{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Derby County game

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Derby County game

Postby SINA STAG » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:55 pm

Only one team at the end head n shoulders in fitness that was

MANSFIELD TOWN
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:57 pm

vicar jeremiah wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:Cameron's injury might seal his fate as to whether we sign him?

What sort of injury is it?

Looked like his left knee

Looked like he turned his left ankle what I could see when explaining to DF
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:58 pm

Well impressed with graham
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby robeyre » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:00 pm

Shame about camerons injury hope it's not serious and doesn't affect his availability. He organised the defence well when all the subs were made.
That said very inpressed with both Digby and young Gibbens. I genuinely think Gibbens could be our missed centrd half without any outlay. Be nice if He had Camerons experience to help bring him on
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Berryhillstagno1 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:09 pm

Just got back, what a difference, I now see what Flitcroft means on energy levels and pressing. I don't remember seeing this level last season, throughout the entire squad. Angol, Butcher, Digby and Mellis have shown the qualities that we need this season. Take the two mentioned off the transfer list as they were impressive tonight . CJ at left back is inspired, My MOM was Atkinson. Early days but same players that were poor last season are energised. Youngsters brilliant. For those of you who saw us lose to Swindon last season at home. We played like they did quick, punchy and energised.
Berryhillstagno1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby stagmad » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:20 pm

Only a friendly but that performance was a massive improvement on this time last year,
stagmad
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Stoney » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:22 pm

Graham looks a real talent, so strong and composed for a young lad!
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Kenwood » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:25 pm

Stoney wrote:Graham looks a real talent, so strong and composed for a young lad!

Totally agree pre-season is exactly that and you shouldn’t judge too much.. from most players But he looks like he could be very good, I am struggling to remember a more promising debut performance from a young player.
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:29 pm

I tell you what, he looks better than Tyler Walker who hasn't shown a deal at all yet!!!
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:33 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:3-5-2
Logan,
White, Preston, Pearce;
Atkinson, MacDonald, Bishop, Khan, Benning;
Walker, Davies.

Thought formation was

3-4-1-2 with Khan playing behind the front two but in front of Bishop and MacDonald.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:37 pm

Really feel for young Walker the lad isn’t clicking, he needs a goal, could see his head dropping at times near the end of the first half
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby G B » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:42 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:I tell you what, he looks better than Tyler Walker who hasn't shown a deal at all yet!!!

I’m sure he will given more time.
Very impressive performance by the Stags against a Derby team that were clearly up for it. We defended well when under the cosh, rode our luck a couple of times, came out the other side and as the game progressed got better and better.
The performance of some of the young lads and squad players was a really pleasant surprise.
I also think there should be a special mention for Craig Davies who impressed me greatly first half. A bit of a beast who looks good in the air, can hold the ball up well with his strength and also appears to have a good touch / ability for a big lad. Looks what we were missing last season to me and I hope he’s got the same appetite and desire as the season progresses.
G B
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:42 pm

He’s played 2 and 1/2 games
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:43 pm

That pre season performance was better than all last seasons put together
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:49 pm

Pleasing performance, let's hope we can play like that in the league (when it counts).

Pity about Cameron, with his experience he could have been a real asset.

I suppose it's better for us it happening now, than the first game of the season.

Can't see him being given the chance to sign. Unless the injury is unrelated to his previous one.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:50 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:0-0 good half Davis real target man, Walker not really been in it, Atkinson getting skinned shocker

Give over Yorkie lad. Up against Tom Lawrence who's top class. Atko did fine and stayed on for the full 90.

Shocker!!! Tell me again what was the final score. Is Atko your new Jimmy Spencer this season :oops:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:00 pm

Spiritater wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:0-0 good half Davis real target man, Walker not really been in it, Atkinson getting skinned shocker

Give over Yorkie lad. Up against Tom Lawrence who's top class. Atko did fine and stayed on for the full 90.

Shocker!!! Tell me again what was the final score. Is Atko your new Jimmy Spencer this season :oops:

howd on youth he int that bad, as i told you tonight Atkinson is no wing back, he would be skinned alive with his lack of pace, agree though tom lawrence was pure clsss
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:04 pm

Berryhillstagno1 wrote:Just got back, what a difference, I now see what Flitcroft means on energy levels and pressing. I don't remember seeing this level last season, throughout the entire squad. Angol, Butcher, Digby and Mellis have shown the qualities that we need this season. Take the two mentioned off the transfer list as they were impressive tonight . CJ at left back is inspired, My MOM was Atkinson. Early days but same players that were poor last season are energised. Youngsters brilliant. For those of you who saw us lose to Swindon last season at home. We played like they did quick, punchy and energised.

Yorkie sadly has him marked down to be shot at dawn.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:10 pm

wasn't poor keeping, it was a good goal with pace on it.

Second half team did look better but against a very disjointed second string derby in the second half... first half we couldn't get near them.

Cj - Covered at the back well.
Logan - one big crucial-ish-for a friendly save
OSJ - sharper and fitter than last year. Break away, cutting inside and the pass for the third goal brilliant. Tricky little player. Lost concentration a couple times when tracking back in midfield but mellis was telling him.
Mellis - best on the ball, really hope we see the best of him. looked confident making passes.
Digby, keep him and give him time.
Preston looks solid and clever.
Pearce, solid big man as always
Khan - looks good. was up against max Lowe who is a quality full back.
Angol - looked happy to be playing for a change.
Davies - up against wisdom and Curtis Davies he did well at times with his back to goal.

Nice to see the lads in action again. IN DF WE TRUST! bring on the season, our pace will hurt this league.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:16 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:That is a shame. We need another centre half. Mirfin and cameron can't be relied upon.

White has to play wingback or maybe ando?

Mirfin out 'till Christmas, according to Dean tonight during the commentary. Keeping my fingers crossed for Cameron. His career is staring down a barrel. Diamond crocked too.

We need cover sharpish methinks!
Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby old stag » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:18 pm

Well done to all tonight, I couldn’t make it but sounds promising D F has a point to prove, like the new approach to give youth a chance, all ready ticketed for the next 3 friendly ‘s COYS.
old stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:34 pm

Son Of Sherwood wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:That is a shame. We need another centre half. Mirfin and cameron can't be relied upon.

White has to play wingback or maybe ando?

Mirfin out 'till Christmas, according to Dean tonight during the commentary. Keeping my fingers crossed for Cameron. His career is staring down a barrel. Diamond crocked too.

We need cover sharpish methinks!

White was excellent at centre back tonight, but yes we do still need at least one, even if Digby stays.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby 88BenM » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:37 pm

Sad to see Cameron crawl off of the pitch and punch the turf as he did, a real shame for the lad.

That was a very impressive Stags performance in all aspects really. First half up against what you'd consider to be a first team Derby side, we coped really well without the ball, not allowing them to play through us like we've seen in seasons gone by. Atkinson was good whilst in possession of the ball but his positional play meant the left sides Derby players had acres of space to run into, but nonetheless a good performance from him. I thought Hayden White really looked good in his position, his pace could be crucial in getting us out of jail when Pearce and Preston are beaten, the way he wrestled Cameron Jerome off the ball in the first half is testament to that.
The subs in the 2nd half all had an impact, Mellis, Angol, CJ all looked really good, but special mention to OSJ. Whatever he's been doing over the summer has worked and worked well, what a ball for Angol for the 3rd goal. I'll be the first to hold my hands up and say that I wanted Flitcroft out at the end of last season, but based on what I've seen in the couple of pre-season friendlies I've witnessed, he could very well be the man that moves this club forwards. Fingers crossed.
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Grendon Stag » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:39 pm

Kenwood wrote:
Stoney wrote:Graham looks a real talent, so strong and composed for a young lad!

Totally agree pre-season is exactly that and you shouldn’t judge too much.. from most players But he looks like he could be very good, I am struggling to remember a more promising debut performance from a young player.

I can remember Gibbens when he came on tonight.
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Warsop Stag » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:00 pm

It’s just a friendly, but a few observations:

Davies looked very good tonight, he could be a big player for us this year. Won his headers plus a very good touch and excellent link up play.

Preston was solid and distributed the ball very well.

Khan has skill to burn and if we can integrate him properly will be a handful for opposing defences.

Never thought I’d see Butcher in a Stags short again but he did well and looked fit.

OSJ looked really lively and very fit.

Atkinson was excellent, calm, assured and used the ball well. No pace but an excellent footballer.

Walker was very quiet and looked lightweight.

Bishop clearly has a lot of nous and is an excellent signing.

CJ looked fit and strong and was very good for the last 30 mins.

The kids that came on did really well. Gibbens looks physically ready, as does Graham. Didn’t see enough of Blake to comment but great to see these lads being blooded.

All in all an excellent work out, very encouraging and always a pleasure to dick a Derbyshire side.
Warsop Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum