{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stadium Improvements

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stadium Improvements

Postby StagsFan83 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:41 pm

Watching the Blackburn Wigan game on tv, it got me thinking what small and mid size improvements could be made to our ground (not personnel such as stewards!) to make it a better place?
My first would be an improved speaker system, the speakers in place are far to small, they're screechy, and wouldn't look out of place at a much smaller stadium. From a bit of research the whole speaker system could be replaced for £10-12k to give a louder, clearer, more musically pleasing (deeper bass, clearer treble) system, which would improve the atmosphere when building up pre game and at half time. This could be funded by auctioning off to someone their choice of pre match songs, and another auction for half time songs. I know the club already asks what everyone would like, but at best you get 4/5 fan chosen songs per game plus regular songs that are played week in week out. Wouldn't it be great to hear your choice of songs for pre match or at half time?
Second improvement, the technical area, build it in to the stand, 4/5 rows of seats, with a middle area between the two technical areas which could simply lead to a room where officials can store equipment?
My third and final idea, again how easy this would be I'm unsure, but to clean or replace the sides of West stand, the clear plastic material over the years has taken its toll.
StagsFan83
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Stadium Improvements

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:53 pm

Rather spend the money on the playing staff.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:53 pm

No idea how much it would cost but I do loke the look of the giant photograph montages at the end of the stands at Bournemouth's ground.

The outer shell of Field Mill looks cheap (and we all know why). The facilities are miles better than 5 years ago, but the original spec left no corner uncut, which I think limits what JR can do short of knocking the whole thing down and starting again.
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:56 pm

bellwhiff wrote:Rather spend the money on the playing staff.

I think we all would, but I think the bars have shown that money spent in the right areas actually generate income.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:32 pm

Yes it could but changing the sides of the West Stand isn’t a revenue generator.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:33 pm

bellwhiff wrote:Yes it could but changing the sides of the West Stand isn’t a revenue generator.

I'm sure Paul Nyland could find a sponsor. :lol:
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby DamianPS » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:15 pm

Mine would be a quick win - Cashless payment in the stands for food, drinks & also programmes - the investment would be worth the revenue it would generate.

Alternatively, a loaded cash card for swiping at the kiosks - this would be a cashflow generator for the club as well.
DamianPS
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:34 pm

If the money was there id like to see the exterior of the 3 stands given a facelift. Maybe dark blue cladding and the back of the west stand reception area being made dark glass fronted.

Im guessing some of this will be updated if the hotel gets built but at the moment the the playing staff is priority.

Would also like to see a proper premiership class technical area built with racecar seats in the dugouts.

Easy to make suggestions though when its not your money.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:37 pm

Speed up service in sandy pate with an outside bottle only bar.

Bishop street stand.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:49 pm

StagsFan83 wrote: to give a louder, clearer, more musically pleasing

Louder? Please no...I used to turn up about half an hour before kickoff to have a bit of a chat with people but nowadays it's as close to the match starting time as possible as the PA system is earsplitting. So no chance of a chat, and it's boring just sitting there squeezed into a cramped seat waiting for the start. I rarely like any of the music so it's just annoying, and the sound quality is OK, just too loud.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Minky123 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:54 pm

DamianPS wrote:Mine would be a quick win - Cashless payment in the stands for food, drinks & also programmes - the investment would be worth the revenue it would generate.

Alternatively, a loaded cash card for swiping at the kiosks - this would be a cashflow generator for the club as well.

Completely agree with cashless payment , i dont carry cash and often forget before a game and im then stuck unable to get a drink sweets etc for my son.
Everywhere is contacless these days we need to get with the times.
Minky123
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Barrel of the Best » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:27 pm

The North Stand and QLE could both do with plastic wind shields on the sides. Despite being under cover you are open to the elements if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction.

Agree the PA is too loud which is probably why it sounds bad quality, it's close to distortion levels.

If promoted the big one is obviously Bishop Street. It will look a right Bobby Dazzler in L1 :lol:
Barrel of the Best
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby stag861 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:52 pm

At least the PA works now.
stag861
First Team
First Team

Postby Fitzy499 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:03 pm

I would put flood lights on the west stand roof then get rid of the two flood lights between west and wake and west and north stands. Should make it a little brighter too.

Also, solar panels on the roofs of all stands to generate our own power and in turn reduce energy costs.

Eventually knock the houses down behind bishop street, build a new stand with changing rooms, conference rooms, bars etc. Corporate boxes also. This will all generate income to help make the club more sustainable in the long term. And a car park behind the bishop street stand

COYS
Fitzy499
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Tre Cool » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:18 pm

I would cover the areas behind the QLE and North stand. It can't be very pleasant queuing for a half time pie in an area open to the elements.

I think the main entrance to the SPB should be through one of the fire doors. It may look a bit more inviting and going through the current entrance and through the door on the left creates a bit of a bottleneck on a match day. I'd also rebrand it "Sandy's Sports bar" The Sandy Pate sports Bar doesn't roll off the tongue.

It bugs me how the director's box isn't in line with the half way line so I would move it along to make the West stand symmetrical. :lol:

Finally sorting bishop street like the above said but that would be a major improvement.
Tre Cool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby No Breaks Allowed » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:40 pm

Think the next big development at the ground besides the hotel, will be bishop street stand with either boxes built into it, or in west stand . We need to increase the corporate side of the club, to generate extra revenue. But we would need to go up and ensure we stay in league one be it happens.

Other smaller improvements I’d suggest, improve toilets in home ends, bigger tv screens in stand, catering in stand.
No Breaks Allowed
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:35 pm

More pubes for the Steve Evans Memorial Dam!!!
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:02 pm

Bishop street stand , that's it
a stag is a proud & noble beast
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby staffoni » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:14 pm

Amberheart wrote:Bishop street stand , that's it

This. If this is ever sorted, we will have a ground that we can be proud of, and I am sure it would bring more fans back to the One Call. The other modifications are all sound and I am sure will improve the match day experience, as well as hopefully increase income streams.
staffoni
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:20 pm

Especially the Dam.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:24 pm

Bishop street stand , that's it

I am sure it would bring more fans back to the One Call

Is this a wind up? Not once, literally not once have I ever heard or caught wind of someone not going to a game because of the state of the Bishop Street side of the ground.
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:30 pm

I'm not saying anything, because I have given myself a 100 day ban on a certain subject! :lol:

I agree with most of what has been said. There are lots of little things that can be done, that in totality can make a big difference. And it is not always simply about 'revenue generating' initiatives, important though they are. The new hotel is a great prospect, and I really hope it comes to fruition, sooner rather than later - (as it will create a hive of activity, increase opportunities, generate cash, fill in a corner, and hopefully provide a better club shop, ticket office and tunnel area).

There is something else that would really make the ground complete, but I can't remember what that is right now. ;)
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:36 pm

DamianPS wrote:Mine would be a quick win - Cashless payment in the stands for food, drinks & also programmes - the investment would be worth the revenue it would generate.

What about a turnstile at each stand that accepts cashless payment? For the floating fan that every club yearns for. Congestion and overcrowding should not be an issue in the 21st Century as all the turnstiles could network in win the central ticketing system.
I am Spartacus
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:46 pm

I think all ST holders and those that are bothered should set up a standing order for £1 a week to be paid into a fund (administered by the SSA) to help pay for these improvements. A sort of resurrection of the 12th Stag fund. Folk are all for spending JR's cash but if we were seen to be doing a bit extra to help it may make him feel as though we are helping in some way.

Say we raise 1.5k a week from the £1 a week standing orders after a month there'd be 6k in the kitty. A year and then there's £72k.... we could pay for the demolition (or part of it) on the Bish. It's what we want isn't it. Why don't we help?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:21 pm

Spiritater wrote:I think all ST holders and those that are bothered should set up a standing order for £1 a week to be paid into a fund (administered by the SSA) to help pay for these improvements. A sort of resurrection of the 12th Stag fund. Folk are all for spending JR's cash but if we were seen to be doing a bit extra to help it may make him feel as though we are helping in some way.

Say we raise 1.5k a week from the £1 a week standing orders after a month there'd be 6k in the kitty. A year and then there's £72k.... we could pay for the demolition (or part of it) on the Bish. It's what we want isn't it. Why don't we help?

Isn’t this already called being an Amber member of the SSA.
Can we play Accrington Stanley every week.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum