{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The Grecians Scorefred sponsored by a Humdinger of a match

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The Grecians Scorefred sponsored by a Humdinger of a mat

Postby Jamie » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:55 pm

Macca is a good player and works hard but lacks the quality of Mellis, Kharn, Bishop perhaps the new lad too.

The biggest disappointment is CJ. We have a dangerous young winger in our sqaud with pace to burn and who beats his man often and with ease. He's grown and grown so far and will probably end up playing up the leagues somewhere. But he's totally wasted at Wing Back. Mal is a far far better defender and whilst CJ tries he isn't half as dangerous in that position. We aren't getting the best or most out of him this season.

We've got a good strong sqaud on paper. Not many id swap out. We're clearly a striker short but no way should Butcher (despite his improvement) this season be starting ahead of Rose at home.

I like how we're trying to play and we're not going to perfect it overnight, but with the investment and ambition of the chairman and how that translates to supporters, DF doesn't have 12/18 months to make this work.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:08 pm

Rob wrote:
adamstag wrote:
Rob wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:So your suggesting Rob we aren’t good enough in the final third with all the investment Radford has afforded DF ??

Today we weren't good enough in the final 3rd, that's down to the players, that apart, not much between the teams.

Adam is outdoing himself with the scale of his over-reaction :lol: I don't think he knows we had 57% possession and more attempts on target, but hey, they're just facts.

Pea rollers from 20 yards don’t count, really. Their keeper made a good save to the left after 15 minutes and afterward was largely untroubled.

Don’t let the fact they scored 2 to our 1 and hit the post twice to our none while never looking like conceding an equaliser confuse you though :lol:
57% possession means squat, what did we do with it. Ah yeah, the above

Don’t let that get in the way of your “facts” though. I hope we don’t have future games using your “facts”

Not my facts Adam, just facts. You are the master of over reaction and have celebrated our clubs defeats in the past, I suspect you are again quite pleased we lost today, gives you some ammo against our manager. Pathetic really.

So basically you failed to answer any of the valid questions while making yourself look daft.

Coming out with rubbish like “oooh you disagree with me and I’ve no argument” so therefore I’m going to come up with some raspberrys like you wanted Mansfield to lose.

Yeah, I come from across the Pennines hoping my team which I’ve a season ticket for loses so I can argue with patronising clowns like you, yeah right.

Get a grip

Pathetic really.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yaxhamstag » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:18 am

Is adam becoming the new bellwhiff...
A careful man tries to dodge the bullets, while a happy man takes a walk
yaxhamstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:16 am

yaxhamstag wrote:Is adam becoming the new bellwhiff...

Hang on.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:39 am

A 2-1 scoreline suggests we were in the game, could we have sneaked a draw, yes we could but that would have been another draw.

Quite simply the international break didn't do us any favours, we looked rusty, add to that the odd formation made to a disappointing result but by no way were we outplayed. Exeter looked OK but did their usually methods to break up the game.

When Rose came on we were well back in the game, if he can't manage 90 minutes then he should start and be replaced after 60 minutes or so, if he can't manage that then he must be seriously unfit. Where was Davies? I've haven't read anything to suggest he was injured.

Whilst Walker scored he offers very little, not a game changer - he appears to be the first name on the team sheet regardless.

Onwards to Cambridge, to make this right I think a convincing performance and scoreline is a must.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:59 am

pemill wrote:A 2-1 scoreline suggests we were in the game, could we have sneaked a draw, yes we could but that would have been another draw.

Quite simply the international break didn't do us any favours, we looked rusty, add to that the odd formation made to a disappointing result but by no way were we outplayed. Exeter looked OK but did their usually methods to break up the game.

When Rose came on we were well back in the game, if he can't manage 90 minutes then he should start and be replaced after 60 minutes or so, if he can't manage that then he must be seriously unfit. Where was Davies? I've haven't read anything to suggest he was injured.

Whilst Walker scored he offers very little, not a game changer - he appears to be the first name on the team sheet regardless.

Onwards to Cambridge, to make this right I think a convincing performance and scoreline is a must.

Agree with most of that.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:10 am

There does seem to be this rumour that Walker has to start so many games a season or play a percentage of them, and yesterday does raise that question again.

You simply wouldn’t play 1 upfront at home in yesterday’s circumstances, it was baffling - but if you were going to you’d start with rose or Davies - though the latter was injured.

Only improved when we rightfully went to 2 upfront after 55 odd minutes.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:16 am

adamstag wrote:There does seem to be this rumour that Walker has to start so many games a season or play a percentage of them, and yesterday does raise that question again.

You simply wouldn’t play 1 upfront at home in yesterday’s circumstances, it was baffling - but if you were going to you’d start with rose or Davies - though the latter was injured.

Only improved when we rightfully went to 2 upfront after 55 odd minutes.

I made the point about the selection before the game. I simply didn’t understand one up front. If Davies is unfit, surely Rose plays ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:27 am

Walker is okay as fox in the box type striker, he's a good finisher & at his current strike rate is on target for 30 goals this season.

What he isn't is a target man or a back to the goal hold it up for the cavalry type forward, so to play him up front alone with 5ft tall Khan & the anonymous butcher behind was insane.

I felt a bit sorry for Walker yesterday, the team and formation wasted his talents & I knew he'd be copping flack from fans through no fault of his own.

You could say bad day at the office yesterday, I thought CJ, White, Sweeney, Butcher & Khan were all pretty poor, and while you can carry one or two having an off day it was half the team yesterday.

That said, we set up negative, created bugger all until the game was already lost & got exactly what we deserved from the game.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:29 am

Unfortunately I was called away from the game at half time so I can only comment on that play

I thought it was obvious that Exeter had done their homework on us and had learned the lessons well. After a good start they just wrestled control and never looked back and should have been at least 3 up at half time.

They were aware of players little tricks and turns and had men ready to take the ball when they made them. They knew White always does his little jink and step round and had a man waiting every time. This left us very exposed as their were no wingers to help out and cover. They did the same with Macca and Khan to a lesser extent. I also thought we appeared slow and lethargic but this could have been down to Exeter waiting to pounce.

We should learn a lesson from this and try to get our own players to have more than one trick to play when in possession. If we continue like that we will plummet quicker than shares in Debenhams. We have to understand that teams are getting more information about the opposition than at any time in history and the smart teams use that information to their advantage. Exeter certainly did yesterday.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:36 am

pemill wrote:Where was Davies? I've haven't read anything to suggest he was injured.

http://stagsnet.net/match/reports/viewr ... atchid=944
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bigalstag » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:41 am

They certainly did their homework on how poor, defensively, we are, when CJ plays at left wing back. He is just not up to the job and should not be asked to play there.
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Amberheart » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:45 am

jacobs mouse wrote:Mid table written all over this side.From the manager down to the players we just arn't good enough.very frustrating considering how much money and faith JR has put us.

Agreed ! uninspiring & underwhelming performance & the crowd were quiet
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:23 am

I said better teams would find space down the channels if were playing 352..... it needs scrapping because our "wingbacks" are no where near good enough for it.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:41 am

The two wider centre backs need to be more mobile ones. We need White and Pearce as the wider ones rather than Preston and Sweeney. I'm really baffled as to why Preston spent all pre-season and both games before his injury playing at the middle of the three, only for him now to be playing on the right of the three.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:42 am

Sedgwick wrote:I said better teams would find space down the channels if were playing 352..... it needs scrapping because our "wingbacks" are no where near good enough for it.

True but how will Flipflop fit his pal Khan in to a 442 ?
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:43 am

abc wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:I said better teams would find space down the channels if were playing 352..... it needs scrapping because our "wingbacks" are no where near good enough for it.

Why are you saying 'his pal' like he hasn't been our most effective player so far this season? He's one of the best players in the league for crying out loud and already a couple of posters on here are trying to hound him out. Unbelievable.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:13 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
abc wrote:

Why are you saying 'his pal' like he hasn't been our most effective player so far this season? He's one of the best players in the league for crying out loud and already a couple of posters on here are trying to hound him out. Unbelievable.

Most effective ? He's decent on the ball but because he's got no pace and can't tackle he has to play in the hole and is a luxury at times.
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:53 pm

abc wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
abc wrote:

Most effective ? He's decent on the ball but because he's got no pace and can't tackle he has to play in the hole and is a luxury at times.

Let's go through this shall we

Newport - Corner led to 1st goal, scored 2nd and 3rd.
Yeovil - Assist for Preston goal
Accrington - one goal, one assist
Macclesfield - assist
Carlisle - created numerous chances

Not bad for a luxury player. Why would you judge an attacking midfielder on his tackling ability? If you want an attacking midfielder who can tackle, Butcher's your man. He loves a block tackle.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:07 pm

abc wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
abc wrote:

abc, you are so far off kilter with Khan, it makes me seriously wonder if you attend games.

I will add it wasn't Khan at his best yesterday, but he would be a regular in 90% of teams in our league.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:14 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
abc wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
abc wrote:

abc, you are so far off kilter with Khan, it makes me seriously wonder if you attend games.

I will add it wasn't Khan at his best yesterday, but he would be a regular in 90% of teams in our league.

1. Has he got pace ? No.
2.Can he tackle ? No.
3. Can he play anywhere other than in the hole ? Doesn't look like it.
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby tmwilson » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:19 pm

I'd lie to see us go back to a 442 .
Obe .
White Peace Preston Benning
Try Mcdonald out right , Bishop as the holding midfielder with Khan as the attacking midfielder . Hamilton in his best position on the left . Walker with either Rose or Davies . Before anyone moans about Walker . He's scored 7 in 10 games .
I'd have Anderson on the bench for cover down the right .
Flitcroft nerds to start playing players in their best roles . None of this , Hamilton as wing back . Preston out right , Atkinson on the wing palaver . And definitely not one striker up front .
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:44 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
abc wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
abc wrote:

Every team in this league and a lot of League One teams too.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:46 pm

The thing we don't have with the 352 is the winger linking up with anyone, Mal and Cj link up very well together, but in this current formation they have to do all the work in one and are not good enough. For Man City to be good at it they had to have a season of it not working before spending millions on the right two players to do it. I like the idea but its just not for league two most weeks.

Elsnik Davies Walker

Cj ------Bishop----- Khan

Benning Pearce Preston White

---------------Olejnik

Something like that has potential, but never 352.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:48 pm

Funny that Preston were looking at khan too, he can't be as bad as ABC says he is if a championship team were sniffing. I think khan will probably be sold next summer and he will make this club a pretty penny
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum