Oates worked really hard up front and made two great runs back to stop counter attacks. I know he was at fault for the goal but it does beg the question why he was marking one of the most lethal scorers in League 2 at a set piece.

Jordan Bowery and DKD did not look sharp. I correctly predicted Lucas Akins and Stephen Quinn would come on for Jordan Bowery and George Maris at half time because of his yellow card. I would have subbed Aaron Lewis who was below average yet again and moved Jordan Bowery to right back. Aaron Lewis needs to start wearing Ollie Clarke's lead boots as he can get no power in his shots. He reminds me of Noel Luke.

Lucas Akins made a great impact as a sub but missed an open goal when he headed against the bar. Lewis could have had a hat trick and Davis Keillor Dunn should scored after Lewis Brunt's brilliant surging run forward. Lewis Brunt had a very good game and he was my MOM.

I would have kept Rhys Oates on as his pace helped push back the Swindon defence and he is good at putting pressure on the opposition. I think if he had kept going before shooting over the bar then he would have been in as the Swindon defender had almost given up on chasing him. When Calum MacDonald came on I was expecting us to go to a back five or pack midfield with Lucas up front but we shot ourselves in the foot by weakening our defence and pushing Flint up front.

Will Swan's confidence must also be at rock bottom now as 7th choice striker. I still think he will come good when fully fit given more time. Things can change quickly in football. Perhaps he needs a loan move to Swindon in January like Eoin Doyle and Jake Young.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:08 pm

I will yet again repeat myself for the umpteenth time this season..we need another striker..WE could have been running away with this League and whilst we are in a strong position I dread DK getting injured…we would be stuffed.
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:09 pm

diablo wrote:I will yet again repeat myself for the umpteenth time this season..we need another striker..WE could have been running away with this League and whilst we are in a strong position I dread DK getting injured…we would be stuffed.

How long has Donkey Kong been playing for us?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:28 pm

Its been coming we were going to lose eventually better to lose at swindon rather than wrexham or one of our rivals in the top six ,it was a bad way to lose though and now tuesday becomes even more important we cant keep creating like we are and failing to cash in a win on tuesday will be massive but a loss would be catastrophic ,we tend to have runs either wins or losses lets make sure this is just a blip
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:38 pm

Costastag wrote:Its been coming we were going to lose eventually better to lose at swindon rather than wrexham or one of our rivals in the top six ,it was a bad way to lose though and now tuesday becomes even more important we cant keep creating like we are and failing to cash in a win on tuesday will be massive but a loss would be catastrophic ,we tend to have runs either wins or losses lets make sure this is just a blip

If you take all games we are already on a losing run from not having lost at all, as we were so proud to rightly say, we've now lost 5 out of 7 in all competitions
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:45 pm

Always thought the league is the true measure of how good a team is its consistent ,were a good side who have to be at our best to achieve anything lets just keep doing what weve been doing since august
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:49 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
Costastag wrote:Its been coming we were going to lose eventually better to lose at swindon rather than wrexham or one of our rivals in the top six ,it was a bad way to lose though and now tuesday becomes even more important we cant keep creating like we are and failing to cash in a win on tuesday will be massive but a loss would be catastrophic ,we tend to have runs either wins or losses lets make sure this is just a blip

If you take all games we are already on a losing run from not having lost at all, as we were so proud to rightly say, we've now lost 5 out of 7 in all competitions

I think that’s a bit of an unbalanced view when you look at the teams we put out in two of those cup games and account for the pitch when we played Wrexham. That game probably shouldn’t have been played and all of the water certainty didn’t suit our style. Yes it was the same for both teams and they deserved to win for adapting to the conditions better. The game against Port Vale was against higher league opposition and we should have got at least a point yesterday.

I’m sure we will put things right on Tuesday and shouldn’t get too low or panic.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:32 pm

Feel sorry for the players they gave 100% and failed late into injury time when giving them no chance to come back.
Our away fans have had a good season, and now that long journey home with depression and a feeling of loss, taking a couple of days to shake off.
Sharing the highs and the lows it is what football fans do.
Nigel putting Flint up front gives the long ball out a target, and he has full confidence in Johnson, Brunt, Cargill, MacDonald in defence.
For all free kicks Flint comes back to help out, Nigel makes it simple stop the cross or deal with it, The game is over we move on.
some fans have this idea that we have a divine right to Automatic promotion 46 games is a very hard slog.
And could go until the last game of the season.
I thought we gave it 100% and thats all they can do, after all we are very much in the promotion mix
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:14 pm

HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:22 am

HU7stag wrote:Image

Too deep for me to understand being of little brain....someone explain or translate please??
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby zod » Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:06 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:

Too deep for me to understand being of little brain....someone explain or translate please??

Beloved Stalin - The People's Happiness
Is the literal Russian to English translation.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby robeyre » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:13 am

bear 73 wrote:Feel sorry for the players they gave 100% and failed late into injury time when giving them no chance to come back.
Our away fans have had a good season, and now that long journey home with depression and a feeling of loss, taking a couple of days to shake off.
Sharing the highs and the lows it is what football fans do.
Nigel putting Flint up front gives the long ball out a target, and he has full confidence in Johnson, Brunt, Cargill, MacDonald in defence.
For all free kicks Flint comes back to help out, Nigel makes it simple stop the cross or deal with it, The game is over we move on.
some fans have this idea that we have a divine right to Automatic promotion 46 games is a very hard slog.
And could go until the last game of the season.
I thought we gave it 100% and thats all they can do, after all we are very much in the promotion mix

My thoughts exactly, thanks
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby scotsstag » Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:57 pm

zod wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:

Beloved Stalin - The People's Happiness
Is the literal Russian to English translation.

Thank god for Google :lol:
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum