{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Bradford PA v The mighty Stags

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Bradford PA v The mighty Stags

Postby BH_Stag » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:06 am

Did we play a different formation in the second half?

Will be interesting to see how we go on with 3-5-2, 5-3-2 (dress it up how you want) in the pre season games at home. Personally I’ve never been overly keen on it at our level and think we’ve always benefited when we’ve had proper wingers on the pitch. It seems like it will be the new trend now though so hope we get to grips with it over the coming weeks.

How did Cameron play? We’ll need at least 5 fit CB’s at the club if this is how we’re going to play in my opinion.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby withnail » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:39 am

tmwilson wrote:I can't believe what I'm reading . A player getting slated after 45 minutes play in a meaningless friendly . Must be a all time low . I suppose the lad should of run his spuds off , gone in for hard tackles knowing that it was just a run out for the squad .
I will judge players after a few games in to the season . Not after 45 minutes . Then again we could critise the 3 main signings for not scoring .

This, can't believe some of the comments about Bishop. Give the lads a chance to gel, improve their fitness and sharpness, particularly the new signings - surely that's what pre season is for!
withnail
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:41 am

BH_Stag wrote:Did we play a different formation in the second half?

Will be interesting to see how we go on with 3-5-2, 5-3-2 (dress it up how you want) in the pre season games at home. Personally I’ve never been overly keen on it at our level and think we’ve always benefited when we’ve had proper wingers on the pitch. It seems like it will be the new trend now though so hope we get to grips with it over the coming weeks.

How did Cameron play? We’ll need at least 5 fit CB’s at the club if this is how we’re going to play in my opinion.

no, same formation in both halves.

See my report for brief comment on Cameron.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:55 am

Amber Andy wrote:
DogsDoDahs wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:Bishop early candidate for Boo boy

After 1 game.

Sorry I dont want to pick any player out at all for criticism. I was actually at the game and he was not impressive at all. Dont actually think he was a managers signing really more like its my team i own it and i want him here. Could work out and I hope it does for the sake of the stags 18/19 season but not on that showing tonight against a sixth level team captain. :coys:

So Bishop was a JR signing ! Conspiracy theory shocker.

I wonder where this sort of theory comes from..... :roll:

Give the man a chance.
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby tillydog123 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:10 am

Another Diamond in the making ????
Hope not
He should not have been as bad as that surely even though rusty and early days.
A lot riding on his signing and will be interesting to see next 3 games.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:38 am

Bishop will be a good player for us. His experience will be key for us going forward, on the field and off it for the younger lads, to learn from.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby Alwaysa5tag » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:43 am

Honestly some people on here are just pathetic, already jumping on a player after 45 mins of football.... just laughable.
Alwaysa5tag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Captain Cunno » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:33 am

tmwilson wrote:I can't believe what I'm reading . A player getting slated after 45 minutes play in a meaningless friendly . Must be a all time low . I suppose the lad should of run his spuds off , gone in for hard tackles knowing that it was just a run out for the squad .
I will judge players after a few games in to the season . Not after 45 minutes . Then again we could critise the 3 main signings for not scoring .

Cheers
Saved me typing it.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:49 am

Captain Cunno wrote:

Cheers
Saved me typing it.

Agree with these. First pre-season match and a player is supposed to show top form? I'd expect them all to be very rusty and not at all sharp. Plus, it's basically a non-competitive training match. Plus, the manager might give a player instructions that will make him look poor to a spectator. The manager might want to try a system that turns out not to work. And so on.

I think that charging to see a training match like this is bad - it sends out a message that the match is going to be reasonably competitive. So people make assumptions about players when they're at a disadvantage, and they get a reputation before the season even starts.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:39 am

Bradders wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:

Cheers
Saved me typing it.

Agree with these. First pre-season match and a player is supposed to show top form? I'd expect them all to be very rusty and not at all sharp. Plus, it's basically a non-competitive training match. Plus, the manager might give a player instructions that will make him look poor to a spectator. The manager might want to try a system that turns out not to work. And so on.

I think that charging to see a training match like this is bad - it sends out a message that the match is going to be reasonably competitive. So people make assumptions about players when they're at a disadvantage, and they get a reputation before the season even starts.

Agree with above. Pre season friendly fgs. Many factors involved.
Was our second half team better than first half team?
Were Park Avenue much better/ stronger in the first half than second?
Did the half time talk alter the way we played?
Etc, etc.
Flitcroft and the staff will have done some analysis this morning on player stats and performance. I suspect that the first half team worked just as hard as the second particularly the defence. I will personally only make real judgements when we start playing competitive matches.
Regarding paying to watch these games: you know what you are going to get and you make that choice. Personally I saw ten new players in a Stags shirt playing in a new formation. Probably won’t go to any of the Saturday games due to not knowing who is playing at Gainsborough or Hednesford. Will be attending 3 of the home games. Enjoyable evening for a similar price as going to the cinema (no petrol money as I live very local to Horsfall ground)
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:40 am

halifaxstag wrote:
Bradders wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:

Cheers
Saved me typing it.

Agree with above. Pre season friendly fgs. Many factors involved.
Was our second half team better than first half team?
Were Park Avenue much better/ stronger in the first half than second?
Did the half time talk alter the way we played?
Etc, etc.
Flitcroft and the staff will have done some analysis this morning on player stats and performance. I suspect that the first half team worked just as hard as the second particularly the defence. I will personally only make real judgements when we start playing competitive matches.
Regarding paying to watch these games: you know what you are going to get and you make that choice. Personally I saw ten new players in a Stags shirt playing in a new formation. Probably won’t go to any of the Saturday games due to not knowing who is playing at Gainsborough or Hednesford. Will be attending 3 of the home games. Enjoyable evening for a similar price as going to the cinema (no petrol money as I live very local to Horsfall ground)

To be fair, even Flitcroft said the intensity wasn't there first half.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:02 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:FT BPA 0-3 Mansfield. Very good 2nd half from Mansfield. Mellis outstanding and with 1 goal. Angol lively with 2 goals. Full report tonight

So wished we'd let Angol go and kept Miller ;)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:06 pm

DogsDoDahs wrote:

After 1 game.

Sorry I dont want to pick any player out at all for criticism. I was actually at the game and he was not impressive at all. Dont actually think he was a managers signing really more like its my team i own it and i want him here. Could work out and I hope it does for the sake of the stags 18/19 season but not on that showing tonight against a sixth level team captain. :coys:

Unbelievable
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:11 pm

Bradford looks way more pleasing to the eye than i remember it
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:21 pm

Pre season results don’t mean that much, even though I like to win them. It’s all about fitness and learning about tatics and team mates.

At 36 it might take bishop a bit more training to get up to speed. I’m sure he’ll get there.

Angol looking a good player like he did last preseason hopefully he can maintain it this year and shut up a few boo boys.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby tmwilson » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:17 pm

I understand why some critise Angol . He does look lazy , awkward and not a team player but that's the way he is . It's not like Ilhe came with a reputation of being a player who runs around for 90 minutes , goes in for hard tackles and backtracks on each counter attack and all of a sudden turns into a complete different player with us . He is what he is . Sometimes not nice to watch but I don't think we can do too much about it .
I had a good friend from Sheffield who has now passed away . He was a huge Wednesday fan and if the Stags wasn't playing I would go to the games with him .Chris Waddle reminds me of Angol in some respects . He would stand there , waiting for the ball to come to him . Shoulders hunched, hands on hips . Occasionally he would back track and sometimes get stuck in . Some Wednesday fans moaned at the way he was when he first arrived but then got to realise that was the kind of player he was and accepted it .

I backed Angol last season as I will this season . I would of bet anything that If he had played the same minutes as Rose that he would of scored more .
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:02 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:Bradford looks way more pleasing to the eye than i remember it

Everything looks better on a sunny day.
To be fair you only skim the outskirts of Bradford to get to Horsfall ground. A journey to Valley Parade takes you through different areas. The city centre is much improved with Centenary Square mirror pool and fountains looking great and the Broadway shopping centre providing better facilities.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:19 pm

tmwilson wrote:I understand why some critise Angol . He does look lazy , awkward and not a team player but that's the way he is . It's not like Ilhe came with a reputation of being a player who runs around for 90 minutes , goes in for hard tackles and backtracks on each counter attack and all of a sudden turns into a complete different player with us . He is what he is . Sometimes not nice to watch but I don't think we can do too much about it .
I had a good friend from Sheffield who has now passed away . He was a huge Wednesday fan and if the Stags wasn't playing I would go to the games with him .Chris Waddle reminds me of Angol in some respects . He would stand there , waiting for the ball to come to him . Shoulders hunched, hands on hips . Occasionally he would back track and sometimes get stuck in . Some Wednesday fans moaned at the way he was when he first arrived but then got to realise that was the kind of player he was and accepted it .

I backed Angol last season as I will this season . I would of bet anything that If he had played the same minutes as Rose that he would of scored more .
Wasn't Isyden Christie a bit like that. Despite it he became a fan's favourite. I think Lee Angol will be much improved this season.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:05 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
tmwilson wrote:I understand why some critise Angol . He does look lazy , awkward and not a team player but that's the way he is . It's not like Ilhe came with a reputation of being a player who runs around for 90 minutes , goes in for hard tackles and backtracks on each counter attack and all of a sudden turns into a complete different player with us . He is what he is . Sometimes not nice to watch but I don't think we can do too much about it .

Wasn't Isyden Christie a bit like that. Despite it he became a fan's favourite. I think Lee Angol will be much improved this season.

Correct Andy .
A Alfreton fan once told me that one of the laziest barstools they ever had was also the greatest player they ever had .....Liam Hearn .
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:06 am

bellwhiff wrote:
DogsDoDahs wrote:

After 1 game.

Unbelievable

Dropped out of first team already you better believe it will be very lucky to be on subs bench
:coys:
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:57 am

DogsDoDahs wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
DogsDoDahs wrote:

After 1 game.

Unbelievable

Dropped out of first team already you better believe it will be very lucky to be on subs bench
:coys:
Its too early yet to know who will be in the first team.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:56 am

Injuries excepted, expect Bishop to start 30-odd games.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:40 am

Don’t bash the bishop.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:58 am

halifaxstag wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:Bradford looks way more pleasing to the eye than i remember it

To be fair you only skim the outskirts of Bradford to get to Horsfall ground. A journey to Valley Parade takes you through different areas. The city centre is much improved with Centenary Square mirror pool and fountains looking great and the Broadway shopping centre providing better facilities.

Definitely sounds like an improvement, Halifax.

Just glad they found a patch of grass that didn't have travellers horses on

We always thought of Bradford & Leeds as like 2 sons. Bradford was the spotty unloved lump that never left home or amounted to owt, while Leeds was the bright young sporty academic one adored by all ;)
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:24 am

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
halifaxstag wrote:

Definitely sounds like an improvement, Halifax.

Just glad they found a patch of grass that didn't have travellers horses on

We always thought of Bradford & Leeds as like 2 sons. Bradford was the spotty unloved lump that never left home or amounted to owt, while Leeds was the bright young sporty academic one adored by all ;)

Leeds is a classy city with classless residents
Bradford lacks class but has a SOUL
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum