{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

FRT Final 1987

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

FRT Final 1987

Postby Sneag » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:19 am

At a loose end last night so watched this again.

Some things struck me that I never really considered before. There was only one dive in the who game when Joe Jordan went down fairly easily looking for a pen at the death. George Foster beasted Jordan for 2 hours.
As far as I could tell from the extended highlights I have, the ref only booked one player in the 120 minutes, there are several tackles in the game that would be straight reds today and both sides would have had half a dozen players booked.
The quality of play from both sides is quite poor, there are some good swift counter attacks, but the range of passing the pkayers have is quite poor. I don't think Mark Kearney hits a single ball accurately until he slots his pen.
Back passes to the keeper in old vids always surprise me when they casually pick it up. Both keepers also had pretty comfortable games.

I suppose it just struck me overall how much football has changed in 30 years. Players are faster, fitter and more skillful, but as soft as clarts compared to their 80s counterparts.

One thing that was still the same was at 1-0 Stags had some great chances to kill the game off, then conceded a late equaliser after some sloppy defending.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Re: FRT Final 1987

Postby part time pete » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:29 am

With players moving faster it only takes the slightest nudge and they lose their balance and fall over, just a consequence of the laws of physics. ;)
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:39 am

part time pete wrote:With players moving faster it only takes the slightest nudge and they lose their balance and fall over, just a consequence of the laws of physics. ;)

True in most cases!!!
80s football was good but watching back it looks painfully slow.
I remember Grobalaar constantly rolling the ball out to Hansen, who passed it to Lawro who passed it back to Grobalaar....who repeated the move...boring.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:07 am

The sport has revolutionised in terms of fitness and skill. I’ve watched back a couple of old First Division games and it’s like watching a Sunday Morning pub game.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:14 am

Sneag wrote:At a loose end last night so watched this again.

Some things struck me that I never really considered before. There was only one dive in the who game when Joe Jordan went down fairly easily looking for a pen at the death. George Foster beasted Jordan for 2 hours.
As far as I could tell from the extended highlights I have, the ref only booked one player in the 120 minutes, there are several tackles in the game that would be straight reds today and both sides would have had half a dozen players booked.
The quality of play from both sides is quite poor, there are some good swift counter attacks, but the range of passing the pkayers have is quite poor. I don't think Mark Kearney hits a single ball accurately until he slots his pen.
Back passes to the keeper in old vids always surprise me when they casually pick it up. Both keepers also had pretty comfortable games.

I suppose it just struck me overall how much football has changed in 30 years. Players are faster, fitter and more skillful, but as soft as clarts compared to their 80s counterparts.

One thing that was still the same was at 1-0 Stags had some great chances to kill the game off, then conceded a late equaliser after some sloppy defending.

You could well be correct, but I still want to remember it wearing "rose coloured spectacles".

One of our greatest days, we don't have many.

Cassells running himself into the ground, Foster winning an incredible battle with Jordan and the penalties. Great memories.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:49 am

bellwhiff wrote:The sport has revolutionised in terms of fitness and skill. I’ve watched back a couple of old First Division games and it’s like watching a Sunday Morning pub game.

A classic if you can find it on youtube is the 1970FA Cup final replay between Leeds & Chelsea. Some of the tackles were worthy of Anvil v Squinting Cat c1982.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:38 pm

Sneag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:The sport has revolutionised in terms of fitness and skill. I’ve watched back a couple of old First Division games and it’s like watching a Sunday Morning pub game.

A classic if you can find it on youtube is the 1970FA Cup final replay between Leeds & Chelsea. Some of the tackles were worthy of Anvil v Squinting Cat c1982.

Used to watch Squinting Cat quite often when I was younger. They were good weren’t they Sneag?
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:50 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
part time pete wrote:With players moving faster it only takes the slightest nudge and they lose their balance and fall over, just a consequence of the laws of physics. ;)

True in most cases!!!
I remember Grobalaar constantly rolling the ball out to Hansen, who passed it to Lawro who passed it back to Grobalaar....who repeated the move...boring.

What's slower than watching Arsenal or Man City passing it sideways and back constantly, scared of losing possession . Regarding falling over that's a disease that foreign players have brought with them.
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:00 pm

abc wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

True in most cases!!!

What's slower than watching Arsenal or Man City passing it sideways and back constantly, scared of losing possession . Regarding falling over that's a disease that foreign players have brought with them.

You need to Google Francis Lee, may even have some of his 'dives'
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby DURHAM STAG » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:16 pm

Well done for watching it again. I still get nervous watching the penalties, in case we lose !

Another point was that, despite the green playing surface, it was very heavy and energy sapping after 120 minutes. Keith Cassells could hardly walk to the penalty spot, let alone take a penalty. Worked out ok in the end though.
DURHAM STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sneag » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:53 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
Sneag wrote:

Used to watch Squinting Cat quite often when I was younger. They were good weren’t they Sneag?

They were good, but not shy about a two footed lunge.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Empty FC » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:38 pm

Oooooh. What about Stringys header that nearly broke the crossbar.
Great day out. .. Hope we can do that again. (forget the Darlo game, I have). ;)
we're gunna need a bigger boat.
Empty FC
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby ST4GS » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:50 pm

You are not wrong. Pitch surface technology is also a big factor and the tackling or non tackling law changes have cut out all the argy bargy. I watched the 1966 WC final recently and thought my playback had slowed.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:55 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
abc wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

True in most cases!!!

You need to Google Francis Lee, may even have some of his 'dives'

No need to google Franny Lee but that's exactly why because he was unique at the time.
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Field Mill » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:20 pm

Interesting post Sneag. The thing That always brings it home to me is watching the 66 World Cup Final.it looks like slow motion. That said,great players would have been great players in any eta.
Field Mill
Youth Team
Youth Team

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum