{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Sheffield United game

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Sheffield United game

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:52 pm

No free coms? Should be for a friendly
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:32 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:oh joy i see the BBC under 14yrs are down Mansfield, great that’s all we need with dear old SAG waiting to stitch us up, this is only going to end badly

Kicked off at back of Swan then Marketplace according to social media.

Sad, very Sad.
BigGuy
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:57 pm

Sedgwick wrote:No free coms? Should be for a friendly

Commentary on iFollow. It is not free unfortunately.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:57 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Anybody know why Macdonald isn’t playing? Pictured on twitter arriving at the ground but not in the squad.

Macca on the bench. Was an error on twitter initially and on the teamsheet.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Jamie » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:29 pm

First time I've seen us this season. Some promising things today.

Jury still out on Walker and Davies, but some decent moments first half from them.

Preston and Bishop looked pretty solid. CJ, Mal, White and Pearce all did well and looked sharp already.

Mellis did ok but the real star for me was Khan who looks a great prospect.

Of the subs who came on, Angol is just Angol. He was shown up by the young lads work rate when he came on. Atko and Butch, meh... OSJ looked tricky, full of confidence and sharp though.

All in all a good performance. We did well first half and looked the better more hungry side much of the second half.

I like that we are keeping the ball well and in the opponents half. My only concerns are making that possession count and creating chances from it and that we are most definitely a centre half short. The 3 today looked ok but we need competition for those places.

Great work rate and a well deserved clean sheet.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:35 pm

My first game too and must say we look a better squad this season than last. I thought everyone did well but CJ looks good doing defensive duties and in an attacking role. He will bring in a lot of money for us one day if handled correctly. White, Preston and Pearce look solid and Bishop gives Mellis a chance to roam. Only downside for me is the final ball, but Davies looks an upgrade on Hemmings. Finally, Graham looks a real find and OSJ does look very good. First time in Q block too and well done lads on that atmosphere made me feel 16 again.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Mellis our best player today for me, closely followed by Davies. Macca looked much more on it today.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Berryhillstagno1 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:40 pm

Just got back from the game, Derby part 2. I think Flitcroft has developed a very good side here. I was impressed with our mental strength today when we didn't have the ball. We harried and pressed against an average team with very poor finishing. Khan was sublime and Jordan Graham can't be far off starting. He is our extra striker without a doubt, very confident, strong and a future here.The supporters who were unsure about Flitcroft must be seeing green shoots of optimism, pre season or not.
Berryhillstagno1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:45 pm

Mellis and Khan in the same team is a must for me.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:04 pm

My first game too. This team looks far more balanced across the park. The new lads look an upgrade, the players from last season look to have hit the ground running. Emphasis seems to be on using the ball and finding space. A lot to be encouraged about.

A defender away from a potent League 2 side.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:22 pm

My first game also and was very impressed with a number of players.

Khan Mellis and Davis were outstanding for me with the latter putting in a terrific amount of work.

Hamilton looked made for the role and showed his versatility by swapping wings to facilitate the changes. Considering the quality no-one had a bad game but some were a little more subdued than others I thought Walker looked a little off the pace but that is the purpose of pre-season games. Angol didn't seem to want to work as hard as the other forwards and when jogging after an opponent never really looked like he intended winning the ball back. Again this could be due to pre-season but Graham will definitely overtake him in the pecking order if he doesn't get his game together. Graham was the most pleasing player for me as he looked and played like a seasoned pro when he came on. He's strong and not without skill and looked very comfortable holding the ball up. He will play at a higher level and I hope it is with us.

I think we need to score a couple to get the confidence really flowing but I am now much more optimistic for the league campaign. Time will tell.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:29 pm

Derby beat Southampton 3-0, another goal for Mason Bennett. County lost 4-1 to Leicester.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:34 pm

Well done today lads , a good workout..Angol was his usual Clueless disinterested self..by bother with him?..there has to be better out there
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:40 pm

Angol not interested? Really..... the mind boggles

Looks like hes going to be thid years boo boy
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:49 pm

Chris Wilder impressed too. Said we were the better side.

Only pre season games but they are encouraging.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:03 pm

Chander Lear wrote:Angol not interested? Really..... the mind boggles

Looks like hes going to be thid years boo boy

Some people will always be on his back pal and that will never change
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:07 pm

diablo wrote:Well done today lads , a good workout..Angol was his usual Clueless disinterested self..by bother with him?..there has to be better out there

You need to get yourself down to Specsavers :lol:
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:44 pm

I think we have already seen that this manager will play proper football, I love the fact you can tell how we play, you can see tactics, you can see the players know their role, in so many ways very similar to what Southgate has done for England. I hope that this buys him some patience, though I know with some it won't.

I thought there were good performances all over the pitch, but I have to say Graham again took the eye in the short time he was on, he looks like a real prospect, not for the future, but for now. Bishop was everything we missed last season, the one who sat, who controlled and who never gave the ball away, he was absolute class - his presence also meant that at last we could see what a player Mellis can be and in Khan there was plenty to get excited about. Last mention to OSJ, who I thought was exceptional for the period he was on, so dangerous and surely close to a first eleven place.

Very, very, very encouraging.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:46 pm

Thought the performance was highly promising, and completely different from any showing under flitcroft at the end of last season.

The pressing and the tempo was good, the ball control and speed of moving the ball was good.

The forward options looked promising, Davies is a massive improvement on the dud that we had in hemmings. Bishop looked composed and the young graham looked decent when he came on again

It’s a promising start at least
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:03 pm

Davies was excellent today, Walker better and more involved.

Impressed again.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:21 pm

Evans players were good. He just got nowhere near their potential.

Add flitcroft and a few of Evans gaps filled and we'll do well.

Plan A, B and C are all promising.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Berryhillstagno1 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:15 pm

I could never understand why we drew so many games and conceded so many late goals under the last manager. After two pre season friendlies which were anything but I now know why. Fitness, energy and tactics when not in possession of the ball, as simple as that.
Berryhillstagno1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby oldweststander » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:30 am

Angol did ok, worked hard.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:48 am

oldweststander wrote:Angol did ok, worked hard.

Angol did what Angol does best. Strutted round looking the part while barely breaking sweat and ducking out of headers.

The lad has some potential, but until he realises he needs to bust a gut every second he's on the pitch in our colours, he'll continue to get stick.

If you want an example of working hard, check out the young lad who came on up front. Ran round like his hair was on fire.

If we're looking for someone to come off the bench. I would already have Graham ahead of Angol. I'd sooner watch a young lad full of energy and desire than a so called pro who, to me anyway, seems to be stealing a wage.

Come on Lee, show us what you've really got. Run yourself into the ground and for gods sake man up when it comes to aerial balls.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:01 am

Jamie wrote:
oldweststander wrote:Angol did ok, worked hard.

Angol did what Angol does best. Strutted round looking the part while barely breaking sweat and ducking out of headers.

The lad has some potential, but until he realises he needs to bust a gut every second he's on the pitch in our colours, he'll continue to get stick.

If you want an example of working hard, check out the young lad who came on up front. Ran round like his hair was on fire.

If we're looking for someone to come off the bench. I would already have Graham ahead of Angol. I'd sooner watch a young lad full of energy and desire than a so called pro who, to me anyway, seems to be stealing a wage.

Come on Lee, show us what you've really got. Run yourself into the ground and for gods sake man up when it comes to aerial balls.

I agree, with Rose to come back this is Angols opportunity, one I don't think he has grabbed. Graham, on the other hand, has been very impressive.
Rob
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum