{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Zander Diamond Retires?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Zander Diamond Retires?

Postby Amberheart » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:52 am

CassellsCap wrote:He was awesome against the spirerites home and away

Agreed He will always be remembered for that . Good luck Zander & thank you
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:42 am

part time pete wrote:
Sneag wrote:It's happened with full time pros 'retiring' then going on to play non league.

True an ex Liverpool full back went to play for Kidderminster in conference many years ago but when they got promoted to FL he couldn’t play for them

Wasn't there a famous keeper that did the same? I think his club ended up paying the money back to he could play in the league - was it the R&D keeper?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:14 pm

Jamie wrote:Wow I'm really shocked at that. If he can get fit and play in Scotland then hopefully he will. The fact he's off our books is good news for us.

Why shocked? Both Rhys Day and Luke Jones did it upon retiring whilst at The Mill.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:12 pm

Big yella wrote:
Jamie wrote:Wow I'm really shocked at that. If he can get fit and play in Scotland then hopefully he will. The fact he's off our books is good news for us.

Why shocked? Both Rhys Day and Luke Jones did it upon retiring whilst at The Mill.

Given I didn't know this was quite some common place, I think it is quite shocking and somewhat confusing. Certainly to someone whose had no exposure to sports insurance.

They are getting an insurance payout because they're retiring through injury. Which to most would suggest your paid off because you can't play or earn again from your trade. Yet apparently it's ok to get fit and play a couple of hundred miles up the road, still as a fully paid pro. Just seems odd that the insurance companies would allow this.

Its like telling your car insurance company your car is a write off, getting book value for it, when in fact it's still drivable, road worthy and you'll continue to use it. Obviously that isn't possible as they come evaluate the car. It's all just very odd and not how most people would assume insurance works. Maybe sports insurance is a lot more lenient than house/car/business insurance.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:58 pm

Jamie wrote:
Big yella wrote:

Given I didn't know this was quite some common place, I think it is quite shocking and somewhat confusing. Certainly to someone whose had no exposure to sports insurance.

They are getting an insurance payout because they're retiring through injury. Which to most would suggest your paid off because you can't play or earn again from your trade. Yet apparently it's ok to get fit and play a couple of hundred miles up the road, still as a fully paid pro. Just seems odd that the insurance companies would allow this.

Its like telling your car insurance company your car is a write off, getting book value for it, when in fact it's still drivable, road worthy and you'll continue to use it. Obviously that isn't possible as they come evaluate the car. It's all just very odd and not how most people would assume insurance works. Maybe sports insurance is a lot more lenient than house/car/business insurance.

I was just shocked you didn't know that two players had done it after leaving us?

I mean you are such a clever fella ;) .
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:30 pm

Experts to the left of us, experts to the right...
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:44 pm

Think of it as career insurance. Their career is PROFESSIONAL footballer. Anything National league and below is considered semi-professional (or lower), whether a club is ran as a professional club is irrelevant.

A player retires from professional football and get a payout because they aren't able to play professionally anymore. Should they join a club and gain promotion to a professional league then they can resume as a professional player but would have to return the payout they received. I guess because they claimed on the pretence that they can't play anymore and now can that it is viewed as a kind of fraud?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:04 pm

Jamie wrote:
Big yella wrote:

Car insurance was very different not so long ago. A car that was considered a 'financial' write-off (repair costs more than book value) could be salvaged, in which case you got book value less 10%. Once you had repaired it you could get it MOT'd and back on the road.
I had a car written off twice - theft in 1993 and accident in 1997 - and still sold it to my brother !!
Did the repairs myself each time and made enough money out of the first one to go on holiday. ;)
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:14 am

When he signed I think many thought probably the signing of the season but as always things don't always work out and it is what it is where injury is concerned and sadly Northampton saw the best of him.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby m1cksut » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:00 am

we seem to have a habit of signing crocks.
makes you wonder how stringent the medicals are, sometimes.
my one regret is...i have no regrets!
m1cksut
Manager
Manager

Postby robda1st » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:57 am

Rob wrote:
part time pete wrote:
Sneag wrote:It's happened with full time pros 'retiring' then going on to play non league.

True an ex Liverpool full back went to play for Kidderminster in conference many years ago but when they got promoted to FL he couldn’t play for them

Wasn't there a famous keeper that did the same? I think his club ended up paying the money back to he could play in the league - was it the R&D keeper?

think it was mike marsh and the keeper tony roberts
robda1st
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:49 pm

Would have expected the club to have come out with a statement by now.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:06 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Think of it as career insurance. Their career is PROFESSIONAL footballer. Anything National league and below is considered semi-professional (or lower), whether a club is ran as a professional club is irrelevant.

A player retires from professional football and get a payout because they aren't able to play professionally anymore. Should they join a club and gain promotion to a professional league then they can resume as a professional player but would have to return the payout they received. I guess because they claimed on the pretence that they can't play anymore and now can that it is viewed as a kind of fraud?

So how does that work for players who have apparently gone to Scotland? Were they not professional then?
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:08 pm

Jamie wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Think of it as career insurance. Their career is PROFESSIONAL footballer. Anything National league and below is considered semi-professional (or lower), whether a club is ran as a professional club is irrelevant.

So how does that work for players who have apparently gone to Scotland? Were they not professional then?

A lot of Scottish league teams are amateur or semi-pro (many would say like their national team :lol: ).
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:12 pm

Ah ok, thanks Rob. It did seem daft to think you could be paid off by insurance and continue as a pro in another country.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:13 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:25 pm

Good luck Zander. No-one will ever forget this moment:
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:27 pm

Good luck to him, but hopefully this does mean the manager can strengthen a bit more in Jan.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Chadman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:37 pm

Confirmation story and very sad news

https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/m ... -1-9399629
Chadman
First Team
First Team

Postby cerfjaune » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:48 pm

Rob wrote:
Jamie wrote:[quote="gazza1988]

A lot of Scottish league teams are amateur or semi-pro (many would say like their national team :lol: ).[/quote]

Until relatively recently Queen’s Park were the only amateur senior league team in England or Scotland. The SFA have over the last 10 or 15 years admitted other teams, especially from the Highland League, but I don’t know their status.
cerfjaune
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:31 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:14 pm

Always sad when a player has to retire through injury. All the best in the future.
Being mercenary from a club point of view, I suppose it increases our options in the next window.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:29 pm

Just depends if the club have had to pay his contract up or has insurance covered it?

Good luck to th lad.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:22 pm

If the club don’t have insurance, bearing in mind the nature of the owner’s business, I’ll go to the foot of our stairs. .
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:27 pm

For the SCMP part it's monitored on a monthly basis. Because he's retired his payout wouldn't be viewed as a wage his remaining wages would be paid if he has insurance (I think the PFA sort that) so as of now his wages are freed up for us to spend under SCMP.

In short, we can now use his allocated wages on another player in January.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum