{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Think were buying into ,flitcroft

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Think were buying into ,flitcroft

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:42 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:I like DF, but I wouldn't describe him as eloquent. His interviews are a bit painstaking, but he's not honest and hard working and that comes across. I also think he has more of a tactical approach than Evans, who didn't really seem to have any tactics. I wish him all the best. I've seen a lot of blogs etc. putting him down as there candidate to be the first manager in League Two to get the boot.
"Not honest and hardworking" ? I think you've got that wrong Musings.

Sorry, typo, I meant he is honest and hard working.

I thought that's what you meant.

We all do it. Commonly known as Chaditis.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:06 am

Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:I like DF, but I wouldn't describe him as eloquent. His interviews are a bit painstaking, but he's not honest and hard working and that comes across. I also think he has more of a tactical approach than Evans, who didn't really seem to have any tactics. I wish him all the best. I've seen a lot of blogs etc. putting him down as there candidate to be the first manager in League Two to get the boot.
"Not honest and hardworking" ? I think you've got that wrong Musings.

Sorry, typo, I meant he is honest and hard working.

I thought that's what you meant.

We all do it. Commonly known as Chaditis.

Or Trumpism
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:37 am

Instead of editing the original, I'll just leave both versions out there, then I can say I was right either way :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:23 am

I agree, he doesn't come across eloquently at all, however the sincerity, honesty and passion to make this work for us all in their in abundance, and that's far more important for me!
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Starstag » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:06 pm

When Evens left last season and DF came in I was quite happy with the appointment as Swindon themself was doing alright and I thought he only needs to steer the ship and we'll be promoted. Then we had such a poor run of games where we lost and drew that many we wasn't just out of site for automatic but also left hoping on other results for play offs. I questioned how is it possible to go from 1 extreme to another? I didn't sing in the stands for his head but wouldn't have been bothered if he walked away.
Now DF has bought some of his own players in and got the current players buying in to his approach I'm chuffed to bits he stood his ground and wants to prove us wrong. DF has us playing some of the best football we've seen in years. I except it's only friendlys and we've had good preseasons before but it's not just the results it's how we're playing, proper football.
As people have said Newport will be a different kettle of fish and we have no points on the board but if we can get off to a good start to the season we'll only improve with the talent pushing the first 11.

Here's to a positive season and hopefully a reward for the Radfords as they deserve it!
Lets see a little mansfield magic.
Starstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:06 pm

If we get a good start to the season, many will forget how we fell away last season.

If we make a poor start the Flitcroft out merchants will be back probably in larger numbers.

Let's hope it all goes well for all concerned.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:10 pm

We must give him a full season even if we start poorly. It’s a marathon not a sprint!!! Imo the football will be better and he will do it.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:10 pm

We definitely have a squad capable of pushing for promotion while playing entertaining football so that's what expected really.

No game is easy but it's nice to avoid the 'obvious' top teams early in the season too
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:37 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:We must give him a full season even if we start poorly. It’s a marathon not a sprint!!! Imo the football will be better and he will do it.

Let’s hope we have a good start - otherwise he will have the usual morons on his back.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:07 pm

This is all a bit premature. He's record to date us awful bare the win at Chesterfield. Yes he gets a clean slate this year and yes the early signs are encouraging from pre season. But to essentially be trying to already rub this in the face of fans who weren't happy end of last season is seriously lacking class.

If he's got us 25-30 points from the first 15 games then I'll hold my hands up and say last year wasn't a true reflection.

Just remember spanishstag, we could be here in 10 games time with only a handful of points and every one will rightly be calling you a clown for backing such a poor manager. Saying how we told you this last year. It works got ways...

Time will tell. Fingers crossed he can deliver success.

I also don't agree he speaks eloquently. Evans did but Flitcroft is painful to listen to. Very monotone almost awkward in his delivery. I'm not saying thats a problem or makes any difference, just saying.

Good luck for the season gaffer.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:31 pm

Just because hes got a strong accent doesnt mean hes not eloquent ,its taken a couple of days ,but his haters are here ,question for jamie who do you think will take us forward if not mr flitcroft , i dont think you can answer can you
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby stags4eva » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:16 pm

Jamie wrote:This is all a bit premature. He's record to date us awful bare the win at Chesterfield. Yes he gets a clean slate this year and yes the early signs are encouraging from pre season. But to essentially be trying to already rub this in the face of fans who weren't happy end of last season is seriously lacking class.

If he's got us 25-30 points from the first 15 games then I'll hold my hands up and say last year wasn't a true reflection.

Just remember spanishstag, we could be here in 10 games time with only a handful of points and every one will rightly be calling you a clown for backing such a poor manager. Saying how we told you this last year. It works got ways...

Time will tell. Fingers crossed he can deliver success.

I also don't agree he speaks eloquently. Evans did but Flitcroft is painful to listen to. Very monotone almost awkward in his delivery. I'm not saying thats a problem or makes any difference, just saying.

Good luck for the season gaffer.

Totally agree with this.

If you look at the facts he had a terrible record since he came last season and hasn't achieved anything yet at the season hasn't started, friendlies mean nothing we should all know that by now.

I hope he/we do well but the jury is still massively out for me.
stags4eva
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Field Mill » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:28 pm

Good luck to him. He inherited somebody else's squad and we bombed. I like what I'm seeing at the moment but I'm still stunned that he couldn't help us to stumble into the Play Offs given where we were when he arrived. That remains a worry.
Field Mill
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:40 pm

David Flitcroft needs to step up to the plate and start picking up three bags of coal on a regular basis for the Promotion Express. He got shunted into the sidings last season with his relegation form despite having a very good and expensive train set to play with. Wins over Championship sides mean nothing if we cannot beat Newport and Yeovil. He needs to improve his win rate and improve it fast.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:09 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:David Flitcroft needs to step up to the plate and start picking up three bags of coal on a regular basis for the Promotion Express. He got shunted into the sidings last season with his relegation form despite having a very good and expensive train set to play with. Wins over Championship sides mean nothing if we cannot beat Newport and Yeovil. He needs to improve his win rate and improve it fast.

My, my!

Aren’t you just a little ray of sunshine!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:40 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:David Flitcroft needs to step up to the plate and start picking up three bags of coal on a regular basis for the Promotion Express. He got shunted into the sidings last season with his relegation form despite having a very good and expensive train set to play with. Wins over Championship sides mean nothing if we cannot beat Newport and Yeovil. He needs to improve his win rate and improve it fast.

My thoughts also TTF. That 12 game shambles will live with me along time. All he had to do was ......well nothing and we would have made playoffs.
Jury still out for PSF mean nothing.

Hope he does well, but time will tell.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:48 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:

My, my!

Aren’t you just a little ray of sunshine!

Indeed Edders, usual suspects posting their usual stuff. I disagree with all of Darren's post above, the great train set DF inherited was so great the clubs doors have been knocked down by clubs trying to sign Evans over paid players! Any manager must have time to bring in his own players, build his own squad. Due to Evans and his poor signings, DF has not fully been able to do this yet, but we have all seen that we are playing better football than we ever did under the bile spewing judas. Not only that, but I now go to game not feeling embarrassed about the disgraceful behaviour of our manager and I actually look forward to our next game. DF will get us playing good stuff and I am confident that results will follow, sadly they may not follow quick enough for the short-termists on this thread.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:59 pm

Steve Evans was not a pleasant character Rob. We all knew that when he became our manager. However there is no doubt in my mind that we would have reached at least the play offs if he had stayed. I think you would even have to concede that. He would have won a lot more than two of the last 12 games.

I wish David Flitcroft well but a lot of Stags fans believe that he made a complete mess of the last 12 games. He needs to start winning games on a regular basis particularly at home. We will probably have the highest budget in the league and the highest budget in our history. This is not a softly softly, catch a monkey situation where if we finish in the top half on a low budget then we give the manager a pat on the back and make noises about him building a squad to have a tilt at the play offs the following season. DF needs to blow the blooming doors off and make sure that the Stags are up there challenging for promotion all season. I hope he has it in him but I have serious doubts based on what I have seen to date.

The style of play is also irrelevant. You do not win points for style. I'm sure most of our fans would have happily accepted a more direct style of play like Gareth Ainsworth's Wycombe, Kevin Nolan's County or Danny Cowley's Lincoln if it had meant that we reached the play offs. Your hatred of Evans also means that you forget the fact that we did at times play very well under his leadership and it was exciting to watch at times. The main problem was that we tended to only turn up for one half and drew too many games. I always thought though at away games under Evans that we would give teams a decent game and be hard to beat which was mainly true. We only lost 6 games last season under his stewardship which was the lowest in League 2. I do not have the same feeling with David Flitcroft. I hope he proves me wrong.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:12 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Steve Evans was not a pleasant character Rob. We all knew that when he became our manager. However there is no doubt in my mind that we would have reached at least the play offs if he had stayed. I think you would even have to concede that. He would have won a lot more than two of the last 12 games.

I wish David Flitcroft well but a lot of Stags fans believe that he made a complete mess of the last 12 games. He needs to start winning games on a regular basis particularly at home. We will probably have the highest budget in the league and the highest budget in our history. This is not a softly softly, catch a monkey situation where if we finish in the top half on a low budget then we give the manager a pat on the back and make noises about him building a squad to have a tilt at the play offs the following season. DF needs to blow the blooming doors off and make sure that the Stags are up there challenging for promotion all season. I hope he has it in him but I have serious doubts based on what I have seen to date.

The style of play is also irrelevant. You do not win points for style. I'm sure most of our fans would have happily accepted a more direct style of play like Gareth Ainsworth's Wycombe, Kevin Nolan's County or Danny Cowley's Lincoln if it had meant that we reached the play offs. Your hatred of Evans also means that you forget the fact that we did at times play very well under his leadership and it was exciting to watch at times. The main problem was that we tended to only turn up for one half. I always thought though at away games under Evans that we would give teams a decent game and be hard to beat which was mainly true. We only lost 6 games last season under his stewardship which was the lowest in League 2. I do not have the same feeling with David Flitcroft. I hope he proves me wrong.

Careful Darren, you should know by now that you're not allowed to mention the two wins from twelve. last season , especially now Mr Flipflop has got us playing like Brazil. Seriously though I totally agree with your post and hope he proves us doubters very wrong indeed.
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Kernow » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:52 am

I think I will sit on the fence. Still gutted from last season. Give me four home wins in a row and I might start to believe, Our league form need’s a drastic change in direction. Jury is out !!
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:40 am

Completely agree, taking in to regard the squad we have and how much it costs anything below competing for the top three (like last season with Evans) is not good enough.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:59 am

Not even Tate & Lyle could produce enough sugar to overcome your bitterness of DF, bud :P

I'd humbly ask you look at Evans last 11 or 12 games of his first season in charge, and we can play a game of spot the difference ;)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:06 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:We will probably have the highest budget in the league and the highest budget in our history.

Your hatred of Evans also means that you forget the fact that we did at times play very well under his leadership and it was exciting to watch at times.

We only lost 6 games last season under his stewardship which was the lowest in League 2. I do not have the same feeling with David Flitcroft. I hope he proves me wrong.

Sorry bud, I just don't agree.

What's the use of having the highest budget if it's already spent by the previous gaffer?

We eventually played well under Evans at times, but his first 30 odd games were mediocre, uncoordinated clueless performances with little sign of a plan

We also lost quite a few the season before with Evans

If anything I've said is wrong please feel free to set me straight ;)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:55 am

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:

Not even Tate & Lyle could produce enough sugar to overcome your bitterness of DF, bud :P

I'd humbly ask you look at Evans last 11 or 12 games of his first season in charge, and we can play a game of spot the difference ;)

His last 12 games that season were nothing special, indeed mid table stuff. W4 D3 L5.
This baring in mind the Scottish manager had the January window to alter/bolster the team he inherited from Muzza.

For Flitcroft the slate's wiped clean for me this season as even if we'd made the playoffs we'd have been found wanting imo.
The Scottish manager for all his bluster never looked like doing what he was supposed to do with the team he'd assembled.

Let's stay positive, after all the last time we went up the season didn't begin too well.
It's where you and how strongly you finish that matters, not the first stumbling, tentative steps on the journey.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:12 am

I'm still of the view that fat boy bailed because he wasn't confident he could get us promoted.

Whilst we were in a decent position when he left, we should have been top given his track record and the money he spent on players, our form over the first part of the season left a lot to be desired, particularly failing to kill teams off - it hasn't gone un-noticed by me that Swindon (Flitcroft) inflicted 2 defeats on fat boy.

No doubt Flitcroft will have reflected on those last few games ad wished he had done things differently but one thing is for sure, he got us playing better football but that failing of not killing teams off lagged over from fat boys reign and remained deep rooted in our games, all of our strikers were guilty of missing 'sitters' during those remaining games. Like many others I was, still am, hugely disappointed we didn't achieve promotion but I don't put all the blame at Flitcrofts door, our league position reflected how inconsistent we had been up to him arriving.

I get all the 'pre-season doesn't matter and all that' but comparing like for like between this pre-season and last there is a massive difference, we struggled last season against non-league opposition, I was still in shock after the Matlock game just how poor we were and that never really improved. The recent Derby and two Sheffield games are light years away in all departments and you can clearly define a style of play and a team playing as a team.

No doubt L2 is going to be different and we won't get the space like we had against DC, SU & SW but the work ethic will take us a long way, more pleasing is the fact he has gone with some youngsters who didn't look out of place, they'll do well in L2 from what I've seen aka Lawrence, Hassell, Disley and co.
pemill
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum