{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:42 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby part time pete » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:49 pm

away following 228, Martin
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:15 pm

part time pete wrote:away following 228, Martin

thanks Pete, amended. We were commentating when it was read it and as a result I didn't catch it clearly.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:27 pm

player ratings now on
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Bradders » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:25 am

Rose did well to inspire a bit of a revival, but ultimately failed to actually score - the knack of scoring is what we're missing, rather than almost scoring. But +1 point for his header that led to the goal. Although Walker didn't look great, at least he got the goal, and also had a shot that the keeper did well to save.
Bishop seemed clear MOTM, with quality oozing from every pore - unlike Butcher and Khan, and the (as usual) dodgy defence. The only time I noticed him make a mistake and give the ball away, he had it back within two seconds. The only downside to Bishop is that he hesitates in front of goal too much, and doesn't realise that he might not get a second chance if he doesn't take an opportunity immediately. But then he's not paid to score.
Actually Khan did OK with his general play but the final ball was often poor and he can't shoot with any conviction. He seems hopeless at corners and free kicks, so perhaps someone else needs to share the reponsibility?
Hamilton put in several decent crosses in the first half. Really, it's not his fault if strikers don't anticipate the ball being put across the front of the goal. In my view his job is to get the ball into that dangerous area, and let the strike force bravely attack the goal from there, even if the cross isn't exactly pin-point.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:30 am

Bradders wrote:Rose did well to inspire a bit of a revival, but ultimately failed to actually score - the knack of scoring is what we're missing, rather than almost scoring. But +1 point for his header that led to the goal. Although Walker didn't look great, at least he got the goal, and also had a shot that the keeper did well to save.
Bishop seemed clear MOTM, with quality oozing from every pore - unlike Butcher and Khan, and the (as usual) dodgy defence. The only time I noticed him make a mistake and give the ball away, he had it back within two seconds. The only downside to Bishop is that he hesitates in front of goal too much, and doesn't realise that he might not get a second chance if he doesn't take an opportunity immediately. But then he's not paid to score.
Actually Khan did OK with his general play but the final ball was often poor and he can't shoot with any conviction. He seems hopeless at corners and free kicks, so perhaps someone else needs to share the reponsibility?
Hamilton put in several decent crosses in the first half. Really, it's not his fault if strikers don't anticipate the ball being put across the front of the goal. In my view his job is to get the ball into that dangerous area, and let the strike force bravely attack the goal from there, even if the cross isn't exactly pin-point.

Khan created two chances from set pieces on Saturday, also tested the keeper with a shot. He wasn't at his best but if you look back on previous games his set pieces have been fine, particularly against Carlisle.

CJ's crossing on the other hand has not reached the level of last season yet. His decision making also seems to have dipped on when to run at a defender and when not to. Too many times he has a defender one on one and doesn't have a go, as opposed to when three defenders are tracking him and he tries to take them all on.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:11 pm

Bradders wrote:Rose did well to inspire a bit of a revival, but ultimately failed to actually score - the knack of scoring is what we're missing, rather than almost scoring. But +1 point for his header that led to the goal.

I'm crediting Rose for his acrobatic efforts in stoppage time which were a bit special in my opinion.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Bradders » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:30 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Bradders wrote:Rose did well to inspire a bit of a revival, but ultimately failed to actually score - the knack of scoring is what we're missing, rather than almost scoring. But +1 point for his header that led to the goal.

I'm crediting Rose for his acrobatic efforts in stoppage time which were a bit special in my opinion.

They were very nice, and perhaps against a poor goalkeeper one of them would have been a bit of a worldie. Unfortunately Exeter have a good keeper and neither effort caused a real problem as they were straight at him. Similar to Khan's shot, which counts as "on target" but would hardly worry a Sunday League goalkeeper. Note that Exeter's first goal was struck so much better than our players seems able to manage - in off the far post. I'm sure that any striker spends hours practising hitting the inside of the posts. You score either from getting the ball just inside the post, or via a piledriver of a shot. Shooting for goal, it's pointless going for where the keeper is likely to be covering unless it's moving so fast that he's unlikely to get it. Walker's was probably the best effort of the match as it had real pace and the keeper did well to save.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:39 pm

Bradders wrote:the knack of scoring is what we're missing, rather than almost scoring.

We only created two decent chances on Saturday so I don't blame the forwards especially as we only played one up front for 55 minutes.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:42 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

So special they resulted in absolutely nothing.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:49 pm

big yella, did rose have some fun in the bed with your Mrs or something?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:53 pm

Big yella wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

So special they resulted in absolutely nothing.

in the world that isn't carried out in black and white, you can have a good effort that doesn't go in.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:57 pm

Rose was clearly our best player on Saturday and should start the next game, you can understand DF playing Butcher as he did so well at Lincoln, but I think next time out Rose will replace Butcher and we will play 2 up front.

Worst thing for me on Sat was the crossing, it was truly abysmal, you could have played 6 up front and they'd have done nothing with that service, the one decent cross led to a goal.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:49 pm

Personally, I think the 'poor' crossing was due to the excellent defending. They were on top of our 'wingers' in no time and closed them down before we had chance to cross.

The only cross we got in was for the goal and we got that cross in because we won the back very quickly and Macca crossed it immediately before they had time to close down the cross.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:32 pm

part time pete wrote:Personally, I think the 'poor' crossing was due to the excellent defending. They were on top of our 'wingers' in no time and closed them down before we had chance to cross.

The only cross we got in was for the goal and we got that cross in because we won the back very quickly and Macca crossed it immediately before they had time to close down the cross.

Yes probably a bit of both Pete, we did hit the first defender so many times, so you could say either the cross should be better or the defender was in the right place!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:53 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:big yella, did rose have some fun in the bed with your Mrs or something?

It's not my wife that's having a love in with a striker who hasn't scored in the league since February.

Mussing has stated, adding all his minutes together Rose has gone over ten and a half games in the league without scoring, put a transfer request in and refused to withdraw it, yet, some on here think he is the Messiah . Meanwhile in his first ten appearances for us Walker has scored seven goals, however those same Messiah lovers do nothing but slag him off.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:14 am

Big yella wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:big yella, did rose have some fun in the bed with your Mrs or something?

It's not my wife that's having a love in with a striker who hasn't scored in the league since February.

Mussing has stated, adding all his minutes together Rose has gone over ten and a half games in the league without scoring, put a transfer request in and refused to withdraw it, yet, some on here think he is the Messiah . Meanwhile in his first ten appearances for us Walker has scored seven goals, however those same Messiah lovers do nothing but slag him off.

Don' be ridiculous, Flipflop is the Messiah !!!
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:08 pm

Big yella wrote:

if you're referring to me slagging walker off then you're wrong as I have never done such thing.

I was just having a laugh because every other post I see of yours is harshly criticising rose and its boring.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:32 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Big yella wrote:

if you're referring to me slagging walker off then you're wrong as I have never done such thing.

I was just having a laugh because every other post I see of yours is harshly criticising rose and its boring.

Hardly every other post and as for harsh. Rose has made 94 appearances for us and scored 28 times, just under 1:4, in his whole career he has made 192 appearances and scored 49 times again 1:4.

Rose is a bang average striker, I'm afraid it isn't me being harshly critical, just truthful,but the Messiah worshippers who are heaping on undue praise. Again, 1 goal every 4 games is bang average.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:09 am

Big yella wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Big yella wrote:

Hardly every other post and as for harsh. Rose has made 94 appearances for us and scored 28 times, just under 1:4, in his whole career he has made 192 appearances and scored 49 times again 1:4.

Rose is a bang average striker, I'm afraid it isn't me being harshly critical, just truthful,but the Messiah worshippers who are heaping on undue praise. Again, 1 goal every 4 games is bang average.

Just like DF's record at Stags is bang average, doesn't stop you crying every time someone criticises him.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:37 am

stagsfan6493 wrote:
Big yella wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Big yella wrote:

Just like DF's record at Stags is bang average, doesn't stop you crying every time someone criticises him.

Rose has had two full seasons to be anything other than bang average and he ain't. Try giving DF the same gift of time.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum