{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Gary Flitcrofts Barmy Army

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Gary Flitcrofts Barmy Army

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:00 pm

I suppose everyone gets their news these days off of their mates Facebook, Trump's twitter, Farage's interviews and Tommy Robinson's YouTube.

Shame.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:39 am

The first one, yes. The rest, no.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:17 am

Nobody under the age of 25, maybe even 30, reads newspapers anymore. Certainly not a physical copy. Twitter is the new newspaper, a personalised news feed where you can see all the things you have an interest in. We scroll through our twitter feed whilst eating our cornflakes these days.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:42 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Nobody under the age of 25, maybe even 30, reads newspapers anymore. Certainly not a physical copy. Twitter is the new newspaper, a personalised news feed where you can see all the things you have an interest in. We scroll through our twitter feed whilst eating our cornflakes these days.

Really? Well I have two Under 25s who aren't even on twitter, barely use FB and actually talk to people in person, incredible I know :lol:

I still use the BBC, 5 Live and Sky News for my news.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:46 am

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Nobody under the age of 25, maybe even 30, reads newspapers anymore. Certainly not a physical copy. Twitter is the new newspaper, a personalised news feed where you can see all the things you have an interest in. We scroll through our twitter feed whilst eating our cornflakes these days.

Really? Well I have two Under 25s who aren't even on twitter, barely use FB and actually talk to people in person, incredible I know :lol:

Do they read newspapers though?

You can get all those on twitter Rob :D
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:55 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:

As you say, not many read physical papers anymore, but I think the news sites like Sky and BBC are still very popular - I think that is what my eldest uses, the youngest who is 16 literally does not know what day it is :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:29 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:

Maybe in Mansfield but the Metro and Evening Standard are very very widely read down south.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:37 am

bellwhiff wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:

Maybe in Mansfield but the Metro and Evening Standard are very very widely read down south.

Because they are free ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:38 am

bellwhiff wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they're both free newspapers? People mostly read them to pass the time on the tube or bus for something to do. I recently went to London and you're right a lot of people were reading them on the tube, but not many youngsters I wouldn't say. Plus, the signal on the tube/train is a bit of a problem for twitter.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby StaginBlack » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:27 am

old stag wrote:Oh how we miss Stan Searl, he was reporting before lap tops and using his note book and type writer, a real legend.

I made the mistake of sitting in Stan's seat in the press box as a young reporter. Needless to say i didn't make the mistake again!
StaginBlack
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby StaginBlack » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:32 am

Sneag wrote:My ex called round today. She was clearing her attic and found a carrier bag full of all the local rags (CHAD, NEP, Observer & Recorder) carrying stories from the Freight Rover win in 1987.

The quality of these papers 31 years ago was amazing, the CHAD is about half an inch thick and the front page boast of a circulation of 150,000. At that time that must have been virtually every house in north Notts (and it certainly felt like it as a kid delivering them).

The NEP is a broadsheet and the Mansfield based articles are clearly written by local journalists.

Funny thing in the classified, cars seem comoaratively expensive compared to today, whereas property is dirt cheap, loads of houses under 10k in the CHAD.

Back in the 90s I worked on the Recorder when it was a 60 odd page full colour proper local paper. At that time the Recorder, Chad, Evening Post and Observer all had local, properly trained journalists and sub editors. Obviously there was no internet back then so apart from the high quality insightful investigative reporting by me, people also bought them for the jobs, cars and house pages. Shame how local papers have turned out.
StaginBlack
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:34 am

The One wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:

Because they are free ?

I didn’t realise that paying was part of the conversation

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:17 pm

No but it helps. People pick them up scan them then bin. Much different to having to purchase? Not bought Chad in years but think its 75p full of adverts. I pick up Standard when down south but only do crossword then bin it.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:20 pm

The One wrote:No but it helps. People pick them up scan them then bin. Much different to having to purchase? Not bought Chad in years but think its 75p full of adverts. I pick up Standard when down south but only do crossword then bin it.

The Chad is £1.20, and I just buy it to see that I am not in the obituaries :lol: :lol:
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby The One » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:22 pm

part time pete wrote:
The One wrote:No but it helps. People pick them up scan them then bin. Much different to having to purchase? Not bought Chad in years but think its 75p full of adverts. I pick up Standard when down south but only do crossword then bin it.

The Chad is £1.20, and I just buy it to see that I am not in the obituaries :lol: :lol:

Wow £1 20 ? Like I said I don't buy it. I read MK Citizen which is free and decent paper.
The One
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum