{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

"Have You Still Got That Stand?"

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: "Have You Still Got That Stand?"

Postby Wilfred » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:33 am

Sneag wrote:If this was going to be a terrace I wonder how much would be required to crowd fund it?
The old North Stand was paid for & built by the fans.

I'm quite taken with this idea. Has anyone any idea of the approximate cost of replacing the old with a new all standing area including loos and refreshment kiosks etc. Is funding it possible by buying a bond that guarantees, say, a season ticket for 5 years? Or some form of financing by a long term guarantee of advertising/corporate sponsorship? I really have no idea about the financing and logistics but would welcome the removal of the current blot on the landscape as soon as possible.
Pessimists are never disappointed.
Wilfred
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:54 am

As an experiment, why don't we set up a crowd funder, just to see what we can achieve?

I'm with Lord Radders on this one, why should he delve further in to his pockets to fund more at MTFC than he already does. Would be interesting to see what could be raised by the fans putting their money where their mouths are.

Something like the stand at Macclesfield would be great.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:01 am

The club will have a figure from the plans drawn up - Accrington Stanley got a grant for the new stand, I don’t know if that’s a possible avenue for funding?
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Vicar Jeremiah » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:01 am

Wilfred wrote:
Sneag wrote:If this was going to be a terrace I wonder how much would be required to crowd fund it?

I'm quite taken with this idea. Has anyone any idea of the approximate cost of replacing the old with a new all standing area including loos and refreshment kiosks etc. Is funding it possible by buying a bond that guarantees, say, a season ticket for 5 years? Or some form of financing by a long term guarantee of advertising/corporate sponsorship? I really have no idea about the financing and logistics but would welcome the removal of the current blot on the landscape as soon as possible.

Would our friends SAG (who like to kick us in the nuts at every opportunity) like the idea of a standing area adjacent to the away end?
Kylie Minogue - God's gift to mankind
Vicar Jeremiah
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:08 am

Wilfred wrote:

I'd say it was at least possible to raise enough to get it knocked down and made tidy. Me and a few mates raised 650,000 for a skatepark down in Gloucestershire in less than a year. The one at fisher lane in Mansfield also was raised by 4 young people that cost 275,000.

I understand not having a new one built but why on earth hasn't it been tidied up!?
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby m1cksut » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:09 am

Wilfred wrote:

to make that worthwhile for the club, it would have to cost well over £2k, with only a couple of hundred ££s going towards the new stand, otherwise it would cut down on future income.
may be in a few peoples range, but not very many would want to commit that much out of their savings, or borrow that much for a third party.
i believe that the supporters club financed the north stand, so maybe the SSA could concentrate their efforts to this end.
a crowd funding page, run in parallel to the ssa effort, a few sponsored walks etc and who knows, even the apathetic mansfield public might stump up some dosh!
my one regret is...i have no regrets!
m1cksut
Manager
Manager

Postby Wilfred » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:36 am

m1cksut wrote:
Wilfred wrote:

to make that worthwhile for the club, it would have to cost well over £2k, with only a couple of hundred ££s going towards the new stand, otherwise it would cut down on future income.
may be in a few peoples range, but not very many would want to commit that much out of their savings, or borrow that much for a third party.
i believe that the supporters club financed the north stand, so maybe the SSA could concentrate their efforts to this end.
a crowd funding page, run in parallel to the ssa effort, a few sponsored walks etc and who knows, even the apathetic mansfield public might stump up some dosh!

As I said above I've no idea about the financing and logistics, M1ck. Like many others I want rid of the Haslam Heap and anything that can be done to progress its removal will get my nod of approval and support.
Doomy started this thread and, as he has intimated, it would be fitting if Stags fans showed their backing and support for the club and the Radford's by whatever viable means possible. "The Doomed Bishop" - a fund raiser worth supporting.
Pessimists are never disappointed.
Wilfred
Manager
Manager

Postby RudyDude » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:48 am

I know it's slightly different but I'm watching Oxford v Coventry on Sky and, of course, Oxford's original plan for 4 stands at the then newly built Kassam Stadium was put on hold, with only 3 being built, due to financial constraints and their position/crowds not justifying spending the money on the West Stand. It's still a car park.

Also, I remember one of my favourite songs sung by our own North Stand to the tune of 'MiLord'
"We come from Bishop Street and we cannot be beat
We are the best supporters the world has ever seen
La la la la la la"

:mtfc:
BLACK LIVES MATTER so I applaud players 'taking a knee'
RudyDude
First Team
First Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:53 am

The crowd funding and a stand built by the fans for the fans would be a great idea.

Do we have the fans who have the professional capacity to help this off the ground? I am sure we do. I for one am for it and willing to assist.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:14 pm

I wouldn’t contribute a penny to any stand while The Leech has any claim on the ground
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:19 pm

bellwhiff wrote:I wouldn’t contribute a penny to any stand while The Leech has any claim on the ground

Must not have faith in lord Radford to pay the final amount in March then? Have faith.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:43 pm

The first step .... before raising any funds ... is to establish the costs of the following:-

(a) Demolishing the current stand
(b) Building an open terrace
(c) Building a roofed terrace
(d) It would also be good for the club to share their plans that they have already drawn up, costs, architects drawings & costs for a new Bishop st.
(I believe that the club has already estimated that a 2,000 seat stand would cost £2m).

Then armed with those four pieces of information we would have a frame of reference to work within.

However, we also need to balance the short-term 'clearance/terrace' idea with the medium/long term plans for a seated stand. (And balance that with a forecast of the financial impact of the loss of 'seated' income versus 'standing' income).

Given all that, doing option (a) would at least be a step in the right direction towards whatever longer term option we go for.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:57 pm

Conker wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:I wouldn’t contribute a penny to any stand while The Leech has any claim on the ground

Must not have faith in lord Radford to pay the final amount in March then? Have faith.

That is irrelevant Conker!!! Faith or not, until the Dark Lord hangeth over the Mill Belly is right imo on this matter.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:02 pm

What if you could buy a life seat. I don’t mean you would have to sit in it. Let’s say you buy a seat for £1,000 x 2,000 people = £2M right!!! But then for the next 5-10 years receive say £50 to £100 off the cost of the season ticket nearly or fully recouping your investment. Would this sort of thing help? Only thinking off the top of my head, it may be complete folly but could help.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:07 pm

Perhaps a £1 contribution every time someone views the 'Lets have a thread about non-league ch*****field' would help?

As for Haslam laying claim to a stand contributed for by the fans; I reckon it'd be quite some time before we'd collect together enough money to actually get a spade in the ground.

Even if it was just enough to demolish and smarten up what's already there it'd be a start.
Last edited by DoomMerchant on Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:08 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
Conker wrote:

That is irrelevant Conker!!! Faith or not, until the Dark Lord hangeth over the Mill Belly is right imo on this matter.

Best go tell John to cancel the Hotel for the time being then.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:17 pm

Conker wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
Conker wrote:

That hotel won’t go ahead until the ground is paid off
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:26 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Conker wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
Conker wrote:

That hotel won’t go ahead until the ground is paid off

I imagine it’s cost a bit to so far even without anything being built.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:20 am

If the hotel is to have a 'viewing gallery', bishop Street will need redeveloping because when there's not a match on, which is most of the time, all the view will be of is that horrible billboard over the pitch. It devalues everything.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:59 am

DF has got us playing football so my eyes aren't drawn to the BSS, at half time I'm looking at my phone to see how many Clownty have conceded and whether Cheaterfield might actually win a non-league game.

The Radford's will no doubt be of the same opinion like all of us, there's also no doubt in my mind they will have a plan to do something about it - if the time isn't yet then we have to deal with that and trust in them.

We have 3 quality stands which are primarily under utilised, once they are fully utilised on a regular basis the BSS will be a no brainer for redeveloping.

Priority 1 is promotion.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:51 pm

Doesn't really bother me tbh.

It's a sad reflection of Mansfield under the time of Haslam, but least it's something we're known for - good for advertising too.

Would rather be in league 2 with 3 stands than Chesterfield with 4
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:39 pm

Get Paul N to put buckets in the Sandy Pate bar and corporate areas on match days , back in the day collections would take place at half time by means of a blanket taken around pitch side and fans would throw whatever change they had or could afford into said blanket . Think most fans would get behind the idea if it’s promoted rightly .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:30 pm

pemill wrote:DF has got us playing football so my eyes aren't drawn to the BSS, at half time I'm looking at my phone to see how many Clownty have conceded and whether Cheaterfield 0 might actually (win a non-league game) score a goal sometime soon perhaps?

The Radford's will no doubt be of the same opinion like all of us, there's also no doubt in my mind they will have a plan to do something about it - if the time isn't yet then we have to deal with that and trust in them.

We have 3 quality stands which are primarily under utilised, once they are fully utilised on a regular basis the BSS will be a no brainer for redeveloping.

Priority 1 is promotion.

There you go, a minor edit was required.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:56 pm

Billy the fish wrote:Get Paul N to put buckets in the Sandy Pate bar and corporate areas on match days , back in the day collections would take place at half time by means of a blanket taken around pitch side and fans would throw whatever change they had or could afford into said blanket . Think most fans would get behind the idea if it’s promoted rightly .

Throw coins into a blanket?

The H&S Gestapo wouldn’t permit that!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:03 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:Get Paul N to put buckets in the Sandy Pate bar and corporate areas on match days , back in the day collections would take place at half time by means of a blanket taken around pitch side and fans would throw whatever change they had or could afford into said blanket . Think most fans would get behind the idea if it’s promoted rightly .

Throw coins into a blanket?

The H&S Gestapo wouldn’t permit that!

As a kid stood at the front of the old North Stand as them old dustbin lid sized 10p & 50p coins rained down was no joke. I think they only did it a couple of times and it was even considered too dangerous for the 1970s. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum