{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Sheffield United game

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Sheffield United game

Postby Jamie » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:49 am

Mr Grimsdale wrote:
diablo wrote:Well done today lads , a good workout..Angol was his usual Clueless disinterested self..by bother with him?..there has to be better out there

Here we go again......leading scorer in pre season, and still this :roll:

He's never going to be a running up and down the pitch type player which some seem to think is the be all and end all. Clueless and disinterested? Give your head a shake. Try getting behind the lad.

So what is he then? Not a target man, not blessed with pace, doesn't play off the shoulder, isn't expected to run round hounding defenders (according to you)... so what should we expect or be judging him on? Just goals?
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:01 am

PRL13 wrote:I actually thought Angol put it about a bit more, but the handball? was stupid. I think Digby has great potential. Benning is a lot more agressive than I realised. Butcher doesn`t look bothered or is past it? Silly error by Conrad.

Butcher made few good runs but the pass never came to him. I thought I did alright. Once they’re all on the same wavelength we should be a decent outfit.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:03 am

Jamie wrote:
Mr Grimsdale wrote:
diablo wrote:Well done today lads , a good workout..Angol was his usual Clueless disinterested self..by bother with him?..there has to be better out there

He's never going to be a running up and down the pitch type player which some seem to think is the be all and end all. Clueless and disinterested? Give your head a shake. Try getting behind the lad.

So what is he then? Not a target man, not blessed with pace, doesn't play off the shoulder, isn't expected to run round hounding defenders (according to you)... so what should we expect or be judging him on? Just goals?

He’s a decent finisher and his link up play is pretty good when played in to feet. His goal return isn’t shabby either. There have been a lot worse strikers play for us who never got half the amount of stick Angol has from our fans, but just because he doesn’t chase down every lost cause fans don’t warm to him - probably the same ones who don’t rate Mellis.

He’s a striker, if he scores goals then yes that’s what he should be judged on, regardless of whether he chases folk down - hopefully he does get more goals this year after looking decent in pre season. As someone mentioned his goals per minute ratio was just as good as Rose and Hemmings last season so you never know.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:05 am

The Digby situation is a strange one. He can clearly do the job in the middle of a back 3 so he must be on a big wage for us to want him out.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:48 am

What were people's thoughts on the 3-5-2 system? I must admit I am a bit worried about it. Sheffield United seemed to have an overload every time they were attacking Mal Benning down our left and I lost count of the number of crosses they put in from that side. It was far too easy for them. They should have scored from a couple of them.

I also do not like to see Krystian Pearce being pulled out towards the sideline. I like to see him in the centre of defence. I also prefer to see CJ playing on the left although a 3-5-2 system will leave David Flitcroft having to choose between Mal Benning and CJ as left wing back which is not a bad problem to have. I still think we need another centre half which would free up Hayden White to play at right wing back. I suppose we can always revert back to a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 as a Plan B.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:39 pm

Any highlights?
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Im not the real OND » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:46 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:What were people's thoughts on the 3-5-2 system? I must admit I am a bit worried about it. Sheffield United seemed to have an overload every time they were attacking Mal Benning down our left and I lost count of the number of crosses they put in from that side. It was far too easy for them. They should have scored from a couple of them.

I also do not like to see Krystian Pearce being pulled out towards the sideline. I like to see him in the centre of defence. I also prefer to see CJ playing on the left although a 3-5-2 system will leave David Flitcroft having to choose between Mal Benning and CJ as left wing back which is not a bad problem to have. I still think we need another centre half which would free up Hayden White to play at right wing back. I suppose we can always revert back to a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 as a Plan B.

Last season, with Bennett, Pearce and one of Mirfin or Diamond, the 3-5-2 looked like the obvious shout. It depends if we bring in another centre half. I'm not convinced White is a long term solution there. It negates his attacking strength and defending is his weakness. Its a big call to leave one of Hamilton or Benning out to suit a formation. We are particularly strong down the left.
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:48 pm

He is certain to play 3-5-2 though as he's done it in every game.
He won't just revert back to 4-4-2 for the season.

I like 3-5-2 it releases both Mellis and Khan our best technical players to go and create havoc.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:50 pm

Agree we are weak defending in wide area's, but in both games Flitcroft has adapted the formation to suit and quickly sorted the issue out after 15 minutes or so. For example, rather than Khan playing behind Walker and Davies, Flitcroft changed it so Khan and Walker were playing either side of Davies, lending more protection down the side.

The issue seems to be that the players do not know yet through lack of game time playing the system, which player should be pressing the ball. Pearce/Benning/Mellis seemed to all leave it to each other, or Pearce came marauding out of the defence to close down a wing back when it wasn't his job. It will all come with time.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:55 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Any highlights?

Dan is working on them today.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:24 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:He is certain to play 3-5-2 though as he's done it in every game.
He won't just revert back to 4-4-2 for the season.

I like 3-5-2 it releases both Mellis and Khan our best technical players to go and create havoc.

I agree, I like 3-5-2, always have. You do need decent centre backs with pace, which I suspect is why White is there - a bit like Walker for England.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:35 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:What were people's thoughts on the 3-5-2 system? I must admit I am a bit worried about it. Sheffield United seemed to have an overload every time they were attacking Mal Benning down our left and I lost count of the number of crosses they put in from that side. It was far too easy for them. They should have scored from a couple of them.

Not totally convinced myself yet, and won’t be until it succeeds in the league even though we’ve had 2 decent results in pre season so far. I doubt many of these players have played 3-5-2 throughout a season so they are all learning. if they do it could be successful, but at the minute the opposition have found gaps too easily in my opinion - of course we are playing good sides though.

Quick CB needed to play on the right of the 3 so White can go to wing back, we don’t have another option at the minute that could play that role well enough all season. CJ did Ok there, and others could fill in but not for the duration of a season. Do think we always look better with out and out wingers playing too, but if we get results then I couldn’t care less what formation we play so hopefully it works!
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:49 pm

:)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:21 pm

They are still learning to play the system with 3 at the back. When Benning was exposed early on they adapted with KP giving him support and Preston and White sliding over and the opposite wing back and holding midfielder filling in. This is the way the system is meant to work. Like wise if the attack was down the other side. Preston is obviously the preferred central player of any 3 that we use.
Flitcroft may revert to 442 at times as he did sometimes with Swindon last season depending on opposition or the state of the game.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Dan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:54 pm

Berryhillstagno1 wrote:Just got back from the game, Derby part 2. I think Flitcroft has developed a very good side here. I was impressed with our mental strength today when we didn't have the ball. We harried and pressed against an average team with very poor finishing. Khan was sublime and Jordan Graham can't be far off starting. He is our extra striker without a doubt, very confident, strong and a future here.The supporters who were unsure about Flitcroft must be seeing green shoots of optimism, pre season or not.

I made no secret of my disappointment when he was appointed. However I've seen the Derby & Sheff Weds games and I am well impressed with everything. The team work hard for each other, we're playing some lovely passing football on the floor, we're not hoofing it anywhere, any balls in the air have been meant & have usually picked out someone who has nearly scored (or won a penalty). DF himself has impressed me as well, you can see what it means to him by watching him on the touchline. The major thing which has won me over was his man-management of Pearce when he ran onto the pitch to drag KP away from the trouble. That is fantastic management and I really hope he keeps this style of football up even when we hit a sticky patch.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:54 pm

Dan wrote:
Berryhillstagno1 wrote:Just got back from the game, Derby part 2. I think Flitcroft has developed a very good side here. I was impressed with our mental strength today when we didn't have the ball. We harried and pressed against an average team with very poor finishing. Khan was sublime and Jordan Graham can't be far off starting. He is our extra striker without a doubt, very confident, strong and a future here.The supporters who were unsure about Flitcroft must be seeing green shoots of optimism, pre season or not.

I made no secret of my disappointment when he was appointed. However I've seen the Derby & Sheff Weds games and I am well impressed with everything. The team work hard for each other, we're playing some lovely passing football on the floor, we're not hoofing it anywhere, any balls in the air have been meant & have usually picked out someone who has nearly scored (or won a penalty). DF himself has impressed me as well, you can see what it means to him by watching him on the touchline. The major thing which has won me over was his man-management of Pearce when he ran onto the pitch to drag KP away from the trouble. That is fantastic management and I really hope he keeps this style of football up even when we hit a sticky patch.
I think he has prepared well.

I just hope he gets the bit of luck that most successful managers need.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:19 pm

As I said on another thread I r hope he succeeds

He comes across as a decent , thoughtful individual who really wants to be here

Good luck DF and COYS
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:27 pm

Jamie wrote:
Mr Grimsdale wrote:

He is judged on what he does at his end of the pitch . I didn't say he wasn't a target man, and I didn't say he wasn't blessed with pace either. I actually think he is a clever striker makes space for himself and attracts defenders away from others which might go beyond some.
As has been said his goal return isn't bad despite him never getting a run in the side. Try getting behind the lad. Is it so necessary to analyse people's faults all the time. If he was as bad as made out do you think he would still be here.
We don't need a person to boo or castigate, it doesn't have a positive effect you know. Give him a cheer.
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:46 pm

Mr Grimsdale wrote:
Jamie wrote:
Mr Grimsdale wrote:

He is judged on what he does at his end of the pitch . I didn't say he wasn't a target man, and I didn't say he wasn't blessed with pace either. I actually think he is a clever striker makes space for himself and attracts defenders away from others which might go beyond some.
As has been said his goal return isn't bad despite him never getting a run in the side. Try getting behind the lad. Is it so necessary to analyse people's faults all the time. If he was as bad as made out do you think he would still be here.
We don't need a person to boo or castigate, it doesn't have a positive effect you know. Give him a cheer.

He might perform better without people slagging him off.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:52 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Mr Grimsdale wrote:
Jamie wrote:
Mr Grimsdale wrote:

He might perform better without people slagging him off.
I think he would Edders.

But some on here need to have a scapegoat when things arnt going well.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:14 pm

Giroud for France never had a shot on target in all World Cup games but ended up with a winning medal.
Every oppo manager will talk about him and have a plan to null him.
Hopefully it gives the other players space and time.

:coys:
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:24 pm

chip63 wrote:Giroud for France never had a shot on target in all World Cup games but ended up with a winning medal.
Every oppo manager will talk about him and have a plan to null him.
Hopefully it gives the other players space and time.

:coys:

Correct. Giroud creates space for others, as will Davies for us. Walker will rip L2 defenders up imo.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:39 pm

Forget Giroud. We have the players to frighten L2 defences. Mark my words, we are going to be a force to deal with this season.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum