{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Its Ok not to be Ok

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Its Ok not to be Ok

Postby Dan » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:43 pm

Monday morning soon, keep your heads up and remember it'll soon be Saturday again.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:01 pm

Dan wrote:Monday morning soon, keep your heads up and remember it'll soon be Saturday again.

Will you be following County away on Saturday. ;) ;)
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:08 pm

Dan wrote:Monday morning soon, keep your heads up and remember it'll soon be Saturday again.

It's not good to be living weekend to weekend...
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:02 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:

If it’s the only way to get through life then you have no choice.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:03 am

part time pete wrote:

Will you be following County away on Saturday. ;) ;)

I certainly will and I will be hoping that they get smashed :D
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby SeanieStag » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:13 am

Dan wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:

We all need something to get us through the bad times. If the light at the end of the tunnel is a Stags match or the weekend in general, so be it. It’s a starting point and something to build on.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dan » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:15 am

SeanieStag wrote:
Dan wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:

We all need something to get us through the bad times. If the light at the end of the tunnel is a Stags match or the weekend in general, so be it. It’s a starting point and something to build on.

100%.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:17 am

Then there is clearly issues that need addressing and that needs something done about it.

Job change, hobby change whatever it may be.

Everyone enjoys downtime on the weekend but if it's the only thing that's keeping your head above water being depressed all week, then it's really a bad sign and not a good cycle to be in. Especially if beer is involved..

Go and talk to someone professional
Last edited by PEAR CIDER on Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:51 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:Then there is clearly issues that need addressing and that needs something done about it.

Job change, hobby change whatever it may be.

Everyone enjoys downtime on the weekend but if it's the only thing that's keeping your head above water being depressed all week, then it's really a bad sign and not a good cycle to be in. Especially if beer is involved..

Go and talk to someone professional

Well I’m teetotal and always have been so I can’t talk for anyone else. But I have spent many years just looking forward to Saturday afternoon to help me get through the week and I know I’m not alone in that. It’s very easy to say change job or hobby etc but it’s very difficult to do it when you are ill.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:11 am

Been doing CBT therapy. Highly recommend.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:03 am

ParisStag wrote:Been doing CBT therapy. Highly recommend.

https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/talkin ... /overview/

A link to what CBT is, as I had no idea.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:09 am

part time pete wrote:
ParisStag wrote:Been doing CBT therapy. Highly recommend.

https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/talkin ... /overview/

A link to what CBT is, as I had no idea.

Talking Therapies. We signpost a lot of our service users to it.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Elkesley Stag » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:45 pm

Thought long and hard about posting this because I’m sure some will take it the wrong way . I fully understand the world is changing for the better regarding mental health issues and the majority of people are far more thoughtful and supportive. Hopefully the education continues . I am retiring from work shortly and for the past 6 months I have had two 18 year olds learning the basics of my job. One of them has emotional issues and feels very insecure. There have been many challenges .Whenever we have issues with the lad the younger members of staff are very supportive and the dinosaurs leave them to it . This isn’t because we don’t care it’s because the world we grew up did not prepare us for these situations and younger people have a more natural empathy.The point I am trying to make is that if someone appears to be uncaring, unhelpful or distant that may not be true. They may simply realise other people are better suited to the challenge while others take longer to adapt and express themselves.
Elkesley Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:53 pm

Great Post. Doesn't help that children are molly coddled in school these days. I've noticed such a huge difference in my 20 year career of thr calibre of person coming through the ranks. Social media being a big part of this

More sensitive, Self entitlement, can't handle real life pressures and pressure of what real life is. Almost set up to fail and don't understand hard work.

Mental health will come in all forms and variations with many triggers and reasons different for different people.

I feel the older generation have a different type of mental health problem, where as the younger generation struggle to adapt to adult life.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby yaxhamstag » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:17 pm

Elkesley Stag wrote:Thought long and hard about posting this because I’m sure some will take it the wrong way . I fully understand the world is changing for the better regarding mental health issues and the majority of people are far more thoughtful and supportive. Hopefully the education continues . I am retiring from work shortly and for the past 6 months I have had two 18 year olds learning the basics of my job. One of them has emotional issues and feels very insecure. There have been many challenges .Whenever we have issues with the lad the younger members of staff are very supportive and the dinosaurs leave them to it . This isn’t because we don’t care it’s because the world we grew up did not prepare us for these situations and younger people have a more natural empathy.The point I am trying to make is that if someone appears to be uncaring, unhelpful or distant that may not be true. They may simply realise other people are better suited to the challenge while others take longer to adapt and express themselves.

Great post Elkesley. Very thought provoking and a really interesting angle on the topic.
A careful man tries to dodge the bullets, while a happy man takes a walk
yaxhamstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Johnny Rotten » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:58 pm

A while ago at work I was shared a document detailing the Japanese concept to improve work and life known as "Ikigai".

It's something I refer back to periodically and having looked it up earlier today it's perhaps apt to add to this ongoing conversation.
@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny Rotten » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:00 pm

@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:42 am

Elkesley Stag wrote:Thought long and hard about posting this because I’m sure some will take it the wrong way . I fully understand the world is changing for the better regarding mental health issues and the majority of people are far more thoughtful and supportive. Hopefully the education continues . I am retiring from work shortly and for the past 6 months I have had two 18 year olds learning the basics of my job. One of them has emotional issues and feels very insecure. There have been many challenges .Whenever we have issues with the lad the younger members of staff are very supportive and the dinosaurs leave them to it . This isn’t because we don’t care it’s because the world we grew up did not prepare us for these situations and younger people have a more natural empathy.The point I am trying to make is that if someone appears to be uncaring, unhelpful or distant that may not be true. They may simply realise other people are better suited to the challenge while others take longer to adapt and express themselves.

Brilliant post that is and a very sensible and pragmatic view. A lot of people who have never gone through it simply don’t know or can’t understand what it’s about. The amount of ignorant comments I’ve heard is incredible. I actually had someone say to me when I was suffering “how long are you going to be like that for?” Others just ridicule people when they say they’re struggling with their mental health simply because they have never had it, don’t understand it or don’t believe it’s a proper illness mainly because they can’t ’see it’.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:46 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:Great Post. Doesn't help that children are molly coddled in school these days. I've noticed such a huge difference in my 20 year career of thr calibre of person coming through the ranks. Social media being a big part of this

More sensitive, Self entitlement, can't handle real life pressures and pressure of what real life is. Almost set up to fail and don't understand hard work.

Mental health will come in all forms and variations with many triggers and reasons different for different people.

I feel the older generation have a different type of mental health problem, where as the younger generation struggle to adapt to adult life.

Another great post especially the mollycoddling bit. My son’s school sports day was ridiculous. There were no races because they didn’t want anyone ‘losing’ fgs. So they just got into groups then moved round a circuit of different sports. You lose all the time in life whether it’s in competitions, on your Xbox/playstation games, in love, on the lottery etc so we should be preparing the kids for losses and teaching them how to do it. Not saying ooo no we can’t let someone come last or be a loser. It’s ridiculous and that’s why there are so many bad losers or people out there who can’t cope with it because they’ve not been brought up right.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:09 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:Great Post. Doesn't help that children are molly coddled in school these days. I've noticed such a huge difference in my 20 year career of thr calibre of person coming through the ranks. Social media being a big part of this

I've found the quality of the grads I've managed to be Excellent, some have much better professional boundary setting and ability to say no to senior leadership than I was able to at their stage of my career. Some request a lot of help, some demand more in salary expectations. Some are open about their emotional requirements too. But if you don't ask you don't get. Fair play for asking.

They should be commended that they are shifting professional expectations and doing things you wish was normal 20 years ago when we both started out.

One thing I will say is we do struggle to get them into the office enough. This might be a covid hangover but they need to be in the thick of it to learn by osmosis in my industry. There's also 'out of sight out of mind', if they aren't visible they'll get overlooked and this will impact their progression.

In some cases I think the working practice shift I've noticed is very healthy, but the reluctance to come to work is not.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:18 am

Dan wrote:

Another great post especially the mollycoddling bit. My son’s school sports day was ridiculous. There were no races because they didn’t want anyone ‘losing’ fgs. So they just got into groups then moved round a circuit of different sports. You lose all the time in life whether it’s in competitions, on your Xbox/playstation games, in love, on the lottery etc so we should be preparing the kids for losses and teaching them how to do it. Not saying ooo no we can’t let someone come last or be a loser. It’s ridiculous and that’s why there are so many bad losers or people out there who can’t cope with it because they’ve not been brought up right.

Our school does that, it's pathetic.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:42 pm

I was glad to hear that my two daughters are doing auditions at school for the role of Juliet. One or both of them won't get it and they'll have to deal with that, and we've talked to them about that possibility and will be there to talk to them again when it happens, but it's important for them to learn how to deal with disappointment. The school doesn't do much right, but I'm glad they're not shying away from competitiveness due to fear of hurt feelings.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny Rotten » Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:19 pm

So sad that earlier this week I was informed a former colleague of mine, a young lad, sadly passed away recently. Mental health issues got the better of him. On the face of it he was such a helpful, friendly soul, definitely a trusted and reliable colleague who loved to help people
@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:42 pm

Johnny Rotten wrote:So sad that earlier this week I was informed a former colleague of mine, a young lad, sadly passed away recently. Mental health issues got the better of him. On the face of it he was such a helpful, friendly soul, definitely a trusted and reliable colleague who loved to help people

It’s usually those kind of people it gets to.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby SeanieStag » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:16 pm

Dan wrote:
Johnny Rotten wrote:So sad that earlier this week I was informed a former colleague of mine, a young lad, sadly passed away recently. Mental health issues got the better of him. On the face of it he was such a helpful, friendly soul, definitely a trusted and reliable colleague who loved to help people

It’s usually those kind of people it gets to.

Too true. People who are dismissed by others as being “a bit sensitive” and whose kindness is often mistook for weakness. I’ve seen too many young lads like this lose the battle.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum