{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Rotherham Today

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Rotherham Today

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:21 pm

daddycool wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Another good performance. All I would say is one of Mellis and Khan, at least, has to start. A midfield of Macca, Butcher and Bishop is a bit devoid of creativity. Hayden White has really impressed me this pre-season.

We scored both goals when they were on ?

Yes, the first was a penalty won by Benning after a cross from Hamilton, the second was a finish by Walker after great play by Hayden White. Personally thought Butcher was no better than average, slows the play down which is not good for the 10 role. Wouldn't mid him staying but not as an attacking midfielder.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:28 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
daddycool wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Another good performance. All I would say is one of Mellis and Khan, at least, has to start. A midfield of Macca, Butcher and Bishop is a bit devoid of creativity. Hayden White has really impressed me this pre-season.

We scored both goals when they were on ?

Yes, the first was a penalty won by Benning after a cross from Hamilton, the second was a finish by Walker after great play by Hayden White. Personally thought Butcher was no better than average, slows the play down which is not good for the 10 role. Wouldn't mid him staying but not as an attacking midfielder.

You’re right. Bishop provides the defensive midfield role. We need Butcher (or whoever) to push play forward.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:34 pm

Conker wrote:
ParisStag wrote:Butcher was very good today. Definitely needs taking off the transfer list.

Problem is we are overloaded in that area and he will be on a big wage coming from Millwall, and with Flitcroft hinting we need to shift someone to bring in another defender.....

Butcher/Digby/Anderson, one of them need to go.

Has to be Ando for me. He is inconsistent and didn't show enough last season. Digby and Butcher have both looked hungry in pre-season and I think they've impressed the manager. I reckon we'll keep those two.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:35 pm

injured
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:36 pm

ParisStag wrote:
Conker wrote:
ParisStag wrote:Butcher was very good today. Definitely needs taking off the transfer list.

Problem is we are overloaded in that area and he will be on a big wage coming from Millwall, and with Flitcroft hinting we need to shift someone to bring in another defender.....

Has to be Ando for me. He is inconsistent and didn't show enough last season. Digby and Butcher have both looked hungry in pre-season and I think they've impressed the manager. I reckon we'll keep those two.

The point really is whether any club(s) come in for these players. If they don't, then the players stay.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Jamie » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:27 pm

Have to disagree about Butcher. He looked energetic and hungry today. The most up for it and involved I've seen him in a stags shirt.

Pleased Walker got his goal and it was a nice bit of work but again he didn't do an aeful lot else. I can see us starting with Davis up top with Khan alongside. That enables a middle 3 of Mellis Bishop and Macca.

I'm also a little worried about CJ at wing back. I'd sooner have him in the team than not, but he flourished last year as a winger being fed by a full back. He seems isolated and they weren't finding him in space enough for him to get going. Defensively he's done well but they soon worked out that putting two on him was an easy option as White often doesn't come over to help. I do like that he's always going wide and giving us proper width we've often lacked in a 442, hopefully again lesser opposition we'll be able to make that count for more.

Can't wait for the season to start. Been mostly impressed with the two games I've seen, Sheff U and today.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:05 pm

Jamie wrote:Have to disagree about Butcher. He looked energetic and hungry today. The most up for it and involved I've seen him in a stags shirt.

Pleased Walker got his goal and it was a nice bit of work but again he didn't do an aeful lot else. I can see us starting with Davis up top with Khan alongside. That enables a middle 3 of Mellis Bishop and Macca.

I'm also a little worried about CJ at wing back. I'd sooner have him in the team than not, but he flourished last year as a winger being fed by a full back. He seems isolated and they weren't finding him in space enough for him to get going. Defensively he's done well but they soon worked out that putting two on him was an easy option as White often doesn't come over to help. I do like that he's always going wide and giving us proper width we've often lacked in a 442, hopefully again lesser opposition we'll be able to make that count for more.

Can't wait for the season to start. Been mostly impressed with the two games I've seen, Sheff U and today.

Don't think anyone would disagree with that Jamie, my issue with him is with the ball rather than without it.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:39 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
Conker wrote:

The point really is whether any club(s) come in for these players. If they don't, then the players stay.

Yeah sure, I guess I mean if we have the luxury of choosing between letting them go when a bid comes in or keeping them on. I know it will be hard shifting Ando given that not many teams in this league would want him and those that might come in for him probably couldn't afford his wages.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:11 am

Anyway back on topic, have we gelled yet?

All been together now since the end of June, no latecomers to upset the gelling process.
Looks pretty well set to me. Tight, in tune, fit... what can go wrong?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:18 am

Spiritater wrote:Anyway back on topic, have we gelled yet?

All been together now since the end of June, no latecomers to upset the gelling process.
Looks pretty well set to me. Tight, in tune, fit... what can go wrong?

It wasnt exactly a squad overhaul this season. We had trouble gelling last season with all 15 signings. Weve only had 5 in yhis time and the core of the team is the same.

What excites me is that hopefully the best is yet to come and we've had a brilliant pre season.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:48 am

I think it was good for them to play a more direct side, albeit not a very good one, in Rotherham. Plenty of positives for us: the squad is well balanced with youth and experience, many of them have been promoted before, it's tighter and better quality than last season, they're fitter, the manager has tactics, the team seemed gelled and have spirit. You can never read too much into pre-season score-lines, but you can into the style of play, fitness and individual performances. We're looking good.
Last edited by ParisStag on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:47 pm

I too am worried that CJ is playing down the right.He surely is more effective on the left.Flitcroft's team for Saturday will be interesting.I think I could name nine out of the eleven.Not sure about CJ Khan Mellis and Macca.I would have Khan instead of CJ and play Mellis and Macca together with Bishop.Looks a good line-up to me.Walker and Davies up top.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:51 pm

Still looks like a lack of goals from midfield. Let's hope Khan plays and can chip in with some as Macca continues to offer lots of energy but very little else, summed up with the hash he made of the lovely free kick that put him in on goal.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:35 pm

ParisStag wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
Conker wrote:

Yeah sure, I guess I mean if we have the luxury of choosing between letting them go when a bid comes in or keeping them on. I know it will be hard shifting Ando given that not many teams in this league would want him and those that might come in for him probably couldn't afford his wages.

Anderson is good enough to do a job for anybody in this league, so plenty will want him I imagine the problem is the wages and fee if we are holding out for one.

I do agree with shifting him if we have the choice though.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:38 pm

With Ando, let's say for example he's on £4k here but other clubs will only pay £2k, surely it's better we loan him out and release the £2k so we can get another defender, rather than let all of the money rot in the reserves?
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby FarnieStag » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:32 pm

Well, just goes to prove how subjective football is. Because for me, Anderson is a quality player and he'd be one of the first names on the sheet if I were boss. However it seems that he and Flitcroft have had a bust up and he won't be wearing the amber again.
I think we'll score a lot more goals this season with new striker. Onwards and upwards
FarnieStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby oldweststander » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:27 pm

Anderson is good enough but he is on far too much money it seems.

If we cannot off load him then cut your loses and either loan him out or come to a compromise deal .
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:07 pm

oldweststander wrote:Anderson is good enough but he is on far too much money it seems.

If we cannot off load him then cut your loses and either loan him out or come to a compromise deal .
Jamie makes the same point, which is a good one. Is the problem his injury? I don't know if he still has the injury or how serious it is.

Not long to go in the transfer window, but there is still a chance some of the transfer listed players could find other clubs.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:27 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
oldweststander wrote:Anderson is good enough but he is on far too much money it seems.

Jamie makes the same point, which is a good one. Is the problem his injury? I don't know if he still has the injury or how serious it is.

Not long to go in the transfer window, but there is still a chance some of the transfer listed players could find other clubs.

Anderson's current injury that is keeping him out is a tweaked groin, if I recall correctly what Flitcroft said yesterday.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:46 pm

FarnieStag wrote:Well, just goes to prove how subjective football is. Because for me, Anderson is a quality player and he'd be one of the first names on the sheet if I were boss. However it seems that he and Flitcroft have had a bust up and he won't be wearing the amber again.
I think we'll score a lot more goals this season with new striker. Onwards and upwards

Agree Anderson played wide right would provide some quality ammunition for Davies...
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:40 pm

Anderson was rubbish last season. He should be nowhere near the eleven in my opinion.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby PRL13 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:05 pm

I thought Ando played quite well!
PRL13
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby SINA STAG » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:39 am

Jamie wrote:Have to disagree about Butcher. He looked energetic and hungry today. The most up for it and involved I've seen him in a stags shirt.

I disagree Jamie about CJ found loads of space on the wing especially in the 2nd half but.the likes of Mellis Pearce Benning n even Bishop all guilty of not finding him with an easy pass.... only thing i would like to see is CJ swapping wings n using his pace to cut in....
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:44 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Anderson was rubbish last season. He should be nowhere near the eleven in my opinion.

The only winger at the club that can put a decent ball into the box. Don't think he was used right because the fat man kept swapping the team every week.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:10 am

Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Anderson was rubbish last season. He should be nowhere near the eleven in my opinion.

The only winger at the club that can put a decent ball into the box. Don't think he was used right because the fat man kept swapping the team every week.

Are you forgetting this from Macca?

Or Sterling-James' cross for Rose's second vs Notts.... or White's cross for Rose vs Lincoln? Pretty sure Hamilton got a few crossed assists. How many did Ando get?
Last edited by ParisStag on Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum