{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Burton scorefred

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Burton scorefred

Postby stagmanrob » Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:28 pm

Given the fact he is not an out ond out striker, his "goal involvements" (ie goals and assists) stats are very good.

Given teams with money will be looking to make that final push, I wouldn't be surprised if a bid comes in for DKD in January. Teams with already decent firepower, with the opportunity to add a top player in the hole behind them - well they'd be daft not to put a cheeky bid in.

If the price is right, he'll be off....where would that leave us then with firepower were that to happen?

January is a tougher window, and if teams know you have a windfall from a recent sale, they ask for over and above the going rate.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:46 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
bear 73 wrote:So we leave our last cup competition and a good source of revenue with a added bonus of looking at our squad and keeping fitness levels up.
My observation is defence fine, midfield fine but short on fire power,
Our fringe players of Swan=Gale=Cooper not progressing as i would have expected, Brunt showing the standard required to progress at this level.
Strikers are vital in our progress and with about 7 games before Jan , time is running out for Swan and Gale.
Oates=Bowery= Akins not enough in the challenges that lie a head.
Come January Nigel has some big decisions to make and scoring goals will be vital.
Cooper found out how far of the pace he was coming against a out of form Stockton, who bullied him.
With Hewitt and Kilgour in the wings our defence and midfield sorted

Has Keillor-Dunn fell off the face of the earth?

Who is this mystery forward we are signing in january who is better than all our forwards? Who are we replacing? If we are replacing Swan then why are we bothering to get 10 minutes here and there and gets starts once every few weeks or so or in a, and I quote Clough here, "training game".

So I will ask you. Who will we feasibly sell or do we just go and get our 7th forward?

Well it wouldn't be a 7th forward as a new signing would undoubtedly free Gale up to go on a much needed loan - in essence we are talking about replacing him in the squad short term. You also have to factor in injuries, given one of our main strikers is extremely injury prone - imagine if attacking midfielder DKD gets injured too? We will then have to rely on strikers who at the moment are simply not performing well enough to start in a top 3 side. I am sure there are plenty of higher level clubs willing to loan player to Clough and I'd be pretty astonished if we weren't looking - the rest of the side is well balanced and if it wasn't for lack of form I'd be happy with the strikers too - we have room and money to strengthen, why wouldn't you?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:09 pm

Rob, I did mean to include loans. So much so I was about to ask if you could read... :lol: turns out I can't type everything I want to say (I do suffer from that from time to time)

My concern is we could get a loan signing from a premier league club just like Will Swan last season.

My main gripe at the moment is how little game time he's got against league 2 sides playing with our 1st team players. 80th minyte it's Swan and Gale for Akins/oates/Dkd etc and both have had very little time learning how each other play and how to set each other up. Gale has had more minutes.

Clough admitted after the game Swan was carrying a groin strain going into the game and then was surprised when he inured it.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby vicar_jeremiah » Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:11 pm

Sneag wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote:Didn't Clough count him in his list of strikers / up front players in his start of the season interview?

If a midfielder scores 20+ in a season & the strikers only get 10ish each does it matter.

We did okay with Liam Lawrence as top scorer (until his brain fart in Cardiff)

if DKD gets 20 goals and our current strikers get 10 each then as well as being astonished I'll show my backside to the Quarry Lane.
vicar_jeremiah
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby vicar_jeremiah » Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:15 pm

Rob wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
bear 73 wrote:So we leave our last cup competition and a good source of revenue with a added bonus of looking at our squad and keeping fitness levels up.
Our fringe players of Swan=Gale=Cooper not progressing as i would have expected, Brunt showing the standard required to progress at this level.
Strikers are vital in our progress and with about 7 games before Jan , time is running out for Swan and Gale.
Come January Nigel has some big decisions to make and scoring goals will be vital.
Cooper found out how far of the pace he was coming against a out of form Stockton, who bullied him.

Who is this mystery forward we are signing in january who is better than all our forwards? Who are we replacing? If we are replacing Swan then why are we bothering to get 10 minutes here and there and gets starts once every few weeks or so or in a, and I quote Clough here, "training game".

So I will ask you. Who will we feasibly sell or do we just go and get our 7th forward?

Well it wouldn't be a 7th forward as a new signing would undoubtedly free Gale up to go on a much needed loan - in essence we are talking about replacing him in the squad short term. You also have to factor in injuries, given one of our main strikers is extremely injury prone - imagine if attacking midfielder DKD gets injured too? We will then have to rely on strikers who at the moment are simply not performing well enough to start in a top 3 side. I am sure there are plenty of higher level clubs willing to loan player to Clough and I'd be pretty astonished if we weren't looking - the rest of the side is well balanced and if it wasn't for lack of form I'd be happy with the strikers too - we have room and money to strengthen, why wouldn't you?

Not often I say this about your posts Rob (ok never) , but that is quality
vicar_jeremiah
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:15 pm

chimneyboy wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
chimneyboy wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

DKD is a midfielder

An attacking midfielder that has played CF more than a handful of times and our leading scorer.

and therein lies the point, a midfielder is our leading scorer......

And where are we in the league?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:17 pm

chimneyboy wrote:
Sneag wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote:Didn't Clough count him in his list of strikers / up front players in his start of the season interview?

If a midfielder scores 20+ in a season & the strikers only get 10ish each does it matter.

if DKD gets 20 goals and our current strikers get 10 each then as well as being astonished I'll show my backside to the Quarry Lane.

Goals: Keillor-Dunn 11, Akins 7, Oates 4,

I think they will get to 20, 10, 10. But I really don't want to see your backside.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:24 pm

I think it all depends on how Akins performs following his facial injury. We may need to bring a similar player in during the Jan transfer window and let either Gale and Swan out on loan (which would benefit them). I think we only need a tweak in Jan. Sometimes a major change can derail promotion even when bringing in a top player, as we experienced under Flitcroft.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:26 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
chimneyboy wrote:
Sneag wrote:

Goals: Keillor-Dunn 11, Akins 7, Oates 4,

I think they will get to 20, 10, 10. But I really don't want to see your backside.

Definitely Martin, was bad enough seeing Nigel's on tv the other night, and I don't mean our manager. :lol:
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:46 pm

chimneyboy wrote:
Rob wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

Not often I say this about your posts Rob (ok never) , but that is quality

Well you are allowed to be right once, this might just be that occasion :lol:

Andy is right, we just need a minor tweak, nothing major, the squad is good, just a couple of players a bit off form.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:13 pm

chimneyboy wrote:
Sneag wrote:

Make sure you wipe thoroughly Chimmers

DKD has 11 in 17 = 30
Akins 7 in 17 = 19

If Oates stays fit, he'll be good for 10.

I wouldn't even write Swan off yet, all strikers have lean spells.

As a team we are on schedule to score 84 league goals this year. Not too shabby. ;)
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby vicar_jeremiah » Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:01 pm

At the end of the day we all want a top three finish, lets do it
vicar_jeremiah
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Dan » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:45 pm

Dan