{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Derby County game

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Derby County game

Postby halifaxstag » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:16 pm

milne6 wrote:I thought 1st half the defence was a bit messy, Pearce and Preston kept losing there position and drifting and looked like derby county was just playing with us..
Midfield sat very deep but that was expected playing a fairly strong championship team

2nd half I thought we was much better, chased more balls down, got stuck in.. midfield had better shape.. I was shocked how well the make shift defence of Atkinson, Digby, Gibbens and CJ held up two half.. has most of derbys best chances came earlier on in the game

Still (like others) not convince at Atkinson.. hes doesn't pass forward and always play safe option and goes back to defence.. a wing back should be quick and attacking..

Davies looked a handful! very excited to watch him against some L2 defenders and finally Kahn, looked promising again, start slow but got into the game well and have a few moments of nice foot work!

Not bad for a 49 year old goalie. Even the Derby match report referred to him as Oliver... :lol: :lol: :lol:
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Dan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:30 pm

Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:42 pm

Did anyone get Fwank's reaction to t'game in an interview? Bet he never saw that coming and'll have smacked home to him that this management lark aint no walk in t'park.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:08 pm

Spiritater wrote:Did anyone get Fwank's reaction to t'game in an interview?

no. Jody Morris did the post match interviews.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:48 pm

halifaxstag wrote:
milne6 wrote:I thought 1st half the defence was a bit messy, Pearce and Preston kept losing there position and drifting and looked like derby county was just playing with us..
Midfield sat very deep but that was expected playing a fairly strong championship team

2nd half I thought we was much better, chased more balls down, got stuck in.. midfield had better shape.. I was shocked how well the make shift defence of Atkinson, Digby, Gibbens and CJ held up two half.. has most of derbys best chances came earlier on in the game

Still (like others) not convince at Atkinson.. hes doesn't pass forward and always play safe option and goes back to defence.. a wing back should be quick and attacking..

Davies looked a handful! very excited to watch him against some L2 defenders and finally Kahn, looked promising again, start slow but got into the game well and have a few moments of nice foot work!

Not bad for a 49 year old goalie. Even the Derby match report referred to him as Oliver... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Our team sheet had got him down as Oliver Khan (you can see it in the link to the photos above ;) )
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:18 pm

Slightly worrying that Pearce and Preston not very good first half as would expect them to be the best pairing at the back from the defenders we have .
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:30 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Slightly worrying that Pearce and Preston not very good first half as would expect them to be the best pairing at the back from the defenders we have .

Clean sheet against a fancied Championship team for promotion who were in the play off last season?!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:41 pm

Dan wrote:
tillydog123 wrote:Slightly worrying that Pearce and Preston not very good first half as would expect them to be the best pairing at the back from the defenders we have .

Clean sheet against a fancied Championship team for promotion who were in the play off last season?!

Poor finishing from good play though that split our defence a few times as should be expected.
We won't get that sort of play in our league thankfully.
Pre season games against lower or higher teams is more about match fitness than what's to come.
:coys:
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:34 am

the only post match reaction from Lampard (he did not give an interview after the game)

Frank Lampard relishing 'special' moment as he prepares for Pride Park bow
First home game for Derby County boss as Rams take on Southampton in pre-season friendly

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/ ... rk-1809353

By Steve Nicholson, 21 JUL 2018

Frank Lampard is relishing his first match at Pride Park Stadium as Derby County manager.

The Rams face Southampton this afternoon (3pm) in their third friendly of pre-season, having beaten Notts County at Meadow Lane and lost to Mansfield Town at the One Call Stadium.

"Yes, it's very special for me, on a personal note, and the staff," said Lampard, when asked about today's game.

"When I took the job here I went to Pride Park and you could feel the magic of the stadium -and it was empty at the time!

"I am not too concerned with results, and I am not just talking about Mansfield, I am also talking about Notts County as well," he said.

"I am concerned with performance and hard work.

"Of course the performance against Mansfield wasn't as good, particularly the second half. That can happen in pre-season when you are working hard in training and trying to find solutions and combinations in the team.

"I am very happy with the work put in by the squad.

"Sometimes a negative result and performance can be a help because it can make you address the issues that become evident, and try and improve."

-----------------------
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum