{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Whisper it - but this is looking better than a year ago

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Whisper it - but this is looking better than a year ago

Postby Chadman » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:47 am

Very impressive fitness, attitude, passing and discipline so far - I already feel more excited now than 12 months ago, despite less hype.

https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/m ... -1-9264313
Chadman
First Team
First Team

Re: Whisper it - but this is looking better than a year ago

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:48 am

I think it's whats known as 'going about your business properly!' ;)

I know a year ago myself and many others fell fell for the Evans Evangelism. But in hindsight i'm glad it all came to an end, because the longer he'd been here the more debt / problems we'd have piled up. Makes a refreshing change to just get on with things in a rational and calm manner, rather than have Evans announce to the world that he'd successfully scratched his left buttock cheek and want media/fan recognition for it.

The ground looks so much better without having rose petals showered on the floor where Evans walked. And you can barely see the burger-grease stains from the occasions when they ran out flowers! :P
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:57 am

What year was it ? 1983?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:23 pm

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. We need a good start and to push up to the top of the league from early on. I'd be aiming for 10 points from the first five games in August. COYS!!
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:35 pm

What can you tell from pre season? Overall it feels like we’re in good shape.

We’ve done well against higher opposition but how many league 2 teams will attack like that and leave space? How many will sit in and force us to play differently? How effective will we be versus that style? What will the starting 11 be based on that and will they play together in the same way? Many have said how the second half XL have played differently and impressed in a different way to the first XL.

Therefore plenty of unanswered questions, mainly the first one I asked! what can you really learn from preseason?
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Im not the real OND » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:39 pm

This time last season I said we had a stronger squad, but wasn't sure we has improved the first team.

This year, the players we have brought in will go straight into the first team. I think we're short in defensive cover for all positions across the back line, but the first team looks strong.
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:48 pm

Pretty sure people thought we were in good shape when coxy nearly sent us back down. "oo Fergus Bell and Alex Fisher look great finds off youtube and studer is the keeper of the future, and heslop is the midfielder weve missed"

The thing is you really can't tell anything from preseason. Im happy with what I've seen but I've been happy with absolute trash like above before.

If were around the top three and playing well after 10-15 games then its looking good! Praying for a good start to the first 5 or so games
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:51 pm

softly, softly, catchee monkey

Proceed cautiously or gently to achieve an objective

the really important part of Scouting is to become good Scouts — "wise old birds," in fact. "Softly, softly, catchee monkey!" Not by making a row, but by cunning and kindnes

DF has gone about his business in the closed season...
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:53 pm

Please show me who said Heslop is the midfielder we've missed and I will show you a clinically insane person :shock:
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby cerfjaune » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:56 pm

Jimstag wrote:What can you tell from pre season? Overall it feels like we’re in good shape.

We’ve done well against higher opposition but how many league 2 teams will attack like that and leave space? How many will sit in and force us to play differently? How effective will we be versus that style? What will the starting 11 be based on that and will they play together in the same way? Many have said how the second half XL have played differently and impressed in a different way to the first XL.

Therefore plenty of unanswered questions, mainly the first one I asked! what can you really learn from preseason?

If we field 40 players our midfield should be pretty impregnable.
cerfjaune
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:23 pm

cerfjaune wrote:
Jimstag wrote:What can you tell from pre season? Overall it feels like we’re in good shape.

:lol: Not as impregnable if they are all fatties though.

Anyway, I think you can tell a lot from pre-season and I do think it is a good guide - when we won promotion in 01/02 we had a terrific pre-season, soundly beating some top sides. I am quietly optimistic of a good season and of being entertained.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:05 pm

If after 10 games we're roughly on a points-par with what Evans had last season, then i think most fans will be happy
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:16 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Please show me who said Heslop is the midfielder we've missed and I will show you a clinically insane person :shock:

The campest man to have ever pulled on a Stags shirt :lol:
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:49 pm

I was hugely swept away with last season's hype, and although i was sad to see Steve go, i was probably one of the first who were whipped up into the Steve Evans frenzy, to jump off the bandwagon. I never called for his head but it was clear that despite having a good squad, he didnt have a plan.

Flitcroft who i have admired is a man who i have wanted here since Murrays Mansfield got spanked 4-1 at home. I saw the football that day and was gobsmacked that could be produced in L2.

Flitcroft has a considered approach, which is underlined with immense physical fitness and prowess.

However, we all witnessed last seasons capitulation. We bowed out with a whimper and i began to question what flitcroft was appointed for. What did he bring to the table? Well, give the man a pre season, let him identify where we need new players and see what he can do!

Why would i get whipped up into a promotion frenzy again for, just to be so badly let down. Once bitten twice shy. I tink the term for how i see this season is 'quietly optimistic'.

:/
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:32 pm

50 points asap, priority No1.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Norman » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:20 pm

I’ve known us to have brilliant pre seasons and then done nowt in the league. Let’s see what happens when the real deal starts on the 4th of August?
Norman
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:53 am

Rob wrote:
cerfjaune wrote:

Anyway, I think you can tell a lot from pre-season and I do think it is a good guide - when we won promotion in 01/02 we had a terrific pre-season, soundly beating some top sides. I am quietly optimistic of a good season and of being entertained.

We beat Sunderland 3-1 and lost at home to Middlesbro. Hardly earth shattering
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:39 am

Spiritater wrote:
Rob wrote:
cerfjaune wrote:

We beat Sunderland 3-1 and lost at home to Middlesbro. Hardly earth shattering

The performance against Sunderland was outstanding, we also played very, very well against Boro. If you read my reports from these two games you will see how excited I was! Turned out I was right, for once :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:40 am

stagmanrob wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:Please show me who said Heslop is the midfielder we've missed and I will show you a clinically insane person :shock:

Thats Mellis
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:52 am

Richard Cranium wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:

Thats Mellis

Is that the real Mellis or the one that plays for us? ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:18 am

No one can forget how abysmal he and that talented squad was after Evans left, but he’s got to be given a chance.

I really hope we start at least above average or it’s going to turn quickly for him, I’m not his biggest fan but I will not turn ridiculously early like a lot of fickle fans.

Everyone just gotta remember we all are in the same boat as MTFC supporters.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:27 am

Pssst, shout it - ONE HUNDRED POINTS, ONE HUNDRED GOALS, CHAMPIONS BY EARLY MARCH!
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:36 am

Conker wrote:No one can forget how abysmal he and that talented squad was after Evans left, but he’s got to be given a chance.

I really hope we start at least above average or it’s going to turn quickly for him, I’m not his biggest fan but I will not turn ridiculously early like a lot of fickle fans.

Everyone just gotta remember we all are in the same boat as MTFC supporters.

the Radford's will give DF til Christmas at least, unless we are in the bottom two
more patience is needed
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:51 am

DoomMerchant wrote:Pssst, shout it - ONE THOUSAND POINTS, ONE THOUSAND GOALS, CHAMPIONS BY EARLY SEPTEMBER!

Fixed it for ya, Doomsta! :P

Mercifully it seems like fan expectations are much more rooted this year. I have a feeling we might start off almost undetected and gradually edge to promotion as the season wears on, but for sure we won't have the pomp / fanfare / sloblock associated associated with the Evansgelical one
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:56 am

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:Pssst, shout it - ONE THOUSAND POINTS, ONE THOUSAND GOALS, CHAMPIONS BY EARLY SEPTEMBER!

Fixed it for ya, Doomsta! :P

Mercifully it seems like fan expectations are much more rooted this year. I have a feeling we might start off almost undetected and gradually edge to promotion as the season wears on, but for sure we won't have the pomp / fanfare / sloblock associated associated with the Evansgelical one

That 9-2 record scoreline against Rotherham has got to be under threat........46 times.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum