{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Bang average

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Bang average

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:38 am

Watching Evan's football was like winning a meal at a fancy restaurant with a renowned Michelin star chef, whilst sitting across from someone who belches, farts, swears and smokes through the whole occasion; while wearing sandals, a shirt that's too small and a pair of three-quarters length shorts from Jakamo.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby awalkinthepark » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:41 am

Bradders wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote: hopelessly unfit after 70 mins,

I'm not trying to defend Evans' fitness regime, which by all accounts was pretty casual compared to Flicroft's. However, I'm puzzled as to why the facts don't seem to fit the claims about the team being unfit.
People often quote how Evans left the team unfit, and struggling to play for 90 minutes. Flitcroft is quoted as being horrified at the lack of fitness, and one of his immediate changes last season was to get them working a lot harder in training.

But reports from the Evans period show us having a reputation for playing until the final whistle, and often scoring in added minutes. Such as Cheltenham (20 minutes of stoppage time, scored on 90 + 4 despite only having 10 men on the pitch)

http://stagsnet.net/match/reports/viewreport.php?matchid=908

...and Morecambe (90 + 4)

http://stagsnet.net/match/reports/viewreport.php?matchid=909

...and Exeter (didn't score in the second half but were fit enough to see the game out, away against a good side)

http://stagsnet.net/match/reports/viewreport.php?matchid=913

So who's right about fitness? Did Flitcroft's new fitness regime see us suddenly look a lot stronger in the back end of games? Is the team looking more lively than in January?

I don't think those matches prove anything and the claims of late winners against Cheltenham with just 10 men are laughable as you fail to mention that the opposition had 9 men. Our record last season under Evans in the 2nd half of matches wasn't great in my opinion. We lost in the 2nd half (and I an only including matches where we lost points at 90 mins vs 45 mins) in the following ;

Stanley away 1-0 90+1 winner.
Luton home 2-1 89th min equaliser. Accepted we missed an even later penalty.
Cheltenham away 3-0
Barnet away 1-0 85th min equaliser.
Newport away 1-0
Exeter home 1-0 87th min equaliser
Crawley away 2-0
Cov home 1-0 against 10men for much of the game.

For a team with serious ambitions of promotion that is poor and any points gained late on should be measured against it.
awalkinthepark
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:14 pm

scotsstag wrote:The promotion chasing team Evans had winning on a regular basis EVENTUALLY at the end of his tenure was the same one that DF inherited and instantly turned into a relegation form team mate.
That my friend is why my opinion is not biased.. :D :lol:

That's poor by DF i totally agree.

Evans end to his 1st season was only marginally better, despite being here far longer and with far less pressure to instantly get results. Evans also had more money at his disposal, 3 transfer windows and 60 odd games to even begin to show consistency and a team capable of promotion - prior to that his signings showed glimpses of brilliance when they knew their role, otherwise we looked costlier and less appealing than the Emperor's new clothes

That's why my facts are not biased :D :P

But basing it on opinion - it's my opinion that DF's signings have been far more effective and the football better, so far. All i'm saying is DF deserves a decent chance this season and our support in the meantime (ie - to the same level as Evans was), not that he's definitely the man to promote us. But right now neither side can say.

And that's why i don't believe my opinion is biased either ;)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:44 pm

Wil0211 wrote:The worry for me is that we are off the pace (unbeaten or not) and we have not played any of the better teams that will be competing at the top of the table.

Lets just be perfectly clear that it isn't even remotely possible to be "off the pace" 5 games into a season and even if it where (which its not) 3 points off automatic promotion is not it.
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:07 pm

kcassellsfootygenius wrote:
Wil0211 wrote:The worry for me is that we are off the pace (unbeaten or not) and we have not played any of the better teams that will be competing at the top of the table.

Lets just be perfectly clear that it isn't even remotely possible to be "off the pace" 5 games into a season and even if it where (which its not) 3 points off automatic promotion is not it.

Colchester will be too seven IMO.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:50 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
scotsstag wrote:The promotion chasing team Evans had winning on a regular basis EVENTUALLY at the end of his tenure was the same one that DF inherited and instantly turned into a relegation form team mate.
That my friend is why my opinion is not biased.. :D :lol:

That's poor by DF i totally agree.

Evans end to his 1st season was only marginally better, despite being here far longer and with far less pressure to instantly get results. Evans also had more money at his disposal, 3 transfer windows and 60 odd games to even begin to show consistency and a team capable of promotion - prior to that his signings showed glimpses of brilliance when they knew their role, otherwise we looked costlier and less appealing than the Emperor's new clothes

That's why my facts are not biased :D :P

But basing it on opinion - it's my opinion that DF's signings have been far more effective and the football better, so far. All i'm saying is DF deserves a decent chance this season and our support in the meantime (ie - to the same level as Evans was), not that he's definitely the man to promote us. But right now neither side can say.

And that's why i don't believe my opinion is biased either ;)

Although your opinion on the matter is totally different to my own that is still a good measured response MOTC. ;)
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum