{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

WBA Fizzy Pop Cup Scorefred sponsored by Lets Go For IT

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: WBA Fizzy Pop Cup Scorefred sponsored by Lets Go For IT

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:06 am

From what we saw of him last night we should be keeping Danny.

Dont go Danny.

People should write to john radford, let him know that if this behaviour by a minority isnt stamped out, good fans will stay away.

As a young lad it can be easy to be swept up in things at the football. Its an us vs them mentality, this doesnt mean that all of them are racist, just means that they need to understand what it is they are saying, and how it can be interpreted. The older ones should definately know better and these are the one that need to be dealt with.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Onelove » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:07 am

There's an old guy who follows the stags and often finds it ok to shout overt racist comments. No doubt when he snuffs it, there will be a thread stating what a great guy he was and how he followed mansfield everywhere. Well, from my point of view, if paul nyland wants to get in touch, I will personally sponsor the spade and dig the flipping hole myself!
Onelove
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby tmwilson » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:18 am

Onelove wrote:There's an old guy who follows the stags and often finds it ok to shout overt racist comments. No doubt when he snuffs it, there will be a thread stating what a great guy he was and how he followed mansfield everywhere. Well, from my point of view, if paul nyland wants to get in touch, I will personally sponsor the spade and dig the flipping hole myself!

You dig the hole and I will fill it in mate
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:26 am

I didn’t hear any chanting like that only the MSE chant which I then heard the WBA fans chant embarrassing (which it is). Who were the lads that got thrown out were they ours?

Onto the game. I was bursting with pride at the end. I thought we were superb. Danny Rose was unlucky not to score & I agree with others that we should keep him. The atmosphere from the away end was electrifying. I sat bottom left of the stand we were in & the atmosphere from our fans made the hairs on my neck stand up. What a brilliant night. Hopefully we can carry it on in the league now.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:34 am

I heard they were thrown out for not surrendering the beer they had taken into the stand.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby skeglad » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:04 am

Stags 2002 wrote:Why give the morons air time? Unfortunately as is the stags fans way allow the tiny minority to get the airwaves when it should be ignored. We should have joined in with the west brom fans singing "thats just embarrassing" then maybe they'll understand its not tolerated even by our own fans.

Focus on the other 99% of fans who have been impeccably behaved and made for a fantastic atmosphere - the type of atmosphere we should be trying to replicate at home.

People had a go at Evans last year when a tiny minority had a go at him and the way he reacted throwing the toys out the pram - hate to say it but your doing exactly the same thing focusing on the few, when the way the vast majority behaved should have made any stags fan proud. Lets talk about that instead eh? Something positive.

All evil needs to succeed is for good people to do nothing!!
There Their They're
skeglad
First Team
First Team

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:14 am

Got to mention DF's post match interview, love his honesty an he admits his own mistakes like taking Otis off last game. Think he should be given a few years to get it right. I believe in him. Encouraging stuff last night, now take it into the league lads!
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:28 am

Sedgwick wrote:Got to mention DF's post match interview, love his honesty an he admits his own mistakes like taking Otis off last game. Think he should be given a few years to get it right. I believe in him. Encouraging stuff last night, now take it into the league lads!

Completely agree. I think we have a good chance at promotion this year, but continuity breeds success and DF is the kind of person we should want at the helm for the long term, even if our short term aims are not met.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:03 am

Regarding the match, I'm very encouraged with how this team is evolving. It has the ability to play teams off of the park and has bundles of energy. Taking our chances has to become a priority of concern. Despite having better frontline options (in my opinion) to last season we are still suffering from missing guilt-edged chance after guilt-edged chance. I've never know a period like the last eighteen months - we need half a dozen good chances to register a goal.

I have faith in all of our front men but their failings have let the team down over the last fortnight, just like last season's front men did. The craft and industry that's become a part of this side deserves to be winning football matches. Improvement here will determine our season.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:08 am

Mr Grimsdale wrote:The support was fantastic, yet this term removed we have associated with us

Whatever point you have to make can I am sure be made by not making a racist term yourself, shame on you!

Yes I will be reporting this piece you have written.

Before you have the nerve to reply to me, look up the definition of the term you used.

term is usually a racial slur ]
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:40 am

On a separate point, why do we think the atmosphere was so good last night, yet so poor on Saturday?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Vicar Jeremiah » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:42 am

Completely agree big guy, grimsdale is well out of order with that comment
Kylie Minogue - God's gift to mankind
Vicar Jeremiah
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:00 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:On a separate point, why do we think the atmosphere was so good last night, yet so poor on Saturday?

Because we were utterly dreadful and uninspiring on Saturday unfortunately - also uncovered terraces don't help

By the sounds of the WBA game, play like that again and i'm sure the atmosphere will be decent again on Saturday
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:00 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:On a separate point, why do we think the atmosphere was so good last night, yet so poor on Saturday?

West Brom, much like Coventry last season has good acoustics in the ground & is easy to sit all together where people want to sing.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:06 pm

BigGuy wrote:
Mr Grimsdale wrote:The support was fantastic, yet this term removed we have associated with us

Whatever point you have to make can I am sure be made by not making a racist term yourself, shame on you!

Yes I will be reporting this piece you have written.

Before you have the nerve to reply to me, look up the definition of the term you used.

term is usually a racial slur ]

Completely agree.
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:10 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:There's always the same minority element who ruin it for everyone else by chanting crap like this.

Belly you're asking people to 'stand up to it', when not long ago you were the one condoning the 'small town in Asia' chant sang to Luton fans. It's not overtly racist but it has an unpleasant undercurrent.

On reflection, the small town in Asia song is not right. I don’t think it’s overtly racist as such but I can see why it would be construed that way and as such I’ve amended my thoughts and opinion.

I do think that political correctness is too intrusive but it sounds like the chanting last night crossed a line.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:23 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:Regarding the match, I'm very encouraged with how this team is evolving. It has the ability to play teams off of the park and has bundles of energy. Taking our chances has to become a priority of concern. Despite having better frontline options (in my opinion) to last season we are still suffering from missing guilt-edged chance after guilt-edged chance. I've never know a period like the last eighteen months - we need half a dozen good chances to register a goal.

I have faith in all of our front men but their failings have let the team down over the last fortnight, just like last season's front men did. The craft and industry that's become a part of this side deserves to be winning football matches. Improvement here will determine our season.

I concur Doomy. Out of all the changes DF has made, i guess making the team fitter and adapting to his style has been the primary concern. Getting us to play with a back 3 and adapt our midfield formation may have meant we've spent less time working out what to do in the final 3rd, which hopefully will be the priority now.

I could of course be talking out my 'arris, but given how much has changed in the time available i'd guess some compromises would have to be made, and logically it'd make sense to concentrate on working from the back 'forwards'. Hopefully we can resolve the DR situation either way asap, because we badly need a new 3rd choice striker or a motivated goal hungry Danny Rose back on form. Having Khan knock a few in helps massively, but it's not the answer long term
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:31 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:There's always the same minority element who ruin it for everyone else by chanting crap like this.

Belly you're asking people to 'stand up to it', when not long ago you were the one condoning the 'small town in Asia' chant sang to Luton fans. It's not overtly racist but it has an unpleasant undercurrent.

On reflection, the small town in Asia song is not right. I don’t think it’s overtly racist as such but I can see why it would be construed that way and as such I’ve amended my thoughts and opinion.

I do think that political correctness is too intrusive but it sounds like the chanting last night crossed a line.

Fair enough.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:41 pm

Big guy, little guy. On Sat to a certain extent we expected to win. The dulling of the expectation that day sucked the exuberance from us.
Last night we'd nowt to lose so we sang, whether we were beaten or not as on the whole we expected what we got.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:41 pm

On a seperate note, whereas people who chant ractist/homophobic things should be shouted down and reported, there is certainly a "leftist movement" where you can't say anything without someone saying you're saying it in a racist context

Remember someone saying a few weeks back that I was racist as was going to the Asian shop round the corner. It was a shop, owned by Asians who sold fare from SE Asia, lovely place place for spices :lol: - couldn't believe someone would be offended by that though!
Last edited by adamstag on Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:46 pm

Spiritater wrote:

Big guy, little guy. On Sat to a certain extent we expected to win. The dulling of the expectation that day sucked the exuberance from us.
Last night we'd nowt to lose so we sang, whether we were beaten or not as on the whole we expected what we got.

I don't buy that argument. There was no atmosphere before the game, when nobody knew how we would play, or during the first half, when we were the better side and winning the game, or during the second half when the players needed a push. Very strange.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:00 pm

People were more spread out on Saturday, as it was a smaller area compared to WBA, not all the singers could stand together (mainly because some people rock up at 2:55 when the stand is already 90% full).
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:16 pm

My son and I were sat in front of some idiots with mouths like the gutter and the first half enjoyment was totally ruined by their ignorance. At half time we moved to some empty seats out of the way and were surrounded by decent appreciative football supporters. It was a brilliant game and our players gave it their all and I was a proud stags fan sharing comments with the West Brom fans heading back into Birmingham.they said our support was fantastic and so were the team.. to the small minority of morons hang your heads in shame.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:38 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:Got to mention DF's post match interview, love his honesty an he admits his own mistakes like taking Otis off last game. Think he should be given a few years to get it right. I believe in him. Encouraging stuff last night, now take it into the league lads!

Completely agree. I think we have a good chance at promotion this year, but continuity breeds success and DF is the kind of person we should want at the helm for the long term, even if our short term aims are not met.

Definitely my view too. Short termism gets you the Conference, a long term policy of managerial stability and bringing through youth is what we need. DF is the right fit for us, bugger the impatient fans. JR will see us right.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:07 pm

bellwhiff wrote:

We could have just sang you're just a small aston villa. That would have been perfectly acceptable and wound them up regarding a rival.

The question is where is the line drawn? Small town in Asia I usually associate with when we play luton, you are fair in your comments that on reflection its not politically correct to sing. But I wouldn't say its sang with malice - that still doesn't make it right of course.

A song that is meant with malice that we all sing regularly is about hitting a spireite fan in the face with a brick, it isn't racial but again is it politically correct to sing in this day and age with families (of which i include my own) in the vicinity and promoting ourselves as a family club?

I'm only throwing it out there as food for thought in the context of debate before I get shot down.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum