{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:47 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:49 pm

do you agree with many on here that it's time for DF to be sacked, or given more time Martin?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:08 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:do you agree with many on here that it's time for DF to be sacked, or given more time Martin?

we've only played eight games this season so no of course not. However we need to be better than this.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Conker » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:35 pm

It’s way to early, but improvement is needed and pretty quick.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:39 pm

Conker wrote:It’s way to early, but improvement is needed and pretty quick.

We've played 20 league games under his tenure and won 4 of course he's had long enough.
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:57 pm

abc wrote:
Conker wrote:It’s way to early, but improvement is needed and pretty quick.

We've played 20 league games under his tenure and won 4 of course he's had long enough.

There would have to be a outstanding guy lined up to replace him at this stage, no point getting rid with no contingency. This could still go either way quite frankly and today’s results not changed that IMO.

He needs to prove he can get these players to win a couple on the bounce and quick, even if we won it today it would have been far from convincing.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:19 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby DogsDoDahs » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:45 am

To describe the Cambridge goal as Unbelievable is Unbelievable as it was "inevitable" and everybody in the ground with exception of you and the manager knew it. You have viewed the match through rose tinted glasses and we were LUCKY to get away from the ground with a point. Poor poor poor tactics second half and changes needed rapidly or floppy gone. That's the real truth and has been for quite a few of the teams draw performances this season and last. Not good enough dropping down the league table consistently,
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:46 am

Martin, our tendency to concede late goals and inability to hang on to leads is disappointing.

Do you think it is down to DF's tactics or player mentality, or none of these ?

It is clearly affecting our league position at the moment and needs addressing.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:12 am

DogsDoDahs wrote:To describe the Cambridge goal as Unbelievable is Unbelievable as it was "inevitable" and everybody in the ground with exception of you and the manager knew it. You have viewed the match through rose tinted glasses and we were LUCKY to get away from the ground with a point. Poor poor poor tactics second half and changes needed rapidly or floppy gone. That's the real truth and has been for quite a few of the teams draw performances this season and last. Not good enough dropping down the league table consistently,

It was unbelievable as I've described because it was going well wide and diverted into the top corner like a screamer, and because it was the second shot from the same player deflected inside 60 seconds. Had it been a clean strike into the top corner, a proper screamer, I'd have said it was a goal worthy of getting something for Cambridge. It wasn't. It was a complete fluke. Your comment that we were lucky to get away from the ground with a point is nonsense. That said, if you read my report properly, which you clearly didn't, you will have seen that I was clear that we need to be better than that for a number of reasons, which I went through, including and especially conceding possession in the final 25 minutes and allowing Cambridge right back into the game. In that respect, we certainly gave them a chance they shouldn't have had but it wasn't "inevitable". Olejnik was having a good day, and deserved a clean sheet which he would have had without a deflection that gave him no chance.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:15 am

Amber Andy wrote:Martin, our tendency to concede late goals and inability to hang on to leads is disappointing.

Do you think it is down to DF's tactics or player mentality, or none of these ?

It is clearly affecting our league position at the moment and needs addressing.

I think you'd need to be in the players' head to know why. But we conceded possession too easily in the final 25 minutes yesterday, and allowed a poor Cambridge side back into the game. The game should have been put to bed. Hugely frustrating and not good enough.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby part time pete » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:04 pm

I feel the reason we gave them the advantage in the last 20 minutes and let them run the midfield, was that Bishop picked up a knock and could hardly move. He should have been subbed as he wasn't at all mobile.

We were effectively playing with 10 men and had not used any subs at that time and in the end we still had an unused sub available.

Couldn't understand it, unless he feels Bishop standing on one leg is better than any of the other subs on the bench.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby london amber stag » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:04 pm

part time pete wrote:I feel the reason we gave them the advantage in the last 20 minutes and let them run the midfield, was that Bishop picked up a knock and could hardly move. He should have been subbed as he wasn't at all mobile.

We were effectively playing with 10 men and had not used any subs at that time and in the end we still had an unused sub available.

Couldn't understand it, unless he feels Bishop standing on one leg is better than any of the other subs on the bench.

To be fair the subs bench was weak yesterday without White, Mellis or Davies. There was no game changer on the bench and that was a major concern.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:34 am

I am sure Butcher or Atkinson could have done more in midfield for the last 20 minutes than Bishop on one leg.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby london amber stag » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:28 am

part time pete wrote:I am sure Butcher or Atkinson could have done more in midfield for the last 20 minutes than Bishop on one leg.

Fair point Pete.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:15 pm

No player ratings yet Marty?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:21 am

apologies no not yet, due to other priorities. I will do them this evening.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:37 pm

Anderson should have also been on the bench. He has the experience to see games out regardless of what hissy fits are going off behind closed doors
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:42 pm

Chander Lear wrote:Anderson should have also been on the bench. He has the experience to see games out regardless of what hissy fits are going off behind closed doors

We lost 9 points last season from winning or drawing positions with Anderson on the pitch.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Ridge » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:12 pm

And we've already dropped 6 points from winning positions in just 8 games, without him in the team.
Ridge
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:54 pm

Ridge wrote:And we've already dropped 6 points from winning positions in just 8 games, without him in the team.

And you think one player is going to change that? Did any of you even watch him play last season?

That old saying about getting better when you're not playing is really ringing true here. Anyone would think we have the League Two Messi playing in our reserves.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:57 pm

One player cannot change how we see out games, managers tactics and leaders on the pitch can though...Anderson does not come across as a leader to me.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:15 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Chander Lear wrote:Anderson should have also been on the bench. He has the experience to see games out regardless of what hissy fits are going off behind closed doors

We lost 9 points last season from winning or drawing positions with Anderson on the pitch.

9 points in the scheme of things isnt that bad... i know you have a vendetta...
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:20 pm

Chander Lear wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

If having a vendetta is thinking a player isn't very good then yes I do.

There's no such thing as 'having the experience to see out games'.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:33 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Chander Lear wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

If having a vendetta is thinking a player isn't very good then yes I do.

There's no such thing as 'having the experience to see out games'.

Of course there is. Having the mental capacity to deal with it for one. That all comes with experience.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum