{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Whisper it - but this is looking better than a year ago

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Whisper it - but this is looking better than a year ago

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:46 pm

Agree all the hype has gone and its all low key approach now by Flipper and Flopper and still not 100% sure he is the right man after the 12 game debacle which should really have never happened with a side already in the automatics almost.
I do think he has some issues with some players like Rose and maybe Digby.
But hey what do I know and giving 110 % cent support as always but agree the first 10 games will be either heaven or hell or maybe some light cumulus clouds in between.
I still think he will be gone by Xmas if we are not anywhere near the top 7 and will be hounded out by the fans eager for his head on a pole to be placed in the reception of the new hotel!!
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:28 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Agree all the hype has gone and its all low key approach now by Flipper and Flopper and still not 100% sure he is the right man after the 12 game debacle which should really have never happened with a side already in the automatics almost.
But hey what do I know and giving 110 % cent support as always but agree the first 10 games will be either heaven or hell or maybe some light cumulus clouds in between.
I still think he will be gone by Xmas if we are not anywhere near the top 7 and will be hounded out by the fans eager for his head on a pole to be placed in the reception of the new hotel!!

You need to get over it Tilly - take the dog for a walk, do a jigsaw, eat more roughage, learn to play the flute :P

If DF only has issues with Rose and Digby then he's already streets ahead of how Evans got on with his squad. It's lacks any form of sound logic to blame someone after 12 games, so it must be based purely on resentment. If after 12 games the masses decide 10th place isn't good enough and revolt with vitriol, then i give up
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:42 pm

I am over it Mutiny and just got back with the dog and had a bowl of mixed peas and beans but it has left a bad taste slightly and because expectations for this club, with the cash and high profile of JR and CR, I think this has rubbed off on us all and anything less than promotion over this season will go down very badly again like last time

I do take your points on board and I don't think any of us will walk away but I have been watching stags since 1969 and hope I live long enough to reach part of or some of the long promised land of the Championship.

I hate jigsaws by the way and can't even manage the grandchildrens ones!
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:48 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
tillydog123 wrote:Agree all the hype has gone and its all low key approach now by Flipper and Flopper and still not 100% sure he is the right man after the 12 game debacle which should really have never happened with a side already in the automatics almost.

You need to get over it Tilly - take the dog for a walk, do a jigsaw, eat more roughage, learn to play the flute :P

If DF only has issues with Rose and Digby then he's already streets ahead of how Evans got on with his squad. It's lacks any form of sound logic to blame someone after 12 games, so it must be based purely on resentment. If after 12 games the masses decide 10th place isn't good enough and revolt with vitriol, then i give up

I don't think Flitcroft has any issues at all with Rose, from what I have observed.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby withnail » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:49 pm

Rob wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
Rob wrote:
cerfjaune wrote:
Jimstag wrote:What can you tell from pre season? Overall it feels like we’re in good shape.

We’ve done well against higher opposition but how many league 2 teams will attack like that and leave space? How many will sit in and force us to play differently? How effective will we be versus that style? What will the starting 11 be based on that and will they play together in the same way? Many have said how the second half XL have played differently and impressed in a different way to the first XL.

Therefore plenty of unanswered questions, mainly the first one I asked! what can you really learn from preseason?

If we field 40 players our midfield should be pretty impregnable.

:lol: Not as impregnable if they are all fatties though.

Anyway, I think you can tell a lot from pre-season and I do think it is a good guide - when we won promotion in 01/02 we had a terrific pre-season, soundly beating some top sides. I am quietly optimistic of a good season and of being entertained.

We beat Sunderland 3-1 and lost at home to Middlesbro. Hardly earth shattering

The performance against Sunderland was outstanding, we also played very, very well against Boro. If you read my reports from these two games you will see how excited I was! Turned out I was right, for once :lol:

I remember that pre-season well and the plaudits we received. Perhaps some parallels can be drawn with now; particularly the emergence of young new talent, let's hope the young 'uns can force their way into the first time like Lawrence, Disley, Hassell and Leroy did, after all there's nothing better than home grown talent to excite the fans or build the club.
withnail
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:34 pm

Fair play Tilly. For what it's worth, we all had a mouthful of disappointment to chew from last season ;)

I only hope if after 10 games of mediocrity the Flitcroft Out posse don't unfurl their banners! :P

Each to their own I suppose
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:08 pm

Even if we don't get promotion this season it's not the end of the world. Were progressing well off the field in many aspects and youth players are finally coming through again. I'd rather us take our time and cement a place in L1 rather than doing a Yeovil going up and straight back down.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:24 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:Fair play Tilly. For what it's worth, we all had a mouthful of disappointment to chew from last season ;)

I only hope if after 10 games of mediocrity the Flitcroft Out posse don't unfurl their banners! :P

It won't even take that long! :D
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:32 pm

Dan wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:Fair play Tilly. For what it's worth, we all had a mouthful of disappointment to chew from last season ;)

It won't even take that long! :D

if we lose against Newport, it'll be a nuclear disaster on here :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:25 pm

Didn't know where to put this so forgive me if its in the wrong thread, but who would you guys be more disappointed to lose out of the transfer listed players if any out of Digby or Butcher?

Digby obviously looks like he would fit this system we are playing at the moment and we need as much defensive cover as we can get.

but Butcher has improved a lot in pre season and looks a lot fitter, are we finally getting the Butcher that played in the championship now? Be a shame to see him go if he is starting to show that quality.

Opinions?
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby robeyre » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:06 pm

At present I'd take Digby, purely because we definitely need the cover at CH and right side defense
Particularly as we look good playing 3 at the back.
I'd not mind if we'd also kept Butcher, as you said he's looks much inproved on last season, his head seems in s much better state and he could go on to make a valuable contribution if Mellis is injured or out of form.
As I said if I had to take one today it would be Digby
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:05 pm

I'd be happy if we kept the players we've got now and none went out.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:06 pm

I think they deserve a chance too.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:53 pm

It's daft I know, but the fact Butcher was the first one in the mellee on Tuesday sits well with me. It shows he's a team playet and that he has his mate's back, plus he can play a bit too, otherwise he wouldn't have got where he was. With 20/20 hindsight look how giving Billy Kee a second chance could have helped us.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum