{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Flitcroft press conference Tue 17 Jul

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Flitcroft press conference Tue 17 Jul

Postby stagsfan6493 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:48 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Anderson can play full back and wingback.
Digby can play across the back 3.

Keep them.

Expensive backups wages wise - see if anyone will take them off us, then if not, keep them!
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:08 pm

So what... They are already on the books so their wages are accounted and budgeted for. Who is to say the replacements may be worse players. Strength in depth i say.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:09 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
old ram stag wrote:two weeks from KO and we are looking at plan B loaning signings?

Only because we can't get rid of those on the transfer list.

Absolutely, all that 'quality', the Scotsman bought :lol:
Nobody wants them. Jeez that horrible git has a lot to answer for
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:33 pm

We've seen in the World Cup that youth/young lads is the way to go. No one will be expecting anything from our young lads which will help if & when they come into the squad/team. There's quite a few exciting youngsters. Get yourself to Matlock tonight & see for yourself.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:47 pm

Dan wrote:We've seen in the World Cup that youth/young lads is the way to go. No one will be expecting anything from our young lads which will help if & when they come into the squad/team. There's quite a few exciting youngsters. Get yourself to Matlock tonight & see for yourself.

This was always one of my major objections to Evans (and I had many!), he was never going to give our younger players a chance, even as a back up, so he signed a large, well paid squad, the repercussions of which are very clear to see.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:18 pm

Rob wrote:
Dan wrote:We've seen in the World Cup that youth/young lads is the way to go. No one will be expecting anything from our young lads which will help if & when they come into the squad/team. There's quite a few exciting youngsters. Get yourself to Matlock tonight & see for yourself.

This was always one of my major objections to Evans (and I had many!), he was never going to give our younger players a chance, even as a back up, so he signed a large, well paid squad, the repercussions of which are very clear to see.
I agree the way forward is with the youngsters.

But patience is required. If we start with a couple of youngsters and have a poor start, then the boo boys will appear.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:58 pm

Personally I feel a tad apprehensive about the season . I think Flitcroft wanted to offload a few players but because of their injuries and wages they probably want then the manager is lumbered with them . Diamonds injury doesn't sound good . Mirfin out until Christmas , Anderson is another that seems to struggling. Add to that we are talking about signing injury prone , Cameron .
I think the manager would of ideally iked to have got rid of at least four more players but now he's got to motivate the players he wanted rid of and they probably know the only reason they are still at the club is because of their injuries and no one has made a decent offer .
Bennett will be a huge loss . Only time will tell if the team is any better than last seasons . I think Khan and Bishop are very good signings .
Hopefully the players adapt to the managers style and players than under achieved last season , turn it on this season
Personally I hope we keep Digby . I don't think he's ever let us down no matter what position he's played . We are talking about bringing the young lads in when Digby already knows the team around him , he's young and can play different positions . Hope if given the chance , the young lads coming through will excel . If they don't then we won't hear the last of it .
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:23 pm

Are you referring to France ?
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby chip63 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:34 pm

Not sure if youngsters in the back four is a good thing, experience is what's required.
Making a mistake in the middle or up front doesn't have the same consequences.
Cup games I'm all for it if allowed.

:coys:
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:40 pm

chip63 wrote:Not sure if youngsters in the back four is a good thing, experience is what's required.

if we think like that forever, we'll never get youth into the first team.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:41 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Vice President » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:56 pm

abc wrote:

Regarding youngsters - I don't think you can compare France with Mansfield! :lol:

Regarding 3 at the back - France and Real Madrid won the two biggest prizes with a flat back four.
Last edited by Vice President on Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:03 pm

Vice President wrote:
abc wrote:

I don't think you can compare France with Mansfield! :lol: :lol:

They’ve got the Eiffel Tower. We’ve got the Bentinct Monument.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:21 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Vice President wrote:
abc wrote:

They look the same to me after a skinfull :lol:
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:31 pm

tmwilson wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Vice President wrote:
abc wrote:

They look the same to me after a skinfull :lol:

:lol: Clipstone Head Stocks have more appeal :lol:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:54 pm

Vice President wrote:
abc wrote:

Regarding youngsters - I don't think you can compare France with Mansfield! :lol:

Regarding 3 at the back - France and Real Madrid won the two biggest prizes with a flat back four.

He asked if I was REFERRING to France - which I was - not COMPARING them which would be a bit stupid.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:10 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
chip63 wrote:Not sure if youngsters in the back four is a good thing, experience is what's required.

if we think like that forever, we'll never get youth into the first team.

If I was the manager and my job and credibility relied on it I'm sorry to say I wouldn't.
It's wrong but it's how football is today I'm sorry to say.
There are players aged 22 plus who never get a game with the top clubs and are still loaned out each season.

chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:48 am

I don’t think anyone is saying play youngsters for the sake of it. I think the point is that if they are good enough give them a chance - Boam and Calderwood two of the finest defenders this club has seen played at an early age .

And look at the Lawrence Hassell Williamson Disley years.

From what I can see DF has got his focus right
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby RudyDude » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:57 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Vice President wrote:
abc wrote:

I think the Bentinck Memorial was meant to feature a statue of Lord William George Frederick Cavendish-Scott-Bentinck who it remembered after his untimely death aged 46, while out walking. He was a son of one of the Dukes of Portland.
The memorial was funded by public subscription but, in their defence, they ran out of money and could not afford him. In 1818, he had insulted his senior officer in the 9th Lancers by calling him a 'poltroon' (a dastardly coward) and a duel was planned to settle the matter but young George's uncle stopped it.
As an MP, he went 18 years before speaking in the House of Commons

:mtfc:
BLACK LIVES MATTER so I applaud players 'taking a knee'
RudyDude
First Team
First Team

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:04 am

RudyDude wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Vice President wrote:
abc wrote:

I think the Bentinck Memorial was meant to feature a statue of Lord William George Frederick Cavendish-Scott-Bentinck who it remembered after his untimely death aged 46, while out walking. He was a son of one of the Dukes of Portland.
The memorial was funded by public subscription but, in their defence, they ran out of money and could not afford him. In 1818, he had insulted his senior officer in the 9th Lancers by calling him a 'poltroon' (a dastardly coward) and a duel was planned to settle the matter but young George's uncle stopped it.

So he was an ancestor of Meale Ticket
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:08 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
RudyDude wrote:I think the Bentinck Memorial was meant to feature a statue of Lord William George Frederick Cavendish-Scott-Bentinck who it remembered after his untimely death aged 46, while out walking. He was a son of one of the Dukes of Portland.

So he was an ancestor of Meale Ticket

The only time Meale's mouth opened was at lunch or a pint during the interval
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum