{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Tonights Games

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Tonights Games

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:41 pm

That’s a very good result…anything other than a Stockport win would’ve been bad for us imo. Our point against Colchester isn’t so bad now.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Ad » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:42 pm

Cornwall Stag wrote:Today has put a small dent in the title bid, but like others, I just want promotion and gaining a point on MK Dons puts us a bit nearer to League One

Agreed. COYS!!
Amber Ad
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Spiritater » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:45 pm

6 points clear (7 with GD) and a game in hand. Shirley we are almost there.....
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:19 pm

Overall a good day. Another point towards promotion from a losing position against the League 2 Kings of Shithousery, and Franchise FC dropped 3 points.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:20 pm

Spiritater wrote:6 points clear (7 with GD) and a game in hand. Shirley we are almost there.....

If there were 3 games left, yeah. ;)
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Roger_Sausage » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:29 pm

Exactly, lots of pain and suffering to come yet! Everyone saying they don't want us to win the league, or aren't bothered, I hope they don't regret those sentiments when we're 3rd going into the last game needing a result to scrape through :shock:
Roger_Sausage
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Bradders » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:09 pm

Roger_Sausage wrote:Exactly, lots of pain and suffering to come yet! Everyone saying they don't want us to win the league, or aren't bothered, I hope they don't regret those sentiments when we're 3rd going into the last game needing a result to scrape through :shock:

The point is not that we don't want to be champions; we don't want to wish for results to help us win the league, if they jeopardise our chances of promotion. Sounds contradictory, but today's results were an example.

For winning the championship, Stockport losing would have been good, in that they'd be unable to overtake us by winning their game in hand. But that would have meant MK Dons entering the fight for top 3, and making it 4 teams for 3 places. So it was perfect that they beat MK. We want 3 teams, then a big gap to 4th. Not 4 teams slugging it out.

Ideally we'd simply pull clear of our rivals and leave them to fight it out. But it looks like we're struggling a bit and need help from them.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby jeevesthestag » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:13 pm

Bradders wrote:
Roger_Sausage wrote:Exactly, lots of pain and suffering to come yet! Everyone saying they don't want us to win the league, or aren't bothered, I hope they don't regret those sentiments when we're 3rd going into the last game needing a result to scrape through :shock:

The point is not that we don't want to be champions; we don't want to wish for results to help us win the league, if they jeopardise our chances of promotion. Sounds contradictory, but today's results were an example.

For winning the championship, Stockport losing would have been good, in that they'd be unable to overtake us by winning their game in hand. But that would have meant MK Dons entering the fight for top 3, and making it 4 teams for 3 places. So it was perfect that they beat MK. We want 3 teams, then a big gap to 4th. Not 4 teams slugging it out.

Ideally we'd simply pull clear of our rivals and leave them to fight it out. But it looks like we're struggling a bit and need help from them.

Spot on. Winning the title is a luxury but the results today move us closer to promotion. Yes, they'll be more twists and turns but we are in a great position for promotion.
jeevesthestag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tre Cool » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:34 am

I'm happy Stockport won but the title would be nice though. The Colchester keeper made some great saves to prevent us winning.
I also regret the dropped points against Crewe way back in August, and losing to Sutton wasn't expected.

A league title means a trophy lift, looks better on our honours list and hopefully a bus parade. Who wouldn't want that? We're so close.

Please just don't Flitcroft it now.
Tre Cool
First Team
First Team

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:13 am

We drew with Sutton at home, won at their place
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby Roger_Sausage » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:14 am

Bradders wrote:

I respect what you're saying, but surely we want promotion on our own merit, and not relying on results for those who around us? If it's a 4 way fight then it's a 4 way fight, we should be able to rise to these challenges, much like Stockport did yesterday. Not just whimper across the finish line. Yesterday was really frustrating, we should be seeing off the likes of Colchester with ease if we've got aspirations of competing in League 1 next season. I've already got a feeling of dread about the Tuesday night Forest Green game, because I can see that being a nightmare too at this rate. It's not so much about winning the title for me, more to be promoted in convincing fashion, to build momentum for next year.
Roger_Sausage
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby lifestags » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:54 am

League looks better then I thought it would 6 points clear with a game in hand.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:34 am

Roger_Sausage wrote:
Bradders wrote:

I respect what you're saying, but surely we want promotion on our own merit, and not relying on results for those who around us? If it's a 4 way fight then it's a 4 way fight, we should be able to rise to these challenges, much like Stockport did yesterday. Not just whimper across the finish line. Yesterday was really frustrating, we should be seeing off the likes of Colchester with ease if we've got aspirations of competing in League 1 next season. I've already got a feeling of dread about the Tuesday night Forest Green game, because I can see that being a nightmare too at this rate. It's not so much about winning the title for me, more to be promoted in convincing fashion, to build momentum for next year.

I'm pretty sure that every season sees a club go to the top of an EFL league in February or March and then have to hang on to a promotion place grimly as their confidence takes a weekly battering. It's all about getting over the line.

Achieving that is as proud a moment if the team just about scrapes there, or lights the afterburners and finishes in great style. The latter might mean complacency sets in before the new season, rather than momentum.
Bottom line is, make sure we stay top 3. Do everything for that one target. If we also finish top, then very nice as well.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:42 am

Roger_Sausage wrote:
Bradders wrote:

A team that finishes top three cannot be said to have 'whimper over the finish line' as you are there on your own merit on what happens over the entire season not the last handful of games. Stockport have had a ropey spell too.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby GranbyStag » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:53 am

Hope we can find a way to dominate these negative teams at home, those first 3 games in April all at home could go a long way to seeing us promoted.
Maris and Clarke to start next at Wrexham if both fit
GranbyStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Bradders » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:05 pm

GranbyStag wrote:Hope we can find a way to dominate these negative teams at home, those first 3 games in April all at home could go a long way to seeing us promoted.
Maris and Clarke to start next at Wrexham if both fit

I'm sure that Nigel knows all the tactics for dealing with negative-minded teams who play out of their skins against the top side.
I assume that you get your side to stay back and invite the defensive team forward, hitting them hard on the break once they get frustrated and venture out. Obviously you can't just attack them relentlessly, as they expect, because they'll simply pack the defence and leave no room. A good opportunity to watch the opposition passing the ball around their own half, Notts County style.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag on the Beach » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:38 am

Winning the title would be the icing on the cake.
But we need to make sure we've got a cake ti ICE first and foremost.
Stag on the Beach
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martian » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:41 pm

A pint for all our squad of whatever Falkirk have been drinking ths season
Martian
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Country unwanted record

Postby Elkesley Stag » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:42 pm

Notts will make it the longest run of home defeats in their history if they lose to Franchise FC today. Show some pride, earn some respect and put one almighty dent in the promotion hopes of the Dons . Never thought I’d say it but come on you pies.
Elkesley Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Re: Country unwanted record

Postby broomo » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:46 pm

Elkesley Stag wrote:Notts will make it the longest run of home defeats in their history if they lose to Franchise FC today. Show some pride, earn some respect and put one almighty dent in the promotion hopes of the Dons . Never thought I’d say it but come on you pies.

Now our game is off I'm wondering whether it's worth paying a tenner to watch this?

I can only see MKD ripping through their defence at will.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:06 pm

Barrow losing to Morecambe
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:06 pm

That was a costly 2 minutes in stoppage time for Grimsby.

2 points dropped & Denver Hume sent off.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:07 pm

Creepy winning
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:07 pm

Sneag wrote:That was a costly 2 minutes in stoppage time for Grimsby.

2 points dropped & Denver Hume sent off.

Didn't understand why he was sent off
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:08 pm

Morecambe beating Barrow after 3 mins !
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum